What are you currently reading?

darksabre

I like books better, but there are a couple that make me wish I had a kindle (because they are huge and unwieldy) and I do keep a couple of books--usually public domain works that are free downloads--on my phone and iPad in case I need something to read and don't have a book with me.

I haven't been buying many books lately, but that's more because I haven't been reading as much. I've bought a couple ebooks, but I'm mostly avoiding them as I don't know how long the formats (or more importantly, the DRM scheme) will last. I'll be pissed if I have to go re-purchase things. I'm the same way about music, I still buy CDs.

But for public domain stuff (like gutenberg.org) and the library, ebooks are generally cool. It's really nice when travelling light to only have to pack a small tablet-like device rather than one or more books (that may get damp, in the case of motorcycle camping).

I'm a conventional book guy. I get a simple satisfaction out of turning pages and seeing how much thickness remains in the book I'm reading. I have no desire to go to e-books.

Exactly why I was reluctant at first, but I prefer the ebook now.

And my father, a voracious reader and curmudgeon, scoffed at me when I bought him a kindle last year. He told me to return it actually, and one year later the man is addicted to his kindle.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I haven't been buying many books lately, but that's more because I haven't been reading as much. I've bought a couple ebooks, but I'm mostly avoiding them as I don't know how long the formats (or more importantly, the DRM scheme) will last. I'll be pissed if I have to go re-purchase things. I'm the same way about music, I still buy CDs.

But for public domain stuff (like gutenberg.org) and the library, ebooks are generally cool. It's really nice when travelling light to only have to pack a small tablet-like device rather than one or more books (that may get damp, in the case of motorcycle camping).

I use calibre to manage my ebook library, there is an add-on for it that allows you to break the DRM if you want to convert to .mobi from epub for example.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

As for the desire to watch your bookshelves fill up with conventional books, when you have young kids and all the crap that they accumulate, being able to hold hundreds of books in your pocket and not having the walls cave in around you has its advantages. Speaking of kids, four year old girls also can't rip out or write on the pages of an ebook either. ;)

I'll give that a very strong second recommendation. An unbelievable story of a true American hero.

Agreed! On the point of ebooks, I bought my GF a kindle for christmas and I have the app on my ipad, I love them both! the only way i would buy a real book is if I want it on a shelf in my home or they dont have a digital version. So much easier than lugging a book around especially on long flights

Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard. About the rise to the Presidency and assassination of James Garfield. My goal is to read at least one book about every US President in the next two years.

I read that one, a very good read. I'd also recommend The President and the Assasin, about the McKinley presidency and assasination. I was interested to learn that the location of the Temple of Music where McKinley was shot is marked on a quiet residential street in Buffalo.

McKinley assasination marker

• 3 weeks later...

I have finished Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. Nowhere near as good as his other two books.

On to some fiction: Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Hoeg. Mostly because I've never read anything that takes place in Greenland before.

Edited by Eleven

Good choice.

It's sad (or at least, the first section is), but suspenseful. I'm really enjoying it. And the translation is exceedingly well-written, which is good, because I myself have a lot of writing to do today, and I always feel like I write better after reading something that is written well.

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of items for this thread:

1. Has anyone read any David Eggers? He was recommended to me recently. Among other points, he was described as being similar to Jonathan Franzen, who I think is terrific.

2. Just switched to reading the paper every day on the kindle fire. Highly recommended.

Finished the newest edition of Beowulf yesterday and finally went back to reading Theodore Rex.

My girlfriend's parents always bring me books from their basement, of which they have an extensive collection. I make requests on topics and then when they come up from Ohio they bring me a bunch. They always have something. Her dad is a genius.

So yesterday they delivered the following to me:

I had requested anything on "old engines" and was given the best possible resources, including:

Audels Engineers and Mechanics Guide 4, © 1921.

Horseless Carriage Days by Hiram Percy Maxim, a 1962 reprint of a 1937 edition.

Excuse My Dust by Bellamy Partridge © 1943.

On top of that, I'd requested anything on Herbert Hoover, and was given:

The Shattered Dream by Gene Smith © 1970

The Crisis of the Old Order by Arthur Schlesinger © 1957

They had also just returned from Australia, so for something completely different they had bought me a book on Jackaroos.

Jackaroo, A Memoir by Michael Thornton © 2011

Nearly all of my reading is fluff. Fiction. Tending towards science fiction and action/adventure. I read almost exclusively for entertainment.

Just finished a book by Robert Ruark. His greatest claim to fame was a book detailing an African adventure. It led to a long running series of articles over many years for Field and Stream magazine and more African adventure stories. I love African adventure stories and found a hardcover written by him in a used book store called The Honey Badger. Sounds like an African story, right? It's not. It is the tale of an author who goes through a mid-life crisis. The lead character is not terribly likeable, he's a womanizer and a bigot. But I found the book very well written and engaging. It wasn't what I was hoping for but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a good story, and Ruark's literary style provides plenty of character development and interesting, believable dialog. And he manages to weave a little African adventure story into this tale. And he uses the animals and people that the lead character comes in contact with to draw parallels to the lead characters life.

If you like Hemmingway or Steinbeck I think Ruark will work for you as well.

Couple of items for this thread:

1. Has anyone read any David Eggers? He was recommended to me recently. Among other points, he was described as being similar to Jonathan Franzen, who I think is terrific.

2. Just switched to reading the paper every day on the kindle fire. Highly recommended.

Eggers has a MASSIVE ego that comes out in his work. Be prepared for that.

Nearly all of my reading is fluff. Fiction. Tending towards science fiction and action/adventure. I read almost exclusively for entertainment.

Just finished a book by Robert Ruark. His greatest claim to fame was a book detailing an African adventure. It led to a long running series of articles over many years for Field and Stream magazine and more African adventure stories. I love African adventure stories and found a hardcover written by him in a used book store called The Honey Badger. Sounds like an African story, right? It's not. It is the tale of an author who goes through a mid-life crisis. The lead character is not terribly likeable, he's a womanizer and a bigot. But I found the book very well written and engaging. It wasn't what I was hoping for but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It's a good story, and Ruark's literary style provides plenty of character development and interesting, believable dialog. And he manages to weave a little African adventure story into this tale. And he uses the animals and people that the lead character comes in contact with to draw parallels to the lead characters life.

If you like Hemmingway or Steinbeck I think Ruark will work for you as well.

I like Hemingway and Steinbeck, so I'll give that a shot sometime. Sounds like a Richard Russo or Jane Smiley novel.

Yesterday I started and finished The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's a children's adventure novel and I adored it. Filled with wonderful puns and considerable admiration of plays on words and thoughts. If you enjoyed Alice In Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass I highlt recommend Tollbooth.

After Tollbooth, I started Children and Fire by Ursula Heigi. Too early to make a determination on quality, I will be sure to let you know if it's worth reading.

In my queue after that:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlin

Watchmen by Alan Moore

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire Part 3)

Yesterday I started and finished The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. It's a children's adventure novel and I adored it. Filled with wonderful puns and considerable admiration of plays on words and thoughts. If you enjoyed Alice In Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass I highlt recommend Tollbooth.

After Tollbooth, I started Children and Fire by Ursula Heigi. Too early to make a determination on quality, I will be sure to let you know if it's worth reading.

In my queue after that:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlin

Watchmen by Alan Moore

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire Part 3)

Gotta read Phantom Tollbooth every decade or so.

Started Steven Hunters' 47th Samurai. I mentioned Hunter much earlier in this thread. He's the writer behind the book that became the movie Shooter (Mark Wahlberg). That book was the first of what became a franchise involving a character named Bob Lee Swagger. I enjoyed all of them. I'm not enjoying this one. It has Hunters' typical style, which I enjoy alot, but the premise is a bit of a laugher. It is like watching a late 80's - early 90's Schwarzenegger movie.

Great thread everybody!

Most recent: Illicit: how smugglers, traffickers, and copycats are hijacking the global economy by Moises Naim

Current: Life of Pi: a novel by Yann Martel

Next: Live From New York an Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live by Tom Shales & James Andrew Miller

Edited by Spun

Phantom Tollbooth was my favorite book as a kid!

...I recently read Generation Me by Jean Twenge. Highly entertaining.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.