GDT: Buffalo at Long Island, 2/4/12 at 7pm

Eleven

Congrats to Ryan Miller for surpassing Hasek with his 235th win tonight. At the end of the first, I wasn't so sure it was going to happen, but the boys rallied and Miller played great second, third, and overtime periods to win it. Excellent shoot-out as well. Good to see will have a few highlights to celebrate from this no-so-stellar season :flirt:

The defender slid into the post. Unless they changed the rule, it is not a penalty everytime a defender knocks the net off. There has to be a clear intent to stop play. The defender there is under no obligation to avoid the post at all cost.

We saw the same play, and I saw a guy who definitely aimed for the post. We'll never prove each other wrong, of course.

1) If I never hear Sylvester call a game again, I'll be a happy man. The sports bar--and 90% of the patrons were there to watch the Sabres because of the TWC situation--unanimously voted for music instead of game sound for the second and third periods. I'm not kidding. The first was that bad, and the rest of it, well, we listened to Modest Mouse and whatever else. Good Lord, that man can completely kill a hockey game. Please, no more.

2) Don't know what to say about Stafford; he had his moment of redemption on the Sabs' first goal, and then reverted right back into Staffordom. Roy wasn't terrific, either.

6) Another bull-###### penalty in OT, and frankly, there should have been one going the Sabs' way nearly immediately before. You can't tell me with a straight face that the net really needed to be knocked off there.

1. I don't love Sylvester, but I think Gare is substantially worse.

2. Stafford was terrible. He made zero plays and he lost just about every battle. He plays a completely reactive (as opposed to proactive) game. His presence on the Gerbe-Ennis line was the definition of "passenger."

6. I thought there should've been a penalty on the Islanders on that play as well.

Here's the rest of my in-person-attendance game report:

- the Sabres looked great for most of the first period, then totally disheartened after giving up the 2 goals and played listlessly in the 2nd until Roy's goal restored their spirit.

- Kaleta did a great job taking on a bigger man in that fight in an effort to get his team going. He did fine in the fight too.

- Miller locked it up in the 2nd, 3rd and OT.

- For those who keep saying Weber should play over MAG because Weber is good defensively while MAG is good offensively: I hope tonight demonstrated that it ain't that simple. I think Weber's play at the offensive blue line is pretty solid; OTOH, I think he has more bad giveaways in the defensive zone than any other Sabres defenseman this year.

- As I posted earlier, tonight was my daughter's first NHL game. Kinda interesting (for me, anyway) -- my son's first NHL game was also in LI vs the Islanders (in 2005), and the Sabres also won that game 4-3 in the shootout after tying it up late in the 3rd period.

Go Sabres. If they keep getting 7 out of 8 points they can keep it interesting for a while.

IMO, there was intent to knock the net off. He made absolutely no attempt to get out of the way, and he wasn't moving very fast either. However, he didn't fall just to knock the net off so it wasn't a very blatant play. It was obvious, but in defense of the refs, it would have been a tough call. I would have been more upset had the refs been very picky with their calls all night, but it was a relatively clean game and the officials let them play without any borderline BS calls. I can accept not getting calls go our way if the officials stay out of the game. I prefer it that way.

I have to admit after the first period trailing 3-1 yet having complete control of the game I really expected the Sabres to start feeling sorry for themselves and self destruct like they have for the last tow months. They battled back and have been very impressive the last few games. Still going to take a few more to gain my confidence back, but they have a new attitude the last four games. I don't know what happened, it's like they completely forgot about the last two months. Who knows..... maybe they CAN make this interesting!

I can't say there was intent to knock the net loose, it looked unintentional, aside from that even if the net was not knocked off, it wouldn't of been a goal, Ennis hit the side of the net, thanks to Stafford delivering the puck to him while he's 3 feet from the goal line. I was screaming for Stafford to do something, I'm surprised he didin't just carry it behind the net. Getting rid of Stafford could not come soon enough.

Keep you eyes set on Ottawa if you want playoffs. I believe Toronto and Jersey are going to make it. I can see Washington or Florida blowing it too. Wednesday is now set up to be a beauty if they can take out Boston.

The Sabres need more than catching the Sens. If the Sens fall out of the top eight, the Caps take their spot. Right now there are nine teams for eight spots. Despite being 4-6 in their last 10, the Panthers have been able to hold on to the SE Division. For the Sabres to make it, they need two teams to fall off. It just doesn't look likely at this point. 7 out of 8 points and the Sabres are still only 3 points from being last in the Conference and are no closer to 8th place.

Don;'t know if anyone else notices but there were some distinct "Let's Go Buffalo" chants going on tonight behind enemy lines.

I was there and I heard a couple, including a pretty good one in the 3rd period. Very nice.

I have to admit after the first period trailing 3-1 yet having complete control of the game I really expected the Sabres to start feeling sorry for themselves and self destruct like they have for the last tow months. They battled back and have been very impressive the last few games. Still going to take a few more to gain my confidence back, but they have a new attitude the last four games. I don't know what happened, it's like they completely forgot about the last two months. Who knows..... maybe they CAN make this interesting!

Well, this might be a bit generous. They didn't really do much in the 2nd period and looked beaten and disheartened until Roy scored a pretty soft goal. From that point on, though, they did carry the play.

The Sabres need more than catching the Sens. If the Sens fall out of the top eight, the Caps take their spot. Right now there are nine teams for eight spots. Despite being 4-6 in their last 10, the Panthers have been able to hold on to the SE Division. For the Sabres to make it, they need two teams to fall off. It just doesn't look likely at this point. 7 out of 8 points and the Sabres are still only 3 points from being last in the Conference and are no closer to 8th place.

I agree that at this point it doesn't make sense to focus on a particular team that the Sabres need to catch. Bottom line is that the Sabres need to worry about wins and nothing else. They have 50 pts with 30 games left. Toronto is in #8 right now and projects to finish with just under 95 points. So if the Sabres need 95 points to get in, they will need another 45 points, or something like 20-5-5 in their last 30. It's not impossible, but that would be a heckuva pace.

Let's see if they can get one against the Bruins. And if Kaleta puts a huge hit on Lucic at some point? Even better.

1. I don't love Sylvester, but I think Gare is substantially worse.

2. Stafford was terrible. He made zero plays and he lost just about every battle. He plays a completely reactive (as opposed to proactive) game. His presence on the Gerbe-Ennis line was the definition of "passenger."

6. I thought there should've been a penalty on the Islanders on that play as well.

Here's the rest of my in-person-attendance game report:

- the Sabres looked great for most of the first period, then totally disheartened after giving up the 2 goals and played listlessly in the 2nd until Roy's goal restored their spirit.

- Kaleta did a great job taking on a bigger man in that fight in an effort to get his team going. He did fine in the fight too.

- Miller locked it up in the 2nd, 3rd and OT.

- For those who keep saying Weber should play over MAG because Weber is good defensively while MAG is good offensively: I hope tonight demonstrated that it ain't that simple. I think Weber's play at the offensive blue line is pretty solid; OTOH, I think he has more bad giveaways in the defensive zone than any other Sabres defenseman this year.

- As I posted earlier, tonight was my daughter's first NHL game. Kinda interesting (for me, anyway) -- my son's first NHL game was also in LI vs the Islanders (in 2005), and the Sabres also won that game 4-3 in the shootout after tying it up late in the 3rd period.

Go Sabres. If they keep getting 7 out of 8 points they can keep it interesting for a while.

Glad to hear your daughter's first NHL game came in a Sabres win - a SO to boot and Miller's breaking of Dom's record......sounds like a great family night !

Glad for the win but that first 40 minutes was poor.

The Celebrities you LIKE the most thread was more enjoyable than that first 40.

personally thought they played pretty well in the first period. i know the bottom line is they got out scored 3-1, but at one point shots were something like 17 - 7.. I thought Buffalo pretty much controlled play the first & third periods, while the second period was just ugly for both teams.

OT was insane. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. The islanders had 9 shots on goal in OT -- the same amount in 5 minutes as they had in both the first and second periods (9 each). Miller and Goose came up BIG on that PK.

I saw hustle from guys I wouldn't expect.

Granted, that goes for about 95% of the roster, but still - Give credit where credit is due.

It's incredible that these guys haven't been able to see how much better they are when they work for a living.

Sure, you may lose the puckbattle along the boards in the other guys end, but by getting in there in the first place and giving a damn, you buy everyone else another 2 seconds to get into proper position when the puck goes the other way.

I like the way they been playing also, but Stafford just refuses to put in any extra effort. near the end of their last shift, Stafford could of hustled and went for a puck at the side of the net, but you could see he just gave up on it.

I agree, he just lofted around like he was walking. Staff does absolutely nothing for this team, he has zero effort and doesn't battle for anything.

What a ###### stupid penalty.

Stafford blew that 2 on 1, what was he waiting for to pass ?

It's not a contract year.

Archived