What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

Since Jo is leaving for Ohio tomorrow morning to spend Christmas with her family, we exchanged gifts last night. She surprised me with this beer:

Fireside Chat by 21st Amendment Brewery (California)

http://21st-amendment.com/beers/fireside-chat/

She stumbled across it somewhere and knew my fascination with both Teddy and FD would let me like this beer. Well let me tell you, it's as good as any beer you'd ever want to drink on a cold winters day.

She also bought me cheese. The stinkiest she could get from the little Italian cheese shop in Rochester. Look it up, it's called Fontina. And a nice cutting board made from a cookie of some very nice wood. And a cheese shaver.

Stinky cheese and dark beer. The epitome of winter for me. I've got a keeper. :thumbsup:

The boy made a rather fancy breakfast this morning (we also did our x-mas last night): started with eggs in a frame (egg cooked in a cutout of sourdough bread), then topped with duck prosciutto and truffle cheese. Also had maple sausage, blackberry yogurt, and acai juice (and coffee). So yummy.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump ...

Home made chilli, from scratch, last might. Yummy!!

Bosc pears for desert. They don't look like much. Kind of brownish green skin, but man are they sweet and juicy on the inside. Farm fresh from the Annapolis Valley in NS. I highly recommend them.

82822_bosc_wholeandhalf.jpg

Farm fresh from NS in January? That don't seem likely.

Yesterday dinner time found me traveling through Leroy, NY. Stopped in at a place right on Main St in Leroy (rt. 5) called Smokin' Eagle Barbeque. Dumpy place. Like, really dumpy. Looks like a classic dive bar with an attached dining room., The dining area was clean and well lit but in bad need of remodeling. Apparently this place used to be a pretty rough and rowdy bar but recently got new owners that have turned it into a barbeque joint.

Mediocre but acceptable tap list. They have all of the expected drafts for WNY and they also had a few of the more common micros. I went with a Brooklyn Brown Ale. The beer wasn't too cold and it was in a proper pint glass (what's with the plethora of 12oz "pints" lately?). Tasted fresh but too much head on the pour. (I'm not paying $5.50 to get 13oz instead of 16 because the bartender thinks a 1" head looks better)

Typical barbeque menu. 8 or 10 sides to choose from and the typical lineup of 'que. They offer a "regular" and chipotle barbeque sauce. We ordered two platters to get a sampling of most everything they make, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken. We ordered garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and baked beans w/ pulled pork for our sides.

The platters were huge and any one platter could easily feed two, probably three people. The wife and I ate maybe 1//4 of the food that came out.

I love the spice rub that they are using. Lots of black pepper and thyme. Good ground chili flavors too. It was really evident in the barbeque chicken and pulled pork. And the chipotle sauce was good and spicy without being too spicy. The "regular" sauce was very tangy, almost Carolina style.

The ribs were honestly the best I've ever had in NY. I've had great ribs down south but I've never been wowed by barbeque joint ribs in NY. These were a bit over done (they were fall off the bone tender. I prefer them with a little more "tooth" to them). But the flavor was outstanding. Every bit as good as what I make at home. that is high praise from me as until last night I had yet to find an NY restaurant that had ribs I like as much as the ribs I make at home. The rub they are using is fantastic, the sauces are great compliments, and they weren't over-smoked. Good just-a-bit-more-than subtle smokey goodness.

The pulled pork was moist and delicious. Plenty of rub flavor. Simple and well done.

The brisket was outstanding. Most moist and tender brisket I've ever had. Brisket is damned tough to do well (I'm still trying to master it) and these folks hit it dead on out opf the park. Best part of my meal. And better than the brisket I've had down south as well. Really, really good stuff.

And the chicken was damned near perfect too. Moist, tender, subtle smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering. And the thyme in the spice rub was fantastic with the bird meat.

The garlic mashed was real taters. Skins included in the mash. Red potatoes. Nice touch. Simple yet tasty. Cornbread came with both platters and it was moist, not dry. The beans were sweet, tender, and a touch spicy. Very nice indeed. Sweet potato fries were proerly done. Would have liked some honey to drizzle on them. My only complaint with the meal was that I didn't care for the dressing they used for their coleslaw. Not sure what it was that I didn't like about it but I guess every meal is going to have a flaw, right?

We've got two lunches worth of leftovers in the fridge. We each had a beer. Total bill with tip was just under $50. Well done indeed. I AM going to find an excuse to get back into Leroy for another meal there.

Yesterday dinner time found me traveling through Leroy, NY. Stopped in at a place right on Main St in Leroy (rt. 5) called Smokin' Eagle Barbeque. Dumpy place. Like, really dumpy. Looks like a classic dive bar with an attached dining room., The dining area was clean and well lit but in bad need of remodeling. Apparently this place used to be a pretty rough and rowdy bar but recently got new owners that have turned it into a barbeque joint.

Mediocre but acceptable tap list. They have all of the expected drafts for WNY and they also had a few of the more common micros. I went with a Brooklyn Brown Ale. The beer wasn't too cold and it was in a proper pint glass (what's with the plethora of 12oz "pints" lately?). Tasted fresh but too much head on the pour. (I'm not paying $5.50 to get 13oz instead of 16 because the bartender thinks a 1" head looks better)

Typical barbeque menu. 8 or 10 sides to choose from and the typical lineup of 'que. They offer a "regular" and chipotle barbeque sauce. We ordered two platters to get a sampling of most everything they make, pulled pork, ribs, brisket, chicken. We ordered garlic mashed, sweet potato fries, coleslaw, and baked beans w/ pulled pork for our sides.

The platters were huge and any one platter could easily feed two, probably three people. The wife and I ate maybe 1//4 of the food that came out.

I love the spice rub that they are using. Lots of black pepper and thyme. Good ground chili flavors too. It was really evident in the barbeque chicken and pulled pork. And the chipotle sauce was good and spicy without being too spicy. The "regular" sauce was very tangy, almost Carolina style.

The ribs were honestly the best I've ever had in NY. I've had great ribs down south but I've never been wowed by barbeque joint ribs in NY. These were a bit over done (they were fall off the bone tender. I prefer them with a little more "tooth" to them). But the flavor was outstanding. Every bit as good as what I make at home. that is high praise from me as until last night I had yet to find an NY restaurant that had ribs I like as much as the ribs I make at home. The rub they are using is fantastic, the sauces are great compliments, and they weren't over-smoked. Good just-a-bit-more-than subtle smokey goodness.

The pulled pork was moist and delicious. Plenty of rub flavor. Simple and well done.

The brisket was outstanding. Most moist and tender brisket I've ever had. Brisket is damned tough to do well (I'm still trying to master it) and these folks hit it dead on out opf the park. Best part of my meal. And better than the brisket I've had down south as well. Really, really good stuff.

And the chicken was damned near perfect too. Moist, tender, subtle smokey flavor that wasn't overpowering. And the thyme in the spice rub was fantastic with the bird meat.

The garlic mashed was real taters. Skins included in the mash. Red potatoes. Nice touch. Simple yet tasty. Cornbread came with both platters and it was moist, not dry. The beans were sweet, tender, and a touch spicy. Very nice indeed. Sweet potato fries were proerly done. Would have liked some honey to drizzle on them. My only complaint with the meal was that I didn't care for the dressing they used for their coleslaw. Not sure what it was that I didn't like about it but I guess every meal is going to have a flaw, right?

We've got two lunches worth of leftovers in the fridge. We each had a beer. Total bill with tip was just under $50. Well done indeed. I AM going to find an excuse to get back into Leroy for another meal there.

I've driven past there so many times but I probably would never have given that place a look. On your recommendation I'll have to take the girl there some night since she's a pulled pork connoisseur.

I'll have to go. Sounds terrific.

For game yesterday did a South Carolina style pulled pork, and. It was awesome. Mustard rub for 24 hrs, Only two hours in the smoker , brush on a mustard sauce and finished covered in foil for three hours in the oven. It was freaking great, and easy. More than happy to put the recipe up if anybody interested.

For game yesterday did a South Carolina style pulled pork, and. It was awesome. Mustard rub for 24 hrs, Only two hours in the smoker , brush on a mustard sauce and finished covered in foil for three hours in the oven. It was freaking great, and easy. More than happy to put the recipe up if anybody interested.

Paging weave to the eating/drinking thread...

(Sounds amazing, plenz, but I don't own a smoker.)

A day late, but the bf took charge of the food and drink for the game yesterday, and he definitely earned a gold star:

- olives, 3 kinds of cheese (Welsh cheddar, aged gouda, and something else), crackers, dates, pear, and chips/dip for appetizers

- mini burgers on fancy rolls for the meal

- baklava from a Lebanese bakery for dessert

- Chimay (for him) and Lindeman's Pomme Kriek (for me) to drink

So good, I didn't even miss the wings.

No Need for a smoker, either a charcoal grill or gas grill can do as well. Recipe is from Cooks Country, alomg with Americas Test Kitchen a great place for evryday recipes that work. I am a subsciber, but they are okay with posting the recipe as long as they get attribution, so please visit their site at www.cookscountry.com to watch the video of this as well. Just put South Carolina Pulled Pork in the search button.I think video will play but not the recipe not display, so here is the recipe. Truly was awesome pulled pork in halk the time, and people loved, loved,loved the mustard sause.

I also removed the bone from the roast and open up the shoulder so i could get the spice rub all through the meat for the 24 hr spice bath..seemed to work well.

BTW, I cooked until 195 internal temp.

Ingredients Spice Rub and Pork

• 3 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds) (see note)
  • 4 cups wood chips, soaked for 15 minutes

Mustard Barbecue Sauce

• 1/2 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

• 1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
  • 2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.
  • 3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.

Edited by plenzmd1

No Need for a smoker, either a charcoal grill or gas grill can do as well. Recipe is from Cooks Country, alomg with Americas Test Kitchen a great place for evryday recipes that work. I am a subsciber, but they are okay with posting the recipe as long as they get attribution, so please visit their site at www.cookscountry.com to watch the video of this as well. Just put South Carolina Pulled Pork in the search button.I think video will play but not the recipe not display, so here is the recipe. Truly was awesome pulled pork in halk the time, and people loved, loved,loved the mustard sause.

I also removed the bone from the roast and open up the shoulder so i could get the spice rub all through the meat for the 24 hr spice bath..seemed to work well.

BTW, I cooked until 195 internal temp.

Ingredients Spice Rub and Pork

• 3 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds) (see note)
  • 4 cups wood chips, soaked for 15 minutes

Mustard Barbecue Sauce

• 1/2 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions

• 1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)
  • 2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.
  • 3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.

I just might have to give this a try. I have done the smoker to oven or grill cheating method a few times with pork shoulder and ribs with good results. If I recall, you have a BGE, don't you? I'm so tempted to get one and move away from my Weber bullet smoker and gas grill combo and do all charcoal all the time.

We did a prime rib on the grill for the Super Bowl. Just rubbed it with roasted garlic, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. Cooked indirect on the grill to 125 internal (I have to highly recommend a Thermapen for baking, grilling and brewing) and let it rest for 30 minutes. It turned out fantastic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.