GDT: Sabres at Jets 1/19/12 8:30pm

spndnchz

What harm would be caused by removing Ruff? I know fans like Ruff and he is a former player, it's time to realize Ruff is far from being an elite coach. He banked some early success on the back of Hasek, added to the two years of No-Touch NHL. The rest is pretty poor.

You could replace Ruffs name with anyone on this roster too. Replace it with Vanek, or Myers, or Pomminstein. They have all been here for a long time and what harm would you cause by trading them away?

You could replace Ruffs name with anyone on this roster too. Replace it with Vanek, or Myers, or Pomminstein. They have all been here for a long time and what harm would you cause by trading them away?

None.

Firing a coach or trading away players are ways of making a team better. The only harm is caused by keeping the status quo.

What harm would be caused by removing Ruff? I know fans like Ruff and he is a former player, it's time to realize Ruff is far from being an elite coach. He banked some early success on the back of Hasek, added to the two years of No-Touch NHL. The rest is pretty poor.

Except people who actually know what they are talking about disagree. If he was banking on a few good years only, he wouldnt have been selected for Team Canada over so many qualified candidates. Nearly every NHL commentator, including those in the know, routinely say hes a great coach. There no reason for them to go out of their way to say that.

Its fair to question his control over the team, but just saying he's a terrible coach for the **** of it doesnt make it true.

Have we not been through this a thousand times? You know what my position is with potential harm in firing Ruff. It's the concern that his replacement wouldn't be as good, and wouldn't change the makeup of the team. Cf. 1983-1993 or so. Or look at Montreal before the trade.

We respectfully disagree with one another. Let's not go through it again.

Except people who actually know what they are talking about disagree. If he was banking on a few good years only, he wouldnt have been selected for Team Canada over so many qualified candidates. Nearly every NHL commentator, including those in the know, routinely say hes a great coach. There no reason for them to go out of their way to say that.

Someone needs to clue in the players, then. They're clearly pretty blind to Ruff's qualifications and reputation.

Its fair to question his control over the team, but just saying he's a terrible coach for the **** of it doesnt make it true.

Was he the head coach of Team Canada?

Listening to the commentators last night describe how the Sabres were playing was far from an endorsement of Lindy Ruff. The most positive thing I hear about Ruff is that he has kept his job for 15 years.

None.

Firing a coach or trading away players are ways of making a team better. The only harm is caused by keeping the status quo.

Good point, it's impossible to make a bad trade or hire a bad coach.

Seriously, you're contending that the ONLY possible outcome of a trade or new coach is positive. We know, you hate Ruff, he's completely inept, the roster should be banished to Siberia, etc. I think change is needed, Regier should definitely be fired, and Ruff should probably be fired...but I'm not going to sit here and pretend change=improvement. It could just as easily backfire, or be no better.

Look, there is nothing wrong with Lindy. He is an excellent coach no doubt. He has taken Sabres teams higher than they probably should have gotten with the limited resources he was given. But there comes a time when a system and the relationship between players and coach becomes stale. The Sabres showed us what they could do last year, they don't go from that to what we're seeing today for no reason. They may not have the most talent, but they are a talented team and it SHOULDN'T take much to make them a contender. But it's just time to move on. Look at how many teams respond to new coaches without altering the lineup. Do you dump the entire team because they won't respond to Lindy, or do you dump Lindy. As much as we all like Lindy, this isn't necessarily his fault........... it's just gotten old over time and they need a breath of fresh air. I like Lindy and I feel bad that he's gotten the opportunity to coach a team where they have the OK to do whatever they want. It's just unfortunate that it couldn't have happened to him sooner.

Seriously, you're contending that the ONLY possible outcome of a trade or new coach is positive. We know, you hate Ruff, he's completely inept, the roster should be banished to Siberia, etc. I think change is needed, Regier should definitely be fired, and Ruff should probably be fired...but I'm not going to sit here and pretend change=improvement. It could just as easily backfire, or be no better.

What are you afraid of?

What are you afraid of?

I'm not sure where you get me being afraid of anything. Did you miss the part where I also want change? My point was his argument is ridiculous, that making changes will automatically make the team better. Good coaches can be replaced with bad coaches, bad coaches can be replaced with another bad coach, and so on. The Ruff/Regier tandem has run its course, but seriously, there is no guarantee the next guys are better or the right guys to win the Cup.

Anyone on this board could have been the GM AND Coach of this team the past 5 years, and we'd have at least the same amount of playoff wins and could only possibly be 3 points worse in the conference standings while spending $80 million of Pegula's money on players.

If that is the trackrecord you are worried about losing......God Bless You!

I'm not sure where you get me being afraid of anything. Did you miss the part where I also want change? My point was his argument is ridiculous, that making changes will automatically make the team better. Good coaches can be replaced with bad coaches, bad coaches can be replaced with another bad coach, and so on. The Ruff/Regier tandem has run its course, but seriously, there is no guarantee the next guys are better or the right guys to win the Cup.

The last sentence of your post. "it could just as easily backfire." That denotes fear. You want changes but you're afraid they won't work. That's contradictory. If you want changes, you have to believe that changes will = improvement. Worries about change backfiring are pointless.

The last sentence of your post. "it could just as easily backfire." That denotes fear. You want changes but you're afraid they won't work. That's contradictory. If you want changes, you have to believe that changes will = improvement. Worries about change backfiring are pointless.

Acknowledging the possibility is not the same as worrying. If you decide to take a job with a different company, you're leaving because you think it will be better, you believe you're making the right choice. It doesn't mean you should be blind to the fact it may not work out as you envision it. I hate putting things in black and white terms, when in reality, the entire world generally functions as various shades of gray.

Acknowledging the possibility is not the same as worrying. If you decide to take a job with a different company, you're leaving because you think it will be better, you believe you're making the right choice. It doesn't mean you should be blind to the fact it may not work out as you envision it. I hate putting things in black and white terms, when in reality, the entire world generally functions as various shades of gray.

This board only sees black and white please conform

Anyone on this board could have been the GM AND Coach of this team the past 5 years, and we'd have at least the same amount of playoff wins and could only possibly be 3 points worse in the conference standings while spending $80 million of Pegula's money on players.

If that is the trackrecord you are worried about losing......God Bless You!

I seriously doubt this

I don't see the point in anticipating that something like this will not work out. What is to be gained from that anticipation?

I don't see the point in anticipating that something like this will not work out. What is to be gained from that anticipation?

Its not anticipating...its planning ahead. IF the road gets rocky you should have a right mind about it so that you can handle it properly, the world isnt all flowers and rainbows. If you carry an umbrella you arent hoping for rain but you are prepared for it.

Archived