Interesting viewpoint on Sabres from outside

Tony P

I was listening to “the point” on XM’s NHL channel this afternoon and the guys there pretty much led off the program with a discussion on the Sabres. They said they were embarrassed to watch them against Detroit last night. Yes, the Wings are on a roll and Sabres are struggling but one of the commentators said he felt a little slimy watching their effort. I can quote: “There’s something seriously wrong in Buffalo”.

More interesting was the analysis of TPegs and his options. They discussed how LR/DR have been together for 14 years and (paraphrasing): if TPegs cleans house, he’s viewed as a rogue owner who has no patience – coming into a situation that has been a model of consistency and blowing it up after less than a year.

I, like many of you, am disgusted with the way this season has played out so I’m not defending anyone in the organization. And it is apparent to anyone in or out of WNY that there are real issues with this franchise. I just found this perspective kind of interesting in that TPegs may be hindered by his newness and could really do longterm harm by doing what we all feel is very necessary.

T.

It doesn't matter what he does or how he does, because majority of the people will only care about one thing: winning. If Regier/Ruff were winning, not a single person here would be calling for change. If he fired them and the new guys struggle, he'll get destroyed for hiring the wrong people. In this business, winning is the only thing that matters. I know so many people who after Pegula bought the team said they'll never diss this team in the near future, and those people already jumped off the wagon and are even throwing jabs at Pegula. Look how quickly the Buffalo News turned on him?

That said, i am in favor of a change. I believe Pegula needs to hire an old friend, Criag Patrick in the Scotty Bowman role he has with Chicago, an adviser. Patrick can oversee the organization and then fire Regier in the off-season. I don't believe Pegula firing these guys mid-season. Have Black/Patrick approve all moves Darcy does when he sells our players at the deadline and get rid of him in the summer. Hire a new GM, my choice Colin Campbell. Then he can fire Ruff and bring in his coach.

But, Tampa Bay new owner Jeffrey Vinik came in fired everyone, spend tons of money on community, brought in Steve Yzerman and Guy Boucher. They made a run last year and now the honeymoon is over there too. Tampa Bay is 5 points BEHIND us. They're in last place. So, sometimes, be careful what you wish for. New faces/new culture doesn't always mean things will be nice and dandy.

I don't get the saying of Pegula being viewed poorly for making a change right now. "Model of consistency". Really? The only consistent thing about this franchise has been mediocrity. If I was the owner, I wouldn't care what anyone thinks of me. Do what you think is right. I'm sure he's struggling with it now but I'm also sure he knows something has to be done.

Just curious, why would you want Colin Campbell brought in here? If we're going with familiar names, I'd much rather have someone like Rick Dudley. That being said, I'm probably more in favor of trying to snipe an assistant GM or front office guy from a consistently successful team such as Detroit, Boston, Philly, etc.

Pegula made his own bed by saying at the outset that Lindy and Regier would be staying; now he is being forced to lie in it. Even if it was his plan to retain Ruff and Regier, you don't announce it so boldly when being introduced as the new owner of the team. You tell the press that the entire organization will be evaluated from top to bottom after the season is over and decisions will be made after that.

Now he has painted himself into a corner. If he does nothing, he looks ineffective. If he fires either the coach or the GM, his word will mean nothing.

As of now, the pressure should be off the players (or be taken off). They will likely miss the playoffs and after the season, whatever front office changes are necessary should be done as quietly as possible.

Pegula made his own bed by saying at the outset that Lindy and Regier would be staying; now he is being forced to lie in it. Even if it was his plan to retain Ruff and Regier, you don't announce it so boldly when being introduced as the new owner of the team. You tell the press that the entire organization will be evaluated from top to bottom after the season is over and decisions will be made after that.

Now he has painted himself into a corner. If he does nothing, he looks ineffective. If he fires either the coach or the GM, his word will mean nothing.

As of now, the pressure should be off the players (or be taken off). They will likely miss the playoffs and after the season, whatever front office changes are necessary should be done as quietly as possible.

How do you fire a GM/Coach combo that has been together 14 years quietly?

It doesn't matter what he does or how he does, because majority of the people will only care about one thing: winning. If Regier/Ruff were winning, not a single person here would be calling for change. If he fired them and the new guys struggle, he'll get destroyed for hiring the wrong people. In this business, winning is the only thing that matters. I know so many people who after Pegula bought the team said they'll never diss this team in the near future, and those people already jumped off the wagon and are even throwing jabs at Pegula. Look how quickly the Buffalo News turned on him?

That said, i am in favor of a change. I believe Pegula needs to hire an old friend, Criag Patrick in the Scotty Bowman role he has with Chicago, an adviser. Patrick can oversee the organization and then fire Regier in the off-season. I don't believe Pegula firing these guys mid-season. Have Black/Patrick approve all moves Darcy does when he sells our players at the deadline and get rid of him in the summer. Hire a new GM, my choice Colin Campbell. Then he can fire Ruff and bring in his coach.

But, Tampa Bay new owner Jeffrey Vinik came in fired everyone, spend tons of money on community, brought in Steve Yzerman and Guy Boucher. They made a run last year and now the honeymoon is over there too. Tampa Bay is 5 points BEHIND us. They're in last place. So, sometimes, be careful what you wish for. New faces/new culture doesn't always mean things will be nice and dandy.

A great observation. How would you like to have Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Malone, Bergeron, etc. and be in the cellar? Everyone was all gaga over Yzerman last year and now the Lightning are at the bottom... tough to swallow.. are there calls for Stamkos to be traded? Hell.. Lecavalier and Stamkos both probably have more trade power than anyone on the Sabres..

I'm not blasting Pegula. I agree with Miller. I don't think there is anything you can do.. RIGHT NOW.. that is going to fix this team. You have to write it off and plan for next year. Sell at the deadline and get some good components for next year.. get a draft spot, look at your organizational leadership again in the off season when people are less touchy about firing coaches, etc.

I was listening to “the point” on XM’s NHL channel this afternoon and the guys there pretty much led off the program with a discussion on the Sabres. They said they were embarrassed to watch them against Detroit last night. Yes, the Wings are on a roll and Sabres are struggling but one of the commentators said he felt a little slimy watching their effort. I can quote: “There’s something seriously wrong in Buffalo”.

More interesting was the analysis of TPegs and his options. They discussed how LR/DR have been together for 14 years and (paraphrasing): if TPegs cleans house, he’s viewed as a rogue owner who has no patience – coming into a situation that has been a model of consistency and blowing it up after less than a year.

I, like many of you, am disgusted with the way this season has played out so I’m not defending anyone in the organization. And it is apparent to anyone in or out of WNY that there are real issues with this franchise. I just found this perspective kind of interesting in that TPegs may be hindered by his newness and could really do longterm harm by doing what we all feel is very necessary.

T.

I think model of mediocrity applies more here, especially over the last 5 or so seasons.

Looks like we have some growing pains to endure with Pegula. I think we all thought his money and passion would make up for a multitude of sins with this club. He seems really sensitive to criticism and the team reflects that. There is a culture of untouchability within this franchise. Everyone is so damned comfortable I can't stand it. If I behaved this way in my current job, I'd have been fired long ago. Terry will need to learn how to hold each member of the franchise accountable to perform, otherwise we will remain mired in this mess of mediocrity for years to come. You can't buy Stanley Cups, look at recent Ranger and Leaf squads. The RIGHT players with the RIGHT attitudes. This is gonna take some time...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Terry is a *business man*. Men in his position haven't gotten there by making rash, turn-on-a-dime decisions. He will methodically and calculatedly decide what to do as the situation continues to unfold ... much to the chagrin to all of us who WANT him to pull the trigger.

Miller nailed in his post-game presser last night: it HAS to come from within. None of us on this forum--regardless of age--have seen this kind of funk from the team before. That includes Terry. He's in just as much uncharted territory as we are, and he moreso because he now owns the team and expects success. Does that success come from ripping out the foundation and rebuilding from the ground up? In my honest opinion, yes, but he has made himself a multi-billionaire by being a calculated business man. Maybe he doesn't know the first thing about owning a hockey team, but he's brought in one of the best in the business in Ted Black.

We'll see what happens. Maybe they have something going on behind closed doors. Maybe they don't.

It's always darkest right before the dawn ...

Very good post.

Terry is a smart guy. I'm sure he does not take kindly to the word "embarrassed" getting thrown around by people/media over their effort last night (and for the past couple months for that matter). He's going to re-evaluate this coach/GM combo and everything else. I doubt he is worried about saving face and keeping things as is in management. I personally think Darcy will be let go after the season and Lindy will be offered some kind of high profile front office position...maybe even GM. Not sure if Lindy would even want that. I do think Pegs will make changes and people like Ted Black cannot hint to that right now so they just keep towing the party line of coach/GM are not being touched. I call B.S. on that. The product, players and system have gotten stale. Buffalo is way too easy of a team to break down and defend. Major changes will be happening after this season. Pegs and Ted Black are not idiots.

Just curious, why would you want Colin Campbell brought in here? If we're going with familiar names, I'd much rather have someone like Rick Dudley. That being said, I'm probably more in favor of trying to snipe an assistant GM or front office guy from a consistently successful team such as Detroit, Boston, Philly, etc.

I have a lot of respect for Campbell. He's always been connected to hockey. After playing, he worked for the Red Wings, then NYR. And since he's worked for the league offices, a job he took from Brian Burke. While he's not a general manager, he's still very connected in high power NHL jobs and must have a ton of connections throughout the league based on dealing with his work with NYR and the league offices. He's also been offered several GM jobs which he's turned out, including a big offer from Philadelphia. Supposedly he's been waiting for the Leafs job but 2 years ago or maybe less, CBC hockey night in Canada radio said they heard Campbell would be very intrigued if the Sabres approached because it's a hockey market and he also lives in southern Ontario.

I have a lot of respect for Campbell. He's always been connected to hockey. After playing, he worked for the Red Wings, then NYR. And since he's worked for the league offices, a job he took from Brian Burke. While he's not a general manager, he's still very connected in high power NHL jobs and must have a ton of connections throughout the league based on dealing with his work with NYR and the league offices. He's also been offered several GM jobs which he's turned out, including a big offer from Philadelphia. Supposedly he's been waiting for the Leafs job but 2 years ago or maybe less, CBC hockey night in Canada radio said they heard Campbell would be very intrigued if the Sabres approached because it's a hockey market and he also lives in southern Ontario.

Yeah, but then he'd probably sabotage the team since they're a division rival of his son. :P

I think model of mediocrity applies more here, especially over the last 5 or so seasons.

Looks like we have some growing pains to endure with Pegula. I think we all thought his money and passion would make up for a multitude of sins with this club. He seems really sensitive to criticism and the team reflects that. There is a culture of untouchability within this franchise. Everyone is so damned comfortable I can't stand it. If I behaved this way in my current job, I'd have been fired long ago. Terry will need to learn how to hold each member of the franchise accountable to perform, otherwise we will remain mired in this mess of mediocrity for years to come. You can't buy Stanley Cups, look at recent Ranger and Leaf squads. The RIGHT players with the RIGHT attitudes. This is gonna take some time...

Agreed, but it doesn't take a lot of change. The coach came in as a motivator and yeller, they signed Gaborik but even last year he went into a funk. Not enough alternative scoring. This year adding Richards has changed the attitude and now look at the Rangers!

I still think the Sabres are one or two very talented play making centers away from a contender minus some dead weight a la Stafford, but they need at least one now to play well and the Sabres need to figure out what is the best way to get one... free agency, draft or trade. I don't necessarily think Ruff needs to gobut he might, however I am an admitted Darcy detractor and think he has made some bad long-term signing a la Staphyl coccus.

I like the Rich Dudley idea, but that is my sentiment and some new agressive fresh blood might be just what is needed to get Ruff's juices flowing.

Jim Nill has been the assistant GM in Detroit for some time. Perhaps his time is now. Let's hope!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Nill

Colin Campbell? I would rather keep Regier. Campbell is an assclown. The job he did with the NHL front office is an embarrassment to all of hockey.

Agreed, but it doesn't take a lot of change. The coach came in as a motivator and yeller, they signed Gaborik but even last year he went into a funk. Not enough alternative scoring. This year adding Richards has changed the attitude and now look at the Rangers!

I still think the Sabres are one or two very talented play making centers away from a contender minus some dead weight a la Stafford, but they need at least one now to play well and the Sabres need to figure out what is the best way to get one... free agency, draft or trade. I don't necessarily think Ruff needs to gobut he might, however I am an admitted Darcy detractor and think he has made some bad long-term signing a la Staphyl coccus.

I like the Rich Dudley idea, but that is my sentiment and some new agressive fresh blood might be just what is needed to get Ruff's juices flowing.

I feel like that's a lot to ask for.

T.

I don't get the saying of Pegula being viewed poorly for making a change right now. "Model of consistency". Really? The only consistent thing about this franchise has been mediocrity. If I was the owner, I wouldn't care what anyone thinks of me. Do what you think is right. I'm sure he's struggling with it now but I'm also sure he knows something has to be done.

I agree with nucci. Pegula's newness buys him some leeway in making that kind of decision. Assuming he did clean house, the argument could be that a) DR/LR were already signed/extended, so he didn't want to start out by firing staff who had just been re-signed (which would have really looked bad) and instead gave them a chance to prove why they should be part of the franchise moving forward, and b) like any new management in any industry, he is well within his rights to come in and observe and learn the day-to-day operations and see how everything and everyone works and fits together. He's brought his team of advisers to help analyze and critique, and he is well within his rights to make moves for the betterment of his company.

That said, i am in favor of a change. I believe Pegula needs to hire an old friend, Criag Patrick in the Scotty Bowman role he has with Chicago, an adviser. Patrick can oversee the organization and then fire Regier in the off-season. I don't believe Pegula firing these guys mid-season.

I've seen you mention Patrick in a couple posts today, and I think it's a pipe dream at best. Columbus already hired him in a similar position in December and he is soon to be in the same situation you want to drop him into here - Howson (Jackets' GM) is on borrowed time, so Patrick will be getting ready to drop the hammer and help Columbus' front office move forward.

I've seen you mention Patrick in a couple posts today, and I think it's a pipe dream at best. Columbus already hired him in a similar position in December and he is soon to be in the same situation you want to drop him into here - Howson (Jackets' GM) is on borrowed time, so Patrick will be getting ready to drop the hammer and help Columbus' front office move forward.

I've always liked Patrick, and knew he had ties to Terry Pegula, so i just connected them. However, I did not know this part, so thanks for telling me, i'll stop now stop hoping we get Patrick. lol

Archived