If there is a rebuild, who do you want to get rid of?

nfreeman

I've seen a couple posts mentioning Leopold. Why is he suddenly a problem? He was brought in to provide an offensive option on the blueline and he has actually exceeded his expectations. If you want to look for problems with this team, the only way his name should show up is if you mention that only 4 forwards have more goals than him.

I mentioned Leopold. I like the guy, but he still makes rookie mistakes. If Weber did what Leopold did he would be blasted.

Leopold's roll is that of a puck mover, not a physical or positional threat. Yes scores goals, but do how many non-physical offensive defensemen can you have. We already know there is too many on this team with Ehrhoff and Sekera ahaed of him along with Myers two way game.

Leo is a probably a #4 or 5 D on a lot of teams he just happens to fill a role the Sabres are abundant in. That's why he is my #7 on D

I've seen a couple posts mentioning Leopold. Why is he suddenly a problem? He was brought in to provide an offensive option on the blueline and he has actually exceeded his expectations. If you want to look for problems with this team, the only way his name should show up is if you mention that only 4 forwards have more goals than him.

Well said! B-)

I mentioned Leopold. I like the guy, but he still makes rookie mistakes. If Weber did what Leopold did he would be blasted.

Leopold's roll is that of a puck mover, not a physical or positional threat. Yes scores goals, but do how many non-physical offensive defensemen can you have. We already know there is too many on this team with Ehrhoff and Sekera ahaed of him along with Myers two way game.

Leo is a probably a #4 or 5 D on a lot of teams he just happens to fill a role the Sabres are abundant in. That's why he is my #7 on D

Except he's doing far better than Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Mag...

Well said! B-)

Except he's doing far better than Ehrhoff, Sekera, and Mag...

I should also note that the #7 d on this team almost always plays

I am not in favor of canning him, I would like him to stay along with the rest of the Defense. I am responding because I am on of the people who mentioned him.

The point of my original post was that I liked the D and want to build around all of it player 1-8.

I wouldn't regard him as a problem so much as a guy who is OK but not particularly good, isn't part of the solution, plays a position where the Sabres have a good amount of young depth and makes $3MM which I'd rather spend elsewhere. If the Sabres were #2 or #3 in the EC, gearing up for a playoff run and wanted to add another defenseman? Sure, he'd be a nice pickup as a rental. But this team needs to become hungrier, more aggressive and more physical, and that isn't Leo's game. I suppose I'd be OK if they unloaded Sekera and kept Leopold, but I like Sekera's upside more than I like Leo's decent (but not great) consistency.

The following 4 things need to happen ASAP to salvage the season (and perhaps the Buffalo careers of Regier and Ruff):

1. Boyes replaced with Kassian full-time.

2. Leopold replaced with McNabb full-time.

3. Roy replaced with a veteran gritty #2 scoring center with size and heart.

4. Hecht replaced with a true #1 center via some sort of trade involving these 4 aforementioned players to be jettisoned.

I'm trying to be realistic here, so that is why I don't have us trading players like Leino, Stafford, and Miller.

I would have to disagree with not trading Stafford; however, I cannot see any GM wanting either Stafford or Roy.

Hecht is 35 years old; the only thing I see for him is retirement.

Has Kassian played at all lately?

I would have to disagree with not trading Stafford; however, I cannot see any GM wanting either Stafford or Roy.

Hecht is 35 years old; the only thing I see for him is retirement.

Has Kassian played at all lately?

Didn't someone (chz?) mention that we needed to create some cap space in order to bring up Kassian full-time?

I would get rid of:

Mccormick - useless player in every way.

Ellis - same again

Roy

Stafford

Sekera - good trade value, very consistent so far but I just don't see him doing anything MAG, Myers, Ehrhoff can't do.

Ennis - another Roy

Ruff/assistants (aside from those hired this offseason)

Regier

Keep:

Vanek - dependable scorer who's been the only light recently

Pominville - Ok so things aren't good, but his elevated his play to a different level and while his expensive I don't believe a two way player of his calibre comes cheap. Not as captain, but an A.

Adam

Regehr

Ehrhoff

Leino

Gerbe

Miller

Enroth

MAG - kids a rookie and has potential.

Myers - could be a cornerstone of our team for years to come imho, like Chara just not an ######.

Meh:

Gausted

Boyes

Hecht

Weber

Kaleta - if he can actually hit without getting penalised

Leopold - Dependable 3/4 dman.

It's quite possible that I'm kidding myself, but it just seems inevitable to me at this point that something is going to happen. It could be a trade or waiver of an inconsequential player, it could be a trade of an underachieving top 6 forward, it could be Lindy getting canned, or any or all of the above -- but it feels like DR is going to be gone by the summer if not earlier. If that's the case, a new GM is most likely going to come in, survey the wreckage and start moving some guys out in order to reshape the team in the way he thinks will work best. If I were that new GM, I'd have a few categories: (i) guys that need to be gone in order to let a new identity develop on the team, (ii) guys that could be traded if appropriate value is received in return and (iii) guys that I want to build around and accordingly would not trade unless there was a very compelling trade to be made. Here are my lists based on the above categories: Guys that Need to be Gone. Pommer -- he's a good player, but he's well overpaid, not good enough to be a difference-maker and has captained the team into the abyss. Roy -- it's all been said already. Hecht -- on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back at $1.5MM per year, but he's one of the guys who's led the charge to mediocrity and needs to be swept clean by the new broom. Boyes -- similarly, on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back cheaply, but there has to be accountability for long-term failure to produce. Leopold -- he's OK, but not great, a bit overpaid, not physical, not a difference-maker, they have a lot of defensemen, and I want the salary slot to use towards a good player. Gragnani -- he's taken a disproportionate amount of criticism IMHO, but he's just OK and there are other defensemen I'd rather see in his slot. Guys that Could be Traded for Appropriate Value but that I'd be fine with Keeping. Vanek -- also a good player, but overpaid and not elite. I wouldn't look to unload him, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a truly elite player. Stafford -- I recognize that many here detest him. I'd rather not give up on a guy with his size and skill just yet, but I fully understand those who do. Ennis -- had a great rookie year and got lost with injuries this year amid the sea of mediocrity. We can't have 3 smurfs in the top 6, but I think we can have 2. Gaustad -- I only want him back as a #4 center at $1.5MM per year or so. He really crapped the bed in Lucic-Miller, so I can understand those who would put him in category #1. Sekera -- I'd like to keep him as I think he has Soupy potential, but if he can bring a good return, I'm OK. Miller -- I think he will recapture his mojo at some point. However, he costs too much in an era of interchangeable goalies and bears a good amount of the blame for this year's debacle. Enroth -- Not ready to be a #1 goalie IMHO, but could garner a good return in trade from a team that disagrees. Guys that I want to Build Around. Gerbe Kaleta -- he doesn't cost much, he hits, he draws penalties, he kills penalties and the Sabres need to keep as much grit as possible. Leino -- included here because it would look Mickey Mouse to trade him right after signing him and would impair their ability to get future UFAs Adam Kassian Myers Ehrhoff Regehr Weber McNabb Irrelevant Ellis McCormick I'd like to see how others feel about these categories and views on how the roster breaks down.

Nice list, I agree Stafford has value, but he is such a cancer, I too agree he should be gone ASAP.

I think McCormick has value and I like Hecht for the price and as a forechecking center. I would lose Goose first because of his apparent loss of speed and chemistry this year unless you want to keep him on a fourth line. The problem I run into is that all three are third and fourth line centers, so that leaves one to many. I wouldn't get rid of any until a 1st and 2nd line center can be found or can be used as part of a deal to get a high number 1 draft choice that could lead to a number 1 center.

+1

I like that Kaleta is a local boy, but the league has neutered him. He is no longer allowed to be effective his way and he doesn't have the skill or size to play the way NHL games seem to played these days.

I agree 100%. Maybe i'm wrong, but I dont even see him drawing penalties anymore. I wanted him to be this team's Matthew Barnaby(except he is a much better hitter). I know he has had injuries and now the rep which has made him have to alter his game, but HIS game is what made him special. If he's not going to play it, then there is no reason to keep him. I know we dont see every camera angle out there, but I dont even see him chirping with other players as much either. I hate to say it, but he should be that borderline "dirty" player. The guy that is poking people with the stick behind the pads, talking about their wives sexuality preferences :P , and getting in the crease and giving goalies a little nudge and sometimes the snow shower.......THIS is going to add up and piss off the opposition and it will lead to them making mistakes and committing penalties.

I guess what im saying is, if he is not going to be delivering the big hits due to fear of getting suspended, and unless he starts scoring 20 goals a season, then he needs to do some other things to contribute to this team, because just working the PK is not going to cut it in my eyes.

Agreed, Leopold has 7 goals, not bad for a D-Man....Considering Staff has the same amount and Roy has 8.....

Why is Sekera ahead of him?

I wouldn't regard him as a problem so much as a guy who is OK but not particularly good, isn't part of the solution, plays a position where the Sabres have a good amount of young depth and makes $3MM which I'd rather spend elsewhere. If the Sabres were #2 or #3 in the EC, gearing up for a playoff run and wanted to add another defenseman? Sure, he'd be a nice pickup as a rental. But this team needs to become hungrier, more aggressive and more physical, and that isn't Leo's game. I suppose I'd be OK if they unloaded Sekera and kept Leopold, but I like Sekera's upside more than I like Leo's decent (but not great) consistency.

That's all well and good. If you're going to rebuild, you can't replace every single position. If he's not hurting the team in any way, he's a nice stopgap solution in the move towards the future. Get rid of him after his deal's up, fine, but he shouldn't be a part of any immediate purge.

Here is my list.

Keep to build around

Vanek - IMO Cup contending teams need a feared sniper. And guys with Vanek's output are pretty hard to come by

Kassian

Adam - I think we have the future #2 line with Adam and Kass. He still needs a bit of time though.

Myers

Ehrhoff

Regehr

McNabb

Leopold - Poor man's Doug Bodger IMO. He's maligned more than he should be. Decent 3/4 guy.

Boyes - I know this is probably an unpopular choice but the guy works his tail off and unlike Leino, does whatever is asked without complaint. And I also think that if he is given a good quality #2 center he'll do just fine.

Guys that I think are worth keeping but won't care if they are moved as part of the rebuild

Pominville - I put him here instead of "build around" because with the year he is having he may never have more value than right now. If he doesn't have the value I think he might then I am more than OK with keeping him. He is very capable of holding up his end of the secondary scoring responsibilities. And he is a good teammate that puts in an honest effort.

Leino - I think we haven't seen his best yet. And it may be because of the mix of players here.

Hecht - I put him here with the premise that it is in a different role. I want to see Hecht on my 3rd line in a lockdown role facing the other teams' top lines. Maybe with Gerbe and Pommer.

Sekera - Every team needs a 2nd unit powerplay Dman, right?

Weber - He's the physical D man with the least upside IMO. I like him around but he's replaceable.

Miller

Enroth

Gaustad - but only in the right role, 4th line center. And he'll need to accept a 4th line salary or he gets moved into the next category down.

Guys with value that I think we would be better off jettisoning

Roy

Stafford

Ennis - I want to want this guy to be part of the future but I am having doubts about his ability to be a component on a team with an eye on the Stanley Cup. And I think his age and skill set means he has value in a package for more needed skillsets.

Gerbe - I keep waffling on Nathan. He has games where he seems to be the only player that cares. He's got grit and intensity. But I am not sure what his role would be. He is not showing that he can put up the numbers to be a top 6 guy. He's getting pretty beat up playing an energy role and I don't think he'll last very long if that keeps up. If he can adapt his game to be part of a shutdown line I think he could have alot of value to us. I'm not the guy to evaluate whether he has that in him though so I put him here.

Gragnani - I haven't been among the group ragging on him, but I don't see him as a top 6 D-man on a good playoff team. #7 D-men are a dime a dozen. If he can bring value back, move him. If not, and we can sign him cheap, he's OK as a part time player.

Mr.'s Irrelevant

Ellis - Why is he collecting an NHL sized paycheck again?

McCormick - this hurts me to admit because I like him and I like what he's done for us. But there are many like him and the role is being reduced in the league.

Kaleta - He hasn't been an effective pest in two seasons. He's injury prone. Gets minimal points. Doesn't skate well enough to play in a lockdown role. Doesn't draw penalties anymore unless you include the ones called on him.

Did I miss anyone?

He might be 35, but he's had good jump in his step this season.

I like Hecht too and his lockdown ability and unlike other forwards, he does get back on Defense and while not a huge scoring threat, he is a good passer. Out of the three lower centers, despite his age, I would keep him over Goose and McCormick.

That's all well and good. If you're going to rebuild, you can't replace every single position. If he's not hurting the team in any way, he's a nice stopgap solution in the move towards the future. Get rid of him after his deal's up, fine, but he shouldn't be a part of any immediate purge.

I don't disagree with the bolded part, but I want the $3MM to put towards better players.

I'd like to see the following as my 6 defensemen:

Myers

Regehr

Ehrhoff

Sekera

Weber

McNabb

with #7 being one of the kids in Rochester or a cheapo vet. If you'd rather trade Reggie and keep Leopold (since the $$ is about the same), fine, but I'd rather keep Reggie.

It's quite possible that I'm kidding myself, but it just seems inevitable to me at this point that something is going to happen. It could be a trade or waiver of an inconsequential player, it could be a trade of an underachieving top 6 forward, it could be Lindy getting canned, or any or all of the above -- but it feels like DR is going to be gone by the summer if not earlier.

If that's the case, a new GM is most likely going to come in, survey the wreckage and start moving some guys out in order to reshape the team in the way he thinks will work best.

If I were that new GM, I'd have a few categories: (i) guys that need to be gone in order to let a new identity develop on the team, (ii) guys that could be traded if appropriate value is received in return and (iii) guys that I want to build around and accordingly would not trade unless there was a very compelling trade to be made.

Here are my lists based on the above categories:

Guys that Need to be Gone.

Pommer -- he's a good player, but he's well overpaid, not good enough to be a difference-maker and has captained the team into the abyss.

Roy -- it's all been said already.

Hecht -- on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back at $1.5MM per year, but he's one of the guys who's led the charge to mediocrity and needs to be swept clean by the new broom.

Boyes -- similarly, on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back cheaply, but there has to be accountability for long-term failure to produce.

Leopold -- he's OK, but not great, a bit overpaid, not physical, not a difference-maker, they have a lot of defensemen, and I want the salary slot to use towards a good player.

Gragnani -- he's taken a disproportionate amount of criticism IMHO, but he's just OK and there are other defensemen I'd rather see in his slot.

Guys that Could be Traded for Appropriate Value but that I'd be fine with Keeping.

Vanek -- also a good player, but overpaid and not elite. I wouldn't look to unload him, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a truly elite player.

Stafford -- I recognize that many here detest him. I'd rather not give up on a guy with his size and skill just yet, but I fully understand those who do.

Ennis -- had a great rookie year and got lost with injuries this year amid the sea of mediocrity. We can't have 3 smurfs in the top 6, but I think we can have 2.

Gaustad -- I only want him back as a #4 center at $1.5MM per year or so. He really crapped the bed in Lucic-Miller, so I can understand those who would put him in category #1.

Sekera -- I'd like to keep him as I think he has Soupy potential, but if he can bring a good return, I'm OK.

Miller -- I think he will recapture his mojo at some point. However, he costs too much in an era of interchangeable goalies and bears a good amount of the blame for this year's debacle.

Enroth -- Not ready to be a #1 goalie IMHO, but could garner a good return in trade from a team that disagrees.

Guys that I want to Build Around.

Gerbe

Kaleta -- he doesn't cost much, he hits, he draws penalties, he kills penalties and the Sabres need to keep as much grit as possible.

Leino -- included here because it would look Mickey Mouse to trade him right after signing him and would impair their ability to get future UFAs

Adam

Kassian

Myers

Ehrhoff

Regehr

Weber

McNabb

Irrelevant

Ellis

McCormick

I'd like to see how others feel about these categories and views on how the roster breaks down.

You have to file Lieno under "Gone." I don't see the logic in keeping him. Is letting go a 4th line winger you grossly overpaid really going to keep other free agents away? I doubt it. If cutting Lieno has any effect on future free agents it will be other 4th line wingers calling the Sabres looking for a big payday.

Veteran forwards to keep: Vanek, Pommers,

- Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Leino, Kaleta, Adam

Veteran Defnders to keep: Ehrhoff, Regehr

- Myers, Weber, McNabb

Goalie: Enroth

Everyone else goes. This means no Stanley cup for at least 3 years, but if you dump everyone else and implement this you will get at least 1 top 5 draft pick (cuz we would tank) along with probably and extra 1st rounder from trading people. Of course this is the drastic decisive way to do this so... it will never happen under Darcy "cant pull the trigger" Regier

It's quite possible that I'm kidding myself, but it just seems inevitable to me at this point that something is going to happen. It could be a trade or waiver of an inconsequential player, it could be a trade of an underachieving top 6 forward, it could be Lindy getting canned, or any or all of the above -- but it feels like DR is going to be gone by the summer if not earlier.

If that's the case, a new GM is most likely going to come in, survey the wreckage and start moving some guys out in order to reshape the team in the way he thinks will work best.

If I were that new GM, I'd have a few categories: (i) guys that need to be gone in order to let a new identity develop on the team, (ii) guys that could be traded if appropriate value is received in return and (iii) guys that I want to build around and accordingly would not trade unless there was a very compelling trade to be made.

Here are my lists based on the above categories:

Guys that Need to be Gone.

Pommer -- he's a good player, but he's well overpaid, not good enough to be a difference-maker and has captained the team into the abyss.

Roy -- it's all been said already.

Hecht -- on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back at $1.5MM per year, but he's one of the guys who's led the charge to mediocrity and needs to be swept clean by the new broom.

Boyes -- similarly, on paper I'd be fine with bringing him back cheaply, but there has to be accountability for long-term failure to produce.

Leopold -- he's OK, but not great, a bit overpaid, not physical, not a difference-maker, they have a lot of defensemen, and I want the salary slot to use towards a good player.

Gragnani -- he's taken a disproportionate amount of criticism IMHO, but he's just OK and there are other defensemen I'd rather see in his slot.

Guys that Could be Traded for Appropriate Value but that I'd be fine with Keeping.

Vanek -- also a good player, but overpaid and not elite. I wouldn't look to unload him, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a truly elite player.

Stafford -- I recognize that many here detest him. I'd rather not give up on a guy with his size and skill just yet, but I fully understand those who do.

Ennis -- had a great rookie year and got lost with injuries this year amid the sea of mediocrity. We can't have 3 smurfs in the top 6, but I think we can have 2.

Gaustad -- I only want him back as a #4 center at $1.5MM per year or so. He really crapped the bed in Lucic-Miller, so I can understand those who would put him in category #1.

Sekera -- I'd like to keep him as I think he has Soupy potential, but if he can bring a good return, I'm OK.

Miller -- I think he will recapture his mojo at some point. However, he costs too much in an era of interchangeable goalies and bears a good amount of the blame for this year's debacle.

Enroth -- Not ready to be a #1 goalie IMHO, but could garner a good return in trade from a team that disagrees.

Guys that I want to Build Around.

Gerbe

Kaleta -- he doesn't cost much, he hits, he draws penalties, he kills penalties and the Sabres need to keep as much grit as possible.

Leino -- included here because it would look Mickey Mouse to trade him right after signing him and would impair their ability to get future UFAs

Adam

Kassian

Myers

Ehrhoff

Regehr

Weber

McNabb

Irrelevant

Ellis

McCormick

I'd like to see how others feel about these categories and views on how the roster breaks down.

Pretty much agree. I'm tired of see Pommers forcheck as* first cuz he's afraid.

Stafford needs to be gone.

I'd switch Ennis and Gerbe. One's pretty much a mature man and the other doesn't shave. I see upside with Ennis and he is a great skater.

Regehr can't skate and could move up or down in my opinion, except he is only signed for one more year. He can't hurt us too much.

Unfortunately, until Regier is gone, the point is mute. He is stubborn and out of touch with the league.

The following 4 things need to happen ASAP to salvage the season (and perhaps the Buffalo careers of Regier and Ruff):

1. Boyes replaced with Kassian full-time.

2. Leopold replaced with McNabb full-time.

3. Roy replaced with a veteran gritty #2 scoring center with size and heart.

4. Hecht replaced with a true #1 center via some sort of trade involving these 4 aforementioned players to be jettisoned.

I'm trying to be realistic here, so that is why I don't have us trading players like Leino, Stafford, and Miller.

If anyone gets replaced full time its Weber by McNabb or Gragnani by McNabb. Leopold is just fine, but I would use him as trade bait.

You aren't trading Boyes unless someone is very desperate. He's got a $4m salary and that's a lot for a guy who isn't going to score... even for a rental.

Absolutely. The only way I see him going is through a trade, precisely because he has value to someone else and we don't necessarily need him.

You have to file Lieno under "Gone." I don't see the logic in keeping him. Is letting go a 4th line winger you grossly overpaid really going to keep other free agents away? I doubt it. If cutting Lieno has any effect on future free agents it will be other 4th line wingers calling the Sabres looking for a big payday.

Who's picking up Leino's tab for us? You want to eat $4.5m on the books for NOTHING? His salary will keep other free agents away.. because the Sabres can't afford to have it on the payroll and not have the player in the lineup. Besides, I think he's fine.. he's still showing a bit more than some other guys on the team who make near his salary.

Finally ,what is everyone's problem with Ellis? Cripes. The guy gives his all every shift, controls the puck well around the boards and chews up ice time as needed. He's not a liability and at his salary is an absolute steal to put on the ice. I don't see it. He gets paid 4th line / 13th forward money and he plays hard.

I was hoping for a better response from you than this.

If anyone gets replaced full time its Weber by McNabb or Gragnani by McNabb. Leopold is just fine, but I would use him as trade bait.

You aren't trading Boyes unless someone is very desperate. He's got a $4m salary and that's a lot for a guy who isn't going to score... even for a rental.

Absolutely. The only way I see him going is through a trade, precisely because he has value to someone else and we don't necessarily need him.

I generally agree with this.

As for Leopold, a trade is what I had in mind. As you point out, the Sabres don't really need him, or more particularly, they need the $3MM salary slot more than they need him.

There are lots of players on this team that have had my jaw on the floor watching them fail game after game. But at this point, it seems so obvious to me that a GM/coaching change needs to happen, like, yesterday that I want to see how ALL of these "failures" perform for a new coach. Something tells me we could see at least 50% of them completely revive their careers under a new coach and I want to see them get a chance to here before we ship them off because of their failures under Ruff.

Archived