I'm an idiot

Doohickie

Hi my name is Dennis, and I cannot live without the Sabres, even when they drive me to drink.

In all seriousness, I grew up with both of my parents avid Sabres fans. My mom had season tickets to the Aud until my sister was born, and told me stories of the French connection, and the bench clearing brawls, and the "good 'ol Days". Then I got to meet Pat Lafontaine, and started watching and going to games, and it was history. I was 10/11 years old, staying up all hours of the night watching the Dallas game, long after my parents had gone to bed. I was heartbroken my freshman year of college when they lost game 7 to Carolina. I was devastated even more the following year, even though now the Carolina and Dallas loses sting even more.

I am thru and thru a Sabres fan, born and raised, and no matter what, I just cannot walk away. I live in the Ithaca area, and yet still go to 8 - 12 games a year, and always have money saved up for playoffs, and maybe even the Stanley Cup games. I even told my boss at work that if the Sabres win the cup, I will be taking the day off of work directly after, and whatever day they have the parade, in order to go celebrate the meaning of life...(he's from Boston...hopefully he'll understand).

Hi my name is Dennis, and I cannot live without the Sabres, even when they drive me to drink.

In all seriousness, I grew up with both of my parents avid Sabres fans. My mom had season tickets to the Aud until my sister was born, and told me stories of the French connection, and the bench clearing brawls, and the "good 'ol Days". Then I got to meet Pat Lafontaine, and started watching and going to games, and it was history. I was 10/11 years old, staying up all hours of the night watching the Dallas game, long after my parents had gone to bed. I was heartbroken my freshman year of college when they lost game 7 to Carolina. I was devastated even more the following year, even though now the Carolina and Dallas loses sting even more.

I am thru and thru a Sabres fan, born and raised, and no matter what, I just cannot walk away. I live in the Ithaca area, and yet still go to 8 - 12 games a year, and always have money saved up for playoffs, and maybe even the Stanley Cup games. I even told my boss at work that if the Sabres win the cup, I will be taking the day off of work directly after, and whatever day they have the parade, in order to go celebrate the meaning of life...(he's from Boston...hopefully he'll understand).

if he doesn't, toss him in the harbor. :)

hi, my name is chris, and i'm a sabres fan. this is my 25th year of following them, and there's no end in sight. sometimes ... sometimes, i feel like i *need* to walk away. you know ... for my sanity, right? and i've tried. i tell myself every year, "i will *not* re-order the CI package this time. NO. i will save that money and put it towards a family vacation. or my girls' college fund. or ... or SOMEthing!" but no. every year, i get recharged the $170 to follow a team i literally have dyed in my blood. if you cut me open, i bleed blue and gold. for a period, i bled red and black, but not anymore.

and really, isn't every game like a little mini-vacation? a very stressful, anxiety-ridden vacation, where the kids are in the back seat beating on each other and screaming "MOM! SHE TOUCHED ME!" "DAD!! I WANT A CHEESEBURGER!!!" "ARE WE THERE YET?!" i want to tell them that yes--we're there! we've reached the promised land! we have arrived at nirvana. but the reality is so much colder and darker than anything i want to tell them. they're young. they do not need to be subjected to this ..... THIS!

and the part that worries me the most is that they're already there. they already have little jerseys. they already know miller, roy, stafford, vanek, pominville ... all by number. my daughter wants a picture of roy, bless her gargantuan heart. they get exicted when the sabres are ahead, and they know daddy is "sad" when they lose.

i mean ... it's just a game, right? it's just a bunch of people getting paid to play with sticks and a puck. in the end, it doesn't *really* matter ... right?

right ...?

my name is chris, and i'm a sabres addict.

My name is Ed and I am a Sabre-holic (and by extension, an idiot as well). I have followed the Sabres since their creation in 1970. Prior to Buffalo being granted an NHL franchise, I was a Chicago Blackhawk fan (and am delighted that they are no longer a league laughingstock). When the Sabres reached the playoffs just a few short seasons after they came into being, I was thrilled. I held out hope that the Sabres would be the first expansion team to win the Stanley Cup. The Flyers ( :death: ) ruined that for us, and added insult to injury by defeating our Sabres in the Cup finals a year later. That '74-'75 team was the best Sabre team ever, and probably one of the best teams the league has ever seen. I was thrilled when the team was bought by an owner who promised us the moon and the stars, but a little disappointed that more hasn't been done thus far towards that goal. While realizing that meaningful change takes time, you also do have to start the process. While realizing that the new owner is also a fan, I resent it a little bit when told to "be patient". For someone who has been there since the beginning, I have to say that us longtime fans have been nothing BUT patient. The time to act is now...

It would be very easy to backslide and become a Blackhawk fan again. They have a great young core of players, they've recently won a Cup and are on top of the league. But, I cannot (and will not) walk away from my hometown team, my Sabres. Yes, I am a Sabre-holic....and yes, most likely still an idiot. :doh:

My name is Randy and I’m also sabre-holic :w00t:

Growing up I was a Chicago Blackhawk fan until the age of 13, my older brother was and still is a diehard Flyers fan :sick: . It was the 74/75 season Stanley Cup playoffs that I became a Sabres fan; initially it was just because I wanted to cheer the team that knocked out the Blackhawks.

After the Montreal series and then the finals against the Flyers (who can forget the fog game when Jim Lorentz killed a bat with his stick?) I was hooked. Blue and Gold quickly replaced Red, Black and White – guys like Korab, Gare, Lorentz, Ramsay, Martin, Robert and of course Perreault quickly replaced Toney Esposito, Stan Mikita and Jim Pappin, I never looked back.

I have a 12 year old Black Lab/Rottweiler mix dog named Max – my at the time 13 year old daughter named him after Max Afinogenov after she meet him and Jay McKee and the outlet mall in Niagara Falls signing autographs during the 99/2000 season.

I walked away from football and my season tickets after 4-Pete – I ‘am at best now a casual fan of the sport.

I would be considered by many here as part of the Chet and Muffy fan base that sit up in the 200’s but I’m far from the wine and cheese fan that sits on his hands. I spend in excess of $10k a “regular” season between season tickets, food and refreshments (okay -not much food and copious amounts of liquid refreshments) at the arena (center) before the team makes the playoffs.

I am like most here more than disappointed with the product on the ice and feel its past time for change. Expectations for this season were through the roof and based off the changes from last season probably unjustifiably so, it was very easy to get caught up in the hype of new ownership and money that was being invested.

I for one will continue to invest and put my trust into the ownership of the club that he will do what is necessary to finally bring the cup to Buffalo. I consider this past off season and events up to this point the honeymoon period leading up to the 3 year itch (hasn’t been the 7 year itch since the 1950’s). Terry is already getting tired of laziness, bitchiness, and lack of gratification and will look outside for that feeling he felt a short time ago, that high, the fast beating of his heart..

Hi my name is Randy and I’m addicted. “She” promised me she would change, I love her – she is my team, my soul and I will give her another chance. :wub:

i tell myself every year, "i will *not* re-order the CI package this time. NO.

Haha. I was impressed with myself for not buying it this year because I'm extremely busy trying to finish up school... except that now during everygame I'm just sitting at the laptop refreshing nhl.com and the game day threads every three minutes, then obsessively checking to see when highlights are available after the game. I guess I'm saving money! :)

Are you from WNY originally, Chris?

Hi, my name is Brian and I am an addict.

I'm addicted enough I wouldn't buy a house if I couldn't keep my DirecTV account because NHL Center Ice isn't enough - I need pre game, post game, and ever game in HD.

I'm an addict because even though rooting for Buffalo sports teams can seem like an unhealthy relationship I'm a fan - and I always will be. I was there in 99 for the "No Goal" my senior year of high school, won an autographed hockey stick in 1986 (Section 5, Row T, Seat 5) in the old Aud. Was there when they got crushed 6-1 by Detroit in 96 in the first game @ Marine Midland Arena. I remember Derek Plante's overtime goal against Ottawa like it was yesterday and remember the 4-game sweet of Boston in 87 or 88 when we hadn't made the playoffs for years.

I grew up going to games and then moved to Penguins land - but I can't bring myself to become a Pens fan.

(As a side note, I've really enjoyed reading these stories - Sports have the strangest way of becoming part of who we are even to the point of being unhealthy sometimes)

My name is Matt, and I am a Sabres fan. Have been for 20+ years. Rather than going into the specifics of my dedication to the Blue and Gold, I offer this epiphany of sorts:

LOOK AT IT THIS WAY, IF YOU ARE A SABRES FAN, THE BEST DAY OF YOUR LIFE HASN'T HAPPENED YET.

My name is Jason, and I am a Sabres fan. I have been suffering this terrible affliction for a long ad I can remember. My first really vivid Sabres memory would have to be the Malarchuk "unpleasantness.". I was in fourth grade, learned a lot about its intransigence of life that night... I loved Patty and Alex and Dale and Mayday and Rayzor, the team has not been that much fun since. Better, yes, but somehow less joyful. Perhaps it's just nostalgia...

I was in the arena for Game 6 of the '98 ECF... damn you Joe Juneau. I had not before and have never since heard / felt the life go out of a building that fast, ever. Perhaps that's where the atmosphere went, who knows? I kept on, hadmy heart broken even worse the next spring, and every subsequent spring up through the dismantling of the team when Rigas got caught...

I suffered through the lockout and watched as the Sabres rose from the ashes and put together a contender, one Jay McKee leg infection away from the cup in '06 (oh, how they would have mauled Edmonton) and one Ottawa away in '07.

I was relatively excited when Pegula bought the club, and am growing less excited after this summer's unwise spending spree led to a thusfar predictably mediocre yield. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong, an will keep watching just in case...man, if only crack dealers had this hook...

Archived