Trade Idea with Anaheim

Warriorspikes51

Roy and Stafford packaged with Sekera might get us something but probably not the impact player needed. But MAYBE a shakeup on this team would wake them up, I thought dumping Lindy would help but canes are flopping just as bad under new coach as old and hate to see same here.

...as are the Capitals and Ducks.

Both teams could use a shake-up.

Getzlaf, Lydman for Roy, Stafford, Sekera, 2nd

Seems about right value wise. Ducks get younger, and a great value contract in Roy. Sabres get a Center to play with Van and get more consistent on the back-end.

I like any idea to possibly change things around. Keep it up man. Dont listen to what anyone else says unless its constructive. Constructive is not saying that trade posts should be banned. Only the people who think the more posts they have makes them more knowledgeable should be banned.

I bet you at least one if not two of those teams turns it around.

Perhaps, but there is something wrong with the Caps, especially Ovechkin. And Hiller seems to have fallen off the table this year for the Ducks. I think it's more likely that the Sabres turn it around.

...as are the Capitals and Ducks.

I rate Lindy as more of a technically able coach than all 3 coaches to be honest. In my mind there is no 1 issue with this team, a 'shakeup' might work but it might make things worse. We do lack a true veteran presence but not much else from what I can see. Everyone on the ice seems to be trying so hard to get into a position for that 'guaranteed goal' that they never shoot, look at the Ottawa game. We spent so much time passing around the zone that the defenders where the only ones shooting whereas they were just firing it from anywhere and it worked, our defense got rattled and tired and Miller can only do so much. No 'great trade idea' will help that attitude.

IMHO.

WOW!

A ban on Trade Prposals? Really?

Sounds like someone is gearing up to recruit some brown shirts in an effort to gag free speech........

Can we just ban the stupid posters that propose them? Last time I checked, free speech ain't got nothin to do with a private owned entity.

WOW!

Sounds like someone is gearing up to recruit some brown shirts in an effort to gag free speech........

What an outrageous response.

Unfortunately someone felt the need to delete the post I made last night addressing this issue, so I'll do it again.

Trade proposal threads are a complete and utter waste of time and effort. This isn't NHL11, this is real life, where no one ever accurately predicts a trade. Ever. And the people that put the most effort into them are for the most part the people least capable of devising any that even come close to making sense. It's like betting on horses when you don't even know who is in the race.

These threads might as well be titled "Hey everyone, look at me, I'm an idiot!"

Also, what Ink said. Free speech don't apply here.

I rate Lindy as more of a technically able coach than all 3 coaches to be honest. In my mind there is no 1 issue with this team, a 'shakeup' might work but it might make things worse. We do lack a true veteran presence but not much else from what I can see. Everyone on the ice seems to be trying so hard to get into a position for that 'guaranteed goal' that they never shoot, look at the Ottawa game. We spent so much time passing around the zone that the defenders where the only ones shooting whereas they were just firing it from anywhere and it worked, our defense got rattled and tired and Miller can only do so much. No 'great trade idea' will help that attitude.

IMHO.

This team is loaded with veterans. We don't need more vets. We need more players willing to agressively go after loose pucks.

here is a thought.... if you hate these trade idea threads DONT READ THEM...

Also some of the ideas are well researched and plausible but most of the "haters" bag on those trades as well because no one on this team is any good unless your name ends in Vanek or Myers so I would suggest some people watch more and read more than just sabres hockey reports and then maybe they would understand that a player like Pommers (whom up thread was said to be underachieving) and even Roy are actually valuable assets that could be the center piece to a deal.

FYI: Pominville has 10g, 22a, for 32points... man that guy is a such a slacker... I cant wait for him to hit that 65pt average plateau I keep being told he will never reach again...

Me thinks the 6'4" 230 lbs franchise point a game player might cost slightly more than that. Vanek and Adam for certain and maybe then some.

So let me get this straight, Vanek our ppg player plus our best rookie plus something and then maybe we could have getzlaf...? What?

Getzlaf: 69pts, 76pts, 23pts - Career 460gp 438pts

Vanek: 53pts, 73pts, 29pts - Career 499gp 415pts

OMG THEIR NUMBERS ARE SO FAR APART THIS DEAL COULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! VANEK SUCKS!!!!!

Or, maybe just maybe this deal would not happen because Anaheim doesn't need a lw... just saying that could be the reason.

I have an even better one...

Roy, Stafford, Sekera, Gragnani, Boyes, Ellis, Pominville, Ennis, Leino, plus draft picks for Getzlaf.... How could Anaheim refuse to take half a team full of underachievers for their best player...?!?!?!? :doh:

If he is having a career year and still underachieving than he must be Crosby's clone cuz thats about the only way to top the numbers he his putting up....

IDK why but sabres fans undervalue their players on a insane level and likewise overvalue other players on that same level.

I think we need to stop hating on all our players. We had 6-7 new guys to start the season, then all the injuries. When this team is healthy again and has a bit of time to gel, then we can assess. With some of the younger players getting NHL experience and some doing well, they will only push the others for playing time...making them all better...and more accountable.

I'm not saying we're the Bruins, but last year on Dec.16th, the Bruins were 16-12-2 (if I figured it out right)...if we win Friday (Dec.16th) we'll be 16-12-3...my point is there's a lot of hockey to play. Some of their games are frustrating to watch now, but once we are healthy and the roles are defined we'll be a quality team.

Additionally, I would like to propose a ban on Trade Proposal threads. They're never worth reading. Ever.

+1

People who call Jason Pominville an underachiever and suggest we trade him always confuse me. Trade him for what? A forward who is 2nd on his team in PP points, kills penalties, a career +49, stays out of the penalty box, is responsible with the puck, and can be counted on for 20 goals and 40 assists a season?

WOW!

seriously, every time I read one of your posts I feel like I'm going to have an aneurysm.

People who call Jason Pominville an underachiever and suggest we trade him always confuse me. Trade him for what? A forward who is 2nd on his team in PP points, kills penalties, a career +49, stays out of the penalty box, is responsible with the puck, and can be counted on for 20 goals and 40 assists a season?

Pominville is a solid 65pt a year forward and it looks like he could be in the midst of having a career year. Why he has no value i cant figure it out. The guys more reliable than the IRS

Pommers: 1.06 ppg this season averaging out to 87pts in 82gp if he maintains this pace.

here is a thought.... if you hate these trade idea threads DONT READ THEM...

Also some of the ideas are well researched and plausible but most of the "haters" bag on those trades as well because no one on this team is any good unless your name ends in Vanek or Myers so I would suggest some people watch more and read more than just sabres hockey reports and then maybe they would understand that a player like Pommers (whom up thread was said to be underachieving) and even Roy are actually valuable assets that could be the center piece to a deal.

FYI: Pominville has 10g, 22a, for 32points... man that guy is a such a slacker... I cant wait for him to hit that 65pt average plateau I keep being told he will never reach again...

So let me get this straight, Vanek our ppg player plus our best rookie plus something and then maybe we could have getzlaf...? What?

Getzlaf: 69pts, 76pts, 23pts - Career 460gp 438pts

Vanek: 53pts, 73pts, 29pts - Career 499gp 415pts

OMG THEIR NUMBERS ARE SO FAR APART THIS DEAL COULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! VANEK SUCKS!!!!!

Or, maybe just maybe this deal would not happen because Anaheim doesn't need a lw... just saying that could be the reason.

If he is having a career year and still underachieving than he must be Crosby's clone cuz thats about the only way to top the numbers he his putting up....

IDK why but sabres fans undervalue their players on a insane level and likewise overvalue other players on that same level.

You're right. NHL GMs are falling all over themselves trying to trade guys like Malkin, Staal and Getzlaf for the guys on the Sabres who are "putting up numbers" but for some reason haven't been able to win a playoff series since the grownups left in disgust in 2007. All DR needs to do is pick up the phone!

If I am an opposing GM, I target guys on other teams who are not being used properly. It helps if they have youth or a managable contract as well.

Vancouver has long taken an interest in our bigger forwards. They even sniffed around about Vanek late last year.

Guys on the Sabres that probably have a higher value to other teams in my opinion and could be tradable are Stafford, Gaustad, Gerbe, Weber. If I advised another franchise, that is who I would target in trying to get.

There are plenty of decent/quality players that are who they are.....Vanek, Pominville, Miller, Regehr, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Hecht, Lieno....but there is no value in their age or contracts.

A guy like Roy or Ennis has value....I still think Roy can stfu if on a team with leaders who will force him to focus. Ennis has some creative upside and is young and cheap. I guess throw Enroth in the same category. Gragnani and Adam are playable prospects but a ?? in my mind that I am sure Darcy overvalues.

Myers is a unique situation in that he has franchise potential, but has not improved his game as of yet and is fully priced. Sure he has value, but he is not someone who will get the door knocked down at this point in time.

Then you have the pure prospects.

Sekera, Boyes, Kaleta, McCormick, Ellis....you'd have to pay me to take. Maybe Sekera gets a nibble but his contract is an anchor. The other guys you pick up as training camp invitees off waivers.

Roy on a team like Pittsburgh or Chicago could have a renewal.

Stafford on a team that cycles and drives to the net could pick up those habbits like the flu.

Gaustad as a role player on Detroit or Boston could be a leader in his own right and win a Cup.

Weber and Gerbe could have a bright future and still contribute on just about any number of teams.

The problem with the Sabres is the system and players too familiar with each other. A change of scenery can do wonders. We had young Regehr here for the first 15 games, but as injuries piled up he was forced to settle down and is resembling more the Calgary '09-'11 Regehr. On an upstart or confident top team, some of the guys people are crying to trade actually do have value.The good teams stay good for a reason, and the mediocre ones stay mediocre as well.

What an outrageous response.

Unfortunately someone felt the need to delete the post I made last night addressing this issue, so I'll do it again.

Trade proposal threads are a complete and utter waste of time and effort. This isn't NHL11, this is real life, where no one ever accurately predicts a trade. Ever. And the people that put the most effort into them are for the most part the people least capable of devising any that even come close to making sense. It's like betting on horses when you don't even know who is in the race.

These threads might as well be titled "Hey everyone, look at me, I'm an idiot!"

Also, what Ink said. Free speech don't apply here.

Ban team stormcloud for inciting arguments as well, oh and any thread about Ruff because everyone knows whats going to be said and...

Don't like 'em, don't read 'em. Your a bigger idiot for posting here. Simple as.

If I am an opposing GM, I target guys on other teams who are not being used properly. It helps if they have youth or a managable contract as well.

Vancouver has long taken an interest in our bigger forwards. They even sniffed around about Vanek late last year.

Guys on the Sabres that probably have a higher value to other teams in my opinion and could be tradable are Stafford, Gaustad, Gerbe, Weber. If I advised another franchise, that is who I would target in trying to get.

There are plenty of decent/quality players that are who they are.....Vanek, Pominville, Miller, Regehr, Leopold, Ehrhoff, Hecht, Lieno....but there is no value in their age or contracts.

A guy like Roy or Ennis has value....I still think Roy can stfu if on a team with leaders who will force him to focus. Ennis has some creative upside and is young and cheap. I guess throw Enroth in the same category. Gragnani and Adam are playable prospects but a ?? in my mind that I am sure Darcy overvalues.

Myers is a unique situation in that he has franchise potential, but has not improved his game as of yet and is fully priced. Sure he has value, but he is not someone who will get the door knocked down at this point in time.

Then you have the pure prospects.

Sekera, Boyes, Kaleta, McCormick, Ellis....you'd have to pay me to take. Maybe Sekera gets a nibble but his contract is an anchor. The other guys you pick up as training camp invitees off waivers.

Roy on a team like Pittsburgh or Chicago could have a renewal.

Stafford on a team that cycles and drives to the net could pick up those habbits like the flu.

Gaustad as a role player on Detroit or Boston could be a leader in his own right and win a Cup.

Weber and Gerbe could have a bright future and still contribute on just about any number of teams.

The problem with the Sabres is the system and players too familiar with each other. A change of scenery can do wonders. We had young Regehr here for the first 15 games, but as injuries piled up he was forced to settle down and is resembling more the Calgary '09-'11 Regehr. On an upstart or confident top team, some of the guys people are crying to trade actually do have value.The good teams stay good for a reason, and the mediocre ones stay mediocre as well.

I SO often disagree with you but in this case I gotta say good post, good points. :)

This team is loaded with veterans. We don't need more vets. We need more players willing to agressively go after loose pucks.

There's a difference between 30 year olds and classy vets nearing retirement imho. but yes I agree aggression is massively lacking.

Getzlaf would be a great get. He comes cheap contract wise with just 1 more year left after this year at $5.3 mil. I proposed a trade to the Ducks previously. If I had to make an offer today I would offer:

Sabres get Getzlaf and Hiller.

Ducks get Miller, Roy, Mcnabb, and a #1.

This is a deal that shakes up the Sabres "core" and hopefully changes the direction of the team without moving Vanek. I would also move Pominville in a separate deal because I would want Getzlaf to be the Sabres Captain.

A goaltending tandem of Hiller and Enroth is one I think I can win with long term and comes at a good price salary wise.

I like your proposal & the logic behind it, however, I am hung up on McNabb being part of this scenario. Some other highly-touted prospect, yes, but not McNabb....he has shown me too much already.

Just my 2 cents .....

so if im correct this site isnt dedicated to all things sabres? no more trade ideas can be posted. however we can have threads dedicated to shanahan and grier. one who is in the nhl front office and one who is retired. while we are at it lets make a rule no one is allowed to have fun and post their ideas unless you have a few thousand posts under your belt. i gurantee some kid who plays hockey for their school has more fun and interesting hockey stuff to talk about than grier and shanny. nobody is claiming to have inside information its all in good fun. i think if we can have a 100+ page complaint thursday thread we can have a little talk about trading players. by the way if you want to complain about threads put it in the thursday one. sorry if i offend you oh gods of cyber space.

So let me get this straight, Vanek our ppg player plus our best rookie plus something and then maybe we could have Getzlaf?

You pay more for Getzlaf because he's a big physical center and a leader. You always pay more for a center and definitely pay way more for grit and leadership. Not to mention Anaheim is going to want a center in return as well as Vanek.

OR...

Statsny for Roy, Sekera, and a 2nd... might need a little more but it works better than anything involving getzlaf... of course on this board some jack@ss said Pommers is underachieving so clearly the concept of the value of certain sabres players is obscured by the hatred for this team that the fans are currently suffering through...

Lets break this down..

Roy has more points this season and a better +/- than Stastny. They are both former 2nd round picks and Roy is a whopping 2 years older. Roy has more playoff experience. The Avs are young and contrary to the Roy hate that infests this board he is a very good playmaking center. Sekera is a solid 3-4 defender and is also able to join the rush. He is having what seems to be an average season for him and hes been a little light on the scoring front but has been solid in his own end. They get a 2nd for the sake of overpayment...

Now I know that this trade will be rediculed and called stupid and foolish and insane and a host of other things. The sad part is if you do possess a brain and can actually see what players bring to the table its a good trade with a Colorado winning out by getting better and the sabres change their top six.

Now you can go ahead and ridicule and bust on me and do whatever else you want but i honestly no longer care. After seeing the Regehr trade most of the so called "experts" on this board have no clue about fair value and are to marred in their hatred for the certain sabres...

haha dude, like three days ago in an Eklund thread you posted this exact same "trade proposal" and when another poster and I rolled our eyes you "grilled" us with the old "WOW I WAS BEING SARCASTIC HOW DUMB ARE YOU FOR NOT PICKING IT UP" excuse.... apparently you weren't being sarcastic since you're still posting the same offer three threads later.

you're quickly becoming the most annoying poster on the board for me :flirt:

so if im correct this site isnt dedicated to all things sabres? no more trade ideas can be posted. however we can have threads dedicated to shanahan and grier. one who is in the nhl front office and one who is retired. while we are at it lets make a rule no one is allowed to have fun and post their ideas unless you have a few thousand posts under your belt. i gurantee some kid who plays hockey for their school has more fun and interesting hockey stuff to talk about than grier and shanny. nobody is claiming to have inside information its all in good fun. i think if we can have a 100+ page complaint thursday thread we can have a little talk about trading players. by the way if you want to complain about threads put it in the thursday one. sorry if i offend you oh gods of cyber space.

What is the point of this post? Certainly you understand that no one is saying "don't post any trade ideas" or "only post if you have several thousand posts." Why would you spew this nonsense?

To be clear: I (and, I would guess, most of the grown-ups here) have no problem discussing potential trades as long as they are somewhat plausible. But people come here for knowledgeable hockey talk, and proposing a trade of the Sabres' underachievers for an elite player is a ridiculous waste of time.

As SDS has trenchantly pointed out: if you are thinking about posting a trade, and you would make the trade in a second if it were offered to you (like, say, Roy and Stafford for Getzlaf), it's probably an unrealistic trade. It only becomes plausible when the price is high enough so that you start to think that it's too much to give up.

Archived