Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Edmonton would be getting a long term guy for someone they have no future with. They're the one that would probably have to throw in a pick or two to make the deal happen.

But they are getting a player that might just need a change of scenery and they can control for a few more seasons. Buffalo is helping them out by clearing cap space for a guy they would lose at the end of the year for nothing. Basically the Sabres are doing them a favour giving them stafford for Cap relief this offseason. If they truly want Stafford to upgrade their team, they may have to give up a pick and Hemsky to sweeten the deal for Buffalo.

I don't think the Sabres will sign Hemsky as a UFA. So, why not get rid of Stafford for a pick, but I guess the Oilers would want to get rid of Hemsky and his salary. Oh, well ... seems I asked and answered my question in my post. Carry on.

It may not be for a pick, but it gives them cap space this offseason for taking Hemsky til the end of the season. No one is saying Hemsky would be part of the rebuild

couldn't we just trade stafford for the pick and not get hemsky involved? I mean that clears capspace for us to make other possible moves... and why would we trade for a guy we won't resign in a season we won't make the playoffs. I refuse to believe that Stafford is equivalent to the value of a craptastic rental player. Of course another season like he had this year and he will be.

If you are rebuilding you trade for picks and prospects not over the hill rental players. Hell couldn't we just send drew to Rochester if we wanted to dump salary? Food for thought. Rebuild = Picks or Prospects

But they are getting a player that might just need a change of scenery and they can control for a few more seasons. Buffalo is helping them out by clearing cap space for a guy they would lose at the end of the year for nothing. Basically the Sabres are doing them a favour giving them stafford for Cap relief this offseason. If they truly want Stafford to upgrade their team, they may have to give up a pick and Hemsky to sweeten the deal for Buffalo.

You have me confused here. Earlier it looked like you were saying Buffalo would have to add a pick. Now you're saying the opposite.

couldn't we just trade stafford for the pick and not get hemsky involved? I mean that clears capspace for us to make other possible moves... and why would we trade for a guy we won't resign in a season we won't make the playoffs. I refuse to believe that Stafford is equivalent to the value of a craptastic rental player. Of course another season like he had this year and he will be.

If you are rebuilding you trade for picks and prospects not over the hill rental players. Hell couldn't we just send drew to Rochester if we wanted to dump salary? Food for thought. Rebuild = Picks or Prospects

There's real money being moved around as well. Edmonton may not want to add payroll to their current roster. That's what is happening with this idea people are throwing around.

Edited by shrader

You have me confused here. Earlier it looked like you were saying Buffalo would have to add a pick. Now you're saying the opposite.

There's real money being moved around as well. Edmonton may not want to add payroll to their current roster. That's what is happening with this idea people are throwing around.

Sorry, meant to say the oilers might have to throw in a pick (Probably a 3rd or later) to sweeten the deal.

If you are Edmonton, you are getting a player who has potential and may just need a change of scenery to get back his production from last year and they get to dump Hemsky. The advantage for the Sabres taking Hemsky back is that they get him for a few months to see if he can be a better replacement for Stafford and re-sign him this offseason, or they let him walk and save over $4mil in cap space for next season. If you send Drew down to the minors, you get nothing in return, still have to pay him out his contract, AND is there not still a partial cap hit they would face?

If you send Drew down to the minors, you get nothing in return, still have to pay him out his contract, AND is there not still a partial cap hit they would face?

That would never happen. Stafford wouldn't clear waivers. There would be no cap hit if he somehow did though. There's only a cap hit if he signed the deal while over 35 years old (Buffalo take the entire cap hit) or if he's claimed on re-entry waivers (Buffalo gets half of the cap hit).

Sorry, meant to say the oilers might have to throw in a pick (Probably a 3rd or later) to sweeten the deal.

If you are Edmonton, you are getting a player who has potential and may just need a change of scenery to get back his production from last year and they get to dump Hemsky. The advantage for the Sabres taking Hemsky back is that they get him for a few months to see if he can be a better replacement for Stafford and re-sign him this offseason, or they let him walk and save over $4mil in cap space for next season. If you send Drew down to the minors, you get nothing in return, still have to pay him out his contract, AND is there not still a partial cap hit they would face?

No. That is why that D man with the last name starting with "M" is down there and why Kotalik would be, if he were not in Europe. The NHL salary has to be paid, but no cap hit. This is assuming he clears waivers, which I highly doubt. If he didn't clear waivers I believe the Sabres would be responsible for paying part of his salary and take a partial cap it. There would be a partial cap hit also if the Sabres just bought him out ... like Tim Kennedy.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Thats what I figured, just wasn't 100% sure. I knew they had to pay the out the remainder of the contract.

And someone would definitly claim him on re-entry waivers. Theres also a very good chance that a team with cap space would claim him on waivers just to take a chance on the whole "change of scenery" idea.

I would have to agree that it is time for Stafford to move on.

Would teams consider Drew Stafford in a trade?

I am interested in seeing Patrick Kane in the Blue and Gold; however, I don't think a trade like that would involve Drew Stafford's name.

I maybe going out on the limb but, I would like to see Buffalo trade Jason Pominville to the Blackhawks for Patrick Kane.

Patrick Kane is in a huge slump right now, and after listening to the Blackhawk media, it sounds like he is in a bad way on several front's.

It maybe be the away to procure a young talented wing with some attitude. Changing of the guard.

Kane and Kassian; looks like a couple of needed fire starters to me, especially when we don't even have smoke right now.

I am sure there are a lot of problems that would make this deal impossible; I can think of a couple:

1. Kane would really have be in a bad way with the organization, and be looking to be traded.

2. The Blackhawks are one of three teams that lead the goals for statistic, are they in need of anymore offense? They are in that position without Patrick Kanes production.

They can afford to wait for Kane's slump to end.

It's never that simple is it?

Edited by hockeyhound

You won't get Kane for just Pomminstein, maybe for Vanek or Myers straight up

Kane was a #1 overall pick and younger then Pomminstein, he has also been a better player in his short career then Pomminstein. A little slump he is in now will not have the 'Hawks trading him for just anyone

Darcy would have to give up this entire draft to get Kane. Plus McNabb and Kassian.

Straight up?

Never going to happen.

Would you like to see Kane in the Blue and Gold?

Darcy would have to give up this entire draft to get Kane. Plus McNabb and Kassian.

That seems a bit excessive.

Are you saying 1st round draft pick, McNabb and Kassian?

You won't get Kane for just Pomminstein, maybe for Vanek or Myers straight up

Kane was a #1 overall pick and younger then Pomminstein, he has also been a better player in his short career then Pomminstein. A little slump he is in now will not have the 'Hawks trading him for just anyone

If the Blackhawks thought they could still get the job done without Kane, wouldn't it be tempting to deal him off, thus creating some cap space for themselves among other things?

Absolutely.

But, it would take more than Pominville to get him ... were talking Vanek, or Myers and probably some picks going both ways.

Draft pick, and Vanek?

I didn't realize this guys stock was so pricey.

I would have to disagree, I think Vanek is far more valuable than Kane.

Edited by hockeyhound