Stafford needs to go

Eleven

I think where the problem in communication lies, is that some of us have felt that changes needed to be made for 5 years. Yet year after year the exact same structure has been in place. When the team was sold, I was willing to give Ruff a year or two...IF...Darcy was canned. The entire organization is reflective of groupthink from top down and needed to be chopped up. Darcy was allowed to stay on with a blank check and players changed. Yes there are injuries, but that doesn't explain off the same style of play where we rarely see 40 minutes of full effort let alone 60, a passive defense in their own zone, lack of cohesive puck control, and cycling in the offensive zone, the same excuses after every lackluster result, and a full out failure to stick up for one another until the team was a national laughingstock.

Darcy was already given his chance and 40% of the ballot box has been counted. At a minnimum, he should be gone, allowing the new GM to evaluate further moves. Maybe a shrewd GM can make 2 or 3 big moves and Ruff will be able to let those new leaders come in and dictate the feel of the room......but I also doubt that is in Ruff's nature. That leaves many of us wishing for a 1-2 punch of GM and coach to be gone....and if need be, many of the core. It is beyond obvious the 3 Muskatter system doesn't work, yet Ted Black and Pegula, who I gave FULL support to knowing there is a learning curve involved, are further entrenching Regier and Ruff, and now throwing players under the bus. For as much as I see flaws in a lot of the players, I am on their side on this. It has gone on for too long.

I am shocked at the lack of realisation of what Pegula did to Miller, and his failing to understand how that could effect a mental tinderbox like he is. Snarkily saying that was good goaltending and that his teenage daughter can make those saves......Jeez....for an employee friendly owner, he sure strung that kid up. We as fans can critique and bitch, but when you are the owner of a flailing team with possibly your most important player off his game....and you belittle him like that........you are just throwing gasoline on the self made fire you created by empowering Regier and Ruff.

How was there no thread dedicated to Pegula undressing Miller? Some of you guys ran PA out of here for his constant questioning of Miller, yet in Miller's time of need, much like his team in Boston did...his fanbase is now doing the same by hanging him out to dry. He had a crappy game, but he wasn't backpeddling at the blueline on every entry, or being outhit 18-5 with 0 goals at the time. That is a team philosophy at best, or lack of effort at worst, yet Sabres controlled WGR is setting the tone the past few weeks trumpeting the injury excuse, bad goaltending, and all of a sudden the same core that some folks have been clammoring to change for 5 years is now the obvious problem.

As a poster, I have leveled my sterness at the team and individuals involved. I never aim at a poster with a differing idea, that is until the level of person attack or ganging up on a differing point of view gets to an absurd level. Some of the best posters here disagree with my point of view 70-90% of the time, but they are good because we can learn from each other and open each other's eyes to things we may individually miss.

Yes....the excuse de jour is injuries. But on one hand please don't tell me how big of a stud Adam, Kassian or McNabb is, then cry because we are missing a few bottom 6 forwards. Who would you rather trade right now for a #1 center? Adam, Kassian and McNabb, or Hecht, Boyes and Kaleta? Or hell, even Myers, Lieno and Gerbe? Paul Szczechura comes up and is flying all over the place, setting up 3 goals, including 2 game winners in his first 3 games.....all without a Lindy Ruff practice. Now it seems as if he is "Learning the System".

If someone wants to call out a person for going "Lindy Sucks"..."Darcy Sucks", without any valid points....fine. That is clutter. But because you may get frustrated that some people have counterpoints to the 5 years of constant excuses, and can make them well.....don't give up. We are ALL frustrated. I don't even have it in my heart to joke around here because the thermostat is redlining to a point where it isn't fun or advisable.

I was as excited as anyone here when Pegula surfaced. I figured if he ran the team like a new owner would in any other dysfunctional business that they just took over, we were in great shape. Now I am as confused about him as ever. One thing for sure...... he shows plenty of patience when surrounded by a bunch of gas.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Reopened with the faintest of hopes that the thread remains on topic...

1. Let a puck go right under his stick behind the net in the first period, and then skated away rather than battle for it.

2. He actually did fight for one in the third period. He didn't come up with it, but he was in there. I couldn't believe my eyes.

3. WTF was that on the shootout? That's not even trying. That's giving up.

I want him gone so, so badly.

Its hard to believe the potential in Stafford that has been wasted, in our eyes. In his he made it big time with the contracts($$$). When he was at Shattucks he finished second on the team to Crosby in pts with 116 in 65 games. He had a very respectable college career, he has size, speed, skating ability, shot and hockey knowledge. I can understand what the Sabres staff sees in him. Due to his age they are probably unwilling to give up on him but for ^%$%^$ sakes this guy just doesn't have the drive or the passion. I hope at the end of Pegula's first year in control he takes management in for a round table discussion and straightens this ship out. Growing up in Buffalo i can say that playing without hard work and passion are not appreciated nor desired here.

I will add strenght to my last post. He's the strongest guy on the Sabres bench pressing in excess on 400lbs. All the talents and no desire what a waste this kid is!

I guess what we are working on in the gdt should be moved here.

I would like to see stafford traded and boyes resigned for around the 3mil ish range? (guesstimate?) I feel as though he puts forth more effort on a nightly basis and I generally like Boyes attitude more. This is just a thought.

You won't get a bag of pucks for this headcase and Roy...I don't doubt his heart but that injury ruined him.

You are wrong. There are always teams who think they can "fix" the players they are trading for. Roy and Stafford would both have quite a bit of value if put on the market(I'm not getting into trade proposals).

You are wrong. There are always teams who think they can "fix" the players they are trading for. Roy and Stafford would both have quite a bit of value if put on the market(I'm not getting into trade proposals).

I agree with this completely.

To be honest, I don't care if we get "fair value" for them. I know we need at least one more center. I know we don't need Stafford (and to an extent Roy as well). I mentioned it in another thread awhile ago but I have reached a point where I'd be willing to give up Stafford for a draft pick or two if it gave me the cap room to make a prospect-for-Brassard type deal.

I am more than open to the same sort of deal involving Roy as well but it does get us right back to needing another center.

Time will tell if I'm right.

Panthers are reportedly looking for second-line scoring. Perhaps, if they Sabres continue to fall, they should look at a deal like Stafford and a 1st or 2nd for one of their prospect centers like Jonathan Huberdeau or Nick Bjugstad. Huberdeau's got great skill, while Bjugstad is a big two-way center. Probably won't get Huberdeau's, even if the Sabres are looking like they'll have a high 1st-round pick this summer, but I wouldn't hurt to ask. He'll be NHL-ready next season.

• Like (+1) 2

1. Let a puck go right under his stick behind the net in the first period, and then skated away rather than battle for it.

2. He actually did fight for one in the third period. He didn't come up with it, but he was in there. I couldn't believe my eyes.

+1 this. The guy is a waste of space at this stage imho. He shows no consistent effort to be the best and be a leader. I can't remember, his still got an 'A' hasn't he as well?

Edited by LimeySabre

I can't believe I am doing this.....but Stafford might be fine with a new coach and a few new leaders here.

The time to get rid of the core was 2-3 years ago. Now almost all of them except Vanek and Pominville are at low points in a trade value perspective.

You dump the GM and coach and give the rest of the season to sort out who you can salvage with a different on-ice philosophy. Not to say you don't end up shipping out some of these guys, but it isn't smart right now. We are going to end up overpaying for a few new players and bring them into the same tired system, only to find out next year the GM, coach and all your players suck and you are stuck in hell for 3 more years.

I can't believe I am doing this.....but Stafford might be fine with a new coach and a few new leaders here.

The time to get rid of the core was 2-3 years ago. Now almost all of them except Vanek and Pominville are at low points in a trade value perspective.

You dump the GM and coach and give the rest of the season to sort out who you can salvage with a different on-ice philosophy. Not to say you don't end up shipping out some of these guys, but it isn't smart right now. We are going to end up overpaying for a few new players and bring them into the same tired system, only to find out next year the GM, coach and all your players suck and you are stuck in hell for 3 more years.

Stafford has had one good season, it seems to be me he needs a session with Mike Keenan, or a Sutter. Either way he needs a big kick up the arse. If Ruff isn't doing that then that is a big failing on Ruffs part.

There were several additional examples of him basically going through the motions. A pp with him and Gragnani cycling the puck at the blue line immediately comes to mind as well. Big shock that the puck was back in the Sabres end about 5 seconds later.

That 1st one you're talking about made me feel very bad for Gerbe, being stuck on a line w/ Stafford and Roy. The guy dug for the puck all over the zone and created some chances and had the Otters scrambling, but then 1 instance of non-effort made all of Gerbe's effort go for naught.

His play is extremely frustrating right now.

I would agree strongly with this.

I am extremely frustrated that no moves have been made nearly halfway into the season. There definitely appears to be a complacency when playing at home for most of the forwards. I would be fine with sending Stafford (&/or Roy) to Columbus for whatever they'd send back. You want to be complacent in 'hockey heaven,' OK, how does 'hockey purgatory' suit you?

I think I've found my new Smehlik.

(Q - What do you get when you take away 1/2 the heart and 1/2 the effort of a Gerbe? A - Stafford.

Q - What's the square root of Satan? A - Roy.)

I do think Stafford has the skill, but he seriously needs someone to kick him in the ass and keep kicking him, someone like a motivator or a coach, maybe Pegula should try to get one of them.

jokedrumf.gif

Just like a woman ready to get married.

Speaking of jokes, I was awarded my very own copy of Skyrim for Christmas. I know some are tired with that set-up, but, as a result of said gift I have a personal message to Drew: I understand, buddy, I understand.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I do think Stafford has the skill, but he seriously needs someone to kick him in the ass and keep kicking him, someone like a motivator or a coach, maybe Pegula should try to get one of them.

$4M should be enough motivation. For the real players, just the game itself is enough motivation.

$4M should be enough motivation. For the real players, just the game itself is enough motivation.

^This.

It may sound simplistic, but motivation is a personal choice. It's just not a coach's job to constantly have to motivate his players. That's not to say that coaches don't lose teams due to being tuned out, etc. That happens and maybe it's happening with Lindy. But a player's motivation MUST come from within or it won't come at all.

I think Prince Nonchalant simply doesn't care enough about being a hockey player. Let alone a good one. Oh, he may well bust a nut or two for a while for a new coach but players like him will usually revert to form.

It's a shame, too. Clearly talented, clearly capable. Clearly just doesn't give a crap.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

I think you have to separate motivation and morale. If your morale is down, your motivation may be lacking.

If you had Iginla and Doan in here the past 3 years, or someone at their physical, skill and leadership level....and a coach who valued physical play, I think Stafford has the tools to be a consistant 30ish goal scorer. It's like a preacher's hot daughter having to work the stripclub.......someone's going to have to show her how to do it because Daddy sure hasn't.