Stafford needs to go

Eleven

FWIW, I was reading ESPN Insider earlier today, and they had a post about Stafford and Roy in the Rumors section. Apparantly the Toronto Sun is reporting that the Sabres are willing to listen to offers about Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. Sabres are interested in in draft picks, and prospects in order to put them in a better "financial situation". (I would of posted the link, but I am unclear of the protocal in regards to posting links to paid websites on Sabrespace.)

It goes on to say that potential suitors would be teams looking to make a playoff push, and in need of an affordable top 6 forward. The Detroit Red Wings were listed specifically.

FWIW, I was reading ESPN Insider earlier today, and they had a post about Stafford and Roy in the Rumors section. Apparantly the Toronto Sun is reporting that the Sabres are willing to listen to offers about Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. Sabres are interested in in draft picks, and prospects in order to put them in a better "financial situation". (I would of posted the link, but I am unclear of the protocal in regards to posting links to paid websites on Sabrespace.)

It goes on to say that potential suitors would be teams looking to make a playoff push, and in need of an affordable top 6 forward. The Detroit Red Wings were listed specifically.

thanks for this. it very well could be addition by subtraction.

Please, please, please let this be true.

Not to mention freeing them up to bring in a real player...if they can figure out what that is.

the rumor, as i have heard it, is that the team is charting a course toward a salary cap violation (the NHL-inflicted injuries to the AHL guys seems to be at the root of the problem) -- so, the team may just be looking to unload salary, if that's the case.

If by putting them in a better financial situation means freeing up cap space, I guess this is somewhat believable. The loss of Stafford could easily be replaced. I am beating a dead horse in regards to this, but I don't know what they do at center for the remainder of this season if Roy is traded....

"no mas" Leino

Luke Adam who Lindy is using more at wing than center

Hecht who is injured again, but wasn't a center to begin with

Gaustad

McCormick

Edited by LabattBlue

thanks for this. it very well could be addition by subtraction.

I was thinking along the same lines. I do not advocate getting rid of a player, just for the sake of "shaking things up", but I would be interested to see what the Sabres would do with the additional cap space.

Not to mention freeing them up to bring in a real player...if they can figure out what that is.

Exactly, if they can unload the 2, then restock the farm, while obtaining a legit Center, I would be satisfied.

At the end of the day though, this is all rumor and speculation. I really hope there is some merit to this.

If by putting them in a better financial situation means freeing up cap space, I guess this is somewhat believable. The loss of Stafford could easily be replaced. I am beating a dead horse in regards to this, but I don't know what they do at center for the remainder of this season if Roy is traded....

"no mas" Leino

Luke Adam who Lindy is using more at wing than center

Hecht who is injured again, but wasn't a center to begin with

Gaustad

McCormick

Luke Adam is a mystery to me. The team seemed great when he was centering Vanek and Pominville. Seeing as how we totally suck now, why can't we put him back there and see how it works?

It's completely ridiculous that we have a 26 year old AHLer centering our two best players. (It also says something about how little faith Ruff has in Roy that he'll do anything to keep he and Vanek apart now.)

What do the Sabres do at center if they trade Roy? I don't care. I know we're never winning a Stanley Cup with floaters like Roy and Stafford on the roster. If we can clear them out and add to the new core (led by Myers, Kassian, etc.), that's a big win for our franchise.

What do the Sabres do at center if they trade Roy? I don't care. I know we're never winning a Stanley Cup with floaters like Roy and Stafford on the roster. If we can clear them out and add to the new core (led by Myers, Kassian, etc.), that's a big win for our franchise.

I just am throwing it out there that if the return for Stafford and Roy is prospects and picks, this team may miss the playoffs...especially if Miller continues to ###### the bed.

I am okay with it, I just don't know if Regier would do it, considering that a playoff miss might cost him his job.

Luke Adam is a mystery to me. The team seemed great when he was centering Vanek and Pominville. Seeing as how we totally suck now, why can't we put him back there and see how it works?

And he was clicking pretty well with Leino and Kassian (whether or not he was centering that line). There's something about that kid that is bringing out the best in players.

I am okay with it, I just don't know if Regier would do it, considering that a playoff miss might cost him his job.

Are you trying to say that if this team makes that move and misses the playoffs you won't say a negative thing about it because you are "ok with it"? Please...

Kassian making Staff expendable?

You bet he is. And Boyes was playing better than Stafford when he went down too. Add in what might be a career year for Pominville and Stafford is now legitimately a 4th liner for us.

One of the rumors I saw on Spectorshockey last night was that Columbus is looking to move Derick Brassard but want no or minimal salary coming back, really they want a prospect/pick. Brassard may not be the answer to our Cup dreams but he's a natural center. I'm starting to like the idea of moving Roy and Stafford out, promoting Kassian to the 2nd line, and giving up a pick to get Brassard. Two underachievers out the door, a new (hopefully motivated) player replacing them, and let's work on a bigger upgrade at the deadline.

Are you trying to say that if this team makes that move and misses the playoffs you won't say a negative thing about it because you are "ok with it"? Please...

There were a whole bunch of us advocating htat very thing last season, even after Pegula took over. Believe it.

Edited by weave

It's completely ridiculous that we have a 26 year old AHLer centering our two best players. (It also says something about how little faith Ruff has in Roy that he'll do anything to keep he and Vanek apart now.)

Thank You

When chewie first started on that line Pomminstein was almost joking about it in an interview saying how they did not get to see him at all because he was hurt in the preseason, and now chewie is centering their line. I think they got to know Adam. When a core player goes into a slump Ruff moves them up the lines to get them going. When Adam had a couple less than average games he was sent down to the third with Ville Leino and has never returned though playing well.

I just am throwing it out there that if the return for Stafford and Roy is prospects and picks, this team may miss the playoffs...especially if Miller continues to ###### the bed.

I think this team would make the playoffs. We're in right now with a bunch of guys who regularly take nights off. Eliminate that cancer from the team for some picks, maybe bring in another vet with good leadership presence and you've got a team with enough heart and talent combined to make things interesting.

I firmly believe in addition by subtraction.

You bet he is. And Boyes was playing better than Stafford when he went down too. Add in what might be a career year for Pominville and Stafford is now legitimately a 4th liner for us. One of the rumors I saw on Spectorshockey last night was that Columbus is looking to move Derick Brassard but want no or minimal salary coming back, really they want a prospect/pick. Brassard may not be the answer to our Cup dreams but he's a natural center. I'm starting to like the idea of moving Roy and Stafford out, promoting Kassian to the 2nd line, and giving up a pick to get Brassard. Two underachievers out the door, a new (hopefully motivated) player replacing them, and let's work on a bigger upgrade at the deadline. There were a whole bunch of us advocating htat very thing last season, even after Pegula took over. Believe it.

Roy is having 1 BAD SEASON. He's played well for us, including a PPG last season until the injury. Stafford is a different matter, he has underachieved more than achieved so I'd agree. But boy am I getting tired of fanbois lumping those two together like their twins.

Precisely.

Roy is having 1 BAD SEASON. He's played well for us, including a PPG last season until the injury. Stafford is a different matter, he has underachieved more than achieved so I'd agree. But boy am I getting tired of fanbois lumping those two together like their twins.

Precisely.

My observation isn't based on this season alone. Roy gets his points. I'm suure he'll get them this year too. But it's smoke and mirrors. He's consistently one fo the guys on this team that backs off when the game gets tough. Glides into loose pucks instead of going hard after them. He's prone to weak stick check attempts and lets off the gas in the D zone. He's not a guy who inlcudes hard work into his game and gets exposed when the opposing team is working their ass off. He's been playing that way for most of his career so this isn't a knee jerk reaction. I've had my fill of him.

• Like (+1) 1

If you dump Stafford for picks, who replaces him.

Boyes was playing better before his leg injury, I no doctor but its going to take a guy with that injury a long time to be back in game shape.

I know eveyone loves Kassian at this point, He has played great, but I have seen a player out there lost in thought more times than not lately.

I think We know what is in the farm system at this point.

I dislike Stafford as much as anyone else, but I think the Sabres are forced to hang on to him until boyes is completely back or Kass is a provin player

Either way Stafford should be here unless it is a player for player trade until feb.

As for Roy, Who else do we have at center? Can we trade him for two? No Way he Goes for futures.

There were a whole bunch of us advocating that very thing last season, even after Pegula took over. Believe it.

If there is one certainty in life it is that constant complainers will constantly complain. It is in their DNA. There is no way we move Stafford and/or Roy, have the Sabres miss the playoffs by 2 points and not have 2 more whipping boys step up to LB's plate.

When we won a ######-ton of games in 2006-2007 - do you know who the biggest complainer was around here? PA (shocking, I know). Why? We weren't winning "the right way"....

When the team gets blown out - people just want to be competitive.

When the team is competitive - people just want to win.

When the team wins - people just want to make the playoffs

When the team makes the playoffs - people just want to go deeper into the playoffs

etc...

It never stops for most people.

If there is one certainty in life it is that constant complainers will constantly complain. It is in their DNA. There is no way we move Stafford and/or Roy, have the Sabres miss the playoffs by 2 points and not have 2 more whipping boys step up to LB's plate.

When we won a ######-ton of games in 2006-2007 - do you know who the biggest complainer was around here? PA (shocking, I know). Why? We weren't winning "the right way"....

When the team gets blown out - people just want to be competitive.

When the team is competitive - people just want to win.

When the team wins - people just want to make the playoffs

When the team makes the playoffs - people just want to go deeper into the playoffs

etc...

It never stops for most people.

I see. So now you are lumping in LabattBlue (the guy you actually responded to) with the chronic complainers. Nice. :rolleyes: Maybe you should stick to moderating if you are going to start throwing that stuff around.

Jsut sayin'....