GDT: Sabres at Predators 12/3/11 8:00PM

spndnchz

Why are we even talking about which is better - league rules or frontier justice. Miller got run, and they despensed their own justice. What more do you want? Yes, they didn't do that against Boston, but get over it. They learned from it and changed. Really, what more do you want them to do?

I was glad to see the Sabres react immediately. Much improved over the Bruins debacle.

What I want is for the league to start consistently enforcing its rules.

I can't get behind the idea of the league over-legislating goalie protection. The crease is there for a reason. The goalie should be well protected while in the crease. Once he leaves that crease a goalie should be fair game, IMO.

I disagree completely that the goalies should be fair game outside the crease, but we can debate that till the cows come home.

What I want to see is whatever rule or standard they decide on, I want the league to make sure that everyone knows and understands it - what the rules/standards will be, how they will enforce it, and that everything is communicated to the teams, players, coaches, fans and media - and then I want it enforced consistently within the parameters they set.

I can't say I disagree with your "Shut up" comment. Although, it's just grandstanding, and most coaches would do the same thing.

Considering all that was said after the Lucic hit, Lindy should have refrained. It's not going to help the Sabres cause. Miller's and Gaustad's response will go light years further than any penalty the league can ######$ or any words Lindy can speak.

I can't get behind the idea of the league over-legislating goalie protection. The crease is there for a reason. The goalie should be well protected while in the crease. Once he leaves that crease a goalie should be fair game, IMO.

Alright, now, you can't expect everyone to agree with your feelings. The baseline for individual judgment is the rules.

On the one hand, you're right, the Sabres, mainly Lindy right now, shouldn't be in this position in the first place. If they all had their own sack, instead of sharing one collectively, perhaps Miller wouldn't have been run. Although, to be honest, we are talking about Lucic - who, on any team in the league, is going to make him think twice about running another team's goalie? The only guy I can think of off hand is on his team.

I don't buy the after-the-fact "rules confusion" excuse from the Sabres on the hit. Well, coming from Darcy, speaking for himself, I believe that.

None the less, the rules are in place. I'm sure we all agree Miller knows well the parameters and rules that govern what he can and will do. I doubt Miller makes that play if he thinks he'll get lit up - he knows it was Lucic coming down the ice.

So, now, with the way the league is fiddling with the game, and what happened in Boston, I DO think Lindy has a point. And I'm happy that he is sniveling about it publicly. Finally, some life from the guy. He's throwing the league's fiddling back into its face.

Alright, now, you can't expect everyone to agree with your feelings. The baseline for individual judgment is the rules.

On the one hand, you're right, the Sabres, mainly Lindy right now, shouldn't be in this position in the first place. If they all had their own sack, instead of sharing one collectively, perhaps Miller wouldn't have been run. Although, to be honest, we are talking about Lucic - who, on any team in the league, is going to make him think twice about running another team's goalie? The only guy I can think of off hand is on his team.

I don't buy the after-the-fact "rules confusion" excuse from the Sabres on the hit. Well, coming from Darcy, speaking for himself, I believe that.

None the less, the rules are in place. I'm sure we all agree Miller knows well the parameters and rules that govern what he can and will do. I doubt Miller makes that play if he thinks he'll get lit up - he knows it was Lucic coming down the ice.

So, now, with the way the league is fiddling with the game, and what happened in Boston, I DO think Lindy has a point. And I'm happy that he is sniveling about it publicly. Finally, some life from the guy.

This was a point of emphasis in a couple articles I read after the Lucic hit - that goalies have been coached and conditioned to believe that they are, essentially, untouchable anywhere on the ice. The rule seems to support that. Nothing about that excuses the Sabres' tepid response.

Game thoughts...

- Tootoo is a scumbag. He knew Miller was coming off a concussion, but still ran him! Expect a suspension. Nice to see the Sabres not taking any ###### when Nashville f***ed with Miller.

- Sabres with a win despite generating little offense.

- Kassian with a sweet goal!

- Miller with a pretty damn good effort coming off the layoff.

- Pretty lively crowd in Nashville. I'm normally not one to bitch about the quiet crowds at FNC, but tonight was noticeable compared to the crypt last night.

- Now if they can only find a way to win a game or two or three at home. :)

Any particular reason you insist on capitalizing every name in your posts? We can read just fine .....

I believe it's called "affectation."

Did you enjoy any part of tonight's game?

Nice.

Disagree. This isn't about the Sabres response. Again, IMO these are two separate issues - the Sabres response and play versus the league's inability to consistently enforce its own rules and properly discipline offenders. It's about calling out Shanny for his stupidity and ###### and the league for allowing it to escalate to this.

Well said.

When stars or goalies get run it's not due to a lack of respect for the rules. It's a lack of respect for the opposing team.

Nonsense. Guys like Tootoo (and there are plenty of them) take cheap shots when they are there to be taken regardless of who the opponent is.

And, I hope you're now clear that Miller is the best player on this team and why it would be foolish to trade him. When Myers returns it will quickly become clear, again, that he's #2. (I have no idea who you think is ahead of those 2, but I hope it's not Roy or Vanek.)

My 2 cents on the game:

1. Cheap shot by Tootoo. He ought to be suspended for at least 5 games, but I have no idea what to expect.

2. Good response by the Sabres to the cheap shot.

3. Ennis looked quite good. Hecht won 2 huge faceoffs in a row at the end in the Sabres' defensive zone. Otherwise, the "top 6" produced absolutely zero, AGAIN.

4. That was Kassian's best game so far. He can really use his body well to handle the puck along the boards in the offensive zone.

5. I think it's time to get Luker back up with Vanek and Pommer and drop Stafford and/or Roy to the 4th line or the press box.

6. McNabb had over 20 minutes of ice time. He looks like a keeper.

7. I don't want to hear the following for at least a few days: Trade Miller! Enroth is better! He's like Hasek! Miller sucks! He whines too much! He thinks he's so great with his Hollywood wife! Blah blah blah!

This team got its superstar back tonight, plus a dynamic offensive player also returned from injury. Ehrhoff, their top free agent pickup, is starting to hit his stride. Their young defense is getting better. They have 2 rookie forwards with size, skill and attitude. They're getting back Gerbe, who doesn't know the meaning of the words "quit" or "SGM", in a couple of days. And they'll get back Myers, their best non-goalie player, in about 3 weeks.

And the law of averages says that even their overrated and overpaid mediocrities on the top 6 will start to score again.

They learned a lesson against Boston the hard way, but I think they learned it.

Don't abandon ship just yet.

Erhoff has been playing well all season. Any perceived early shakiness was merely adjustment to the new system.

Wish his numbers would reflect it...

And, I hope you're now clear that Miller is the best player on this team and why it would be foolish to trade him. When Myers returns it will quickly become clear, again, that he's #2. (I have no idea who you think is ahead of those 2, but I hope it's not Roy or Vanek.)

Funny, but the thought occurred to me while watching Sekera charge the net a couple of times that they could use Myers for that very reason alone.

Otherwise, his D wasn't exceptional or anything while he was healthy. Let's hope he comes back as refreshed looking as Miller did.

I think it's time to get Luker back up with Vanek and Pommer and drop Stafford and/or Roy to the 4th line or the press box.

Agreed completely. Put Kassian with Roy and Stafford. Maybe they'll learn something from the Animal.

I don't want to hear the following for at least a few days: Trade Miller! Enroth is better! He's like Hasek! Miller sucks! He whines too much! He thinks he's so great with his Hollywood wife! Blah blah blah!

Personally, I'm okay with the tandem. Right now, especially, with the way they're playing, they need the Miller who showed up tonight. If they get that Miller most of the rest of the season, and the Enroth who was backing up Miller before the D quit on him, then I don't think you could ask for a more solid goal-tending pair. And, of course, a trade to break that up would be wholly unwise. There are a lot of ifs there, though, and a lot of hockey left to play.

But I had thought the cries to trade Miller had died down, especially after it was evident that Enroth can't carry the team, either. The cries for trades among the offense are completely valid and I expect to keep wishing for some, myself.

NFreeman speaks a lot of truth.

Miller is the Sabres best player.

Has been for five or six years.

Nice to see him play like it tonight.

The guys ragging on Miller or Sekera or Gragnani or Myers so far this season are missing the point.

The Sabres secondary problem lately has been injuries on the backline.

But their real problem all season has been the utter lack of production from the secondary scoring group of Roy Stafford Ennis Leino Boyes Hecht.

Yes, injuries have limited some, but that group is averaging 3 goals and 5 assists — or a full season pace of 10 goals and 24 points.

That's not what Pegs is paying them for.

I believe it's called "affectation."

Nice.

Well said.

Nonsense. Guys like Tootoo (and there are plenty of them) take cheap shots when they are there to be taken regardless of who the opponent is.

My 2 cents on the game:

1. Cheap shot by Tootoo. He ought to be suspended for at least 5 games, but I have no idea what to expect.

2. Good response by the Sabres to the cheap shot.

3. Ennis looked quite good. Hecht won 2 huge faceoffs in a row at the end in the Sabres' defensive zone. Otherwise, the "top 6" produced absolutely zero, AGAIN.

4. That was Kassian's best game so far. He can really use his body well to handle the puck along the boards in the offensive zone.

5. I think it's time to get Luker back up with Vanek and Pommer and drop Stafford and/or Roy to the 4th line or the press box.

6. McNabb had over 20 minutes of ice time. He looks like a keeper.

7. I don't want to hear the following for at least a few days: Trade Miller! Enroth is better! He's like Hasek! Miller sucks! He whines too much! He thinks he's so great with his Hollywood wife! Blah blah blah!

This team got its superstar back tonight, plus a dynamic offensive player also returned from injury. Ehrhoff, their top free agent pickup, is starting to hit his stride. Their young defense is getting better. They have 2 rookie forwards with size, skill and attitude. They're getting back Gerbe, who doesn't know the meaning of the words "quit" or "SGM", in a couple of days. And they'll get back Myers, their best non-goalie player, in about 3 weeks.

And the law of averages says that even their overrated and overpaid mediocrities on the top 6 will start to score again.

They learned a lesson against Boston the hard way, but I think they learned it.

Don't abandon ship just yet.

I didn't think you were the one who was capitalizing all the players' names.....so why do you feel compelled to respond for that poster ?

I didn't think you were the one who was capitalizing all the players' names.....so why do you feel compelled to respond for that poster ?

You know what was really awesome?

Back before they had big screen TV's and 3d and HD and LED and Ribbon Boards and all that jazz....there was a scoreboard in Memorial Auditorium, where the Sabres played up until the mid 1990's. Well, they did a funny thing with that scoreboard. Before every game, they would lower it to center ice, and some dude would get on a ladder, and then change the name of the visiting team. But the catch was, the nameplate that had the name of the visiting team was in all capital letters. So we would be playing BRUINS, or WHALERS. But the funniest thing is when we played a team with a lot of letters in their name. They would have to squish all those capital letters next to each other on the same size plate as BRUINS. So when we played Montreal....instead of saying Montreal, or MONTREAL, or Canadiens....it would say.... CANADIENS .

So...now you know.

You know what was really awesome?

Back before they had big screen TV's and 3d and HD and LED and Ribbon Boards and all that jazz....there was a scoreboard in Memorial Auditorium, where the Sabres played up until the mid 1990's. Well, they did a funny thing with that scoreboard. Before every game, they would lower it to center ice, and some dude would get on a ladder, and then change the name of the visiting team. But the catch was, the nameplate that had the name of the visiting team was in all capital letters. So we would be playing BRUINS, or WHALERS. But the funniest thing is when we played a team with a lot of letters in their name. They would have to squish all those capital letters next to each other on the same size plate as BRUINS. So when we played Montreal....instead of saying Montreal, or MONTREAL, or Canadiens....it would say.... CANADIENS .

So...now you know.

Silly me - how could I have forgotten ? Thanks so much for the reminder.

Any particular reason you insist on capitalizing every name in your posts? We can read just fine .....

Any particular reason why you come and post on the board once a month and then question a regular contributor GDT poster about how he formats his post ? Got nothing to share about the game ?

Because I have always found it a bit annoying.

Anyone else unnerved by the sudden redecoration? It's like the ground has shifted beneath my feet. I don't know what to believe in anymore.

Because I have always found it a bit annoying.

Anyone else unnerved by the sudden redecoration? It's like the ground has shifted beneath my feet. I don't know what to believe in anymore.

It is a big change... Hopefully, everyone will settle in and I can polish some of the rough edges.

Archived