A Fan's Guide to Trade Scenarios

SDS

This won't apply to everyone, but it should cover about 95% of all fans.

Rules for contemplating a trade scenario:

1. Don't. It's just best to keep it in your head and let the inner voices battle it out, but if you can't help yourself keep reading...

2. If your reaction to any trade is, "I'd do that in a second!" - the trade is one-sided garbage and not worthy of wasting time discussing it.

3. If any trade involves getting rid of all the players you don't like for another team's superstar - the trade is one-sided garbage and not worthy of wasting time discussing it.

4. If you insist on suggesting a trade - keep adding to your offer until you decide that is too much to pay. THAT is your STARTING POINT for suggesting anything reasonable.

Any questions?

Rules for contemplating a trade scenario:

1. Don't. It's just best to keep it in your head and let the inner voices battle it out, but if you can't help yourself keep reading...

Any questions?

No questions, but a comment: Rule 1 is sort of an odd edict for the proprietor of a hockey message board. Maybe there's more tongue in cheek than I am getting off of it. And I get that you want to improve the quality of the content here and am well aware that you've been at this a while and know better than me on how to nurture a community that will generate traffic, but, still -- saying that 95% of the fans just shouldn't contemplate/post about trade scenarios seems to work against your and the community's interests. It's a message board. About hockey. If content subject matter on such boards were presented as a pie chart, trade scenarios would get shown as a decent slice.

No questions, but a comment: Rule 1 is sort of an odd edict for the proprietor of a hockey message board. Maybe there's more tongue in cheek than I am getting off of it. And I get that you want to improve the quality of the content here and am well aware that you've been at this a while and know better than me on how to nurture a community that will generate traffic, but, still -- saying that 95% of the fans just shouldn't contemplate/post about trade scenarios seems to work against your and the community's interests. It's a message board. About hockey. If content subject matter on such boards were presented as a pie chart, trade scenarios would get shown as a decent slice.

From a personal preference point of view, I think trade scenario talk is like communism - great in theory, but horrible in execution. It comes from two things:

1. Fans over value their own assets by some ginormous percentage (see rule #4)

2. Irrational fans are like moths to a flame to trade scenarios, thus making the bulk of the suggestions (see rule #2 and #3)

However, when done right it can certainly make for good conversation. I only see that happen about 5% of the time though... This is just my opinion.

Turkey Tetrazzini again...

I thought I had a nice mix of humor, disgust, and solid advice in there. :(

Yes sir ya did.

I think the board is a good place to hash out trade proposals. Many people have differing opinions on players and what they may mean to a different club or to ours. Just don't try to hang on to something that the majority of posters are saying is unrealistic.

From a personal preference point of view, I think trade scenario talk is like communism - great in theory, but horrible in execution. It comes from two things:

1. Fans over value their own assets by some ginormous percentage (see rule #4)

2. Irrational fans are like moths to a flame to trade scenarios (see rule #2 and #3)

However, when done right it can certainly make for good conversation. I only see that happen about 5% of the time though... This is just my opinion.

But seriously is yellowsnow banned?

#5. If reading something that says "Eklund" (or any other so-called rumor site) and thinking about reguritating it here, immediately go run in traffic, whizz on an electrified fence, do a handstand right at the border on the Peace Bridge guard railing, break your computer, and THEN come back here and reguritate it.

Fixed for clarification purposes. You left out a few steps.

From a personal preference point of view ... This is just my opinion.

gotcha.

I think the board is a good place to hash out trade proposals. Many people have differing opinions on players and what they may mean to a different club or to ours. Just don't try to hang on to something that the majority of posters are saying is unrealistic.

:thumbsup:

Yes sir ya did.

I don't claim to know everything about player values, but I like hearing what the board's take on a certain proposal from an article is. Helps to get a sense as to what the right price is for players around the league.

Just have to remember that this isn't fantasy sports and you can't always make sell high/buy low trades for other teams top talents.

Who cares. Let people discuss what they want to discuss. How bout this one for ya-- if someone posts a trade that is so ridiculous it's not worthy of commenting on, DONT RESPOND TO IT.

This post was as near guaranteed as anything I have considered wagering on in my 40 plus years of chasing the dream.

It's his site, how about if you don't like the rules you change the channel?

Boyes is out for quite a while, and stafford has been playing terrible.

this is a joke you have made, yes?

Sekera for Montador

nice.

Who cares. Let people discuss what they want to discuss. How bout this one for ya-- if someone posts a trade that is so ridiculous it's not worthy of commenting on, DONT RESPOND TO IT.

This post was as near guaranteed as anything I have considered wagering on in my 40 plus years of chasing the dream.

It's his site, how about if you don't like the rules you change the channel?

third man in: i read (well, eventually understood) scott as carefully stating a personal preference and opinion -- not laying out a rule or administrative policy.

this is a joke you have made, yes?

nice.

third man in: i read (well, eventually understood) scott as carefully stating a personal preference and opinion -- not laying out a rule or administrative policy.

[/quote

But doesn't the preference of the "man of the house"(sorry for the sexist connotation) eventually become the rule unless revenue stream is the prime motivator at which point he wouldn't bother publishing his preferences anyway?

Archived