A Fan's Guide to Trade Scenarios

SDS

Just throwing it out there but Roy and MAG for Spezza. Not sure if Ottawa would go for it.

Please explain why you think Spezza brings anything this team is lacking?

If I'm the Otter management, I'm all over that one because I get essentially the same forward and a potenially useful defenseman.

If I'm the Otter management, I'm all over that one because I get essentially the same forward and a potenially useful defenseman.

I disagree. I'd take Spezza over Roy. I'm pretty sure the proposal the Sabres gave for Spezza last year included more value-wise than Roy and MAG.

No questions, but a comment: Rule 1 is sort of an odd edict for the proprietor of a hockey message board. Maybe there's more tongue in cheek than I am getting off of it. And I get that you want to improve the quality of the content here and am well aware that you've been at this a while and know better than me on how to nurture a community that will generate traffic, but, still -- saying that 95% of the fans just shouldn't contemplate/post about trade scenarios seems to work against your and the community's interests. It's a message board. About hockey. If content subject matter on such boards were presented as a pie chart, trade scenarios would get shown as a decent slice.

You complete me.
i will meet meet you at the flying bison stand on the 100 concourse for a big manly hug on saturday december 10.
I thought it was the 200 level of the Perry Street stairwell with Padron, a consent form, and cotton candy.
Wanna make it a 5-some?
Can I watch?
Dude....it's like a bunch of seagulls in the McDonald's parking lot and Chz is the frenchfry.

this bit of innuendo was all bro-mance, at least far as i could tell.

but maybe my weak math skills prevented me from getting the obligatory homage to chz's avatar.

Good point. The idea of going after Spezza really doesn't mesh too well with his earlier posts about Pominville.

this bit of innuendo was all bro-mance, at least far as i could tell.

but maybe my weak math skills prevented me from getting the obligatory homage to chz's avatar.

You must have missed godd's proposal to Chz in the other thread.

And why is it that almost every time I quote your post, I get an error message saying the number of opening quote tags doesn't match the closing? It throws in an extra

after the name quote bar. It NEVER happens with any other poster. Does anyone else have this issue?

Good point. The idea of going after Spezza really doesn't mesh too well with his earlier posts about Pominville.

Very true.

I don't think Spezza looks like the same player he did three years ago. Maybe its a function of the players around him, but I don't see him as the cure for Buffalo's ills. If I had the choice between Spezza and Richards, I choose Richards all day, every day.

And why is it that almost every time I quote your post, I get an error message saying the number of opening quote tags doesn't match the closing? It throws in an extra quote after the name quote bar. It NEVER happens with any other poster. Does anyone else have this issue?

It happens when u quote a multiquoted post.

And why is it that almost every time I quote your post, I get an error message saying the number of opening quote tags doesn't match the closing? It throws in an extra after the name quote bar. It NEVER happens with any other poster. Does anyone else have this issue?

I always do with his posts. Always thought I was doing something stupid (better to let people think it than open ur mouth and remove all doubt kind of feeling). makes me feel slightly better I guess.

EDIT: saw CHZ's post. makes sense as most of his that I quote are multiquote posts... :oops:

korab said You must have missed godd's proposal to Chz in the other thread.

And why is it that almost every time I quote your post, I get an error message saying the number of opening quote tags doesn't match the closing? It throws in an extra

after the name quote bar. It NEVER happens with any other poster. Does anyone else have this issue?

ahhh, gotcha. i do seem to recall that now.

yeah. i'd prefer to keep this get-together to shared rusty chains (the beer) and bro-hugs.

do my mad message board code skillz cause the problem? B-)

EDIT: i just had the same issue, for the first time. my code all looked right. :unsure:

I disagree. I'd take Spezza over Roy. I'm pretty sure the proposal the Sabres gave for Spezza last year included more value-wise than Roy and MAG.

Spezza is due $8 mil this year and next year (with two additional years at a total of $9 mil). That is twice as much as Roy is making this year and next. I am not a Roy apologist by any means, even I recognize Spezza is not twice the player Roy is. You may get more goal scoring and points from Spezza, just not $4 mil worth.

If the Sens are going to trade anyone it will be Milan Michalek. He is off to a start of what can be a career year for him. He is priced at $4.5 this year, $4.75 next year and $6 mil the year after. I can see the Sens putting Michalek out there to add more pieces to their rebuilding puzzle. I am just tossing this out there. I am not advocating that the Sabres get involved with this trade scenario.

Not multi-quote, just quotes within quotes. I multi-quote all the time and never have an issue. The only problem I ever have it with Smell's posts - I have no idea why. I quoted his post in this one, but it gave me the same error message even though the quotes and unquotes looked fine. I had to delete his post out of mine to get it to post.

I don't even know how to do the quote within the quote. It happened once by accident, but I have no idea why. I am such a crappy poster... :bag:

(but my quoting inadequacies have nothing to do with that)

korab said You must have missed godd's proposal to Chz in the other thread.

And why is it that almost every time I quote your post, I get an error message saying the number of opening quote tags doesn't match the closing? It throws in an extra [ quote ] after the name quote bar. It NEVER happens with any other poster. Does anyone else have this issue?

ahhh, gotcha. i do seem to recall that now.

yeah. i'd prefer to keep this get-together to shared rusty chains (the beer) and bro-hugs.

do my mad message board code skillz cause the problem? B-)

EDIT: i just had the same issue, for the first time. my code all looked right. :unsure:

I didn't work right because korab has the quote code in his post

Not multi-quote, just quotes within quotes. I multi-quote all the time and never have an issue. The only problem I ever have it with Smell's posts - I have no idea why. I quoted his post in this one, but it gave me the same error message even though the quotes and unquotes looked fine. I had to delete his post out of mine to get it to post.

I don't even know how to do the quote within the quote. It happened once by accident, but I have no idea why. I am such a crappy poster... :bag:

(but my quoting inadequacies have nothing to do with that)

It just has to do with having the correct number of quote, one at the beginning, one at the end. They all need to be in pairs.

Overheard earlier this year:

Fan #1: "Hey we should send Byron, Butler, and a check from Uncle Terry to Calgary for Regehr."

Fan #2: "I'd do that in a second! - therefore the trade is one-sided garbage, and not worthy of me wasting time discussing it."

:doh:

Fan #1: "Hey we should send Byron, Butler, and a check from Uncle Terry to Calgary for Regehr."

Fan #2: "I'd do that in a second! - therefore the trade is one-sided garbage, and not worthy of me wasting time discussing it."

not that I need to defend Scott, but he did start off with:

This won't apply to everyone, but it should cover about 95% of all fans.

either way, there have been some moves thought up on this board that have ended up happening in the past, and as someone else said, (lightly using the word) majority of this board is in the 5%.

Personally I don't like to propose trades, but I do like reading what other people's thoughts are, even as outlandish as some can be.

not that I need to defend Scott, but he did start off with:

This won't apply to everyone, but it should cover about 95% of all fans.

either way, there have been some moves thought up on this board that have ended up happening in the past, and as someone else said, (lightly using the word) majority of this board is in the 5%.

Personally I don't like to propose trades, but I do like reading what other people's thoughts are, even as outlandish as some can be.

It was pretty exciting times when the Bobby Ryan trade talks were going on. That would have been a nice way to shake up the core, get bigger and talented all in one fell swoop. Sadly they decided to trade coaches instead of players...

I don't think anyone was too outrageous with those trade proposals. The consensus seemed to be a Stafford/Ennis/D prospect package which was reasonable.

It was pretty exciting times when the Bobby Ryan trade talks were going on. That would have been a nice way to shake up the core, get bigger and talented all in one fell swoop. Sadly they decided to trade coaches instead of players...

I don't think anyone was too outrageous with those trade proposals. The consensus seemed to be a Stafford/Ennis/D prospect package which was reasonable.

I agree. My outlandish comment stems from this summer where everyone was using NHL12/11 trades that they did to propose on here. The ones for Stamkos or Malkin specifically. Would it be awesome to see either in a Sabres uniform? h3ll yeah! but that just wasn't happening.

Zing !!!

I assume the "check" you are referring to means taking Kotalik off Calgary's hands.

Is your point to say that occasionally teams get fleeced (remains to be seen in this case), so therefore any and all trade proposals where the Sabres fleece the other team is worthwhile discussion? :unsure:

What I wrote is just common sense (save the joke I tried to make in #1). Occasionally an exception occurs that proves the rule. I think assuming both sides of any trade proposal get fair value isn't so outrageous of a suggestion.

Is your point to say that occasionally teams get fleeced (remains to be seen in this case), so therefore any and all trade proposals where the Sabres fleece the other team is worthwhile discussion? :unsure:

What I wrote is just common sense (save the joke I tried to make in #1). Occasionally an exception occurs that proves the rule. I think assuming both sides of any trade proposal get fair value isn't so outrageous of a suggestion.

as we say in my line of work, the exception doesn't swallow the rule.

I assume the "check" you are referring to means taking Kotalik off Calgary's hands.

I feel your pain regarding the ridiculous trades that get proposed so I don't mean my devil's advocate point to be argumentative. I'm just saying there is much going on with these deals the fans arent always privvy to it doesn't always need to be an equal swap of talent and/or potential to be within the realm of reason.

Archived