Fight Night 11/29/11 Islanders at Sabres

Weave

Win, Lose, Draw  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Martin at Zack Kassian

• Win Kassian
    • Win MArtin
    • Draw

Ok Chris, here it is a little early. Just for you !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC1ZLG0rfP0

Gerbe gets drilled with a big hit along the boards and Kassian goes looking for someone to pay for it. Kassian grabs Martin and drags him to center ice. They drop and throw a flurry like I haven't seen since the Days of Raytm. Both guys head down and just throwing jackhammer style. No defence needed. They take a quick breather and get back at it again. Near the end Kassian slowed up and ducked and looked to throw a bomb but didn;t get one in. Kassians' sweater comes off and Martin covers up and bails on the fight. Entertaining bout. I call it dead even. Good maiden voyage for Kass. Way to pop the cherry. And it was a good opponent to pick, tough guy but not a monster.

And for those of you not in the know, Kassian has fought Martin before in the OHL. Wasn't much of a fight. Looked like Martin might have gotten the better of their first go (not by much), but Martin was in his last year as a junior and Kassian wasn't even drafted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixkPRsYE478

The boxscore on nhl.com currently says that Kassian did NOT receive any additional time in the box for his jersey getting unstrapped. What happened?

On the Islander feed they showed Martin in the box and you could hear him asking the ref if he had a tiedown. The ref said it broke.

When the other guy surrenders, how the hell is it a draw? I don't always vote for the Sabre, but c'mon, the "no mas" gesture means nothing?!

EDIT: Oh, and I love the fact that Kassian looks like Ogie Ogilthorpe.

(Weave, please resist the temptation to revert to your Ogie avatar, which was objectionable only because of the colors, and still is for the same "Phuck FIlly" reason.)

When the other guy surrenders, how the hell is it a draw? I don't always vote for the Sabre, but c'mon, the "no mas" gesture means nothing?!

EDIT: Oh, and I love the fact that Kassian looks like Ogie Ogilthorpe.

(Weave, please resist the temptation to revert to your Ogie avatar, which was objectionable only because of the colors, and still is for the same "Phuck FIlly" reason.)

If you gots photochop skillz you can put a Sabres sweater on him for me.

Just sayin'....

I see it as some others have here. I cannot give a "DRAW" when the opponent covers his face like that. I don't care if you lose your "handle" on the opponent or not ... you don't cover your precious face and hope for referee intervention.

Yep.

I'm thinkin the 'no mas' wasn't becuase he was hurt but because he was now at a distinct disadvantage and kind of tapped out. Fighting an opponent with no jersey or padding to grab is hockey fight suicide. Thats what gave Rob Ray a huge advantage in his day and brought about the tie down rule.

Even if it was a draw, it really does not matter, cause the point is, at least Zac showed up, and stuck up for Gerbe, a teammate. When was the last time that happened around here? Please bring up Finley which would only toughen this team even more, With McNab throwing big checks, we may be going in the right direction, as long as Lindy doesn't make them all into wimps.

That was what I wanted to see. A Sabre coming in to say HELL NO LETS GET IT ON! This is how it should have been done with Boston! Ray even stated he went into boards with his eyes bugged out looking to go and grabbed Martin took him to the center and took care of business. I would call it a draw but no way. Martin called it over with the ref when Kassian was still ready to go. When another player calls it then he's done. No way a draw just on that default. The point was made very loud and clear instantly and if Ruff sends him back down it will be a shame as this is EXACTLY what the Sabres need. An enforcer who will not blink or think to drop the gloves. Zack if you read this, WAY TO GO BUDDY AND WAY TO SHOW HOW THE SABRES HAVE A SET ON THEM!!!!

I would say the fight is probably a draw, though it's likely Kass came away hurting a bit more. Some of Kassian's punches were erratic and way off mark, and to make it worse, Martin never lost his helmet -- I bet Zack's knuckles aren't feeling too good today. Either way it was a heck of a fight, and great to see Kassian stand up for Gerbe and fare well in his first NHL bout. I was already excited about him based on all the hear-say, but now that I've gotten to see him play (and fight) first hand, I'm even more excited for his future!

Archived