Boudreau fired/hired

Cereal

Well, of the coaches who've won Cups since the lockout, I don't think Babcock, Julien, Quenneville or Laviolette would qualify as "medium rare" guys. Those are guys who grill their steak the way they like it, not the way the players like it.

Perhaps a great coach is one who gets chuck steak from his shopper but is still able to make it taste like sirloin. Maybe it's not fair to expect him to get it all the way to ribeye.

And we're back on the checks and balances circlejerk of Sabres appologists.

Ruff is great...players aren't there

Darcy is great...he was hancuffed

Players are great...injuries cost them

Ownership is great...they want to win cups not make money

The Sabres are at the top of the league in salary cap dollars and cash spent this year. The players have been given first class surroundings, added training tools and additional coaches. I say ownership is fine.

The Sabres named 5 captains, all of whom were original Sabres for the better part of a decade, and along with Miller comprise 50% of the salary cap. If Darcy was hancuffed, why is he and/or Lindy banking on the same group he was "forced to live with"?

The exact same problems of inconsistant effort, soft play, and folding when challenged, have reared their ugly head this year once again, open wallet be damned.

Something has to give....

The ownership has changed.

You can't continue to defend GM/Coach/Players....all at the same time. Make a break in the link and see who stands. Every year that goes by without changing AT LEAST 1 of 3 is another wasted year and why Team Stormcloud have been banging their collective head against the wall.

Make a F'n decision and let's go.

The inconsistency is mind-boggling, no question. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a bunch of new players trying to get acclimated. I am interested to see how this team is playing in January and February. I also cannot imagine no trades being made by the deadline date for a host of reasons. Should be a fun and interesting ride.

I know I've said some things in haste on here in the past, even when they were hockey-related. Plus, it can be difficult to keep emotions in check when faced with the fact that every team has its ups and down - even the ones that are serious contenders. Having said that, I have to remember that this team is not the NHL's version of the Indianapolis Colts this season. It is November and, IIRC, they've had some questionable Novembers over the past few seasons. I could be wrong, but this tends to be the month where the wheels tend to come off a bit, only to get them screwed back on in either December or January. Plus, I know that some people don't buy the injury excuse. There are a number of factors involved, but I'd like to do what I can to stay away from speculating and let the game play speak for itself.

The Sabres are at the top of the league in salary cap dollars and cash spent this year. The players have been given first class surroundings, added training tools and additional coaches. I say ownership is fine.

The Sabres named 5 captains, all of whom were original Sabres for the better part of a decade, and along with Miller comprise 50% of the salary cap. If Darcy was hancuffed, why is he and/or Lindy banking on the same group he was "forced to live with"?

The exact same problems of inconsistant effort, soft play, and folding when challenged, have reared their ugly head this year once again, open wallet be damned.

You can't continue to defend GM/Coach/Players....all at the same time. Make a break in the link and see who stands. Every year that goes by without changing AT LEAST 1 of 3 is another wasted year and why Team Stormcloud have been banging their collective head against the wall.

So, for those of us who believe that certain of the players are the problem, what's the solution? Maybe the rest of the league sees that they're not so great, too. Maybe it takes more than a few months to significantly change a roster. They made progress in the right direction in the offseason and hopefully will find a deal or two sufficiently in advance of the deadline. But I don't think Ellis-for-Ryan is in the works.

So, for those of us who believe that certain of the players are the problem, what's the solution? Maybe the rest of the league sees that they're not so great, too. Maybe it takes more than a few months to significantly change a roster. They made progress in the right direction in the offseason and hopefully will find a deal or two sufficiently in advance of the deadline. But I don't think Ellis-for-Ryan is in the works.

What if we throw in a second?

Holy straw man batman!

I'm not defending the players. Just the opposite -- I've been a pretty consistent critic of the core forward group. And DR is on thin ice in my view.

Having said that, changing 1 of the 3 components every year is a pretty silly approach.

Here are the facts.

Lindy names 5 guys captains who have been here for the better part of the decade and are all Darcy picks. Along with Miller that makes for 50% of the salary cap.

Ehrhoff and Lieno were signed to big money deals

Sekera was resigned to good money

You are now up to 2/3 of the cap with Lindy/Darcy seal of approval THIS YEAR

Regehr and Boyes were traded for and Leopold signed within a year

Myers, Gragnani, Weber, Kaleta, Gerbe, Ennis, Enroth, Adam are all Darcy draft picks under NO constraints

Hecht has always been a Lindy favorite

Ellis and McCormick are filler

Now....if the players are the problem....Who is responsible for bringing in all these players? Who was allowed to spend over the cap and throw an extra $25 million in upfront money at guys? Who put together this team and why is he still here?

Who blesses Darcy's roster by giving C's and A's to guys who have engineered this train of mediocrity for the majority of the 21st century? Who blesses a soft roster by sitting a guy like Weber and watches his team fold while his "elite" goalie gets ambushed?

It just doesn't fly anymore....and to logical, hockeyminded people that are able to call the bluff on Darcy's spreadsheet reports....it's maddening. There is NO excuse for BOTH Regier and Ruff to be employed in Buffalo at this point. This is one more year that the tandem is in control together, and in my opinion, wasted. Darcy should have been gone at the very least and this year and possibly next could have been Ruff's time to prove his salt.

If the rest of this league sees the players as the problem, then I am sure Darcy is viewed in the same light. I don't argue against Ruff finding another coaching job in quick fashion, but something tells me Darcy would be out of work for quite a while unless he pulls a Jauron and takes the DB coach gig somewhere.

The Sabres will probably get it together....and finish in 5th or 6th....and get bounced in the 1st round...and we can do this all over again next year.

Holy straw man batman!

I'm not defending the players. Just the opposite -- I've been a pretty consistent critic of the core forward group. And DR is on thin ice in my view.

Having said that, changing 1 of the 3 components every year is a pretty silly approach.

I would have changed all 3 myself....years ago.

That's the problem...by defending any of the 3 at this point you are defending all 3 by default. The culture is such groupthink and intertwined that it is impossible to change anything with a TRUE chance unless you change it all. You can't begin to move forward unless you change SOMETHING to know where the weak link is for sure.

Here are the facts.

Lindy names 5 guys captains who have been here for the better part of the decade and are all Darcy picks. Along with Miller that makes for 50% of the salary cap.

Myers, Gragnani, Weber, Kaleta, Gerbe, Ennis, Enroth, Adam are all Darcy draft picks under NO constraints

Now....if the players are the problem....Who is responsible for bringing in all these players? Who was allowed to spend over the cap and throw an extra $25 million in upfront money at guys? Who put together this team and why is he still here?

Who blesses Darcy's roster by giving C's and A's to guys who have engineered this train of mediocrity for the majority of the 21st century? Who blesses a soft roster by sitting a guy like Weber and watches his team fold while his "elite" goalie gets ambushed?

It just doesn't fly anymore....and to logical, hockeyminded people that are able to call the bluff on Darcy's spreadsheet reports....it's maddening. There is NO excuse for BOTH Regier and Ruff to be employed in Buffalo at this point. This is one more year that the tandem is in control together, and in my opinion, wasted. Darcy should have been gone at the very least and this year and possibly next could have been Ruff's time to prove his salt.

If the rest of this league sees the players as the problem, then I am sure Darcy is viewed in the same light. I don't argue against Ruff finding another coaching job in quick fashion, but something tells me Darcy would be out of work for quite a while unless he pulls a Jauron and takes the DB coach gig somewhere.

The Sabres will probably get it together....and finish in 5th or 6th....and get bounced in the 1st round...and we can do this all over again next year.

BAM!!!!!!! :)

I may disagree with your outlook on the team a vast majority of the time, but boy can you hit the nail on the head.

Glad you're back ghost, and great F'n post.

Here are the facts.

Bang on!!

As usual.

6 consecutive playoff appearances. 1st in the Southeast 4 years in a row. Expectations must have been high with OV on board. Or the owner just wanted something different/gave up.

Eh?

Boudreau came on during the 2007-08 season, the first of four SE Division titles, but only made the playoffs those four years as well. Before '07 they hadn't been to the playoffs in awhile.

They won two playoff series out of six over that span.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Capitals_seasons#Year_by_year

Eh?

Boudreau came on during the 2007-08 season, the first of four SE Division titles, but only made the playoffs those four years as well. Before '07 they hadn't been to the playoffs in awhile.

They won two playoff series out of six over that span.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia....ns#Year_by_year

Sorry, meant 6 playoff series.

this thread has been like listening to a 45-minute Grateful Dead jam. It starts out talking about Boudreau getting fired, turns into nearly three pages of Lindy sucks-no-he-doesn't back-amnd forth and finally comes back to Boudreau.

10 coaches who have won the Cup since Lindy was hired had been hired after Ruff was hired.

7 of those coaches had been FIRED from a previous job, then went on to win the Cup with a different team....all during Ruff's tenure.

5 coaches 6 coaches were FIRED AFTER winning the Cup since Ruff was hired.

Then there was Scotty Bowman.

But WHO WOULD YOU EVER BRING IN HERE TO REPLACE RUFF?

Here are the facts.

We can all recognize the short comings of Regier and Ruff. The bigger problem is that the shiny new owner is too much of a fanboy to make the tough decisions. The person to make any of the needed changes happen is Ted Black. Black has to be willing and able to convince Pegula that the moves need to be made.

Sadly it appears at this point the Sabres are doomed to continue on their current path to nowhere.

Archived