Boudreau fired/hired

Cereal

We can all recognize the short comings of Regier and Ruff. The bigger problem is that the shiny new owner is too much of a fanboy to make the tough decisions. The person to make any of the needed changes happen is Ted Black. Black has to be willing and able to convince Pegula that the moves need to be made.

Sadly it appears at this point the Sabres are doomed to continue on their current path to nowhere.

So. You like the Boudtreau firing and hiring?

Seriously, if this is important to you why not dedicate a thread?

So. You like the Boudtreau firing and hiring?

Seriously, if this is important to you why not dedicate a thread?

I do.

Coaches come and go (well, at least, everywhere else). The Devils won three Cups with three different coaches. I know they had Brodeur, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer, and maybe they could have won three with the same coach, but sometimes you have to wake up the team. I think the mixing and matching of personalities until it's just right is also what helps teams win.

I do.

Coaches come and go (well, at least, everywhere else). The Devils won three Cups with three different coaches. I know they had Brodeur, Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer, and maybe they could have won three with the same coach, but sometimes you have to wake up the team. I think the mixing and matching of personalities until it's just right is also what helps teams win.

With the devils the head coach was always a bit of a misnomer - all were caretakers in Uncle Lou's system.

More appropriately the guy in charge of line changes.

As for Bouedreau - he really never asked the Caps to backcheck until his third year.

Makes me wonder if they will for Kirk muLluer.

With the devils the head coach was always a bit of a misnomer - all were caretakers in Uncle Lou's system.

More appropriately the guy in charge of line changes.

As for Bouedreau - he really never asked the Caps to backcheck until his third year.

Makes me wonder if they will for Kirk muLluer.

Dale Hunter. ;)

I wouldn't say that players are quitting on Ruff(like Ovi did to Boudreau), but I do look at inconsistent play(1 good game, 5 so-so games without any repercussions) when I say that players may be tuning him out.

Great point.....Very inconsistent play. I think Ruff is a good coach. If there is one thing Buffalo needs is consistancy. If Lindy won at least one stanley cup we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Great point.....Very inconsistent play. I think Ruff is a good coach. If there is one thing Buffalo needs is consistancy. If Lindy won at least one stanley cup we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But we haven't won the Cup.... If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Depends on how far back he'd won it. If '99 worked out a little differently, it wouldn't alter the tenor of the discussion significantly. If the Sabres were the defending SC champs this year, yeah, he'd have far fewer detractors.

6 Coaches have now been hired AFTER Ruff was hired.....went on to win the Stanley Cup on that team....and were then FIRED!

Ruff hasn't won a playoff series in 4 years.

I will still contend, Ruff's success came in 2 spurts. One, after inheiriting Ted Nolan's team...the team he won the division with, the Jack Adams with, and a playoff series with Steve Shields as his goalie, then Ruff was able to add guys like Warrener, Barnes, Sanderson and Juneau at the trade deadline because the team had looser pursestrings after a final ownership change....and had a healthy and content Hasek in net.

His next 2 year success was after the league made sweeping rules changes to benefit skilled, soft players, who Buffalo had built their team around.

Those are 2 black swans.....having possibly the best Goalie in the history of the game and ownership on your side with the residue of a hardworking team in one stint.....and the biggest set of rules changes and enforcement in the 100+ year history of the NHL in the second stint.

Lindy might just be the Trent Dilfer of coaches....and even HE has a ring.

6 Coaches have now been hired AFTER Ruff was hired.....went on to win the Stanley Cup on that team....and were then FIRED!

Ruff hasn't won a playoff series in 4 years.

I will still contend, Ruff's success came in 2 spurts. One, after inheiriting Ted Nolan's team...the team he won the division with, the Jack Adams with, and a playoff series with Steve Shields as his goalie, then Ruff was able to add guys like Warrener, Barnes, Sanderson and Juneau at the trade deadline because the team had looser pursestrings after a final ownership change....and had a healthy and content Hasek in net.

His next 2 year success was after the league made sweeping rules changes to benefit skilled, soft players, who Buffalo had built their team around.

Those are 2 black swans.....having possibly the best Goalie in the history of the game and ownership on your side with the residue of a hardworking team in one stint.....and the biggest set of rules changes and enforcement in the 100+ year history of the NHL in the second stint.

Lindy might just be the Trent Dilfer of coaches....and even HE has a ring.

I agree with all of this...I was not happy when Pegs declared his love for R&R at his first PC, and as it stands today, I still believe the Sabres have tuned out Lindy, and Regier's biggest off-season move has been a major bust.

Hey Pegs, you still whistling dixie about these two?

I agree with all of this...I was not happy when Pegs declared his love for R&R at his first PC, and as it stands today, I still believe the Sabres have tuned out Lindy, and Regier's biggest off-season move has been a major bust.

The problem is, if he makes a change so soon after glowing about these guys....it will be a blow to his pride. His fandom may not allow it. The only thing that may have gotten to him is that Boston game. Guys who have had success and can do whatever they want in life hate one thing.....and that is being made a fool of. Make no mistake, the Sabres were a laughingstock after that game and it will not be easily forgotten by the hockey world. We can only hope Pegula was embarassed by it and starting asking himself more questions about what is really going on here.

If they don't right the ship over the next few weeks, it will get ugly in town. There are plenty of people that have been Coach-for-lifers who have jumped ship recently. Tom Bauerlie went on a 15 minute rant the other day of how this is a franchise in crisis and he wants the old culture burned down. The tenor on this board is different......when I get responses of "Hear-Hear!", instead of "FU!"......I know where the momentum is amongst the fans. People start to open their eyes and minds.

I am not sure how this will go if a tailspin ensues. Is Pegula so entrenched that he will take fan backlash as personal? His children are very active on the web and big hockey fans. Will they start to get harassed and Pegula actually start to resent the fans? These are real possibilities. Short of a 7-3 run to calm things down....questions will linger. If the Sabres drop another 5 of 7 at home around Holiday time where ticket prices are up, fans are stressed, and conversation is aflame at the dinner table over vacations.....this could go nuclear. How will our Commander in Chief respond?

I am very interested to see how this all plays out this month.

I've never been Darcy's biggest fan but as far as tuning Ruff out, there's either that or , my preference, they are just not good enough nor do most of the core have the right make-up to succeed. That's on Darcy, not Lindy in my opinion.

I am not sure how this will go if a tailspin ensues. Is Pegula so entrenched that he will take fan backlash as personal? His children are very active on the web and big hockey fans. Will they start to get harassed and Pegula actually start to resent the fans? These are real possibilities. Short of a 7-3 run to calm things down....questions will linger. If the Sabres drop another 5 of 7 at home around Holiday time where ticket prices are up, fans are stressed, and conversation is aflame at the dinner table over vacations.....this could go nuclear. How will our Commander in Chief respond?

...or he could act like most successful businessmen by giving his hires a reasonable period of time to implement his strategy and then evaluate their performance in a sober fashion once the facts are in.

He's not canning anyone during the season.

what is an owner supposed to say?

"I support my coach 90%"

what is an owner supposed to say?

"I support my coach 90%"

He didn't have to say anything. Instead he proclaimed his love for Lindy. Speaking of the Sabres 1 & only reason for existing is awesome. His love for the team city etc... great. He didn't need to sport wood about his love for Lindy. But he did its out there & it could be a haunting statement. who knows.

He didn't have to say anything. Instead he proclaimed his love for Lindy. Speaking of the Sabres 1 & only reason for existing is awesome. His love for the team city etc... great. He didn't need to sport wood about his love for Lindy. But he did its out there & it could be a haunting statement. who knows.

But did have to say something.

He was a new owner at a press conference.

"Lindy ain't going nowhere" is what he said.

:yawn:

...or he could act like most successful businessmen by giving his hires a reasonable period of time to implement his strategy and then evaluate their performance in a sober fashion once the facts are in.

If I go to a horse sale and spend the most money out of anyone there, have the best training facility and staff, make a 7 figure salary, and am told the sole reason for existance is to win Multiple Kentucky Derbies......and 1/3 through the year it looks like none of the horses has a sure chance of even qualifying for the Derby, let alone win it.....and my horses were a national laughingstock because of their ineptitude.........you bet your a$$ I'm going to come under fire.

In all honesty, I wouldn't take a penny from my owner if that is what happened. I would have no excuse other than be near the top of the charts.

Or after the season.

The problem is, if he makes a change so soon after glowing about these guys....it will be a blow to his pride. His fandom may not allow it. The only thing that may have gotten to him is that Boston game. Guys who have had success and can do whatever they want in life hate one thing.....and that is being made a fool of. Make no mistake, the Sabres were a laughingstock after that game and it will not be easily forgotten by the hockey world. We can only hope Pegula was embarassed by it and starting asking himself more questions about what is really going on here.

If they don't right the ship over the next few weeks, it will get ugly in town. There are plenty of people that have been Coach-for-lifers who have jumped ship recently. Tom Bauerlie went on a 15 minute rant the other day of how this is a franchise in crisis and he wants the old culture burned down. The tenor on this board is different......when I get responses of "Hear-Hear!", instead of "FU!"......I know where the momentum is amongst the fans. People start to open their eyes and minds.

If he has the faith in the management that he has publicly professed and if he is going to follow the plan that he seems to be espousing, he will do nothing publicly. DR knows what the goal is, it's on him to continue to improve this team. Some improvement will come from having the players get used to each other; will that be enough to preclude going outside the organization to get them to be true bonafide contenders; probably not. So, let's see what other moves get made this season. If they are enough to make TP believe that the team is heading towards the goal, there won't be changes in management after the season; if they aren't, there will be changes.

But unless TP wants to be a Dan Snyder, I don't see a knee jerk reaction to a mid-season slump, especially when the team has had ~9 regulars go down over a 9 game stretch.

Or after the season.

Could we perhaps wait until we're a little closer to the end of the season before we make that prediction?

TP strikes me as a straight shooter from what I have seen / heard from / of him. He has a very clearly, very publicly enunciated goal. If the team is making progress towards that goal, then your comment will be correct. (Though I'm not sure if under those circumstances it will be to your chagrin or not.) If the team is not making progress towards that goal, then I fully expect changes to be made and not just to the shade of blue in the dressing room carpet.

If he has the faith in the management that he has publicly professed and if he is going to follow the plan that he seems to be espousing, he will do nothing publicly. DR knows what the goal is, it's on him to continue to improve this team. Some improvement will come from having the players get used to each other; will that be enough to preclude going outside the organization to get them to be true bonafide contenders; probably not. So, let's see what other moves get made this season. If they are enough to make TP believe that the team is heading towards the goal, there won't be changes in management after the season; if they aren't, there will be changes.

But unless TP wants to be a Dan Snyder, I don't see a knee jerk reaction to a mid-season slump, especially when the team has had ~9 regulars go down over a 9 game stretch.

Making an over due change would make Pegula a Dan Snyder type owner? Wouldn't the signing of Lieno make Pegula more of a Snyder type owner? Over paying a marginal player?

Could we perhaps wait until we're a little closer to the end of the season before we make that prediction?

TP strikes me as a straight shooter from what I have seen / heard from / of him. He has a very clearly, very publicly enunciated goal. If the team is making progress towards that goal, then your comment will be correct. (Though I'm not sure if under those circumstances it will be to your chagrin or not.) If the team is not making progress towards that goal, then I fully expect changes to be made and not just to the shade of blue in the dressing room carpet.

He comes across as too much of a starry-eyed fan to make a move at GM or coach. It will take at least 2-3 years to clear those stars out.

He comes across as too much of a starry-eyed fan to make a move at GM or coach. It will take at least 2-3 years to clear those stars out.

That's your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree for now.

Again, he's been very clear in stating what the goal is. He also appears to be giving his people the tools they've requested and the latitude to make their own decisions how to reach those goals. That is what smart businessmen do. He's made a few $B; which is something very few smart businessmen do. Because of the latter, he's in a position where the personal enjoyment of the team (aka WINNING it ALL) can take dominant precedence over the other goal for a professional sports team ($$$). But he's been very clear that his goal is winning multiple Stanley Cups.

Considering the background, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

And, while he may be a huge fan of #7, #11, & #14; he's never hung out at an overpass on a starry winter night in the southern tier listening to DR drive to the net. I don't see a reason to assume that the tail is wagging that dog.

Archived