Confirmed: Tyler Myers agrees to 7 year deal

gregkash

You could find a Gaustad replacement for a 1-1.25 mil. He was overpaid when the contract was signed, is still overpaid at this point in his contract, and unless he is planning on taking a pay cut when contract negotiations begin, hopefully he will be sent packing after the season ends.

I really disagree on this one. Who are your comparables?

My comparables would be Pahlson, Malholtra, Steckle,

Malholtra and Paulson are both paid more than Gaustad, and nobody is giving those guys up.

Steckle is a much more one dimensional player than Gaustad. But probably still a bargain.

you might not like Goose, but he's underpaid :lol:

I'm looking at getting the online CI this year, to stream to my PC or PS3. If you're already streaming Netflix, sounds like you have a device and internet connection to handle it. It won't help with local games (I'm not sure whose TV area UT is) and probably not VS or NHL network games though...

So do we close Complaint Thursday early?

we use the x-box 360 for netflix. it does have an internet connection, but i haven't tested it for internet video. it streams netflix really well (though that's probably a by-product of the 40Mbp download connection we have through Century Link), so testing the CI through nhl.com might not be a bad idea at all. HMM. thanks for the tip!

So with Mighty Myers locked up for the next 8 seasons I think our defense is going to be downright amazing for the foreseeable future. Myers and Ehrhoff will prob play together at some point and it should be pretty sweet not to have to worry about having a pair of top defenders on the team for many years to come. I love this deal and it is admittedly about .75mil more than I thought he would sign for but I think this contract is paying him for what he does maybe not this year but most assuredly next season. I think if Myers returns to the ice in october like he left it in April than we will have a mean, angry, power defender who will destroy all that come before him.

You could find a Gaustad replacement for a 1-1.25 mil. He was overpaid when the contract was signed, is still overpaid at this point in his contract, and unless he is planning on taking a pay cut when contract negotiations begin, hopefully he will be sent packing after the season ends.

I really disagree on this one. Who are your comparables?

My comparables would be Pahlson, Malholtra, Steckle,

Malholtra and Paulson are both paid more than Gaustad, and nobody is giving those guys up.

Steckle is a much more one dimensional player than Gaustad. But probably still a bargain.

you might not like Goose, but he's underpaid :lol:

Beat me to it. NFW could the Goose be replaced for $1.25MM. That's McCormick money, and while I appreciate McCormick, Gaustad is a significantly better player.

Goose may be a bit overpaid, but not by more than $200K-$300K. It's nowhere near as bad an overpayment as the Hecht, Pommer and Kotalik (although that one wasn't DR's fault) deals (and I hope not but maybe Boyes as well).

As someone mentioned earlier, this summer has been an interesting exposition on just how much DR, and the organization as a whole (witness the facility upgrades) has been shackled by the former ownership.

I hope Myers continues to grow as a player - this should be a bargain down the road if he does.

I think if Myers returns to the ice in october like he left it in April than we will have a mean, angry, power defender who will destroy all that come before him.

Why do you make him sound like the next coming of Chara? He is what he is. A guy who is primarily an offensive defenseman, who will hopefully become very sound in his own end, and will throw the occasional check. A mean angry power defender? Seriously? Are we watching the same player?

Beat me to it. NFW could the Goose be replaced for $1.25MM. That's McCormick money, and while I appreciate McCormick, Gaustad is a significantly better player.

Goose may be a bit overpaid, but not by more than $200K-$300K. It's nowhere near as bad an overpayment as the Hecht, Pommer and Kotalik (although that one wasn't DR's fault) deals (and I hope not but maybe Boyes as well).

When I have some time, I will check out centers in the 1-1.5 mil range. Gaustad may be better on faceoffs, but if I had to choose one or the other to center my 4th line, I'm taking McCormick every time.

Darcy Regier on Tyler Myers: "The biggest challenge we deal with is getting players to work. He has that."

https://twitter.com/...422900488011776

:blink:

:blink: indeed. I wonder whom he was hoping would read that in the paper. Want to get paid? Bust your a$.

Ok wait, as I was typing that, I was also listening to the audio ... it's a BIT out of context. I read that tweet and I think "Darcy doesn't like the work ethic of some of his players."

Here is all of what he said, and for me it changes the tone: "The toughest challenge for all young players, whatever level they come from, they probably were working hard, every level you go up in hockey, the work level, the work ethic has to be greater. It's the biggest challenge we deal with, is getting players to learn to work. He has that."

This is why Twitter can be a dangerous thing. Those are two very different quotes, IMO.

:blink: indeed. I wonder whom he was hoping would read that in the paper. Want to get paid? Bust your a$.

Ok wait, as I was typing that, I was also listening to the audio ... it's a BIT out of context. I read that tweet and I think "Darcy doesn't like the work ethic of some of his players."

Here is all of what he said, and for me it changes the tone: "The toughest challenge for all young players, whatever level they come from, they probably were working hard, every level you go up in hockey, the work level, the work ethic has to be greater. It's the biggest challenge we deal with, is getting players to learn to work. He has that."

This is why Twitter can be a dangerous thing. Those are two very different quotes, IMO.

thanks, pipes -- very helpful. hoppe shanked that tweet badly - the critical language he omitted is bolded above. that piece alone would have changed the quote entirely, even in the truncated form in which hoppe related it.

thanks, pipes -- very helpful. hoppe shanked that tweet badly - the critical language he omitted is bolded above. that piece alone would have changed the quote entirely, even in the truncated form in which hoppe related it.

Wait - someone took a quote out of context?

I agree, the original quote in full tells a different tale than the accusatory slap in the face that Hoppe tweeted. But in defense of Hoppe, the full quote wouldn't fit within the character limitations of twitter.

Wait - someone took a quote out of context?

I agree, the original quote in full tells a different tale than the accusatory slap in the face that Hoppe tweeted. But in defense of Hoppe, the full quote wouldn't fit within the character limitations of twitter.

Well yeah it's an indictment on Twitter as much as Hoppe but if you are going to use it, you have to take that into consideration ... I am not ripping the guy, I have no reason to believe it was intentional, but writers can never publish every quote, it's always a choice of what to use in the space you have. In that case, he made a bad choice, IMO.

Well yeah it's an indictment on Twitter as much as Hoppe but if you are going to use it, you have to take that into consideration ... I am not ripping the guy, I have no reason to believe it was intentional, but writers can never publish every quote, it's always a choice of what to use in the space you have. In that case, he made a bad choice, IMO.

Well, if he still stops by here, he's probably throwing a temper tantrum right now.

Agreed, he could have phrased it better. But would it have generated as much attention if he had?

Well, if he still stops by here, he's probably throwing a temper tantrum right now.

It's raining coffee cups in downtown niagara falls right now.

Really? It doesn't have to be accurate as long as it generates attention?

Are you asking me or a reporter? They have been flirting with accuracy in headlines for 300 years.

Would I like it to be more accurate? Absolutely. Is a reporter willing to take a quote a bit out of context to generate attention? Absolutely.

Are you asking me or a reporter? They have been flirting with accuracy in headlines for 300 years.

Would I like it to be more accurate? Absolutely. Is a reporter willing to take a quote a bit out of context to generate attention? Absolutely.

Am I going to call him on it every time? Absolutely.

But again, I am not going to assume that's what he did ... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt it wasn't a calculated thing.

we use the x-box 360 for netflix. it does have an internet connection, but i haven't tested it for internet video. it streams netflix really well (though that's probably a by-product of the 40Mbp download connection we have through Century Link), so testing the CI through nhl.com might not be a bad idea at all. HMM. thanks for the tip!

In theory, Netflix and online CI should be comparable since it's really the same type of network transport[0]. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm hoping as the season nears there'll be a free trial for the streaming and the NHL app on the PS3 so I can test it out before I fork out $170 + $10 for the PS3 app. FWIW, I'm fairly sure there's an Xbox app as well, and it's free if you have Xbox Live Gold or something or other.

[0] I'm assuming they both use something like RTSP, so UDP packets flung from the server to the device.

Why do you make him sound like the next coming of Chara? He is what he is. A guy who is primarily an offensive defenseman, who will hopefully become very sound in his own end, and will throw the occasional check. A mean angry power defender? Seriously? Are we watching the same player?

I never said chara, not once. He isnt chara and I am thankful for that. Am I seriously watching the same player? Yes. are you? Did you see him in the playoffs drag players down the ice or be a force? Myers is a power defender. He can force you off the puck and he is a offensive defensmen I would never say otherwise. Hes going to be a physical force in his own end and that doesnt just mean checking it also means being able to do as he please because he can power through ppl. I disagree with your sarcasm and believe Myers will be a strong defender this season as well as what he does offensively.

Mighty Myers: See the 7:53 mark and then my favorite the 8:45 mark (sidenote check out the 3:30 mark)

Archived