Confirmed: Tyler Myers agrees to 7 year deal

gregkash

Amazing. Great deal if it gets signed and it looks like a real bargain. That means if you sign Ennis at about $3 million per, you've basically locked down the roster for next year with a few contracts coming off the books allowing you to really go after that #1 Center next offseason.

If McKenzie and I are right, the Sabres should have about $57 million committed to next year's cap with Boyes, Hecht, Kotalik, Morrisonn, and Gaustad coming off the books if not sooner. The cap is $64.3 million, so I assume it will go up to about $67 million next year if not more. So, the Sabres should have about $10 million to re-sign Gaustad, replace the other guys with Kassian, Foligno, Adam, and other pups, and sign a top #1 Center with about $6 million cap hit to spare. And, they would still have enough room to give Roy a contract extension during the season. Signing Myers now is a great move by Buffalo if they can get it done for a whole host of reasons.

the idea that we could get this guy for 6 years at pominville money is remarkable.

otoh, that contract would put him just outside the top-10 for d-men cap hits, which seems fair.

http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?type=CAP_HIT&position=D&limit=25

that hit is also about the same as chicago's wonder twins, keith and seabrook (admittedly, keith's deal is for something like 32 years (okay, 13)). myers can expect to get his elite money (whatever that ends up being in ~5 years) at the end of this deal.

prompts me to consider, anew, what will be done with payroll if this comes to pass.

i am assuming - i think correctly - that this new deal would affect this year's payroll. could be wrong on that, though.

if that assumption is correct, that would mean that myers' cap hit would increase by ~$4.2M. the team is already ~$3.6 over -- so, myers' deal would mean they'd be ~$7.8M over. which would mean that it wouldn't be enough to stash/expose to waivers morrrisonnn ($2M) and kotalik ($3M)/boyes ($4M).

prompts me to consider, anew, what will be done with payroll if this comes to pass.

i am assuming - i think correctly - that this new deal would affect this year's payroll. could be wrong on that, though.

if that assumption is correct, that would mean that myers' cap hit would increase by ~$4.2M. the team is already ~$3.6 over -- so, myers' deal would mean they'd be ~$7.8M over. which would mean that it wouldn't be enough to stash/expose to waivers morrrisonnn ($2M) and kotalik ($3M)/boyes ($4M).

His cap hit would not take effect until next season.

If I'm not mistaken, you cannot restructure contracts before they expire to change the caphit...but someone will need to clarify.

Contract extension kicks in July 1, 2012, so it will not affect this year's cap.

Edit: DtM edged me out. To answer his question: correct, a contract cannot be re-structured; the cap hit runs the life of the contract, barring a buyout or retirement (if signed before 35.)

If I'm not mistaken, you cannot restructure contracts before they expire to change the caphit...but someone will need to clarify.

One thing that can change the caphit is a rollback of salaries with a new CBA. Good to re-sign him now and possibly get a 20% rollback next CBA.

Contract extension kicks in July 1, 2012, so it will not affect this year's cap.

Edit: DtM edged me out. To answer his question: correct, a contract cannot be re-structured; the cap hit runs the life of the contract, barring a buyout or retirement (if signed before 35.)

thanks, both.

DR just goes about his business, innit? This was the most important roster/cap item for next year. Getting it done now enables the team to approach the next series of moves in a logical and orderly fashion.

Great contract, and they got it done in a summer when plenty of other teams are having major issues getting their good young defensemen signed despite being well shy of UFA status. It's also the kind of event that occurs with a strong franchise -- ie a young star re-upping for a lengthy term at a fair price well in advance of any kind of deadline.

Holy mackerel I can't wait for the season to start.

Let me be the first (I think) to say forget Darcy, good job by Tyler Myers not trying to squeeze every last dollar out of an owner who has pretty much indicated he'd be willing to pay it.

Not saying it's no big deal for DR, because it is a great move, but also an obvious one ... I promise you that a year ago today the Kings were trying to get Doughty locked up, and Nashville was trying to get Weber locked up ... neither could do it. Myers is making a big commitment that not every player is willing to make when he might be leaving money on the table.

DR just goes about his business, innit? This was the most important roster/cap item for next year. Getting it done now enables the team to approach the next series of moves in a logical and orderly fashion.

Great contract, and they got it done in a summer when plenty of other teams are having major issues getting their good young defensemen signed despite being well shy of UFA status. It's also the kind of event that occurs with a strong franchise -- ie a young star re-upping for a lengthy term at a fair price well in advance of any kind of deadline.

Holy mackerel I can't wait for the season to start.

This. Absolutely.

This news is the best thing I've read all summer.

Let me be the first (I think) to say forget Darcy, good job by Tyler Myers not trying to squeeze every last dollar out of an owner who has pretty much indicated he'd be willing to pay it.

Not saying it's no big deal for DR, because it is a great move, but also an obvious one ... I promise you that a year ago today the Kings were trying to get Doughty locked up, and Nashville was trying to get Weber locked up ... neither could do it. Myers is making a big commitment that not every player is willing to make when he might be leaving money on the table.

Good call. I read recently (I think on Puck Daddy) that the Kings GM confirmed that Doughty turned down a 9-year, $63MM contract offer. Ridiculous decision by him, IMHO.

Good call. I read recently (I think on Puck Daddy) that the Kings GM confirmed that Doughty turned down a 9-year, $63MM contract offer. Ridiculous decision by him, IMHO.

Agreed. But is it more a reflection of not wanting to play there maybe?

Oops almost forgot. Thank You Tyler and Darcy!! :thumbsup:

Archived