Confirmed: Tyler Myers agrees to 7 year deal

gregkash

Like I have said many times before, Darcy better hit home runs with these long term contracts or they will be screwed in terms of the cap. As it stands today(after Myers signs on the dotted line), the Sabres will have 9 players over the 4+ mil mark for 12-13.

...and he is staring at a much bigger contract(6+ mil) for Derek Roy who will be a UFA after the 12-13 season.

No NMC, No Problems.

EDIT: and the 2 biggest risks (IMO) Stafford and Leino, have no NMC.

I disagree with your point that every contract is based on potential, but it may be semantics. When I talk about potential, I am referring to paying someone for a hoped for production they haven't achieved yet. Leino is a perfect example of this. So is Shakira. TM, to me, is much more of a sure bet than the others. My beef here is we are paying him a very hefty salary through all of his RFA years when we are supposed to be getting a bargain. Hopefully we will end up with a bargain anyway.

OK ... I am not saying you are WRONG, in a perfect world i suppose that's how it would work ... at least in the owners' perfect world. But it doesn't actually say in the CBA "young players must sign for far less than market value until they become unrestricted free agents." Nashville kinda played that game with Weber, and now they are paying him top dollar in what is technically still an RFA year and they are probably going to lose him. In the Sabres case, it is MUCH better big picture, IMO, to pay a little more to get it done rather than to have this hanging over Myers' head for a year and them possibly have him without a contract a year from now when they are gearing up for another season with huge expectations.

I will give you that Leino has not yet had a season worthy of his new deal in terms of numbers ... I would also add that every analyst on the planet had him as the second-best UFA forward, and he signed for less than half of what the top guy got ($60 million vs. $27 million). SOMEONE was going to pay him upward of $4 million a year, it wasn't just DR taking a shot in the dark. If he had gone back to Detroit or to Pittsburgh for that money, people would have called it a great signing. Because Darcy has no history of success in this area, there are questions. They are fair questions, but I think they are more about DR than about Leino.

Also, kinda nitpicky, but Pominville got his deal coming off of an 80-point season. I hear ya when you say you like to see a guy do it before they pay him ... but Pominville was a big part of two conference finalists and then had an 80-point season with Hecht as his center for much of it. If you were Pominville, how would you react if they asked you to show them MORE? The league changed and it hurt his game, but it was not blind hope that he would produce.

Like I have said many times before, Darcy better hit home runs with these long term contracts or they will be screwed in terms of the cap. As it stands today(after Myers signs on the dotted line), the Sabres will have 9 players over the 4+ mil mark for 12-13.

...and he is staring at a much bigger contract(6+ mil) for Derek Roy who will be a UFA after the 12-13 season.

I'm not so sure there's any way around that really. Every contract is a risk, whether it's the long term one or the very short ones this team was handing out previously. I guess the only thing that remains to be seen in this new regime is how and if Darcy can recover from a deal that doesn't quite pan out.

Tavares is signing for the exact same number.

So who would you rather have Tavares or Myers?

I'd probably have to say Myers, Just because his size makes him stand out more than any other prospective "future Norris candidate."

Tavares is a great player, but top centers seem to be easier to come by, as the last time a player with Myers size and skill came along, happened to be Chara.

Edit: in no way am i saying top centers are easy to come by, just easier to come by when compared to Skilled defensemen / trees

OK ... I am not saying you are WRONG, in a perfect world i suppose that's how it would work ... at least in the owners' perfect world. But it doesn't actually say in the CBA "young players must sign for far less than market value until they become unrestricted free agents." Nashville kinda played that game with Weber, and now they are paying him top dollar in what is technically still an RFA year and they are probably going to lose him. In the Sabres case, it is MUCH better big picture, IMO, to pay a little more to get it done rather than to have this hanging over Myers' head for a year and them possibly have him without a contract a year from now when they are gearing up for another season with huge expectations.

I will give you that Leino has not yet had a season worthy of his new deal in terms of numbers ... I would also add that every analyst on the planet had him as the second-best UFA forward, and he signed for less than half of what the top guy got ($60 million vs. $27 million). SOMEONE was going to pay him upward of $4 million a year, it wasn't just DR taking a shot in the dark. If he had gone back to Detroit or to Pittsburgh for that money, people would have called it a great signing. Because Darcy has no history of success in this area, there are questions. They are fair questions, but I think they are more about DR than about Leino.

Also, kinda nitpicky, but Pominville got his deal coming off of an 80-point season. I hear ya when you say you like to see a guy do it before they pay him ... but Pominville was a big part of two conference finalists and then had an 80-point season with Hecht as his center for much of it. If you were Pominville, how would you react if they asked you to show them MORE? The league changed and it hurt his game, but it was not blind hope that he would produce.

Good post. Especially the stuff about the Pommer contract. A lot of people forget, or lose sight of the conditions surrounding his contract year.

Let me be the first (I think) to say forget Darcy, good job by Tyler Myers not trying to squeeze every last dollar out of an owner who has pretty much indicated he'd be willing to pay it.

Not saying it's no big deal for DR, because it is a great move, but also an obvious one ... I promise you that a year ago today the Kings were trying to get Doughty locked up, and Nashville was trying to get Weber locked up ... neither could do it. Myers is making a big commitment that not every player is willing to make when he might be leaving money on the table.

It is amazing what a change in ownership will do for a team, when is the last time we had a player give a home town discount?

If you don't award contracts based on potential, you won't overpay anybody but you also won't get any bargains.

When you end up with Pominville and Roy on the same roster it's all a wash anyway.

Your saying that Pommers is overpayed and Roy is underpayed right? just trying to clarify.

Myers is getting paid good money and he deserves it. The issue is what happens at the end of the this season when Ennis comes up for renewal and then next season we need to resign roy. A lot of tough decisions are going to have to be made.

Your saying that Pommers is overpayed and Roy is underpayed right? just trying to clarify.

Myers is getting paid good money and he deserves it. The issue is what happens at the end of the this season when Ennis comes up for renewal and then next season we need to resign roy. A lot of tough decisions are going to have to be made.

Yes. You win some and lose some and it all averages out, or you somehow pay everyone what they "deserve" and end up in the same place.

Garth says deal is agreed upon tomorrow. We'll see.

Let's hope so. I agree that in the start of the contract it "might" be an over payment, but will most likely be a steal for the sabres by the end. Also happy to see that the sabres finally relize they need to (or have the ability to) sign our stars before their contracts are two weeks from being over.

Edit, OT Nice to be here and i hope to contribute to the conversations. FOUR DAYS!!!

I'm not so sure there's any way around that really. Every contract is a risk, whether it's the long term one or the very short ones this team was handing out previously. I guess the only thing that remains to be seen in this new regime is how and if Darcy can recover from a deal that doesn't quite pan out.

It's his job to figure out who to hand out big multi-year contracts to and who to pass on. IMO and this is not in hindsight, he overpaid by a lot for Hecht and Gaustad and these guys should both be taking pay cuts on their new contract if they plan on staying. I can't blame him for Pominville's deal as he was improving every season at the time the new contract was offered.

Only time will tell on Ehrhoff, Leino, Myers and Stafford. People are saying look at Darcy now that the handcuffs are off. I choose to wait and see some performance on the ice.

There have been teams where the best player had a relatively low contract for his status.

And that situation served to act as a convenient (for management) drag on the salaries of the rest of the squad.

Ray Bourque and Marty Brodeur are two that come to mind.

This contract has a better chance at that scenario than becoming an albatross

This is a great development. Myers is the best skater (i.e. non-goalie) on the team and he's locked up for 7 years at a reasonable cap hit. Yet another TP/TB move demonstrating that the Sabres are now an elite franchise.

I expect him to be named captain within the next couple of seasons, BTW.

Archived