What are your lines to start the year?

Warriorspikes51

May I be the first to say "The System" for 2011-12? Leino won't be on the top line until he understands it. Roy or Pominville won't be moved down until they show the get it less than others.

It's a great competitive team as well as league now.

Looking forward to some great hockey from all the teams.

But especially MY Sabres!

In the audio I heard he said he wanted to see Stafford with Leino and then mentioned Vanek-Roy-Pominville ... I missed if he ever said anything about the other guy with Leino. But he also said he likes lines on paper because he can throw them in the garbage ... so yeah, who knows after the first practice.

That's what I heard as well.

The only time I remember vanek and Pommer looking good together was when Hecht was centering them.

I'm not that psyched about roy-vanek -Pommer but I am very interested in Leino-Ennis-stafford.

Based on a logjam of players I've never been crazy about, I've interpolated a trade for Jarrett Stoll. Here are my combos:

Leino - Stafford - Ennis

Vanek - Roy - Pominville

Gerbe - STOLL - Boyes

Kassian-Adam-Foligno

Reserves: Kaleta, Kotalik etc.

Traded/Released: Hecht, Gaustad,McCormick,

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Weber

MAG-Sekera

Reserves: Leopold

So far my first two lines are correct...

So Vanek, Adam, Boyes looked pretty damned good tonight.

And if Leino, Staff, Ennis finish as well as they move the puck, they will be bloody dangerous.

Gerbe Goose and Kaleta are going to make life miserable for the opposition.

Throw in Roy Poms and Hecht and this could be a four line team to rival 06.

I loved what i saw in the last games of Ennis Leino and Stafford.

I really liked Boyes in the game last night. The PP goal of Vanek Boyes and Adam was awesome.

Am i right that Hecht hasn't played a game so far in the preseason? Is this a sign that he will be traded?

I hope not because i like Hecht very much.

And our D is really awesome. Ehrhoff played extremely well in the first preseason games. Our preseason PP was a storm so far.

I hope the real season will start as well as the preseason.

Does anyone else remember all the talk last season about how much more aggressive with the puck Vanek was when Roy went out? How Vanek seemed to be a different/better player without Roy?

Yes. It's why I have misgivings about Leino ending up with Ennis. Roy-Vanek feels like a step backward.

after watching the game last night, I am in favor of Adam-Vanek as a line for a little, but then Roy ends up?

Yes. It's why I have misgivings about Leino ending up with Ennis. Roy-Vanek feels like a step backward.

Leino with Ennis is pure gold... Their puck possesion time alone makes that line our best and we FINALLY have a line that potentially can control a game. At this time would not break that up in hope that Leino works with ennis.

Here is where I am going and its really an exciting thought...

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Ennis-Leino-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pommers

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Leo/Sekera

Leo/Sekera-Weber

MAG

McNabb/Brennen

after watching the game last night, I am in favor of Adam-Vanek as a line for a little, but then Roy ends up?

Leino with Ennis is pure gold... Their puck possesion time alone makes that line our best and we FINALLY have a line that potentially can control a game. At this time would not break that up in hope that Leino works with ennis.

Here is where I am going and its really an exciting thought...

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Ennis-Leino-Stafford

Hecht-Roy-Pommers

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Leo/Sekera

Leo/Sekera-Weber

MAG

McNabb/Brennen

It's very interesting, I'll give you that. I wouldn't mind seeing that for a whole preseason game. But Luke Adam as a #1 center does have me a little nervous.

It's very interesting, I'll give you that. I wouldn't mind seeing that for a whole preseason game. But Luke Adam as a #1 center does have me a little nervous.

Ennis-Leino-Stafford

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Hecht-Roy-Pommers

Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Leo/Sekera

Leo/Sekera-Weber

MAG

McNabb/Brennen

There, fixed

As long as Hecht is hurt McCormick is in the lineup anyway.

IMO when push comes to shove and Hecht is healthy Adam will be in Rochester and McCormick will be in the lineup.

So, what do the lines become with Hecht healthy and McCormick in? Obviously Cody won't center Vanek. Does Goose become the center for Vanek, and Cody goes with Gerbs and Kaleta?

As long as Hecht is hurt McCormick is in the lineup anyway.

IMO when push comes to shove and Hecht is healthy Adam will be in Rochester and McCormick will be in the lineup.

I agree.

Vanek – Roy - Pomminstein

Ennis – Leino – Stafford

Gerbe – Hecht - Boyes

McCormick – Gaustad – Kaleta

IMHO lines 1 and 2 are 1a and 1b...

Hecht's line will be better than most other 3rd lines.

4th line is disturber/tear your head off if you screw with us line.

I agree.

Vanek – Roy - Pomminstein

Ennis – Leino – Stafford

Gerbe – Hecht - Boyes

McCormick – Gaustad – Kaleta

IMHO lines 1 and 2 are 1a and 1b...

Hecht's line will be better than most other 3rd lines.

4th line is disturber/tear your head off if you screw with us line.

this is about what I expect for a lineup until the 2nd period. :D

So Jochen is out for the time being. So I don't think there are a lot of nice set options for the lines at forward. There will be a lot of shuffling Once Hecht is back, however, I see two basic lineups.

A) The "Skill" Lineup:

Vanek - Roy - Pommer

Ennis - Leino - Fu Man Drew

Hecht - Adam - Boyes

Gerbe - Goose - Kaleta

B) The "Fightin'" Lineup:

Vanek - Roy - Pommer

Ennis - Leino - Fu Man Drew

Gerbe - Hecht - Boyes

McCormick - Goose - Kaleta

Ideally, Lineup A goes in most of the time to role 4 lines and just try to tire the opponent out with 60 minutes of high speed play. When we come up to a team that will spend a lot of effort to try to push the Sabres around, Lineup B starts and the third line provides a little energy.

But the only position I see locked in right now is Vanek as the #1 LW. Everything else is going to bend to the whims of the Head Line Shuffler.

someone said it up thread but after seeing these last couple of games I dont want Vanek anywhere near a line with Roy, they dont work and Vaneks better with any other center. Its like with Roy he doesnt necessarily slack off but he doesnt play as hard maybe so Roy can get more chances or something like that and when he plays with anyone else he changes and feels like he has to carry his line. Vanek is good enough to carry a line so make him do it. In the last 3 games where Vanek and Adam have been on a line they have 3g and 5a and if you want to you could toss out the columbus game because 3 games in 3 nights for a team is brutal. Either way those two accounted for 8pts which is pretty damn good. And no wheres near what Roy and Vanek produced together

Vanek: 2g, 2a

Adam: 1g, 3a

someone said it up thread but after seeing these last couple of games I dont want Vanek anywhere near a line with Roy, they dont work and Vaneks better with any other center. Its like with Roy he doesnt necessarily slack off but he doesnt play as hard maybe so Roy can get more chances or something like that and when he plays with anyone else he changes and feels like he has to carry his line. Vanek is good enough to carry a line so make him do it. In the last 3 games where Vanek and Adam have been on a line they have 3g and 5a and if you want to you could toss out the columbus game because 3 games in 3 nights for a team is brutal. Either way those two accounted for 8pts which is pretty damn good. And no wheres near what Roy and Vanek produced together

Vanek: 2g, 2a

Adam: 1g, 3a

That's not really fair considering Roy has only had 22 minutes of ice time this preseason.

Archived