What are your lines to start the year?

Warriorspikes51

What were the lines last night?

My 2 cents on Roy and Vanek: I'm not a fan of Roy's and would prefer to keep him away from Vanek. However, I would be very surprised if Roy didn't start the year centering Vanek. I also would be quite surprised if Adam started the year getting 1st-line minutes given his shakiness in the defensive zone. I also think Leino-Ennis-Stafford and Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta are highly likely to start the year as intact lines and to stay together for a while. So that leaves:

Roy-Vanek-Pommer

Leino-Stafford-Ennis

Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta

Adam-McCormick-Boyes

and, if the top line isn't clicking:

Adam-Vanek-Boyes

Roy-McCormick-Pommer

or

Adam-Vanek-Pommer

Roy-McCormick-Boyes

Boyes is in his contract year and Adam wants to prove he belongs in the NHL, so both of them could be busting their butts. They both have good size and skill. I wouldn't mind seeing the 2 of them with Vanek for a while. When Hecht returns, Roy-Hecht-Pommer would be a pretty good line as well.

Last preseason game over- these are my guesses at lines-

I don't see a #1 line. I see three balanced ones

Ennis-leino-Staff

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Gerbe-Roy-Pominville

McCormick-Goose-Kaleta

Roll these for the first 30 min

Then Lindy will collapse to 3 - top 2 lines stay together

The bottom 6 for that night get shuffled into one for the last 30.

That how I think things will start.

Ennis-leino-Staff

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Gerbe-Roy-Pominville

McCormick-Goose-Kaleta

I agree with much of this although i think Adam will get fewer shifts in the 3rd when the Sabres are protecting a lead. (which will be most of the time! Yeah!)

Vanek Adam Boyes

Ennis Leino Stafford

McCormick Roy Pominville

Gerbe Goose Kaleta

All 4 lines have the ability to possess the puck in the Offensive zone for long stretches and generate chances.

Throw Adam into the fire and see how he handles it. That's the best way to see if he's ready to play at this level.

Ennis-leino-Staff

Vanek-Adam-Boyes

Gerbe-Roy-Pominville

McCormick-Goose-Kaleta

Can't breakup the Gerbe Goose Kaleta line.....

Can't breakup the Gerbe Goose Kaleta line.....

Vanek-Adam-Pommers

Ennis-Leino-Stafford

Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta

Boyes-Roy-McCormick

Then of course, not too long into the game, Ruff starts mixing and matching. With the rolling of lines, it works out. I don't like Roy with Vanek, but I see Roy and Adam switching spots in those above lines based on how the game is going.

Today's lines at practice in Mannheim.

Thomas Vanek-Luke Adam-Jason Pominville

Tyler Ennis-Ville Leino-Brad Boyes

Nathan Gerbe-Derek Roy-Drew Stafford

Cody McCormick-Matt Ellis/Paul Gaustad-Patrick Kaleta.

I'm thinking Lindy has seen enough of Ennis-Leino-Stafford. They look decent but aren't getting any production. That 3rd line does look dangerous.

Any Ruff invention that produces two threat lines, and thus keeps opposing teams from keying solely on the one line, like they did over the past two seasons, is a good thing. I am still amazed Lindy never looked at Leino, Vanek in the pre-season.

I'm thinking Lindy has seen enough of Ennis-Leino-Stafford. They look decent but aren't getting any production. That 3rd line does look dangerous.

I don't hate this.

Now that lineup is very interesting... maybe even stanley cup interesting... I think it depends on boyes and Adam and if that works it will work and I am more worried about boyes... if he stays with leino and ennis his job needs to be to shoot whenever the puck touches his stick. Very interesting.

I kind of like these lines. What I find most interesting is that there is no obvious place for Hecht in these lines.

not trying to be harsh but just curious, what do people see hecht bringing to the lineup if we removed someone like Kaleta?

not trying to be harsh but just curious, what do people see hecht bringing to the lineup if we removed someone like Kaleta?

Hecht is great on PK, and is much less prone to making poor decisions.

If it came down to choosing between the two, it would depend on who the opponent was that night.

They play on different wings so taking one out in exchange for the other is tough as there would have to be further line juggling, but I'll answer anyway.

Frankly, Hecht brings alot more talent. Alot more offensive upside. He's a legit 3rd liner, OK to mediocre 2nd liner. Kaleta's top side is below average 3rd line. Hecht is your first unit PK'er so it's more upside there too. And you end up with more flexibility becuase he can take time at center too.

What do we lose with Hecht in, Kaleta out? Physicality. Energy. Chemistry with the other 4th liners. 'bout it for me.

I'd expect he'd end up on the Roy line with Gerbe bouncing McCormick out of the lineup.

Wouldn't suprise me but my gut tells me that the 3rd line is more effective with Gerbe on it that with Hecht on it.

Wouldn't suprise me but my gut tells me that the 3rd line is more effective with Gerbe on it that with Hecht on it.

In the offensive zone, absolutely. In the defensive zone, I'd doubt it. Not sure which would make the team as a whole more productive.

So Adam and Grags make the team (which I hope they do). Ellis does not. Hecht is a reserve/scratch because of concussion? Not sure where Hecht fits in because of his health status right now. What's the max roster number, 23?

In the offensive zone, absolutely. In the defensive zone, I'd doubt it. Not sure which would make the team as a whole more productive.

Tough call, but I just don't like Gerbe behind the Sabres' blueline yet. Maybe he'll grow on me (unintended), but I just don't see him as a whole player yet. Heart? Sure. As Gene Hackman said in whatever crappy football movie, "miles and miles of heart." But in the Sabres' end, I am concerned. Frankly, I worry about the kid's health overall. Someone, somehow, is going to slam the crap out of him. Probably that scumbag Carcillo.

Tough call, but I just don't like Gerbe behind the Sabres' blueline yet. Maybe he'll grow on me (unintended), but I just don't see him as a whole player yet. Heart? Sure. As Gene Hackman said in whatever crappy football movie, "miles and miles of heart." But in the Sabres' end, I am concerned. Frankly, I worry about the kid's health overall. Someone, somehow, is going to slam the crap out of him. Probably that scumbag Carcillo.

I'm not sure. It really is hard to get leverage on someone his size because his center of gravity is so low. It's like trying to tackle a fire hydrant. :D

Archived