What are your lines to start the year?

Warriorspikes51

Here's what I would do. (Not that it means anything since I'm not around the team)

Vanek Leino Stafford

Ennis Roy Boyes

Hecht Gaustad Pominville

Kaleta McCormick Gerbe

x Ellis

Regehr Myers

Ehrhoff Sekera

Leopold Weber

x Gragnani

I have Pommer on the 3rd line because Hecht Gaustad Pommer gives us a very reliable defensive group of forwards and with Boyes on a line with Ennis and Roy he may contribute 25+ goals. As far as balance, I think this is pretty good.

I also get excited thinking about Sekera and Ehrhoff moving up ice together along with the forwards...

I'm pretty sure there is already a thread for this but damned if I can find it. So I guess I'll post what I think they'll be. Again.

Vanek Leino Boyes

Ennis Roy Stafford

Gerbe Hecht Pominville

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta

Warrior, you had a couple players out of position. Gerbe is a natural LW and Kaleta is a natural RW. I don't see any compelling reason for Lindy to attempt to change that.

Hecht and Pommer are a natural combo for offense with a strong defensive conscience. Gerbe is an interesting dynamic here and really won;t break into the top 2 lines and isn't a good fit for the 4th line so he'll end up here. And I think he might just make a good two way forward. He certainly has the tenacity to become a good defensive player.

And as far as I am concerned, goose belongs on the 4th line. If he is playing center on the 3rd line it si because our Leino-as-center experiment didn't work and Hecht is playing center in the top 6 again. :censored:

And Roy and Leino are interchangeable until we see who gels with who in the preseason. Either one could end up centering Vanek.

Stafford had pretty decent chemistry in stints with Ennis, did he not? Wouldn't suprise me to see Staff on the 2nd line if Boyes can show he plays well with Vanek. Could just as easily be the other way around too.

Who the heck can predict what the defensive pairings will look like. There is lots of talent to go around and anyone could end up with anyone.

Interesting preseason coming. Unlike the last couple of years, the roster looks like it has 4 lines that seem to make sense.

Here's what I want to see:

Leino-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Boyes-Ennis

Hecht-Pommer-Gerbe

Gaustad-McCormick-Kaleta

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-Weber

Sekera-Leopold

I really want Leino to be worthy of the #1 center slot and Boyes to be worthy of the #2 RW slot. I want this to be the case for many reasons, but one of the big ones is that I think Roy and Pommer can really shine in slots that are a bit lower in the rotation than where they've been playing -- and that they can help their linemates as well.

Similarly, if Weber's decision-making improves to the point where he can play in the top 4, then the Sabres suddenly have a physically punishing top 4 and a 3rd pair that will catch a lot of opposing 3rd and 4th liners napping and create offense.

However, here's what I think will happen (not necessarily to start the year, but eventually):

Roy-Vanek-Stafford

Leino-Pommer-Ennis

Hecht-Boyes-Gerbe

Gaustad-McCormick-Kaleta

Myers-Ehrhoff

Regehr-Leopold

Weber-Sekera

I'm not sure why I think this will happen with the forwards other than (i) I don't think Boyes is good enough to drop Pommer down to #3 RW and (ii) we've seen so much of Roy and Pommer in these slots over the years it's hard to see it changing. If this is what happens, I'm much less excited about the forwards than I am about the defense -- ie these forward lines just kinda feel like more of the same formula that hasn't gotten it done for 4 years, but the D has still undergone a major renovation that I'm psyched to see.

Vanek Leino Pominville (best scorer, puck handler, defensive conscience who can play with scorers, plus I liked how TV and JP played together last year)

Ennis Roy Stafford (Tyler and Staff played well together, Roy should make them better if he and Ennis learn how to play catch)

Gerbe Hecht Boyes (two smart vets and a buzz saw, solid D and more offense than most third lines)

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta (should be a nightmare to play against)

Myers Ehrhoff (Ehrhoff is a better Talinder)

Regehr Sekera (the tough vet helps Sekera emerge)

Weber Leopold (Nice mix)

I'm not sure why I think this will happen with the forwards other than (i) I don't think Boyes is good enough to drop Pommer down to #3 RW and (ii) we've seen so much of Roy and Pommer in these slots over the years it's hard to see it changing. If this is what happens, I'm much less excited about the forwards than I am about the defense -- ie these forward lines just kinda feel like more of the same formula that hasn't gotten it done for 4 years, but the D has still undergone a major renovation that I'm psyched to see.

Not suprising that you'd feel that way. Other than Leino, it is "more of the same formula that hasn't gotten it done for 4 years". Change in post season prospects comes down to 3 things really, 1. the gamble on Leino paying off, b. incremental improvement in Stafford and Ennis, and iii. new combos and a new organizational focus creating magic where there was none previous.

I think #1 has a 50/50 shot of working out big or busting. Maybe shade more towards working out. #2 is most likely to occur but not given. #3 is wishful thinking IMO.

IMO the defense is going to be the big story this season and the offense is going to continue its maddening habit of being statistically very good in the regualr season but still can't make it happen consistently in the clutch. And my prediction would be that the defense carries us into round 2 where the offense works hard but falls short. And we'll get our #1 center next offseason.

Anyway, that's what my whiskey infused brain is throwing around tonight.

Not suprising that you'd feel that way. Other than Leino, it is "more of the same formula that hasn't gotten it done for 4 years". Change in post season prospects comes down to 3 things really, 1. the gamble on Leino paying off, b. incremental improvement in Stafford and Ennis, and iii. new combos and a new organizational focus creating magic where there was none previous.

I think #1 has a 50/50 shot of working out big or busting. Maybe shade more towards working out. #2 is most likely to occur but not given. #3 is wishful thinking IMO.

IMO the defense is going to be the big story this season and the offense is going to continue its maddening habit of being statistically very good in the regualr season but still can't make it happen consistently in the clutch. And my prediction would be that the defense carries us into round 2 where the offense works hard but falls short. And we'll get our #1 center next offseason.

Anyway, that's what my whiskey infused brain is throwing around tonight.

Excellent post. I think (or perhaps it's more of a desperate hope) though that the following elements could also boost the offense:

1. Gerbe. I think he is likely to score 20+ goals, and just as important, to play a fast, relentless, pushy game that will inspire his teammates and annoy the opponents.

2. Boyes. I'm actually not optimistic about him adding that much, but it's certainly possible.

3. Down-slotting of guys like Roy, Pommer and Hecht in the offensive rotation -- I think this is more than just shuffling the combos and hoping for chemistry. If it happens, it means (i) they're playing against the opposition's lesser players and (ii) they have less pressure on them to produce.

4. Change in personnel -- Leino, Gerbe and Boyes in the top 9 means 1/3 of the top 9 has turned over since February.

5. Stafford just might be ready for prime time.

We'll see. At the end of the day I think they probably still need another top line forward, but their forwards now are more or less as good as boston's were last year. And as you pointed out the D and goaltending will be potentially elite.

This is what I was expecting back in July:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Leino - Boyes

Gerbe - Hecht - Pominville

Kaleta - Gaustad - McCormick

Ehrhoff - Myers

Regehr - Leopold

Gragnani - Weber

Miller

Enroth

Spares: Sekera, Adam

1 Ways in Ra-cha-cha: Kotalik, Morrisonn

Dead space: Kennedy

I'm hoping that Roy and Leino swap spots and I'd expect Regehr and Ehrhoff to swap and Sekera to grab either Grags or Mustard Boy's spot as well. (Probably Grags) But other than those tweaks, I'm sticking w/ my original guess.

What I want:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford*

Ennis-Leino-Boyes (I want to give Boyes a real chance on the wing)

Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville (a misfit line if ever there was one)

Kaleta-Gaustad-McCormick

Regehr-Myers (I want one stay-at-home and one puck mover whenever possible)

Ehrhoff-Leopold

Sekera**-Weber

*If he reverts to his old self after getting his big contract, I want him traded, Pommers on this line, and Kotalik on the Hecht line.

**On thin ice, Reggie. I almost wrote Ehrhoff-Weber and Leopold-Gragnani.

Damn, this team has one hell of a blueline all of the sudden.

Vanek, Gaustad, Stafford

Leino, Roy, Gerbe

Pominville, Boyes, Ennis

Hechts, McCormick, Kaleta

VGS. I'm going off the norm here. I like the idea of putting the best faceoff guy on the line with the two best scorers (sorry Roy). Maximize their time in the zone. This line also has some grit

I have a gut feeling that LRG will be electric. They could get pushed around a bit if you can catch them. They also might be damn hard to catch and Leino seems like he'll hold that puck possession.

Now PBE may be a complete mismatch against other teams third lines and could really excel.

Finally HMK should be a very good checking line.

Now as to the Defense, I've got no clue having not really watched Erhoff and Regehr

Vanek Leino Pominville

Ennis Roy Stafford

Gerbe Hecht Boyes

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta

Regehr Myers

Sekera Erhoff

Leopold Weber

I have Pommer penciled in for the top line. He always finds a way to get his points. With a player like leino who can hang onto the puck, I think we see Pommer and Vaneks numbersgo up.

Stafford and Ennis have shown me they work well together, and ennis played with Roy quite a bit before he was hurt. This line could have some insane chemistry moving forward.

Gerbe and Boyes looked solid together while boyes was playing wing. I noticed that boyes has a tendency to go to the net and pick up rebounds, and he's pretty proficient at it. Give him a summer to get up to speed with the sabres system and i think he'd benefit a lot from any slapshots that gerbe would send the opposing goalies way.

The fourth line speaks for itself.

Vanek Leino Pominville (best scorer, puck handler, defensive conscience who can play with scorers, plus I liked how TV and JP played together last year)

Ennis Roy Stafford (Tyler and Staff played well together, Roy should make them better if he and Ennis learn how to play catch)

Gerbe Hecht Boyes (two smart vets and a buzz saw, solid D and more offense than most third lines)

McCormick Gaustad Kaleta (should be a nightmare to play against)

Myers Ehrhoff (Ehrhoff is a better Talinder)

Regehr Sekera (the tough vet helps Sekera emerge)

Weber Leopold (Nice mix)

Little different look, I think GM Money dumps Hecht before the start of the season as part of the cap relief:

Vanek-Roy-Staff

Ennis-Leino-Pommer

Gerbe-Adam-Boyes

Kaleta-Goose-McCormick

I like the idea of Adam as my third line center, rather than Hecht for too much money.

Vanek-Roy-Boyes

Ennis-Leino-Stafford

Gerbe-Hecht-Pominville (Gerbe switches with Gaustad with 10 minutes left in the third period if the Sabres are leading)

McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Myers

Regehr-Leopold

Sekera-Weber

Spares: Gragnani, Adam, Kassian

I could see a situation where Boyes gets traded and Kotalik takes his spot giving the Sabres cap room and roster space to sign Mike Grier as a spare and 4th line player and penalty killer. I seriously think this could actually happen, too.

I could see a situation where Boyes gets traded and Kotalik takes his spot giving the Sabres cap room and roster space to sign Mike Grier as a spare and 4th line player and penalty killer. I seriously think this could actually happen, too.

Why in the world would we need to do that? For one, we'd lose Boyes to only save $1 million by promoting Kotalik? Two, why bring back and EXTREMELY washed up Grier when you have young guys like Ellis waiting in the wings?

Why in the world would we need to do that? For one, we'd lose Boyes to only save $1 million by promoting Kotalik? Two, why bring back and EXTREMELY washed up Grier when you have young guys like Ellis waiting in the wings?

Ellis is no "young guy", but I do agree. No way Grier comes back, and very unlikely that we sign ANYBODY for that matter. I COULD imagine a scenario where Boyes is traded and Kotalik squeaks into the lineup, but yeah -- with Ellis as a spare 4th line motor, and Kassian + Foligno probably drooling over the potential opportunity to make the roster, there's absolutely no reason to sign Grier. He proved to me last year that he can no longer play at a high enough level.. sucks, but it's the truth.

Like to see Leino center the first line with Vanek with either Pom or Kotilik.

Stafford on the wing of the second line with Roy centering and take your pick.

Three and four??? no need to repeat consensus above

Need a few trades to make room for Gragnani on this roster, especially in the playoffs.. An overdose of LCD forces me to halucinate about a Grags, Ehrhoff, Vanek, Leino and fill in the blank player on the pp.(I like Kotilik rotating and and out of the one and two pp lines too) The kid proved he could step up under pressure last year. He has as much or more potential than at least two other guys who are already on the roster IMO.

Would like to see Regher on the first pair and Myers as the key piece on the second pairing.

Ellis is no "young guy", but I do agree. No way Grier comes back, and very unlikely that we sign ANYBODY for that matter. I COULD imagine a scenario where Boyes is traded and Kotalik squeaks into the lineup, but yeah -- with Ellis as a spare 4th line motor, and Kassian + Foligno probably drooling over the potential opportunity to make the roster, there's absolutely no reason to sign Grier. He proved to me last year that he can no longer play at a high enough level.. sucks, but it's the truth.

Ellis is no spring chicken, but he's 6 years younger than Grier. While Grier showed signs that his motor was wearing out I have yet to see that from Ellis. But moreover I was referring to our true young prospects.

I just don't see Kotalik making it into the lineup. He's just too high priced for what he brings.

I don't think you guys understand what I'm saying. You are arguing with me over something that I see Darcy Regier potentially doing, not necessarily something I am personally advocating. I am foreseeing a situation that could happen with Darcy Regier as the GM.

No matter how you look at it, the Sabres have to get under the cap by about $3.5 million. Assume you trade away Morrisonn. That saves $2 million. So, you are still over by $1.5 million. Hence, given that situation, I could very easily see a situation where Boyes gets traded reducing the cap number to about $2.5 million under the cap. If that happens, the Sabres will have 2 available roster spots at $2.5 million, so I could see a situation where they might sign Grier to be a 4th line guy, injury replacement, and professional to help the guys prepare, and add Ellis to the mix and you have a 23 man roster and you have about $1 million left against the cap. Or, you send Ellis down as he is on a two way this year and you get about $1.5 million with a 22 man roster.

In the situation that everyone expects which is Kotalik get sent down or traded, the cap savings is $3 million, so the available cap space is about $1.5 million (again if we assume Morrisonn gets traded). So, by eliminating Kotalik and keeping Boyes, the cap flexibility is only $1.5 million with a 21 man roster. If you assume Ellis makes the team, you have a 22 man roster with a little less than $1 million in available cap space. That means you go into the season without a 23 man roster and you make a call-up for the last guy when you need it, which I think is a very reasonable solution, and not outside the realm of possibility.

However, this is just my personal speculation (not something that I necessarily advocate), but it just doesn't make sense to me that the Sabres would specifically take Kotalik from Calgary instead of any number of underachieving high priced players on that roster like Stajan, Hagman, Jokinen, etc. unless they genuinely believed he could play for Lindy Ruff. He certainly could be sent down to Rochester (or loaned to a team in the Czech Republic), but I believe Kotalik makes the team and the Sabres trade Boyes. Just a hunch (not something I am advocating or believe is the right thing to do).

Vanek Roy Stafford

Ennis Leino Pommer

Boyes Gaustad Gerbs

Hecht McCormick Kaleta

Myers Regher

Erhoff Sekera

Leo Weber

Kassian will take over for a winger whenever someone ends up getting hurt. He'll show a lot of promise. Adam will get some time as the fourth center. Grags will be the rotational D man.

Am I the only one that kind of wants to see Weber play with Regehr? I think someone like that is who we all have kind of hoped Mike Weber would eventually turn into, what better way to get him going in the right direction than to play with him at even strength?

Myers-Ehrhoff

Regehr-Weber

Leopold-Sekera

I'm not really even looking at them in any certain order, because I could see them all getting similar amounts of ice time. Just another look I suppose.

Archived