What are your lines to start the year?

Warriorspikes51

No love on here for Vanek, Gaustad, Stafford?

I think maximizing Vanek's time in the zone would be big. Also having an enforcer and net presence should help both Stafford and Vanek's chances.

If Gaustad is centering your #1 line you are shooting for a lottery draft pick. Goose's talent is in faceoffs. All of his other skills translate into a 4th liner. He belongs with McCormick and the part-timer. Put a guy that can feed Vanek and Stafford on that line.

If Gaustad is centering your #1 line you are shooting for a lottery draft pick. Goose's talent is in faceoffs. All of his other skills translate into a 4th liner. He belongs with McCormick and the part-timer. Put a guy that can feed Vanek and Stafford on that line.

This 100 times over.

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Leino - Boyes

Gaustad - Hecht - Pominville

Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta

I like Gerbe on the 4th Line far better than the checking line. And if Ennis ever starts to slide, Gerbe and he can simply switch. If Kotalik can be called up occasionally without putting us over the Cap, I'd have him come in to spell Kaleta who will most likely be hurt by the third week of the season.

I think you are selling him short. If he wins faceoffs that keep Vanek in the zone and then clogs up the net, he could be a valuable cog. I'm tired of watching half of Vanek's shift being wasted chasing the puck out of the defensive zone and then standing on the blue line waiting to come back in the offensive zone. If Goose could win the faceoffs and keep his zone time up, I think it would be worth it.

I think you are selling him short. If he wins faceoffs that keep Vanek in the zone and then clogs up the net, he could be a valuable cog. I'm tired of watching half of Vanek's shift being wasted chasing the puck out of the defensive zone and then standing on the blue line waiting to come back in the offensive zone. If Goose could win the faceoffs and keep his zone time up, I think it would be worth it.

You want a guy who's had more than 20 assists once in his career to center a 40 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer? Oooooookaaayyyyy. :unsure:

It's not like Goose is then next Joel Otto or Bobby Holik. He can't dish the puck and he's an average at best skater. Probably less than average. And I don't really believe that puck possession is his strong point. He's a forechecker with very good faceoff skills. I'll pass.

You want a guy who's had more than 20 assists once in his career to center a 40 goal scorer and a 30 goal scorer? Oooooookaaayyyyy. :unsure:

It's not like Goose is then next Joel Otto or Bobby Holik. He can't dish the puck and he's an average at best skater. Probably less than average. And I don't really believe that puck possession is his strong point. He's a forechecker with very good faceoff skills. I'll pass.

Well, Weave is ultimately right on this one IMHO, but I also think Goose is a legit #3 center on a team for whom the 3rd line is a checking line. It looks like the Sabres will have at least 2 scoring wingers on their 3rd line this year (ie Gerbe and Pommer or Gerbe and Boyes), so Gaustad isn't really the right fit there -- Weave is right that he's too slow for that kind of role. Hecht is a better fit, and if Hecht gets traded, Adam is probably a better fit as well.

Either way, I expect Gaustad to be in the top 9 forwards in ice time. He's a good player and a valuable part of the team and often doesn't get the respect he deserves here, IMHO.

Well, Weave is ultimately right on this one IMHO, but I also think Goose is a legit #3 center on a team for whom the 3rd line is a checking line. It looks like the Sabres will have at least 2 scoring wingers on their 3rd line this year (ie Gerbe and Pommer or Gerbe and Boyes), so Gaustad isn't really the right fit there -- Weave is right that he's too slow for that kind of role. Hecht is a better fit, and if Hecht gets traded, Adam is probably a better fit as well.

Either way, I expect Gaustad to be in the top 9 forwards in ice time. He's a good player and a valuable part of the team and often doesn't get the respect he deserves here, IMHO.

Goose usually gets 15 to 16 minutes a game. Usually that's indicative of 3rd line minutes.

This is what I was expecting back in July:

Vanek - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Leino - Boyes

Gerbe - Hecht - Pominville

Kaleta - Gaustad - McCormick

Ehrhoff - Myers

Regehr - Leopold

Gragnani - Weber

Miller

Enroth

Spares: Sekera, Adam

1 Ways in Ra-cha-cha: Kotalik, Morrisonn

Dead space: Kennedy

I'm hoping that Roy and Leino swap spots and I'd expect Regehr and Ehrhoff to swap and Sekera to grab either Grags or Mustard Boy's spot as well. (Probably Grags) But other than those tweaks, I'm sticking w/ my original guess.

Who's this dead space guy Kennedy?. Also, Boyes was so bad in the playoff's...Can we _hit can him please???

Who's this dead space guy Kennedy?. Also, Boyes was so bad in the playoff's...Can we _hit can him please???

We bought kennedy out and have a minor caphit left over from that.

I know the answer but I will ask anyways, If we trade boyes away who takes that RW spot... Kotalik or Kassian or mystery player? Personally I would rather Kassian get a season of AHL action under his belt.

almost there...

Even with my critical comments re: Gaustad, I still like him on this team. I just like him in the proper role. He's an effective PK'er and deserves all the time he gets there. He's an above average energy line guy who can be physical and positionally responsible. He's a decent defensive forward. Ideally, I don't want him on my 3rd line though, he's not a good enough skater for either a secondary scoring line or pure defensive matchup line. He's no Brent Pederson or Craig Ramsay on his skates, and I believe that is important if he is going to be primarily a defensive cover guy. And I definitely don't want him on a top 2 line.

I think he becomes the best 4th line center in the league but isn't really equipped well to be an average to above average *full time* 3rd line center. He is certainly capable of filling the role of 3rd line center and be effective, but it isn't really using him to his best advantage.

We bought kennedy out and have a minor caphit left over from that.

I know the answer but I will ask anyways, If we trade boyes away who takes that RW spot... Kotalik or Kassian or mystery player? Personally I would rather Kassian get a season of AHL action under his belt.

almost there...

Aside from that management made it clear at the end of the season they will give Boyes one more full season to prove himself, they had/have no intent to trade him. ESPECIALLY if the choice is Kotalik or him.

You must be thinking of Ennis. After he plays 55 games he's no longer waiver exempt.

RFA games played only matters to count a season of professional experience. 11 or more games and it counts as a year. Grags is still RFA after this year.

Group 6 Free Agent: Any player who is over 25, has played at least 3 pro seasons, but has played in less than 80 NHL games become UFAs at the completion of their contract. Grags turns 25 in March, so he qualifies. He has 22 NHL games played (15 in the regular season, 7 in the playoffs). So he needs to play in 58 games this year, counting the playoffs. It's the same clause in the CBA that freed up Mancari this year.

Group 6 Free Agent: Any player who is over 25, has played at least 3 pro seasons, but has played in less than 80 NHL games become UFAs at the completion of their contract. Grags turns 25 in March, so he qualifies. He has 22 NHL games played (15 in the regular season, 7 in the playoffs). So he needs to play in 58 games this year, counting the playoffs. It's the same clause in the CBA that freed up Mancari this year.

Why isn't he in Group 2?

Or are you saying that right now he's a Group 2 and could possibly be a Group 6 after the season?

Why isn't he in Group 2?

Or are you saying that right now he's a Group 2 and could possibly be a Group 6 after the season?

Right now he would qualify as Group 6 (well, once his contract expires). He'll be either one or the other. If he reaches 80 NHL games, he'll be group 2, if not, group 6.

Right now he would qualify as Group 6 (well, once his contract expires). He'll be either one or the other. If he reaches 80 NHL games, he'll be group 2, if not, group 6.

so a whopping 2 games counts as an NHL season? Or 4 games for that matter? I just feel like there has to be some limit on the number of games before it counts as a pro season

so a whopping 2 games counts as an NHL season? Or 4 games for that matter? I just feel like there has to be some limit on the number of games before it counts as a pro season

Depends what Group. Some say professional games are AHL, NHL et al. Some count only NHL games as in my previous post.

Depends what Group. Some say professional games are AHL, NHL et al. Some count only NHL games as in my previous post.

I see thats interesting... so basically the group 6, 3 pro seasons could be counting AHL seasons... Sorry I am no CBA expert but if thats the case it makes sense.

As far as I remember, any time it refers to actual games, it is talking about NHL games. Professional seasons is where the AHL and even European leagues come into play.

As far as I remember, any time it refers to actual games, it is talking about NHL games. Professional seasons is where the AHL and even European leagues come into play.

For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given NHL Season.

Like Tyler Myers his first year.

Ruff at camp today said he'll most likely start out with

Vanek-Roy-Pominville-

Ennis (or Hecht)-Leino-Stafford

for the top six

Disappointing! :pirate:

Come on, Ruff, get with the program! Pominville on the top line?

Hecht is even a possibility for the top six? :wallbash:

Ruff at camp today said he'll most likely start out with

Vanek-Roy-Pominville-

Ennis (or Hecht)-Leino-Stafford

for the top six

Did he say what he was going to do for their second shift?

In the audio I heard he said he wanted to see Stafford with Leino and then mentioned Vanek-Roy-Pominville ... I missed if he ever said anything about the other guy with Leino. But he also said he likes lines on paper because he can throw them in the garbage ... so yeah, who knows after the first practice.

Archived