What are your lines to start the year?

Warriorspikes51

well the year has started and it makes no sense to start a new thread...

Vanek - Adam - Pommers seems to be great for now but time is the test of greatness so we will have to see how that goes.

The Roy line seems off and idk if its chemistry or just Roy is getting back into the flow of the game... I think a little of both so maybe they pull it together after a week of practice

Ennis an Leino i still believe in and just wonder if they will be given the time to find the net because they have been amazing at puck control

Any thoughts on our D lines?

Oh, boy: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/10/ruff-hecht-has-a-spot-when-healthy.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

This will f things up nicely. Unless he's in for McCormick or Kaleta (both of whom are RWs but who obviously play either side), no.

Oh, boy: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/10/ruff-hecht-has-a-spot-when-healthy.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fsabres+%28Sabres+Edge%29

This will f things up nicely. Unless he's in for McCormick or Kaleta (both of whom are RWs but who obviously play either side), no.

Has McCormick ever played on the right side in Buffalo? As far as I know he's only played on the left when he's played wing.

That 4th line has a role and the three guys on it are properly built for that role. Hecht is not. If it were me, Boyes would be more at risk to lose the spot than McCormick. And I don't think Boyes has played poorly enough to justify sitting him when the team is winning and looking good doing it.

Has McCormick ever played on the right side in Buffalo? As far as I know he's only played on the left when he's played wing.

That 4th line has a role and the three guys on it are properly built for that role. Hecht is not. If it were me, Boyes would be more at risk to lose the spot than McCormick. And I don't think Boyes has played poorly enough to justify sitting him when the team is winning and looking good doing it.

I apologize if I'm inferring incorrectly here, but it looks like you are both implying that Hecht should be healthy-scratched. If so, I must disagree. Hecht is a good player, albeit well overpaid. He has 2 20-goal seasons in his last 4 and is a top-pair forward on the PK. IMHO the Sabres really missed him in the playoffs the last 2 years. The Sabres will be protecting plenty of leads this year and grownups will be required.

There is simply no way to justify dressing McCormick over Hecht.

Maybe so; I haven't noticed. Still, he's listed as a RW (granted, that's on wikipedia). But, more importantly...

I apologize if I'm inferring incorrectly here, but it looks like you are both implying that Hecht should be healthy-scratched. If so, I must disagree. Hecht is a good player, albeit well overpaid. He has 2 20-goal seasons in his last 4 and is a top-pair forward on the PK. IMHO the Sabres really missed him in the playoffs the last 2 years. The Sabres will be protecting plenty of leads this year and grownups will be required.

That's the point. I guess Kaleta can stay on the right, then.

I think that there is justification for dressing McCormick over Hecht. That justification is that they play different roles and both roles should be represented on the roster if possible. IMO someone that shares a similar role to Hecht's should be in jeopardy of losing his spot.

IMO, If hechht replaces McCormick, Gerbe moves to the 4th line (now Gerbe Goose Kaleta) and they see more ice time. Hecht is on the left with Roy and Boyes.

That is what I expect as well.

I may be reading too much into that link but I found it interesting that there was some emphasis by the author on Hecht being a center. Could Hecht push Leino to the wing and really jumble things up? I wouldn't put it past Lindy, the 2nd line hasn't really clicked and the 3rd line hasn't clicked at all.

IMO, If hechht replaces McCormick, Gerbe moves to the 4th line (now Gerbe Goose Kaleta) and they see more ice time. Hecht is on the left with Roy and Boyes.

I agree 100%.

I may be reading too much into that link but I found it interesting that there was some emphasis by the author on Hecht being a center. Could Hecht push Leino to the wing and really jumble things up? I wouldn't put it past Lindy, the 2nd line hasn't really clicked and the 3rd line hasn't clicked at all.

We've only played two games, and those two games were against two very good teams. To say that two of our lines haven't clicked is both premature and IMO inaccurate. Stafford, Leino, and Gaustad have all scored goals. Gerbe, Boyes, and Roy all have assists. We are getting production beyond our top line.

Again, it has only been two games.

We've only played two games, and those two games were against two very good teams. To say that two of our lines haven't clicked is both premature and IMO inaccurate. Stafford, Leino, and Gaustad have all scored goals. Gerbe, Boyes, and Roy all have assists. We are getting production beyond our top line.

Good call.

I am very aware of where we are in the schedule. How many games in have no bearing on the fact that we have another skilled forward about ready to be inserted into the lineup and no obvious room for him at the moment.

The middle two line members may have points but all you have to do is look at the Day Trader thread to see that there is some measure of consensus that those two lines aren't working as well as we'd hoped. I'm not saying that we *need* to shake them up. I'm merely suggesting that it is an option that Lindy has. And I think it is reasonable for him to at least consider it.

How freaking great is it that we are fretting about where Joken Hecht fits in this lineup? Last season he was spending time as Vanek's center. Now he's looking more like a 3rd line winger. What a difference an offseason makes.

How freaking great is it that we are fretting about where Yoken Hesht fits in this lineup?

If you're going to spell his name American-like, at least do it all the way.

If I had to put Jochen anywhere, it'd be in Gerbe's spot. Then our fourth line would be Gerbe-Goose-Kaletta and McCormick would be the healthy scratch.

The only thing to remember about Leino-Ennis is that their puck control makes up for their current lack of offense and I think that control will in turn create the offense we expect from them. Moving Leino to wing and Hecht to center is a terrible idea, it did nothing for us last year and I have to believe it would do nothing for us this year other than make Ennis or Leino a 3rd line winger which is a joke in and of itself. Hecht-Roy-Boyes should be the line and then McCormick or who ever is injured sits. Of course now we are discussing removing McCormick and Weber from the lineup which leads to a whole new can of worms that has its own thread dedicated to it.

Or it's just to keep him sweet until they a) someone else goes down with an injury or b) trade him. They could always play 'we are taking it slow' card and not put him in the lineup for months to be 'cautious'. Guessing here really lol.

If you're going to spell his name American-like, at least do it all the way.

If I had to put Jochen anywhere, it'd be in Gerbe's spot. Then our fourth line would be Gerbe-Goose-Kaletta and McCormick would be the healthy scratch.

This seems to be the best plan. If you recall the Gerbe-Goose-Kaleta line was receiving all sorts of praise during the offseason for working together and looked potent in preseason. Gerbe has more than enough feistiness to play as the 4th line pest and gives that line some scoring spark.

• 4 weeks later...

Given 4 losses in 5 games I think I am ready to go back to something that more closely resembles what we had at the start of the season, 3 scoring lines and 1 banger line. Let's get rid of the 2 scoring lines/2 hybrid lines stuff we've got now. Granted, with Ennis down it makes it a little harder. Frankly, I'm ready to send Ellis down to Rochester and bring up a forward with scoring ability. We need someone with a skill set that might win us a game or at least get us on the board. Maybe it is Kassian, maybe it is someone else. They are only here until Ennis is back. The other issue is center. Obviously Leino isn't up to it. Hecht is down, maybe long term. I know it wasn't the best result last year but I think we need to put Boyes at center. Yeah, not ideal. Putting goose on a scoring line isn't ideal either. This is what I'm thinking....

Don't touch Vanek-Adam-Pommer

Take the mix of Boyes, Lieno, Roy, Stafford, Gerbe, *prospect* and make two scoring lines.

Reunite Mic-Goose-Krash

Something along the lines of:

Vanek-Adam-Pommer

Leino-Roy-Stafford

Gerbe-Boyes-*prospect* (most likely Kassian I assume judging by Roch stats)

Mic-Goose-Krash

Anyway, it isn't ideal but I don't think that Ellis is helping us do anything that results in wins. And even though they provide good pressure, Gerbe-Goose-Krash isn't an offensive threat at all. I think we are wasting the offensive talent Gerbe has. And we need offense right now. Gerbe can always go back with Goose and Krash to help eat ice time and forecheck late in games.

Food for thought. I'm not married to the idea above. More trying to spur conversation about how we juggle what we have to get more than 1 line working reasonably well.

Given 4 losses in 5 games I think I am ready to go back to something that more closely resembles what we had at the start of the season, 3 scoring lines and 1 banger line. Let's get rid of the 2 scoring lines/2 hybrid lines stuff we've got now. Granted, with Ennis down it makes it a little harder. Frankly, I'm ready to send Ellis down to Rochester and bring up a forward with scoring ability. We need someone with a skill set that might win us a game or at least get us on the board. Maybe it is Kassian, maybe it is someone else. They are only here until Ennis is back. The other issue is center. Obviously Leino isn't up to it. Hecht is down, maybe long term. I know it wasn't the best result last year but I think we need to put Boyes at center. Yeah, not ideal. Putting goose on a scoring line isn't ideal either. This is what I'm thinking....

Take the mix of Boyes, Lieno, Roy, Stafford, Gerbe, *prospect* and make two scoring lines.

Reunite Mic-Goose-Krash

Vanek-Adam-Pommer

Leino-Roy-Stafford

Mic-Goose-Krash

Anyway, it isn't ideal but I don't think that Ellis is helping us do anything that results in wins. And even though they provide good pressure, Gerbe-Goose-Krash isn't an offensive threat at all. I think we are wasting the offensive talent Gerbe has. And we need offense right now. Gerbe can always go back with Goose and Krash to help eat ice time and forecheck late in games.

Food for thought. I'm not married to the idea above. More trying to spur conversation about how we juggle what we have to get more than 1 line working reasonably well.

Replace Leino with Gerbe in your line setup and I agree with you. Gerbe is not being given the opportunity to show what he can do on that fourth line.

EDIT: I would also like to see Leino at center before seeing Boyes at center :-/.

Reunite Mic-Goose-Krash

Vanek-Adam-Pommer

Leino-Roy-Stafford

Mic-Goose-Krash

I'll bite.

Here is what I think needs to happen long term. The main problem I see is that the lines change every night and nobody has any chemistry as a result. Pick something and leave it for a while. New parts need time to gel.

Vanek - Adam - Pommers

Ennis - Roy - Stafford

Hecht - Leino - Boyes

Gerbe/McC - Goose - Kaleta

Obviously this is when everyone is healthy. And assuming Hecht ever gets healthy. In the meantime, McCormick takes the spot of Gerbe with Goose and Kaleta, Gerbe moves up to be the new mighty mouse on the Roy - Stafford line. Leino and Boyes get a prospect like Kassian who can crash the net (which is what Leino needs). Put similar players as replacements when guys go down (i.e. Gerbe replaces Ennis).

The most important part IMO is that the lines get some time to get some cohesion. Right now there is zero consistency on a game to game basis.

Replace Leino with Gerbe in your line setup and I agree with you. Gerbe is not being given the opportunity to show what he can do on that fourth line.

My thought with this is, Vanek-Roy-Staff have had success in the past. Playing style-wise, Leino is closer to Vanek than Gerbe is so maybe we can get some chemistry out of Leino-Roy-Staff. And if Leino is this great puck possession guy (a skill he hasn't really shown well so far IMO) he might be a good fit with Roy and Staff who are both shooters, and frankly, neither one of them are doing well with puck possession so far this season.

It took me longer to read this thread than any of these proposed lines will play together. Remember who is still behind the bench.

I posted this in September back on Page 1, and it is even more true today than it was back then.

That said, I agree with Weave on a couple things - 1) leave VAP alone 2) send Ellis back to Rochester and get a top six forward up here.

I like Roy, Staff and Leino as a second line. Roy is looking better every game, Staff played really hard last night, and Leino's effort was much improved last night. Leave that line alone and let them figure it out - they are due for a breakout game.

I disagree entirely though on Boyes. He was atrocious at center last year, and I never want to see him at the pivot again. I would rather see Goose centering the third line - a third line of Goose, Gerbe and Boyes would work.

McCormick can center the fourth line of Kaleta and Ellis, since Lindy won't return my phone calls on line suggestions and send his boy Ellis back to Roch. Lindy has also asked me to stop leaving lineup card taped to his front door. Well, it was technically the Erie County Sheriff's Office, but they claimed it was Lindy. I think it was his bitch of a wife. Is it my fault she likes to get dressed in front of the window with the curtains open?

I posted this in September back on Page 1, and it is even more true today than it was back then.

That said, I agree with Weave on a couple things - 1) leave VAP alone 2) send Ellis back to Rochester and get a top six forward up here.

I like Roy, Staff and Leino as a second line. Roy is looking better every game, Staff played really hard last night, and Leino's effort was much improved last night. Leave that line alone and let them figure it out - they are due for a breakout game.

I disagree entirely though on Boyes. He was atrocious at center last year, and I never want to see him at the pivot again. I would rather see Goose centering the third line - a third line of Goose, Gerbe and Boyes would work.

McCormick can center the fourth line of Kaleta and Ellis, since Lindy won't return my phone calls on line suggestions and send his boy Ellis back to Roch. Lindy has also asked me to stop leaving lineup card taped to his front door. Well, it was technically the Erie County Sheriff's Office, but they claimed it was Lindy. I think it was his bitch of a wife. Is it my fault she likes to get dressed in front of the window with the curtains open?

Good post. And it's not your fault, it's Miller's fault (somehow).

Lines are back to "normal" at practice this morning:

Van-Adam-Pommer

Roy Leino Stafford

Gerbe Goose Kaleta

Ellis McC and Boyes

LR says they are still splitting goalies this weekend.

did he mention which game which goalie is playing by chance? I know you usually say if you know, but worth asking :D

Archived