F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Today is my last day at the company I've been with for the last 14 years. It's bittersweet leaving the corporate behemoth world and the bit of security it has provided, to join a small company that has some boom or bust potential. They're bumping my pay 20% and are giving me options that could yield a nice nest egg should the company ultimately get bought, but there's also the risk everything could go to pot. Ultimately I decided that I was stagnating in my current role and it was time for some risk.

I had my exit interview, and although I could have lambasted some people and practices, I decided to take the high road and not risk burning any bridges, but oh man was it ever tempting.

About an hour to go and I'll be heading down the street to the pub with a few, now former, co-workers to enjoy some beers. F'N fantastic!

Congratulations!

As someone has moved through six different job scenarios in 15 months (without being laid off, fired or hired) after 15 years in the same position, I am ready for some stability.

Thing is, I've been told flat out my current position is temporary.

Have a job interview this afternoon and then headed to San Francisco for the weekend after work.  Nervous for the interview, but excited as well.

Oh yeah -- my tax refund should be deposited on Monday!  Huzzah!

Edited by biodork

Have a job interview this afternoon and then headed to San Francisco for the weekend after work. Nervous for the interview, but excited as well.

Oh yeah -- my tax refund should be deposited on Monday! Huzzah!

Awesome. Good luck.

And if you are so inclined, Pointe Lobos in Carmel and Pfeiffer in Big Sur are both amazingly beautiful state parks.

Awesome. Good luck.

And if you are so inclined, Pointe Lobos in Carmel and Pfeiffer in Big Sur are both amazingly beautiful state parks.

Thanks!  Tomorrow we're thinking about taking the ferry over to Sausolito, walking around the Marin Headlands and Battery Spencer, and then coming back over the Golden Gate bridge.  Haven't totally decided on Sunday... was considering Alcatraz, but I'll keep these in mind.  Should be nice weather so I'm looking forward to it.

Rent a bike at Fishermans Wharf if the weather is nice and ride across the GG bridge to Sausolito instead. It's not hard and really fun. Put bike on Ferry and ride back past Alcatraz. Usually if you haven't pre-bought tickets to Alcatraz they package other stuff to make it really expensive or are sold out......I could be wrong. Bike ride is awesome.

Rent a bike at Fishermans Wharf if the weather is nice and ride across the GG bridge to Sausolito instead. It's not hard and really fun. Put bike on Ferry and ride back past Alcatraz. Usually if you haven't pre-bought tickets to Alcatraz they package other stuff to make it really expensive or are sold out......I could be wrong. Bike ride is awesome.

Interesting -- will check that out!  And yeah, the tickets to Alcatraz are a little pricey, but the ferry isn't bad.

The insurance company finally approved my dad's hyperbaric therapy! He's been waiting almost 3 weeks for a decision, but he starts on Tuesday next week. Hopefully this will make a difference and allow him to finish healing from the radiation therapy.

• 2 weeks later...

Took out $300 American and it cost me $417 Canadian.  Ouch.

The banks are crooks.

The $ is trading at around 74 cents (give, or take) in Toronto.

It costs like $1.35 to buy $1 US.  CROOKS, I say.

=====

EDIT TO ADD:

If you use a credit card the exchange rate is favourable.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The banks are crooks.

The $ is trading at around 74 cents (give, or take) in Toronto.

It costs like $1.35 to buy $1 US.  CROOKS, I say.

=====

EDIT TO ADD:

If you use a credit card the exchange rate is favourable.

Hmmmmm, maybe I'll toss some on the plastic then.  Thanks for the heads up on that.

Going to Disney Land!! 

Long story short my wife just got a new job and gets zero vacation for a year (paid and unpaid).  She doesn't start until April 18th.  We had a trip booked to Myrtle Beach in May that I cancelled (and only lost around $10 on deposit which is great).  So we decided it, let's take the kids to Disney before she starts while we have the chance.  I'm trying to book everything last minute as we leave next Friday for 2 weeks.  So F'N excited!  Only downside is I'll be missing some Sabres games.....

Been back at the barn for a couple weeks now- we just rescued 11 minis from a bad situation- made the news around here. The last time this happened, the little b@stards were all feral and it was a f*cking nightmare. These are all pretty sound it seems, just very thin, covered in lice, and quite a few pregnant. One of them was still covered in blood from giving birth 2 days before the seizure. Foal didn't make it. 

So it's all hands on deck, and it's good to be helpful again. Got a couple big horses that are a huge handful- one almost kicked the barn director in the head last week- so that'll be fun! 

And hey, this weather- love it. Spring break last year (late march) had me at a frozen over Letchworth in 12 degrees. I'll take this. Hopefully a few more weeks and I can try skating again! 

Going to Disney Land!! 

Long story short my wife just got a new job and gets zero vacation for a year (paid and unpaid).  She doesn't start until April 18th.  We had a trip booked to Myrtle Beach in May that I cancelled (and only lost around $10 on deposit which is great).  So we decided ###### it, let's take the kids to Disney before she starts while we have the chance.  I'm trying to book everything last minute as we leave next Friday for 2 weeks.  So F'N excited!  Only downside is I'll be missing some Sabres games.....

Was just there in December. Wallet is still angry with me, but it was worth it to watch the kiddo have a blast. Enjoy.

Going to Disney Land!! 

Long story short my wife just got a new job and gets zero vacation for a year (paid and unpaid).  She doesn't start until April 18th.  We had a trip booked to Myrtle Beach in May that I cancelled (and only lost around $10 on deposit which is great).  So we decided ###### it, let's take the kids to Disney before she starts while we have the chance.  I'm trying to book everything last minute as we leave next Friday for 2 weeks.  So F'N excited!  Only downside is I'll be missing some Sabres games.....

If you mean DisneyWORLD in Orlando, let me know. I'll buy you and/or your family a drink/dinner. I'm not the most exciting reason to visit Florida, but I'm a good host! Probably an hour from me. I live in a car. I'll be in Orlando with MrsNeo 3/18 through 3/19 for a wedding that Friday night.

Was just there in December. Wallet is still angry with me, but it was worth it to watch the kiddo have a blast. Enjoy.

Oh ya.  Just started booking some spots and holy the park admissions are expensive.  We're gonna do 3 days at Disney World and one day at Universal, SeaWorld and Lego Land.  Almost $2,000 for ticket admissions.  Ouch.

If you mean DisneyWORLD in Orlando, let me know. I'll buy you and/or your family a drink/dinner. I'm not the most exciting reason to visit Florida, but I'm a good host! Probably an hour from me. I live in a car. I'll be in Orlando with MrsNeo 3/18 through 3/19 for a wedding that Friday night.

Hahhahaha, man I'd love meeting up with another Sabrespacer.  We leave 3/18 but won't be in Orlando until the evening of 3/19.  I'll be coming off 24 straight hours of driving with two young kids......If you're around the next weekend I could be up for it if the kids haven't driven me crazy.  Actually, that's a good excuse to get out for a couple of hours.

Derrico,

You call that a downside ...  ;)

=====

SNOW DAYS ...

Very nice!

It's been an annoying week, but shaping up to be a good couple of days on tap:

- It snowed here today and I get to go snowboarding on Sunday (hooray for the mountains!).

- I have an interview on Monday morning for a job I'd applied to in early Feb. and forgotten about.  I may not be able to take the position (depends on a lot of things), but it sounds like a really interesting group and either way it's good to network for the future and to know my resume is getting some attention.

- My friend and former labmate in PA is defending his PhD thesis next Wed., so I'm going back for a quick trip to see his final seminar.  It'll be nice to catch up with he and my old boss, and I'll get to fit in a day with my dad and stepmom in the same trip as a bonus.

Bring on the weekend!

Here, here, Bio!

Last day was today.  Goodbyes were more difficult than I expected.  Lots of really good people there that I truly enjoyed working with.  Lots of positive feedback on my time there.  And a few folks added to my personal contact list.

I'm super excited to be moving on, but I am going to miss that place, and the people.  They were nothing but good to me, even if the corporation itself wasn't.

Old GrandDad 114 in my glass.  Drinking to the future today.