F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

As done as it can possibly be without an actual ring on her finger (so I guess it's not done at all). But yeah, it's happening, we both know it. It's just a matter of when.

Awesome. Congratulations.

Here's some unsolicited advice on married life: pick the 2 or 3 things you REALLY care about and give in on everything else.

As done as it can possibly be without an actual ring on her finger (so I guess it's not done at all). But yeah, it's happening, we both know it. It's just a matter of when.

Congrats, but ...

Maybe you should get down on your knee ... once she accepts, perhaps you could shop for the ring together. That's what we did and my wife really liked having input on the ring ... she is the one that is wearing it. And, no she didn't go crazy on it, either.

car shopping in a couple weeks

whatcha looking at?

Good question! You got advice? :flirt:

I'm looking at used, maybe in the 2006-2010 range. Spending $12k max, but hoping to get something for less (could pay up front if I could swing ~$9000).

Really, I just want something that will be reliable for maybe six years (or until I own a house with a garage to put a new car in). And I don't need anything fancy; probably just a sedan that's not tiny and that is decent on gas.

I'm looking at Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan... I'm not really set on anything particular so I'm pretty open to suggestions. :) Maybe I need to go digging for d4rk's domestic/foreign threads, eh?

Edit: Good luck, Liger. And congrats, Shrader, that is certainly Fantastic!

Edited by Cereal

I'm looking at used, maybe in the 2006-2010 range. Spending $12k max, but hoping to get something for less (could pay up front if I could swing ~$9000).

Really, I just want something that will be reliable for maybe six years (or until I own a house with a garage to put a new car in). And I don't need anything fancy; probably just a sedan that's not tiny and that is decent on gas.

I'm looking at Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan... I'm not really set on anything particular so I'm pretty open to suggestions. :) Maybe I need to go digging for d4rk's domestic/foreign threads, eh?

Nissan Sentra GXE.

Edit: Good luck, Liger. And congrats, Shrader, that is certainly Fantastic!

There are really a lot of good sedans to choose from. I think this is the segment where you get the most car for your money. My advice:

- get a car with less than 30K miles

- check the Carfax report and stay away if it's been in an accident

- go on the AAA website, find an independent mechanic to inspect the car and get the inspection before buying (I did this last summer and it was only $20)

- if you have kids, get leather seats

- don't get rear-wheel drive -- ie get either AWD or FWD

- don't spend money to get the built-in navigation system

- 2 minor options that really go a long way are bluetooth connection for your cell phone and an auxiliary input for the car stereo to connect your ipod.

good luck.

Congrats, but ...

Maybe you should get down on your knee ... once she accepts, perhaps you could shop for the ring together. That's what we did and my wife really liked having input on the ring ... she is the one that is wearing it. And, no she didn't go crazy on it, either.

She's in the process of looking. I'm not entirely sure when I will be brought in on that process, but I'm not worried.

She's in the process of looking. I'm not entirely sure when I will be brought in on that process, but I'm not worried.

You will be brought in when its time to write the check.

And you should be worried.

Oh, and congrats. I have some words of advice too, but you are in love and won't heed them, so I won't bother.

There are really a lot of good sedans to choose from. I think this is the segment where you get the most car for your money. My advice:

- go on the AAA website, find an independent mechanic to inspect the car and get the inspection before buying (I did this last summer and it was only $20)

- 2 minor options that really go a long way are bluetooth connection for your cell phone and an auxiliary input for the car stereo to connect your ipod.

good luck.

This is all great advice.

Since you don't appear to be an enthusiast, reliability would seem to be your primary concern. In light of that, and considering the years you intend to keep the vehicle, stay with Toyota or Honda, avoid Nissan, and run like hell from a Hyunda, anything else made in Korea, or any other discount brand.

Edited by korab rules

good luck.

This is all great advice.

Since you don't appear to be an enthusiast, reliability would seem to be your primary concern. In light of that, and considering the years you intend to keep the vehicle, stay with Toyota or Honda, avoid Nissan, and run like hell from a Hyunda, anything else made in Korea, or any other discount brand.

Thanks, guys.

I plan on going to dealerships. It seems most have the Carfax available by default. And what's the word on "certified pre-owned"? You think getting a third-party mechanic involved even with a dealership is necessary?

Korab -- I actually meant Mazda (not Nissan), any word on Mazdas? And as far as Hyundai goes, the 2010 consumer reports guide has got great reviews on most Hyundai models. Cheaper and pretty basic cars, what's not to like (seriously... I have gotten a few recommendations on them)? Kia... I don't trust, haha. Acura is also another make that's on my mind.

Also I have heard that I can get much better price by saying up front my goal price which I can pay entirely on site right now. Truth? Thanks again...

Edited by Cereal

Exactly. I think the most important thing for me from the very start of this journey was knowing that I needed to make permanent lifestyle changes, not just "go on a diet". Dieting is fine for losing weight, but absolutely useless for maintaining it long term. I was in no hurry, and I averaged less than 1lb per week. There were many weeks that I gained a lb or two. But over time my losses exceeded my gains, and here I am. And it's not over, there is no finish line. But that's OK. It's totally worth it.

I'm striving to be the 5%. That is how many people who lose weight actually keep it off. Sobering statistic, but hey somebody has to be that 1 in 20, it might as well be me. :)

Thanks to everybody for the kudos, I sincerely appreciate all of your words of encouragement.

Oh, and also...it's 51 degrees and sunny on Jan 6th in Buffalo, NY.

F'N FANTASTIC!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Awesome on all counts!!!

Hyundai has improved greatly over the last half-decade or so in reliability, I would not flat-out rule them out. They are still a step below Honda, Toyota and Subaru, but they are also cheaper so you have to weigh that.

The #1 piece of advice I would offer is to get a Consumer Reports Car Buying Guide and use it.

Thanks, guys.

I plan on going to dealerships. It seems most have the Carfax available by default. And what's the word on "certified pre-owned"? You think getting a third-party mechanic involved even with a dealership is necessary?

Korab -- I actually meant Mazda (not Nissan), any word on Mazdas? And as far as Hyundai goes, the 2010 consumer reports guide has got great reviews on most Hyundai models. Cheaper and pretty basic cars, what's not to like (seriously... I have gotten a few recommendations on them)? Kia... I don't trust, haha.

Also I have heard that I can get much better price by saying up front my goal price which I can pay entirely on site right now. Truth? Thanks again...

Mazdas aren't bad cars, but they aren't on the same reliability plane as Hondas and Toyotas. Hyundais have excellent initial quality, their problem is down the road. They are not built for the long haul the way Hondas and Toyotas are. You might also consider a Ford. Their quality keeps going up and up.

Since you are looking at a car several years old and intend to keep it far longer, its the long term reliability you need to worry about.

Certified pre-owned means its passed an inspection by the dealer - usually gets you an extended factory warranty, which is a good thing.

And no, I would never, ever tell them what your price is. You pick the car, and then negotiate the price on that car only. Be prepared to walk away, and it doesn't hurt to do it and give them another chance to meet your price a few days later. But then again, I am a bastard when it comes to buying cars.

Hyundai has improved greatly over the last half-decade or so in reliability, I would not flat-out rule them out. They are still a step below Honda, Toyota and Subaru, but they are also cheaper so you have to weigh that.

The #1 piece of advice I would offer is to get a Consumer Reports Car Buying Guide and use it.

Consumer reports reviews of cars reflects what AARP folks think of them, not young college graduates. This explains the continued existence of Buick.

Hyundai and KIA are owned by Hyundai . There is a KIA plant here in GA that just had a large expansion completed. They now can pump out more vehicles per day. I've owned 2 Hyundai's the Elantra and now I've a Tuscon as does my wife. We love 'em ,the warranty the price . My Elantra got 137K before I traded it and I never had a problem so even a used Hyundai would be a good bet. My FN Friday news is my toddler daughter went for her 1st offical diaperless week!!! We have a goal horn for when she goes

Edited by 2ForTripping

Subarus are reliable cars, and used models that are few years (greater than 2) shouldn't be too expensive. My friend bought a 6 year old Subaru, had about 70K miles, and ran just like it was new for 3 years, until big ol' Bambi decided to commit suicide about a month ago. Deer was big enough that the entire hood crumpled, and the frame got torqued to the point that the insurance company totaled the car. safety features all worked though. It was great with the snow, and it was the car I actually learned to drive manual with.

Thanks, guys.

Korab -- I actually meant Mazda (not Nissan), any word on Mazdas? And as far as Hyundai goes, the 2010 consumer reports guide has got great reviews on most Hyundai models. Cheaper and pretty basic cars, what's not to like (seriously... I have gotten a few recommendations on them)? Kia... I don't trust, haha. Acura is also another make that's on my mind.

FWIW, I bought a used Mazda this summer and am very happy with it so far.

As for certified pre-owned, I would try to do this, but I would still get the independent mechanic. It doesn't cost much and more importantly you just can't trust the dealer.

One other suggestion: get a car that takes regular unleaded, not premium (my previous car was an Acura and it took premium).

You will be brought in when its time to write the check.

And you should be worried.

Oh, and congrats. I have some words of advice too, but you are in love and won't heed them, so I won't bother.

Hilarious. :clapping:

But really, I'm not too worried. I've been clued in a bit and she's not going to clean out the bank account.

I have a 2011 Sonata and it's great. Obviously it's still early, but so far it's a great car.

Consumer reports reviews of cars reflects what AARP folks think of them, not young college graduates. This explains the continued existence of Buick.

:lol:

Point taken, but still...where else can you go to get independent reliability ratings for every model of car for the last decade, broken down by individual car components (engine, tranny, body integrity, etc)? If there is another source please let me know.

Subarus are reliable cars, and used models that are few years (greater than 2) shouldn't be too expensive. My friend bought a 6 year old Subaru, had about 70K miles, and ran just like it was new for 3 years, until big ol' Bambi decided to commit suicide about a month ago. Deer was big enough that the entire hood crumpled, and the frame got torqued to the point that the insurance company totaled the car. safety features all worked though. It was great with the snow, and it was the car I actually learned to drive manual with.

I'm on my second Subaru, the first had 194k I only had to replace the O2 sensor ($200) and one brake caliper ($60) other than wear and tear items. Absolutely loved that car. The new one only has 15k on it, so it doesn't count (but I love it too).

:lol:

Point taken, but still...where else can you go to get independent reliability ratings for every model of car for the last decade, broken down by individual car components (engine, tranny, body integrity, etc)? If there is another source please let me know.

JD Power's is what the industry uses to gauge itself against the competition. They are unbiased.

I work in the auto industry. I'll admit to having some bias. I'll also add that as far as recall and defect rates go, Toyota isn't what she used to be. And Ford and GM are now right up there with Toyota. I won't pimp out my employer and I'll admit that Honda is probably THE tier 1 auto maker. Toyota, Ford, GM are all probably close enough to be equals at this point. Hyundai is a tick behind but jeez, they've got the best warranty in the business and that sure is piece of mind in and of itself.

JD Power's is what the industry uses to gauge itself against the competition. They are unbiased.

Thanks. A quick google search for "jd powers used car ratings" yielded some helpful results, so I searched their ratings for my vehicle (2002 Subaru Forester). After what initially appeared to be ratings similar to what CR offers, I realized that their Overall Dependability (long-term) ratings are only projections based on problems reported during the first three years. As far as I can tell, that's not as accurate as the way CR does it, and not nearly long-term enough for someone like me who always buys cars that are older than three years-old. But still, thanks for pointing me to an additional resource.

Thanks. A quick google search for "jd powers used car ratings" yielded some helpful results, so I searched their ratings for my vehicle (2002 Subaru Forester). After what initially appeared to be ratings similar to what CR offers, I realized that their Overall Dependability (long-term) ratings are only projections based on problems reported during the first three years. As far as I can tell, that's not as accurate as the way CR does it, and not nearly long-term enough for someone like me who always buys cars that are older than three years-old. But still, thanks for pointing me to an additional resource.

Their statistical methods and resulting reports are THE standard in many industries. 'nuff said.

Edited by weave

Their statistical methods and resulting reports are THE standard in many industries. 'nuff said.

Sorry Weave, do you work for them or something? :) I politely raised a legitimate difference that I found between the two, one which appears to favor CR pretty significantly for a huge number of people like me who like to (or have to) buy older cars. I didn't mean to argue with you about it, but if I'm wrong about the point I raised then please let me know (I may very well be, as I only looked at their site very briefly).

Edited by cdexchange

Sorry Weave, do you work for them or something? :) I politely raised a legitimate difference that I found between the two, one which appears to favor CR pretty significantly for a huge number of people like me who like to (or have to) buy older cars. I didn't mean to argue with you about it, but if I'm wrong about the point I raised then please let me know (I may very well be, as I only looked at their site very briefly).

Using short term failure statistics to project failure rates long term is commonly accepted in nearly all of product development and manufacturing. And I'll go as far as to suggest that CR probably doesn't have enough anecdotal data to have the reliability that JDPowers has.

Really, it makes sense to use data from both sources. They are both well respected. I guess I am trying to impress that auot manufacturers purchase JD Power data to use internally. If the data is good enough for manufacturers to make billion dollar decisions with.........

And no, I work for an auto manufacturer. I have no links to JDPowers. :angel: