An open letter to Mr. Ted Black/ MSG

SabresHD

Isn't all this moot? I thought the FCC already ruled that Cablevision had to offer MSG in HD to fios and that it would be available by November. I would have said something sooner but this was kinda fun to watch.

I think you'll find that the reason for the reaction you are getting is directly related to your delivery. This site occassionally gets posters with a monetary agenda. Generally they have the same MO as you, they create a handle that emphasises their product, start a thread with their very first post to discuss their product, and don't post in any threads other than the one they are using to shout about their product. I'll give you credit, when their threads don't get what they hoped most of them don't stick around long enough to troll.

Give me an example of a more important thread than THE FANS' ABILITY TO WATCH THE GAMES. Rants about Tim Connolly when he was still here? I usually save my random thoughts on Vanek and Myers for my family and friends. However, I posted a few random thoughts earlier in the thread.

Give me an example of a more important thread than THE FANS' ABILITY TO WATCH THE GAMES. Rants about Tim Connolly when he was still here? I usually save my random thoughts on Vanek and Myers for my family and friends. However, I posted a few random thoughts earlier in the thread.

I admire your enthusiasm, but other threads such as the game day threads where the lines are discussed, possible scores, etc, any of the OT threads (there's a ton of them), or even the "Around the NHL thread" are all fun threads discussing the Sabres. It's not all rants or random thoughts. It's good, usually well researched (or attempted at least) discussions.

Like I said, Lunatic Fringe.

Anyway, I despise MSG for their tactics and TW for multiple reasons but you seem to be overlooking the fact they MSG has a contract with the Sabres. Remember also there was a time when we were grateful that MSG picked up the Sabres. Of course that was before HD was being piped into peoples homes but the fact is they have a contract. You cant just throw it out. Yes Black can attempt to persuade them to let them out of it but it would not happen overnight and surely not this season AND becomes moot if the existing court challenges against MSG hold up and I expect they will and MSG will be forced to provide the feed to every carrier.

p.s. your talking to an uneductaed guy here who hates math and I think flunked Algebra, wait no no I just left. I have no desire to figure out what the hell you do based on all that code you put in the thread.

Lets try this, hi, my name is Willy. What do you do?

Hi Willy,

I'm glad you despise MSG for doing this, which is why I wanted this discussed out in the open, for them to see. For the Sabres to see.

The Sabres had a contract with the Portland Pirates. What did they do? They made moves to switch to Rochester. This shows that things can be done when the incentive is in place.

Don't put yourself down for your education. Many people flunk Algebra because our schools are garbage. Which is why I have made so much money on the side as a math tutor.

I'm a writer and an economist mainly. Just taking up this effort during some time off. That's how much I love the Sabres and hate MSG. I didn't want to say too much because I don't want to explain why the Obama spending plan failed. I want to talk about MSG screwing the Sabre fans.

Alex

No I didn't. This is the main message board for the Sabres. You're naive if you think that the Sabres PR department doesn't read this stuff. Sending it to him directly would be a waste, because I want all fans to know what MSG is doing. How would I know if the inters would have the guts to show it to him? Do you have a better way? I'd love to know?

What a cop out. Why can't you post the issue here AND send it to Ted Black? Over the summer, I sent a letter to his attention, and received a written response. I suggest you do the same...or STFU already!

What a cop out. Why can't you post the issue here and sent it to Ted Black? Over the summer, I sent a letter to his attention, and received a written response. I suggest you do the same...or STFU already!

Tedd Black is pretty cool then. I would love to send him a letter and resume begging him for a job, I would be his coffee getter or bag carrier or general helper... he is the type of guy I would love to work for some day, especially since I graduate in 7 weeks

What a cop out. Why can't you post the issue here AND send it to Ted Black? Over the summer, I sent a letter to his attention, and received a written response. I suggest you do the same...or STFU already!

Read some posts in this thread and my first thread. Other people are mad at MSG because I informed them about the news stories. Private letters only work for very powerful people, so they are a waste of time for something like this. MSG would love it if I did STFU. How about directing your anger at MSG for trying to pull the plug on Sabres fans instead of killing the messenger?

Read some posts in this thread and my first thread. Other people are mad at MSG because I informed them about the news stories. Private letters only work for very powerful people, so they are a waste of time for something like this. MSG would love it if I did STFU. How about directing your anger at MSG for trying to pull the plug on Sabres fans instead of killing the messenger?

This is too much fun to stay out of. Being mad at MSG will do no good, they have a contract, and they are just trying to maximize their potential earnings. In order to get out of the contract, I'm sure Mr. Pegula would have to cut hefty check and they would be made more than whole and still have plenty of hockey to broadcast. You should direct your anger at the Sabres for signing the contract in the first place, without HD signal guarantees for the Rochester and Buffalo markets. The blew it. How could they have so little regard for the fans? Of course, it was awfully nice to be able to watch the games at all once Adelphia hit the ######-er.

This is too much fun to stay out of. Being mad at MSG will do no good, they have a contract, and they are just trying to maximize their potential earnings. In order to get out of the contract, I'm sure Mr. Pegula would have to cut hefty check and they would be made more than whole and still have plenty of hockey to broadcast. You should direct your anger at the Sabres for signing the contract in the first place, without HD signal guarantees for the Rochester and Buffalo markets. The blew it. How could they have so little regard for the fans? Of course, it was awfully nice to be able to watch the games at all once Adelphia hit the ######-er.

Let's direct the blame where it belongs. Larry Quinn was bad news. So glad he's gone. I know it's an uphill battle, but I think that Mr. Black and Mr. Pegula care enough to do something. I just hope that the Sabres don't extend this terrible deal with MSG. Why bring them in for a cut of the money? This can all be done locally. The question is, would the increased revenue from higher TV ratings make it worth getting out of this horrible contract.

Isn't all this moot? I thought the FCC already ruled that Cablevision had to offer MSG in HD to fios and that it would be available by November. I would have said something sooner but this was kinda fun to watch.

Not moot. MSG is fighting the ruling in court. That is why I wrote the open letter. What do you think of MSG for doing this?

Since this is a Ted Black thread (sort of), I have a question for him.

The other night I went to my first Sabres game of the year. The organist was using a different tone on the organ than he has been since I can remember. Only with a few minutes left in the game did he change over to the traditional tone for a "let's go Buffalo" chant.

I was at the game with a fellow "musician" with a good ear. He said that the tone was the same as the organ in the old Pitt arena. My question is....is it possible that a request was made to the organist to use the other tone instead of the one that I am almost positive he has used for years? And if so, who requested it.

I am being serious by the way.......

Since this is a Ted Black thread (sort of), I have a question for him.

The other night I went to my first Sabres game of the year. The organist was using a different tone on the organ than he has been since I can remember. Only with a few minutes left in the game did he change over to the traditional tone for a "let's go Buffalo" chant.

I was at the game with a fellow "musician" with a good ear. He said that the tone was the same as the organ in the old Pitt arena. My question is....is it possible that a request was made to the organist to use the other tone instead of the one that I am almost positive he has used for years? And if so, who requested it.

I am being serious by the way.......

This is an absolutely fantastic question. I'm a musician and had similar questions about the tone of the organ during the anthems tonight.

This is an absolutely fantastic question. I'm a musician and had similar questions about the tone of the organ during the anthems tonight.

We need Chz to get on the organ.....Pronto!

Really though.....why would you change the tone? My buddy had a girlfriend in Pitt and they would go to games, and I trust his ear as much as mine. When he said it sounded like the organ in the Igloo...I mean, I was just joking that Pegula told him to do it. That grating jazz/pipe organ sound is a tradition.

We need Chz to get on the organ.....Pronto!

Really though.....why would you change the tone? My buddy had a girlfriend in Pitt and they would go to games, and I trust his ear as much as mine. When he said it sounded like the organ in the Igloo...I mean, I was just joking that Pegula told him to do it. That grating jazz/pipe organ sound is a tradition.

For a second there I thought it Diane Bish playing the anthems.

I'm not ambitious enough to read through six pages of this, so sorry if this has already been answered.

Is this dispute why I've watched nine games on my centre ice package this year and have yet to hear Harry and RJ?

No need to read it all. I wrote a letter begging the Sabres to end the deal with MSG, so we can all hear Harry and RJ and see the games in HD or SD, anyway we want. I figure that all Sabre fans would benefit from a new broadcast deal done locally. You may find this strange, but all these guys got together and attacked me for pages, because they question the absolute purity of my motives. They don't think MSG is the problem when they try to pull the plug on Sabre fans like you. They think that I am the problem for telling them about MSG's tactics. Their minds are as clear as mud. My mind is as clear as a HD picture through a fiber optic line, which Time Warner does not have in 2011.

No need to read it all. I wrote a letter begging the Sabres to end the deal with MSG, so we can all hear Harry and RJ and see the games in HD or SD, anyway we want. I figure that all Sabre fans would benefit from a new broadcast deal done locally. You may find this strange, but all these guys got together and attacked me for pages, because they question the absolute purity of my motives. They don't think MSG is the problem when they try to pull the plug on Sabre fans like you. They think that I am the problem for telling them about MSG's tactics. Their minds are as clear as mud. My mind is as clear as a HD picture through a fiber optic line, which Time Warner does not have in 2011.

What was that about noone questioning your logic again? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us who think that the ability to watch the games matters, there is an update in the MSG HD situation.

Verizon said they will have MSG HD in a month, but not if MSG succeeds in pulling the plug on Sabres fans. Here is what MSG said:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/verizonmsg111611.htm

"We are pursuing a stay with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals while we seek a review of the Orders. We continue to believe that an unbiased review of the data can only result in one conclusion: that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies. In a highly competitive marketplace like New York, a forced sharing of offerings only deters companies from investing and innovating, which hurts both fair competition and consumers. Verizon and AT&T should be expected to compete based on their products and not by manipulating federal law."

To interpret, Cablevision has not given up despite the FCC's order. The cable operator will try to persuade the Court of Appeals to block the FCC's order until a further review can be done in court.

Here is an article on another Time Warner rate increase.

http://www.wgrz.com/rss/article/140336/13/Time-Warner-Cable-Rate-Hike

This article claims that Dish Network will be in the dark for a long long time.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article635958.ece

I wonder what it would take for the Sabres to end the terrible deal that Larry Quinn got us in.

For those of us who think that the ability to watch the games matters, there is an update in the MSG HD situation.

Verizon said they will have MSG HD in a month, but not if MSG succeeds in pulling the plug on Sabres fans. Here is what MSG said:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/verizonmsg111611.htm

"We are pursuing a stay with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals while we seek a review of the Orders. We continue to believe that an unbiased review of the data can only result in one conclusion: that there has been no competitive harm to the nation's two largest phone companies. In a highly competitive marketplace like New York, a forced sharing of offerings only deters companies from investing and innovating, which hurts both fair competition and consumers. Verizon and AT&T should be expected to compete based on their products and not by manipulating federal law."

To interpret, Cablevision has not given up despite the FCC's order. The cable operator will try to persuade the Court of Appeals to block the FCC's order until a further review can be done in court.

http://www.wgrz.com/rss/article/140336/13/Time-Warner-Cable-Rate-Hike

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article635958.ece

I wonder what it would take for the Sabres to end the terrible deal that Larry Quinn got us in.

Sounds like a lot of propaganda.

Sounds like a lot of propaganda.

Yep. FWIW, I've watched just about every game thus far (non-VS, at least) via GameCenter (the internet Center Ice) with both feeds available in semi-HD. It's way better than SD that I was getting thru Comcast's CI package, but not as good as true 1080i that I was getting for the national games. I'm not sure the problem is that MSG isn't giving the feed to the NHL, but that your local cable can chose what's sent out.*

* I'm making the assumption that the NHL acts as a hub for the broadcasts, providing the feeds for the cable operators to use. I could be wrong. I suppose each sports provider (MSG, Fox Sports, etc.) has to work with each cable provider (Comcast, GMP, etc.), but that seems really messy.

http://www.tvpredict...onmsg111611.htm

http://www.wgrz.com/...Cable-Rate-Hike

http://www.buffalone...ticle635958.ece

Damn. Got excited when I read the brief column in the Buffalo News the other day that said Verizon users were finally going to get the HD feeds. I actually look forward to the Versus games if only so I can see the games in HD. I miss my DirecTV, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived