An open letter to Mr. Ted Black/ MSG

SabresHD

Dear Mr. Black,

The Sabres should end the contract with MSG and broadcast every game on a local broadcast channel such as channel 49 or channel 67 in 720p at 60 frames per second. The MSG network is not serving the needs of Sabres fans in terms of availability or quality. Did anyone in the organization anticipate the terrible situation that existed for so many fans last season? We have all been caught in a power struggle between service providers. The monopoly power of cable companies is being preserved at the expense of hockey fans all over North America. The HD and SD signal should be available to all Sabres fans whenever technically possible, regardless of the service provider. In a few years, all NHL games will be broadcast exclusively in HD. What can Sabre fans expect until that transition is complete? This is what I'm afraid of

1) Dish Network subscribers will not be able to watch Sabres games at all for the next several seasons.

2) Verizon FIOS subscribers will not have access to the Sabres in HD until the transition to pure HD is complete.

3) Direct TV might have the plug pulled on them by MSG whenever it suits Cablevision.

4) The thousands of fans that watch every Bills game over the air can't watch the Sabres in the same way.

I watched many games on Time Warner channel 700 and the quality was about as low as a HD broadcast can get. I was irratated by the regular pulsating pixel cycle that peaked about every six seconds and the audio drop outs that could last for an entire period. Which fans are getting a good deal from MSG?

If it's true that MSG is in violation of FCC rules by withholding signals to different providers in the past then how can they be honoring your contract? Illegal acts are part of the deal? How can this behavior not be in violation of the spirit of the contract? Would the Sabres want to extend the current contract with this history? Is anyone in the organization happy with this situation?

Obviously, you can't create another Empire Sports Network. When I was a little boy, the sabres were broadcast on channel 2. Original network programming would not be interupted on channel 49, since they show re-runs and infomercials 24/7. This sounds like a good idea when it's not hockey time.

Full of hope,

Alex

p.s. If you google "I hate MSG," it's not all about Chinese takeout.

Dear Mr. Black,

I am very thankful that every Sabres game is on TV, even when I'm able to go. Thanks for continuing to employ the best play-by-play announcer possible, even when he asked the team to accommodate his need for a break on long trips. I find the HD on cable to be just fine, but I do ask that you turn up the crowd volume a bit to accommodate a certain former poster on this board.

You're a lawyer, so I'm sure that it goes without saying that you've considered whether your broadcaster violates FCC regulations, anti-trust legislation, and the like. And I'm equally sure that you can beware a one-time poster with an agenda more obvious than the American flag over Fucillo's.

Other than that, thanks for joining our team in February, and good luck to you and Mr. Pegula in seeing through the mission that I dream of, as does every Sabres fan.

Sincerely,

Eleven.

PS: If you Google "Chinese takeout," it's not all about MSG.

Thousands of fans watch every Bills game? Why?

Hundreds of thousands, actually, if not over a million. But I do understand the last word in your post.

Dear Mr. Black,

If you can find a way, please make the Bills broadcasts in lower-def. Preferably, the snowy, non-cable stuff that I saw in college. They seemed to win games through that crappy picture. Maybe it was the picture; maybe it was my alcohol-addled brain (it was college) (ok, maybe it wasn't JUST alcohol), but I swear, that team seemed to go to Super Bowls and stuff.

Also, DirecTV might do something whenever it suits CableVision or whatever.

In summary, I'd like to make some reference to Chinese food.

DeLuca authorized this message.

Sincerely,

Eleven.

PS: Please remember some moo shu pork for Weave. Or any type of pork, really. The guy seems to need it.

Dear Mr. Black,

Please devise an alternate 3rd jersey for the Amerks, which depicts a "Sabres University" logo.

I can assist in creating the logo, if needed, and I am sure merchandise sales will increase with this new jersey.

Thank you,

-Andrew Amerk

I watched many games on Time Warner channel 700 and the quality was about as low as a HD broadcast can get. I was irratated by the regular pulsating pixel cycle that peaked about every six seconds and the audio drop outs that could last for an entire period. Which fans are getting a good deal from MSG?

I just wanted to focus on this quick. It probably is your tv, hd cable or a combination thereof because my experience only very rarely experienced audio cut out and never had a pixelation cycle, also it was hd enough for me to see the skate lines in the ice.

But it would be nice to have a sabres channel but i doubt it happens. I think Black will work with MSG though to make the broadcast better for sabres fans in general.

I just wanted to focus on this quick. It probably is your tv, hd cable or a combination thereof because my experience only very rarely experienced audio cut out and never had a pixelation cycle, also it was hd enough for me to see the skate lines in the ice.

But it would be nice to have a sabres channel but i doubt it happens. I think Black will work with MSG though to make the broadcast better for sabres fans in general.

In my experience, it's all about the hardware and infrastructure when it comes to TWC. We've had 3 separate cable boxes before they gave us a brand spanking new model. We were experiencing the same kind of audio and visual problems you're describing. While it could easily be the box itself, I have a sneaking suspicion that the main cable line that services my neighborhood is over capacity. (roadrunner is hardly even noticeably faster than frontier DSL which i had prior) In that case, there's not much i can do other than complain, but all that will really do is irritate the people in a position to do nothing about it.

Check the box first, ask for a new one. Mayhaps this will solve your issue, the picture has been noticeably better since we got the newer black box model of the cable unit.

I'm with you. As a TWC customer, my HD signal is usually pretty good. For some unexplainable reason this past year, when the Sabres HD broadcast on channel 700 would first began, the HD Picture would be grainy and pixelated -- very annoying. But I quickly found that when I switched to another HD station, then back to the Sabres HD channel, the quality and picture improved and met my standards.

I never experienced any audio issues except for a couple occasions which it was on the Sabres/MSG/TWC's end, and would get a "Having Audio Difficulities" or whatever message at the bottom of the screen.

But I really feel for those who can't watch the Sabres at all, and those who don't provide many HD feeds. Hockey in HD is like a whole different game!

Dear Mr. Black,

Please devise an alternate 3rd jersey for the Amerks, which depicts a "Sabres University" logo.

I can assist in creating the logo, if needed, and I am sure merchandise sales will increase with this new jersey.

Thank you,

-Andrew Amerk

And Mr. Black, if I might add, every name plate should read "Chico".

• 1 month later...

Dear Mr. Black,

As the regular season approaches, we got the news that the FCC ruled against MSG, and in favor of Sabres fans. The Sabres made a 10 year agreement with a broadcaster that needed government force, in order to provide the signal to more fans. MSG did everything that they could to withhold the HD broadcast from Verizon subscribers, but they have publicly stated that they’re not finished, which was made clear by this public statement:

“Today’s disappointing rulings do not appear to be based on the facts. The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation’s two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers. Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts.”

Let’s address the absurd part of this statement. Where do you buy a new SDTV? I haven’t seen one in years. Do they even make them anymore? Do you ever watch hockey in SD when HD is available?

The important part of the statement says that they will seek “relief in the courts.” So MSG has their lawyers working to find a way to pull the plug on many thousands of Sabres fans, because they want to do us a favor as injured consumers.

You either want MSG to succeed with their relief or you want the FCC ruling to stand. If you want your partners to win then do the Sabres believe that fans’ without Time Warner Cable are disloyal and deserve to be punished? If you want MSG to fail then why do you tolerate this behavior? If they get their relief then what will you say to fans with Verizon? What guarantees that this will never happen to Direct TV?

I think it’s time that the Sabres seek relief in the courts and broadcast every game on Ch. 49 or Ch. 67, in 720p/60. Watching a Sabres game should be as easy as watching a Bills game, even if you watch them over the air with an antenna on the roof.

Honestly,

Alex

p.s. As for the Dish, do you or Mr. Pegula watch MSG’s Fuse network and dance the night away?

Dear Mr. Black,As the regular season approaches, we got the news that the FCC ruled against MSG, and in favor of Sabres fans. The Sabres made a 10 year agreement with a broadcaster that needed government force, in order to provide the signal to more fans. MSG did everything that they could to withhold the HD broadcast from Verizon subscribers, but they have publicly stated that they’re not finished, which was made clear by this public statement:“Today’s disappointing rulings do not appear to be based on the facts. The data clearly demonstrates that there has been no competitive harm to the nation’s two largest phone companies as a result of not having two HD channels they already receive in SD. New York is the most competitive market in the country and this decision only hurts fair competition and consumers. Instead of competing on the merits in the marketplace, Verizon and AT&T are manipulating federal law to gain an unfair advantage and we have every intention of pursuing relief in the courts.”Let’s address the absurd part of this statement. Where do you buy a new SDTV? I haven’t seen one in years. Do they even make them anymore? Do you ever watch hockey in SD when HD is available?The important part of the statement says that they will seek “relief in the courts.” So MSG has their lawyers working to find a way to pull the plug on many thousands of Sabres fans, because they want to do us a favor as injured consumers.You either want MSG to succeed with their relief or you want the FCC ruling to stand. If you want your partners to win then do the Sabres believe that fans’ without Time Warner Cable are disloyal and deserve to be punished? If you want MSG to fail then why do you tolerate this behavior? If they get their relief then what will you say to fans with Verizon? What guarantees that this will never happen to Direct TV?I think it’s time that the Sabres seek relief in the courts and broadcast every game on Ch. 49 or Ch. 67, in 720p/60. Watching a Sabres game should be as easy as watching a Bills game, even if you watch them over the air with an antenna on the roof.Honestly,Alexp.s. As for the Dish, do you or Mr. Pegula watch MSG’s Fuse network and dance the night away?

So, did you send this letter to Ted Black?

I actually wanted to quote notwoz first.

SD TVs are available. Check discount retailers and, if you're smart, check charity shops. You probably can get a nice one for $50.

And I don't understand the hatred for MSG for not dealing with Verizon subscribers on HD, either. I don't get NFL Network on Time Warner, and I'm a subscriber who does NOT want to pay for that channel, i.e., I'm very glad that TW has made a stand and NFL refuses to bend. There probably are a lot of Verizon folks who feel the same way about the Sabres; not everyone is a hockey fan. If MSG is so important to you in HD, switch to a carrier that has it. There are several alternatives; vote with your dollars.

ON EDIT: This is the same person who posted something similar a couple of weeks ago. I identified the agenda right away, then; I didn't do it so quickly this time. OP has an agenda, likely corporate, and this whole thing should be ignored.

Archived