Tyler Myers

neverenough

Question for the board:

If you were offered Stamkos and Hedman for Myers and Miller, would you do it?

as much as I have a rep for bad trade ideas, I will pass based off the probability that Miller and Myers would be better in the long run and that Enroth has not proven himself capable... the only thing harder to get than a #1 center is a top/world class goaltender

Question 2:

Would you trade Vanek, Stafford, and Roy for the Sedin twins?

That's an interesting idea but i think i'd pass.Vanek is built for the playoffs and you never no what Roy can come up with. Im not sure about you guys but i still have high hopes for Stafford.

They won the ###### Stanley Cup.

That's why Messier has his name on the Stanley Cup 6 times (5 w/ Edmonton and 1 w/ the Strangers) and Gretzky only has his name on it 4 times.

And if you were honestly suggesting they should have taken Shanny rather than Stinky Pete, you are a savant, as EVERYBODY had Pete as the consensus #1 that year. (Similar to the year Lindros came out. I suppose you were advocating for the Nords grabbing Neidermeyer that year as well. <_< )

The highlighted part is not true. It was a debate that went right up to the actual pick. Turgeon was favored, but Shanahan was very much in consideration. It was a two man race right up until the pick was made by Gerry Meehan.

PS Edmonton won nothing after trading Grezky & Co.

+100000000000000000000

This was my point all along. The Thornton trade and the Stanley Cup win are not causally related because the GM who made the Thornton trade was a completely different guy than the GM that put together the Stanley Cup winning team. The only pieces that Chiarelli inherited that were part of the SC Winning team were Bergeron, Krejci, and Tim Thomas. That's it. Every other player that was on the roster for this Cup Win was brought in by Chiarelli, not Mike O'Connell who made the Joe Thornton trade. The only person who could have consciously made this decision was Jeremy Jacobs having the foresight to know that by trading Joe Thornton, it allowed him to fire Mike O'Connell and coincidentally see Harry Sinden retire to become his personal advisor, so that he could hire Cam Neely as President and Peter Chiarelli as GM so that they could bring in Chara with the available salary cap space made by the Thornton trade. Jeremy Jacobs is the only person in this scenario who could have had this foresight, and I seriously doubt that he had that much foresight to consciously make these decisions at the time of the Thornton trade.

Also, the salary cap argument is a bit of a red herring. Remember, the offseason in which Chiarelli came on board, he signed Chara and Marc Savard (a.k.a. Joe Thornton's replacement - a playmaking center with tremendous passing skills). The net salary cap difference between Savard and Joe Thornton was about $1.7 million, so in theory, the Bruins likely could have kept Thornton and signed Chara by making moves of $1.7 million to offset the difference between Thornton's cap hit and Savard's cap hit.

Also, I will not dispute any claims about whether the Bruins would have won the Stanley Cup if Thornton were still there. Based on his choking in the playoffs, I don't believe they would have won with Thornton. However, the trade that was made in and of itself was not a good trade and did not lead to the Stanley Cup win 5 years later. Based on Chiarelli's trade profile in the last 5 years, if he had Thornton, I personally do not believe he would have made the same trade that O'Connell made to San Jose, and I do believe he would have traded Thornton and gotten a much better return like multiple first round picks (see Kessel, Phil) and potentially helped them win a Stanley Cup sooner. This was my point the entire time. I apologize if it was not clear, but this has been what I was trying to say all along.

Thank you for explaining this in greater detail so everyone can understand.

The highlighted part is not true. It was a debate that went right up to the actual pick. Turgeon was favored, but Shanahan was very much in consideration. It was a two man race right up until the pick was made by Gerry Meehan.

You are forgetting the 1990 Stanley Cup. Joe Murphy centering Adam Graves and Martin Gelina came into prominence during that playoff year. Beat Boston 4 games to 1.

Without Gretzky.

Sorry, that is incorrect. Turgeon was the consensus #1. Shanny the consensus #2.

You are forgetting the 1990 Stanley Cup. Joe Murphy centering Adam Graves and Martin Gelina came into prominence during that playoff year. Beat Boston 4 games to 1.

Without Gretzky.

Not exactly. He isn't forgetting it; he's willfully ignoring it. It happened in the 2nd season after Gretzky was traded which seems to somehow makes it completely immaterial to the discussion. :doh:

As already has been pointed out, Edmonton won a Stanley Cup after trading Gretzky & Co. I'm not sure why you're debating this.

Would you trade Vanek, Stafford, and Roy for the Sedin twins?

In a heartbeat. If I were a Canucks fan and this trade happened I would be pi$$ed.

Correct.

Sorry, that is incorrect. Turgeon was the consensus #1. Shanny the consensus #2.

Not exactly. He isn't forgetting it; he's willfully ignoring it. It happened in the 2nd season after Gretzky was traded which seems to somehow makes it completely immaterial to the discussion. :doh:

Also correct. But why check facts freely available in the public domain before posting when you can instead issue a nonsensical pronouncement?

One quick addition to the whole Boston-Thornton-Chara conversation: that Chara signing never happens if O'Connell sticks around. That move was all Chiarelli. And on that note, while we're talking about Ottawa departures, you have to wonder how the Senators now feel about letting him slip away and keeping Sylvester around all these years.

One quick addition to the whole Boston-Thornton-Chara conversation: that Chara signing never happens if O'Connell sticks around. That move was all Chiarelli. And on that note, while we're talking about Ottawa departures, you have to wonder how the Senators now feel about letting him slip away and keeping Sylvester around all these years.

the same way the sabres would feel if we let Myers slip away and kept Sekera for a bunch of years?

Myers did a triathlon recently...

http://blogs.theprov...re-triathletes/

It that guy really mocking an old guy (MacTavish) for not being up front in an Olympic Tri? I wonder what the author's time was.

I'd have liked to see Myers do better, but he's probably hauling around at least 50 extra lbs compared to a serious triathelete.

(Looked it up: the last Olympic winner weighs 154 lbs, Myers is listed at 227)

Archived