Tyler Myers

neverenough

An interesting question pertaining to our big guy is what kind of defeneman do we want him to be? There have been so many comparisons to Chara when it doesn't seem like they have much in common except for their almost freakish height. So far he's been playing like an offensive defenseman constantly jumping up into the play. He began showing a mean-streak and doing more stay-at-home work late in the season and into the playoffs. I would ask though what do we want him to be? Honestly I think he has so much potential he can probably be great at both. His skating ability and stickhandling (aside from the occasional major rookie like gaffe) have shown hes confortable in the offensive zone but does Lindy want him to jump in the O zone so much? I'm not sure if we've identified exactly what role we expect from him; though i suspect its been an evolving thing this far into his career.

The sky's the limit for Tyler. Our defence is going to be the talk of the league and Miller should benefit.IMO.

Im with ya on this buno,miller now has everything he needs to be that top notch goalie. Jhonas Enroth should also have a solid year with this defense. :thumbsup:

I'd say his trade value has never been higher.... This might just be the time to pull the trigger for a number 1 center..

priority 1 a number one center ..agreed.................priority 2 the centerpiece of a package for ... Weber..let Nashville take the chance of his potential developing

Trading Myers would be a huge mistake, you never trade a defence man with his size and all around skill set........He is a talent that does not come around very often, look how well trading Chara worked out for the two idiot teams that traded him???

Do you believe that if the Islanders or Senators would have kept Chara they would be Stanley Cup Champions or even contenders?

The biggest mistake a franchise can make is labeling a player "indispensable" or "untouchable." Once you limit your options you limit the possible results, negative and positive.

Trading Myers would be a huge mistake, you never trade a defence man with his size and all around skill set........He is a talent that does not come around very often, look how well trading Chara worked out for the two idiot teams that traded him???

So in principle I agree with you. However, if Buffalo ever wants to go to the next level, they are going to need to make some progress on the offensive side as well. If you are going to trade, trade from your strength. Amazingly right now, that appears to be defense. Without the off season moves, this move isn't thinkable. With the off season moves, you can at least entertain it.

IMO there are only three players on the Sabres that could be traded straight up for a first line center, they are: Miller, Vanek and Myers.

With Myers contract coming up, this may just be the time to consider him as bait.

I honestly don't expect the Sabres to do it, but it is fun contemplating it.

Do you believe that if the Islanders or Senators would have kept Chara they would be Stanley Cup Champions or even contenders?

The biggest mistake a franchise can make is labeling a player "indispensable" or "untouchable." Once you limit your options you limit the possible results, negative and positive.

Amen.

So in principle I agree with you. However, if Buffalo ever wants to go to the next level, they are going to need to make some progress on the offensive side as well. If you are going to trade, trade from your strength. Amazingly right now, that appears to be defense. Without the off season moves, this move isn't thinkable. With the off season moves, you can at least entertain it.

IMO there are only three players on the Sabres that could be traded straight up for a first line center, they are: Miller, Vanek and Myers.

With Myers contract coming up, this may just be the time to consider him as bait.

I honestly don't expect the Sabres to do it, but it is fun contemplating it.

It is his contract situation and potential that makes him the most desirable name of the three you mentioned. Miller, Leino,Erhoff,Reghr, Vanek would not be on my list if you are serious about making a run in the next two years. Miller because he is a top five goaltender and not easily replaced.Vanek is one of theose rare birds that thrives on playoff hockey, when he is not keyed on or doubled.( a rare commodity ). (there are a ton of guys with better regular season numbers and reps who most people here would tell you they would trade for strait up that have no presence in the playoffs)Tading Vanek strait up for a 1 center is a possibility but then you are left with the need to make another move or two imo.

They would certainly have been better teams with Chara playing defence for them.......And lets face it the Senators were close to being a Stanley Cup team, with Chara on the Blue Line they might have been one.

DeLuca is right that no one on this team should be deemed untradeable. However, there are really only about a half-dozen centers in the NHL that I would trade Myers for (Crosby, Malkin, Eric Staal, Stamkos, sedin, Toews, Getzlaf), and none of them is for sale.

I would trade Myers for Weber but as I've mentioned previously I would much rather trade other assets and create a weber-myers juggernaut on D.

They would certainly have been better teams with Chara playing defence for them.......And lets face it the Senators were close to being a Stanley Cup team, with Chara on the Blue Line they might have been one.

In today's NHL there is always more to it than simply a player making a team better. Look how the Sabres got Regehr.

DeLuca is right that no one on this team should be deemed untradeable. However, there are really only about a half-dozen centers in the NHL that I would trade Myers for (Crosby, Malkin, Eric Staal, Stamkos, sedin, Toews, Getzlaf), and none of them is for sale.

I would trade Myers for Weber but as I've mentioned previously I would much rather trade other assets and create a weber-myers juggernaut on D.

I think you are wrong yet again.

Good teams build around a star or superstar (however you define those terms). Washington: Ovechkin Pittsburgh: Crosby Detroit: Datsyuk/Lidstrom Vancouver: Sedins/Kesler San Jose: Thornton LA: Kopitar/Doughty Tampa: Stamkos

These players are not for sale and for a good reason.

When the Sabres came into the NHL Imlach knew they needed a rock upon which to build their team. He traded for Crozier to provide that stability. By the time Crozier was ready to retire Perreault was the star and centerpiece of the team.

Good teams don't trade their centerpiece stars. None of the above players are or will be available in the near future. They build around them instead. So no, everyone on the Sabres should not be trade bait. The last time I recall a centerpiece player being traded was Thornton from Boston to SJ and Boston immediately felt the impact of that mistake.

Right now the biggest star we have is Miller. We need to build around him, not consider him trade bait for yet another Dman, even if it is Weber. He is our rock and we need to cultivate future stars around him. We can build our future teams around those stars. But now we're still in the building stage and need to proceed cautiously until we see exactly how the pieces we have fit together as a team.

Future construction of a Stanley Cup Champion can begin from that assessment.

Good teams build around a star or superstar (however you define those terms). Washington: Ovechkin Pittsburgh: Crosby Detroit: Datsyuk/Lidstrom Vancouver: Sedins/Kesler San Jose: Thornton LA: Kopitar/Doughty Tampa: Stamkos

When the Sabres came into the NHL Imlach knew they needed a rock upon which to build their team. He traded for Crozier to provide that stability. By the time Crozier was ready to retire Perreault was the star and centerpiece of the team.

Good teams don't trade their centerpiece stars. None of the above players are or will be available in the near future. They build around them instead. So no, everyone on the Sabres should not be trade bait. The last time I recall a centerpiece player being traded was Thornton from Boston to SJ and Boston immediately felt the impact of that mistake.

Right now the biggest star we have is Miller. We need to build around him, not consider him trade bait for yet another Dman, even if it is Weber. He is our rock and we need to cultivate future stars around him. We can build our future teams around those stars. But now we're still in the building stage and need to proceed cautiously until we see exactly how the pieces we have fit together as a team.

That "mistake" turned out so bad for the Bruins that they hoisted the Stanley Cup this year.

San Jose has been a consistently underachieving playoff performer w/ said centerpiece player.

Now, which team made the mistake?

Pittsburgh, Detroit and Vancouver are built around one star or superstar? Have you seen their rosters?

Did you also say that Perreault was handed the mantle of "star and centerpiece of the team" from Roger Crozier? Perreault was the "centerpiece" and "star" of the franchise once Clarence Campbell finally confirmed the results of "The Spin of The Wheel."

The Bruins traded Thornton then picked up Chara in the off-season! :doh: I say that roster move worked out pretty damn well.

We'll see about Miller this season. No excuses!

I agree with much of this and am certainly not looking to trade Myers. My point was simply that there are very few players that I would consider trading Myers for, and those players aren't for sale -- essentially for the reasons you mentioned. However, if for some reason one of those players became available, like when Pronger or Gretzky (and perhaps Weber) forced a trade, even Myers is on the table. Not for Heatley or Thornton, but for a truly elite player? Yes.

Pittsburgh, Detroit and Vancouver are built around one star or superstar? Have you seen their rosters?

Did you also say that Perreault was handed the mantle of "star and centerpiece of the team" from Roger Crozier? Perreault was the "centerpiece" and "star" of the franchise once Clarence Campbell finally confirmed the results of "The Spin of The Wheel."

The Bruins traded Thornton then picked up Chara in the off-season! :doh: I say that roster move worked out pretty damn well.

We'll see about Miller this season. No excuses!

This is misleading, though. Boston felt the pain of that trade then had to completely rebuild that team. That move did not work out so well, but a bunch of other moves afterward did.

This is misleading, though. Boston felt the pain of that trade then had to completely rebuild that team. That move did not work out so well, but a bunch of other moves afterward did.

It was the first step in changing the direction of the franchise.

How much "pain" did they really feel?

Missed playoffs in 2006-07.

Made the playoffs and lost in game 7 against the Habs in 2007-08.

Won the Conference and lost in the second round in game seven against the Canes in 2008-09.

Made the playoffs and lost to the Flyers in seven games in the 2009-10 second round.

2010-11 they won the Stanley Cup.

One year of missed playoffs and a Stanley Cup since they dumped Thornton and picked up Chara. I'm not seeing a lot of pain there.

Archived