Dish or DirecTV

shrader

TV Options  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What shoud I do for watching Sabres and general TV

• DirecTV
    • Dish Network
    • Stay with TW Cable

I had DTV for a couple years. Never had any problems with service or billing, never had to call them once.

I moved into an apartment that only allows TW - I have had them for only 5 months, and have had to call them well over a dozen times. Billing problems every month, been through 3 boxes already, Internet goes in and out weekly, rude customer care reps, tv channels I'm paying for suddenly get locked out that say I need to subscribe. TW has been a complete nightmare, and I miss DTV.

I gotta find the right way to get them to knock down the cost of Sunday Ticket.

I don't have a job right now and just out of college, but getting Sunday Ticket is my source of entertainment for 4 months. Still though, my portion of the Ticket (split with my bro) would be 100-something and that's probably not smart right now.

Well, unless you go to a sports bar or something, I guess you're gonna miss both Bills wins.

LOL.. Not that that was a factor, but I very rarely watched the Bills last year. I camped on the red zone channel. If the Bills were doing something, I saw it. I'm going to miss the red zone channel. I'd pay just to have that and nothing else.

Looking at the schedule, it's going to be brutal.

LOL.. Not that that was a factor, but I very rarely watched the Bills last year. I camped on the red zone channel. If the Bills were doing something, I saw it. I'm going to miss the red zone channel. I'd pay just to have that and nothing else.

Looking at the schedule, it's going to be brutal.

The Red Zone Channel is the greatest thing to happen to NFL football (and esp. fantasy football) in a loooong time.

If you have DTV you should definitely get almost all of the Sabres games in HD (others have noted the Canadian broadcasts are not always in HD, and sometime the away MSG feed is in SD). Do know that HD service is an extra $10/month with DTV, though... they might have a promo on that for new customers, but keep it in mind if you switch. Don't know about MSG and Dish.

Even in the Buffalo area right? I'm extremely hesitant to do it just cause HD is a big issue with me. The smart thing to do would be to get the FIOS internet/tv bundle, but the games aren't on HD. At least that's what I was told...

Even in the Buffalo area right? I'm extremely hesitant to do it just cause HD is a big issue with me. The smart thing to do would be to get the FIOS internet/tv bundle, but the games aren't on HD. At least that's what I was told...

Hmm, someone else will have to chime in on that one... I'm out of state, so I don't have the local blackout issue. I'm guessing you'll have to get MSG as part of your normal channel package since it will be blocked on CI (that happens to me with Flyers games).

Yup. No HD on Fios.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Dish for years and after a dispute I went to cable. I just wasn't happy with the Center Ice package on cable, I don't care for how the DVR works and just generally am not pleased. The HD options for hockey games were lousy as well. Frankly some games stated as being in HD were lousy pictures. I'm thinking of going back to satellite before the season starts, what are your suggestions?

Did Dish Network ever make nice-nice with MSG? As of December of last year you couldn't get MSG on Dish Network. DirectTV has MSG in its lineup.

If you decide that Dish Network is your preferred carrier make sure they have MSG available before you sign on.

I had Dish for years and after a dispute I went to cable. I just wasn't happy with the Center Ice package on cable, I don't care for how the DVR works and just generally am not pleased. The HD options for hockey games were lousy as well. Frankly some games stated as being in HD were lousy pictures. I'm thinking of going back to satellite before the season starts, what are your suggestions?

I have dish Network right now, and I hate it. Their customer service is awful, and every time it rains or snows, we lose signal, and sometimes, if the wind blows jsut right, we lose signal. I've missed a number of shows and games because of it.

I decided that I am going to get basic cable in addition to dish network just so I can watch Yankee games and Sabre games since Dish doesn't have either. MSG is not in the Dish lineup in any of their packages.

We had DirecTV for about 5 years and then switched to Verizon FiOS about a year or two ago (largely because the Verizon package would save $30+ a month). Big mistake. DirecTV had comparatively excellent customer/tech service, and (based on my eyeball test) a superior HD picture. The FiOS DVR boxes are absolute garbage. I especially enjoy when they reset in the middle of prime time viewing (cough Sabres games cough). DirecTV boxes only seemed to update in the wee small hours in the morning. I know you're asking for Dish vs. DirecTV so this is a bit offtopic, but I'm just letting you know that as someone else who went to 'greener' pastures, I can't wait until my FiOS contract is up to go back to DirecTV.

I am also looking save on the monthly budget. TW has slammed me with a new $100 a month straight cable bill (no phone or internet). This is for a DVR HD package no premiums.

My question is I live in Rochester and want to ensure I get the Sabers in HD will I get that?

My wife and I had a really bad experience with DirecTV and their CSRs. Finally settled our debt with them without having to take a charge-off on my credit report. Nonetheless, our opinion of them soured after this experience.

My wife told me that we can get Versus on Knology. However, I highly doubt that we'll be able to get MSG. Dixie is not a hotbed for hockey (as people in Atlanta found out recently), but you can get your fill of college football ad nauseum down here.

My wife and I had a really bad experience with DirecTV and their CSRs. Finally settled our debt with them without having to take a charge-off on my credit report. Nonetheless, our opinion of them soured after this experience.

My wife told me that we can get Versus on Knology. However, I highly doubt that we'll be able to get MSG. Dixie is not a hotbed for hockey (as people in Atlanta found out recently), but you can get your fill of college football ad nauseum down here.

What's that?

If you follow less mainstream sports, DTV is superior. Included no charge in mid-tier programming are the Tennis channel and the rugby channel. For mainstream, NHL & MLB Networks are also showing more live games. I especially like the Mix channels they do for grand slam tennis events where you can move around on one channel between several matches - gives you a chance to see what's going on in the outer courts (ESPN & ABC suck with their coverage which is usually tape delayed and shows the Williams sisters or Roddick, Federer or some other fan favorite even if it's not the best match on). If anyone follows Rugby, channel 490 is awesome - they broadcast the entire Super Rugby season and are now showing all the Tri Nations tests. Hopefully they will keep it up through the Rubgy World Cup beginning next month.

I am also looking save on the monthly budget. TW has slammed me with a new $100 a month straight cable bill (no phone or internet). This is for a DVR HD package no premiums.

My question is I live in Rochester and want to ensure I get the Sabers in HD will I get that?

Call and tell them you want to cancel. I did this and they cut my monthly bill in half for a year and said call back in a year. They are really feeling the heat from the dish companies. I get the Sabres in HD on channel 1092 with TW. Unfortunately I'm moving out of state so I have to figure something else out now. Oye.

• 2 weeks later...

Called DirecTV to add a receiver for my new office and finally get into the 21st century and get the whole house on HD and switch from individual DVRs to the whole-house DVR service ... at the start of the conversation, the price to do this was $484.95 plus tax up front for the new equipment and activation, plus $19 more per month (for adding HD plus the extra receiver, etc.) . With very little hemming and hawing and just one "That's a lot, I'll need to call you back," she came all the way down to $69 plus tax instead of $485.

Then i told her that with the extra $19, my bill was getting way too high and I MIGHT need to cancel the Sunday Ticket ... so she proceeded to give me a crapload of various discounts for the next 6 months to make the Sunday ticket free and threw in Starz for 3 months (which I realize is just in the hope I will forget to cancel, but whatever, if I forget I am an idiot and it's on me).

At the end of the day, my base bill will go up a little with the HD and whole house DVR, but that's fine, I don't mind paying more for more service. I also realize that the original $485 was an inflated starting point so they can look good for giving you a deal, but all the way down to $69 was more than I expected. All the cable/dish companies suck on some level, but in my personal experience DirecTV has sucked the least by far and I have to give them props when they provide good customer service.

Archived