Dish or DirecTV

shrader

TV Options  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What shoud I do for watching Sabres and general TV

• DirecTV
    • Dish Network
    • Stay with TW Cable

Thanks. I've paid for center ice for years now, so I'm completely used to that. I'll take the ticket as long as it's free, but after that, I'm not interested.

You say you wouldnt take the Sunday ticket after free year is over. How else do you catch bills games??? If you go to a sports bar generally I shelled out 30$ a week and get stuck with a bunch of morons from other teams etc. With ticket I play golf, come home shower buddies pick up snacks on way over to the house and we enjoy Bills game with Simulcast of Bills radio ( gotta have sirius and a DVR ). Cheap ois ya ask me for 300$ for 16 weeks plus ya get to chose the 4PM game or 1PM depending when bills are on.

On your questions:

Wiring: Not sure I know what ya mean. Receivers have a COAX wire coming into them with some of the new setups with MultiRoom Viewing and using a SWM ( single Wire multiplexor) you can actually use splitters. Many of the new dishes have SWM built in so splitters can be utilized however in old wirings all receivers had a wire going back to the dish itself.

I figured it would be a COAX connection, but for some reason when I hear receiver I can't help but picture some sort of setup similar to wireless internet where there's one central box that send a signal over the air to any other receivers.

edit: Yeah, I have a Bills backers bar that I go to, but since it's the Bills, I give up about 5 games into the season each year. I'm not big enough into football to dish out that kind of money for games I really won't watch. The roommate's a Saints fan, so maybe he'd be more interested for their games.

I figured it would be a COAX connection, but for some reason when I hear receiver I can't help but picture some sort of setup similar to wireless internet where there's one central box that send a signal over the air to any other receivers.

edit: Yeah, I have a Bills backers bar that I go to, but since it's the Bills, I give up about 5 games into the season each year. I'm not big enough into football to dish out that kind of money for games I really won't watch. The roommate's a Saints fan, so maybe he'd be more interested for their games.

well split the cost of the ticket

DTV is awesome. Signed up a while back, havent looked back. Sunday Ticket for me, a Texans fan, is an absolute must. New subscribers get the Ticket free this year. Makes no sense that long-time subscribers pay full, but whatever. Gonna have to bust their balls for a discount.

There are good and bad things about every provider, but I've had DirecTV for over three years now, and I don't think I'll ever go back to Comcast. (Fios is another story, if the pricing were to come down.) For me, I don't watch TV enough to justify the 200+ channel packages that cost an arm and a leg, so I have the cheapest lineup with HD service and one receiver, and I pay about $42/month. Center Ice is the same cost as with cable, but you can pay in 4 monthly installments and I think the early bird renewal rate is a little cheaper if you sign up in September. My main peeve is that the few channels I do miss (Comedy Central, Versus, etc) are all on the higher tier packages, but I'm not willing to pay another $40/month for a few channels I'd actually watch. DTV is also really good to their long-term customers, as I've recently found out... at the 3-year mark I got a card in the mail that they set me up with their Sports Pack (includes lots of extra channels like FSN, MSG, Altitude) for free for three months. And get this: I called about two or three weeks ago with the intent of cancelling to switch to my Roku, and without even trying to get a deal the customer service rep offered me all of the following:

$5 off per month for one year

another $5 off per month for 2 years

free movie channels (Starz, Cinemax) for 3 months

upgraded to the next channel package FREE

NO PAYMENTS DUE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS (they essentially credited my account the amount of three months' service)

Edit 2: forgot they also gave me free HD for a year ($10 off per month)

On top of all that, I didn't have to sign a new contract, so I'm still month-to-month and free to cancel in another three months if I want to. But, even at the end of the three months I'll be paying less $ for more channels because of the upgrade. They won me over!

Edit: Like weave, I don't surf enough to get high speed internet, so I just have Verizon DSL for less than $30/month.

For me, I don't watch TV enough to justify the 200+ channel packages that cost an arm and a leg, so I have the cheapest lineup with HD service and one receiver, and I pay about $42/month.

Edit: Like weave, I don't surf enough to get high speed internet, so I just have Verizon DSL for less than $30/month.

You and I must have similar TV and interwebs habits. I can't justify anything other than the base DTV package (+ HD but I only care about that for Sabres viewing) either. And I am a hockey fan that won't spring for Center Ice. :blush: When it comes to TV, internet, and cell phone package I am a cheap bastage. Get me the minimum cost option to get the functionality I need and I am good to go.

You and I must have similar TV and interwebs habits. I can't justify anything other than the base DTV package (+ HD but I only care about that for Sabres viewing) either. And I am a hockey fan that won't spring for Center Ice. :blush: When it comes to TV, internet, and cell phone package I am a cheap bastage. Get me the minimum cost option to get the functionality I need and I am good to go.

Haha - well, I try to justify Center Ice to myself by paying less for everything else on a monthly basis. Last year I'm not sure it was worth it since I ended up mostly listening to the games on the GR app at work and effing Versus took almost all the playoff games, but this year I plan to get my money's worth of hockey viewing. :thumbsup:

I've had DTV since 2001 -- initially to get the NFL Sunday ticket. Overall I've been pleased and haven't had any real issues. Finally upgraded to HD a little over a year ago and still ask myself what took me so long. The nickel-and-diming issues that earlier posters mentioned is probably not that much more egregious than what happens with cable providers.

If you're planning on getting DTV, keep in mind that you'll need to keep an eye on the installers. The installers I've encountered in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC were all contractors and not employees. The quality of their work can vary wildly from one installer to the next. Two of the three that I've dealt with were pretty good; the third was lousy. I've also heard that they are not well paid and probably have an incentive to race through as many jobs as possible during any given workday.

Consequently, if you have any special requests during the installation, it helps to have a few $10s or $20s on hand to grease their palms. For example, when I upgraded to HD I wanted the installer to fish the lines through the walls and install outlets right behind the TVs, because I didn't want to have to look at coax cable running along the baseboards. I slipped him a couple of $20s and he did a good job of it, even though it required him to crawl around the attic to run the lines to the appropriate places. I'm in a ranch house and the attic space is hard to navigate unless you're a munchkin.

I'm really starting to think the two of you need to go get a room or something. :D

And I'm surprised how many responses this thread is getting. I never would have expected so many people were on DTV.

I'm really starting to think the two of you need to go get a room or something. :D

And I'm surprised how many responses this thread is getting. I never would have expected so many people were on DTV.

Really?

You do realize that you are posting on a website devoted to covering a hockey team nearly exactly 1/2 way through the offseason, right? The people that post here are that rabid that they will get worked up over whether the backup goalie has been signed soon enough, or worked up because people are worked up over whether the backup goalie has been signed soon enough. I'm mildly surprised that there are as many non-DTV'ers here as there are. ;)

Really?

You do realize that you are posting on a website devoted to covering a hockey team nearly exactly 1/2 way through the offseason, right? The people that post here are that rabid that they will get worked up over whether the backup goalie has been signed soon enough, or worked up because people are worked up over whether the backup goalie has been signed soon enough. I'm mildly surprised that there are as many non-DTV'ers here as there are. ;)

Hell yes I'm fired up! Enroth! Miller! Connolly! blah blah blah!

I'm not sure how many of us on this thread there are - but I'm guessing there's quite a few out-of-towners. For me this site is my refuge in the Penguin land where I'm trapped. Plus, when it comes to Center Ice - DirecTV wins hands down as offering the best product.

hey guys, this might be an obvious question but ive been a TW customer in the buffalo area forever. If I switched to DTV would I get the sabres games in HD? I'm moving to a new apartment that has dish network for free already installed but I won't get the games at all if I stick with it. Has anyone heard if they'll ever get MSG back at all?

I did the unthinkable today. I dropped Sunday ticket. They were offering others 150 for the season. They only gave me 120 off. Told them they could keep it. First time since '97 I won't have it.

hey guys, this might be an obvious question but ive been a TW customer in the buffalo area forever. If I switched to DTV would I get the sabres games in HD? I'm moving to a new apartment that has dish network for free already installed but I won't get the games at all if I stick with it. Has anyone heard if they'll ever get MSG back at all?

If you have DTV you should definitely get almost all of the Sabres games in HD (others have noted the Canadian broadcasts are not always in HD, and sometime the away MSG feed is in SD). Do know that HD service is an extra $10/month with DTV, though... they might have a promo on that for new customers, but keep it in mind if you switch. Don't know about MSG and Dish.

I did the unthinkable today. I dropped Sunday ticket. They were offering others 150 for the season. They only gave me 120 off. Told them they could keep it. First time since '97 I won't have it.

I did that last year. Had it since 98. Far too expensive to watch the Bills lose.

Not a ton of info here, but might help: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/19905-ot-nhl-gamecentre/

Thanks! Just cancelled DirectTV. That looks solid. I have a 30mbps line at home and no local team (bye, Thrashers!) so blackouts are no issue. Perfect. Gotta figure out Versus, though... Might be audio only nights.

I'm calling tomorrow to cancel Sunday Ticket. The Bills just don't justify the cost and I can probably listen via tunein radio anyway.

If you call DTV and ask for their customer retention department they will give you credits for the HD and receiver fees. I havent paid for either in 3 years. And there is also an option in settings where you can select show only HD channels if available, that way you dont have to scroll through 2 of every channel.

Well, unless you go to a sports bar or something, I guess you're gonna miss both Bills wins.

Archived