[OT] What do you think of the negative rep feature?

biodork

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes how you feel about the negative rep feature?

• I don't like it and would like to see it removed.
    • I don't care if it stays or goes.
    • Keep it, but make the votes public.
    • Keep it exactly as-is (votes are anonymous).

I know a number of us don't like it (including myself). I personally feel it's something that has potential uses, but in practice seems to be mostly misused and/or abused. But, it's entirely possible I'm in the minority here. The poll is anonymous because I figured more people would be willing to vote if it weren't public, but as always, feel free to post if you want to elaborate or discuss.

I think the +1 reputation system was awesome and worked perfectly. If you thought a post was informative, good natured, made good points, or was just plain funny, you give a +1. If you hated the post, you lived with it and moved on. I never feel the need to give someone a -1 unless they post something absurd or obnoxious.. like something that a moderator would have to clean up anyway. I see no use in the -1, but I like the +1.

I can honestly say, until this debate recently, I never even bothered to look over at the "rating" let alone contribute to it. I just don't get it ... if you disagree with someone, say so and explain why. What's gained by giving them a negative "score?" It's not like it keeps people from reading it (if anything it draws attention to it) and generally I would guess it's skewed anyway because people are more likely to react to something they dislike ...

It's like online reviews ... if your new TV sucks, you go online and tell people to warn them. If it works great, you don't even think about it because it's SUPPOSED to work great. That's just human nature. So there are always going to be more negative "votes" anyway.

Hate is a strong word but I don't think that little minus button has any constructive use. We've already seen a couple instances where people have gotten annoyed over misuse/abuse of it. IMO it doesn't do anything to improve the board.

Part of the problem is misuse (whether it's deliberate or not). It is supposed to be a rep point to "punish" poor behavior and trolling. Instead it gets used as a "dislike" when someone doesn't agree with your point. When the differneces of opinion get serious during the hockey season someone is going to get all butthurt over a neg rep given to their opinion. Add in the playful use of the neg like KTN is getting hit with and my prediction is someone valuable will leave because of this feature. I've said before, I've seen good constructive people leave other boards over neg reps.

And I don't think making it public will be constructive either. I think it will result in online arguments over who gave who a neg rep and a rep war will result.

I say go back to just having positive rep points.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/members/page__sort_key__posts__sort_order__desc__max_results__20__name_box__begins__st__20

I have the most negative rep, even more than GoDD. Honestly it is a message board, if someone really wants to waste their life trolling my posts for a -1 I am good with it, just means that I am better at what I do then they are... also I know who my troll, sorry buddy but Gerbe could play center and Brad Boyes does so winning. Keep or not idc, I did just go through and give everyone a +1 because some jackmeoff negated every single 1 of you and i know some ppl like their reps being pos. And I am done commenting on this and now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast

edit: it seems mr. Boyes can't play center gave me another well deserved -1, THXS :thumbsup:

I'd get rid of both the negative and positive buttons. The board operated without them for about forever and did just fine.

What he said.

However if you want a compromise eliminate the - and just keep the + .

As others have said the + is a better way to identify the posters that regulary add value, the - allows for too much subjectivity and/or game playing which appears to be happening to KTN now.

I appreciate the feedback because that is what makes the site better.

I ask that you just chill for a little bit on this. The system gets an overhaul in the new version, which I'm waiting for the next release due to bug fixes. That should be out any day.

My goal is to rate *content*, not people. The current system doesn't make that clear. Perhaps the new one will be closer to what I would like to see.

I'm a big believer that communities can self-moderate if given the proper tools. Instead of a moderator removing some piece of garbage, it is better to have it "disappear" (by passing through a threshold) due to a responsible community self-policing.

If I can't make this work for the betterment of the community - I'll ditch it. No biggie. Just hang tight for a little bit. Thanks.

Obviously, some people are more serious than others. I don't think anyone should allow a positive or negative "rep" influence them, but I guess some people out there might take it too seriously.

Personally, I don't care if it is there or not. I don't notice it, because it doesn't show up on my phone. Like someone above me said, if you disagree with someone, you should either just tell them (isn't that the whole point of a forum?), or ignore it and move on.

"Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it." -Colin Powell

I ask that you just chill for a little bit on this. The system gets an overhaul in the new version, which I'm waiting for the next release due to bug fixes. That should be out any day.

My goal is to rate *content*, not people. The current system doesn't make that clear. Perhaps the new one will be closer to what I would like to see.

I'm a big believer that communities can self-moderate if given the proper tools. Instead of a moderator removing some piece of garbage, it is better to have it "disappear" (by passing through a threshold) due to a responsible community self-policing.

If I can't make this work for the betterment of the community - I'll ditch it. No biggie. Just hang tight for a little bit. Thanks.

Agreed - I think that's how it is supposed to work, and in that capacity I have no issue with the feature. The poll wasn't intended to cause trouble; I just found myself legitimately curious as to what everyone thought of it. You do a great job here, and your willingness to listen to feedback is one of the many reasons (I think) people love the board and stick around for so long.

Hate is a strong word but I don't think that little minus button has any constructive use. We've already seen a couple instances where people have gotten annoyed over misuse/abuse of it. IMO it doesn't do anything to improve the board.

Part of the problem is misuse (whether it's deliberate or not). It is supposed to be a rep point to "punish" poor behavior and trolling. Instead it gets used as a "dislike" when someone doesn't agree with your point. When the differneces of opinion get serious during the hockey season someone is going to get all butthurt over a neg rep given to their opinion. Add in the playful use of the neg like KTN is getting hit with and my prediction is someone valuable will leave because of this feature. I've said before, I've seen good constructive people leave other boards over neg reps.

And I don't think making it public will be constructive either. I think it will result in online arguments over who gave who a neg rep and a rep war will result.

I say go back to just having positive rep points.

Fixed, and agreed on all points.

Agreed - I think that's how it is supposed to work, and in that capacity I have no issue with the feature. The poll wasn't intended to cause trouble; I just found myself legitimately curious as to what everyone thought of it. You do a great job here, and your willingness to listen to feedback is one of the many reasons (I think) people love the board and stick around for so long.

BTW, I meant "y'all", not "you" specifically when I asked people to chill. :thumbsup:

Obviously, some people are more serious than others. I don't think anyone should allow a positive or negative "rep" influence them, but I guess some people out there might take it too seriously.

Personally, I don't care if it is there or not. I don't notice it, because it doesn't show up on my phone. Like someone above me said, if you disagree with someone, you should either just tell them (isn't that the whole point of a forum?), or ignore it and move on.

"Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it." -Colin Powell

People are whiny. It's something that will never change.

Interesting that these buttons do not appear on your posts. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see how many negs and how many pos. you've voted displayed beside your total post count just so it would be possible to see if a person was just a negative kind of judge on what people post. Maybe they've had a run in with someone and they hit negative to absolutely everything that person posts regardless of content good or bad.

The "soandso likes this" feature in the future rollout you posted a few weeks ago will sort of police the abuse I think. If we could see the same person neg rep-ing fifty of KTM4GM's posts I don't think it would happen 150 times. I am more interested in seeing who "likes" my posts, a +1 from a veteran may mean more to some people than a + 1 from someone who just joined on February 9th of this year.

I'd like to see how many negs and how many pos. you've voted displayed beside your total post count just so it would be possible to see if a person was just a negative kind of judge on what people post. Maybe they've had a run in with someone and they hit negative to absolutely everything that person posts regardless of content good or bad.

i feel like this happened to someone on this board once upon a time...

I think KTN gets neg repped because no one gets his username. :P

...? :blink: in what way?

Archived