(OT) Favorite Summer Movies

LGR4GM

I should say that I did enjoy going to movies in my younger years - the dollar shows at the Como 8 were a big hit. There would only be 10 people in the theatre. We would smuggle in beers, and roll the empties down the aisles.

Damn. I thought you were my age. When I was smuggling in booze they were first run movies.

I should say that I did enjoy going to movies in my younger years - the dollar shows at the Como 8 were a big hit. There would only be 10 people in the theatre. We would smuggle in beers, and roll the empties down the aisles.

Wow, this reminds me of my friends and I walking the old train tracks, with our jackets full of beer or some random 5th of something awful, to the Riviera (The Riv) in N.T. on friday nights. One buck or a buck fifty if you wanted to sit up in the loge.

:thumbsup:

And my pants were taped on at the knees.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine!

That was on VH1 today. What a classic.

Saw Cars 2 with the young'ins and liked it. Wife and I get to 2 movies a year if we're lucky. A hell of lot better watching it in HD on my couch, naked with a beer. :D

I've been thinking about this for a while and figure this is as good a place to post as any.

I'm often housebound on the weekends and find that there are a bunch of movies that they show all the time. If they aren't on this weekend, chances are they will be on next. I find that there are several that no matter how many times I have seen them, I always watch them, even if only for part of it. I'm sure I have forgotten some but here are the ones I can think of right now. Please add some.

-Star Wars, all 6 (even the crappy ones)

-Lord of the Rings, all 3

-The Matrix, all 3

-The Terminator, all 3

-Pirates of the Caribbean, all 3

-The Chronicles of Riddick (I know, I know. It's Vin Diesel. It's still a good movie in spite of him)

-Blade, all 3

-Raiders of the Lost Ark (the rest just don't hold me)

-Jurassic Park 1 + 2

-Shawshank Redemption

-The Green Mile

-Caddyshack

-Waiting (had forgotten about it but it's on today)

-Gramma's Boy (It's basically an Adam Sandler movie without him in it so it's funny)

EDIT: Late adds.

-Animal House

-The Blues Brothers

-Pitch Black

-Tommy Boy

-The Princess Bride

-Stand By Me

I should also mention that if you're in Rochester and you don't know about Movies 10 in Henrietta you're missing out. $1.50 for movies that have only been recently out of theaters? Such a great option.

+1

Just noticed they are showing Hangover 2. I can finally see if it is as bad as everyone says for only a buck and 2 quarters!

I've been thinking about this for a while and figure this is as good a place to post as any.

I'm often housebound on the weekends and find that there are a bunch of movies that they show all the time. If they aren't on this weekend, chances are they will be on next. I find that there are several that no matter how many times I have seen them, I always watch them, even if only for part of it. I'm sure I have forgotten some but here are the ones I can think of right now. Please add some.

-The Matrix, all 3

-The Terminator, all 3

-The Chronicles of Riddick (I know, I know. It's Vin Diesel. It's still a good movie in spite of him)

-Blade, all 3

-Jurassic Park 1 + 2

-Shawshank Redemption

-The Green Mile

-Caddyshack

-Gramma's Boy (It's basically an Adam Sandler movie without him in it so it's funny)

I would add:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Sean Connery telling the Nazi that "gooshtepping morons like you should try reading books instead of burning them" is almost worth sitting through the whole movie)

A League of Their Own

That Thing You Do

Animal House

The Blues Brothers (We're on a mission from God. No, ma'am - we're musicians.)

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World

Glory

-The Matrix, all 3

-The Terminator, all 3

-Blade, all 3

-Jurassic Park 1 + 2

-Shawshank Redemption

-The Green Mile

-Caddyshack

Good list - I'd agree with most of these. But no Pitch Black? Riddick was better, but the other wasn't bad.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Sean Connery telling the Nazi that "gooshtepping morons like you should try reading books instead of burning them" is almost worth sitting through the whole movie)

"Almost worth"? Are you implying that the movie isn't all that great as a whole? Personally, I put that one right up there with Raiders. I can watch either one on any given day.

"Almost worth"? Are you implying that the movie isn't all that great as a whole? Personally, I put that one right up there with Raiders. I can watch either one on any given day.

I agree -- Last Crusade was my favorite of the three, probably because I saw it first, but also because I love the back and forth between the junior and senior Jones. "She talks in her sleep." lol

I go to the movies all the time... probably average at least 2 a month, with the summer probably seeing more. I love the theatre experience with the big screen, the trailers, the sound... LOVE IT! I hate most other people that go to the movies because they come in late (yes I think during the trailers is late), use their cell phones, bring their kids who talk or get up and run around, talk to their friends, etc. I pay to watch the movie, not to deal with all the morons who don't appreciate the movie experience.

That being said, I understand all of the above will go on so I usually go to the earliest show on saturday or sunday. Even the most popular movies are usually not well attended at the noon show... or I go on a tuesday or wednesday in the 4:00 or 5:00 hour. Plus this is cheaper than the night shows... my theatre is only $5.00 before 6:00pm. (non 3D shows)

In the past two months I've seen Green Lantern, X-Men First Class, Horrible Bosses, Captain America, Bad Teacher, Thor, Transformers(2x), and plan on seeing a few more in the next month.

I have Carmike Cinemas near me, and they have a plastic bucket for popcorn that is refillable so I don't spend the $9.00 on popcorn every time, i only spend $2.50.

I agree -- Last Crusade was my favorite of the three, probably because I saw it first, but also because I love the back and forth between the junior and senior Jones. "She talks in her sleep." lol

"That's his name, Henry. Jones. Junior."

"I prefer Indiana"

"We named the dog Indiana"

"The dog? ahaha! Your Named after the dog!?"

"I got a lot of found memories of that dog"

- And that is where that series ended... (srry Shia Lebouf you are not Indiana Jones son.)

I would add:

Animal House

The Blues Brothers (We're on a mission from God. No, ma'am - we're musicians.)

On the list

Good list - I'd agree with most of these. But no Pitch Black? Riddick was better, but the other wasn't bad.

...and this.

I'll have to give the last crusade another try. I'm sure it's on next weekend.

I'll have to give the last crusade another try. I'm sure it's on next weekend.

You can't go wrong with Sean Connery. Speaking of him, how pathetic is it that the last movie he acted in was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? He really needs to unretire just to eliminate that black eye from his bio.

"That's his name, Henry. Jones. Junior."

"I prefer Indiana"

"We named the dog Indiana"

"The dog? ahaha! Your Named after the dog!?"

"I got a lot of found memories of that dog"

- And that is where that series ended... (srry Shia Lebouf you are not Indiana Jones son.)

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, now there's a sh*tty movie. :sick:

I go to the movies all the time... probably average at least 2 a month, with the summer probably seeing more. I love the theatre experience with the big screen, the trailers, the sound... LOVE IT! I hate most other people that go to the movies because they come in late (yes I think during the trailers is late), use their cell phones, bring their kids who talk or get up and run around, talk to their friends, etc. I pay to watch the movie, not to deal with all the morons who don't appreciate the movie experience.

That being said, I understand all of the above will go on so I usually go to the earliest show on saturday or sunday. Even the most popular movies are usually not well attended at the noon show... or I go on a tuesday or wednesday in the 4:00 or 5:00 hour. Plus this is cheaper than the night shows... my theatre is only $5.00 before 6:00pm. (non 3D shows)

In the past two months I've seen Green Lantern, X-Men First Class, Horrible Bosses, Captain America, Bad Teacher, Thor, Transformers(2x), and plan on seeing a few more in the next month.

I have Carmike Cinemas near me, and they have a plastic bucket for popcorn that is refillable so I don't spend the $9.00 on popcorn every time, i only spend $2.50.

I'm not late...you are 48 minutes too early. :lol:

i rarely get out to the movies. my wife and i made a point to see super 8 this summer. well worth it - everything a movie should be.

I agree. Talked my wife and 13 year old son into going (because it was really only me that wanted to see it) and we all loved it. It reminded me of going to see a saturday afternoon matinee when I was a young lad and the excitement and wonder that those experiences gave me. Recently went to the new Potter movie because my wife dragged me to it ( it was my first Potter movie ) and I didn't really see the appeal. It was most likely because I've never really wanted to see the others. I can't say it was bad but I felt I just didn't have enough invested into the overall story to really get it.

I should also mention that if you're in Rochester and you don't know about Movies 10 in Henrietta you're missing out. $1.50 for movies that have only been recently out of theaters? Such a great option.

Followed by Jay's Diner, of course. The movies are still just $1.50 at Movies 10?

I will RARELY pay the full $8-$12 to see a movie. I'm cheap and patient, I can wait for the Red Box.

Followed by Jay's Diner, of course. The movies are still just $1.50 at Movies 10?

I will RARELY pay the full $8-$12 to see a movie. I'm cheap and patient, I can wait for the Red Box.

I don't remember exactly what the price is, but it's not more than $3.00. They have specials each night.

And of course Jay's after! Gotta get my country fried steak and eggs!

Not at all - Last Crusade is my favorite of the four Indiana Jones movies. It's just that line combined with Connery's delivery...well, even if the rest of the movie was lousy (which it definitely is NOT), would make it worth watching.

Not at all - Last Crusade is my favorite of the four Indiana Jones movies. It's just that line combined with Connery's delivery...well, even if the rest of the movie was lousy (which it definitely is NOT), would make it worth watching.

You chose wisely. :thumbsup:

Archived