(OT) Favorite Summer Movies

LGR4GM

I just watched Captain America this weekend and it didnt disappoint very interesting from beginning to end.

The best movie I have seen in the last year or so has to be inception. We got to see it while I was in Iraq and it was crazy, I walked out of the theatre thinking that i was in a dream def one of my top ten now.

I forgot about that one! Definitely a mind-bender, and cool special effects (i.e. the fight scene in the hotel hallway). I watched it a second time and I'm still trying to figure out what the very last scene meant... I won't give it away for those who haven't seen it, but definitely leaves you thinking. Black Swan was like that, too... very weird, but the acting was terrific and it left me trying to figure it out for days after.

since some people were talking Captain America... here are my thoughts on it without giving too much away. (taken from my "new" movie review blog)

Captain America: The First Avenger

I saw this in 3D... not sure the 3D was needed but it didn't take away from the movie.

This movie was another highly anticipated movie for me this summer and I was excited to see it and couldn't wait. I plan on seeing it again, not 3D and see if I notice a difference.

This was a great set up for the character, I'm so glad they set it back in the 1940's and didn't try to do some 'updated' version like they have done with some other characters. I think it's fairly well done, I didn't research any details so they might have screwed some things up with the time period but for the average movie goer, it's a cool period to look back on. First and foremost for me was the pride American's had for being American. I loved that aspect of it and how it was an honor to serve and protect this country. LOVED THAT! We need that back... but anyway, Like most superhero movies now, they speed background stories up a little bit but they had some good character development and you can see why Steve Rodgers was chosen for the experiment. Chris Evans does a great job and Tommy Lee Jones is really good too (as always). I don't know how they did it and can't wait for the DVD extras to show me, but it looked good when Chris Evans was the short, skinny, runt. I was afraid it would look to choppy or something but the technology is amazing. I've heard people say his head is too big for his body, but I didn't think it looked bad. That actor who played the skinny body should get some credit (if it was a person), he did well.

I didn't know how they were going to bring the Cosmic Cube, Hydra, and Red Skull with their "sci-fi" aspect into the story, but they did a good job I thought... I probably know more than the average person but I'm not a Marvel historian or even a Marvel guy really so I can't speak to "source material"... . but, remember this is a fantasy story and it is make believe, just like all comic book movies you have to suspend belief and enter an alternate universe so to speak.

The real pay off with this movie for me, just like THOR and even IRON MAN 2, were how they were setting up next years' blockbuster movie THE AVENGERS. I think they did a GREAT job... I was pumped and can't wait for that movie next year. Make sure you stay after ALL the credits are over, you get a bonus (just like most Marvel movies).

since some people were talking Captain America... here are my thoughts on it without giving too much away. (taken from my "new" movie review blog)

Captain America: The First Avenger

I saw this in 3D... not sure the 3D was needed but it didn't take away from the movie.

This movie was another highly anticipated movie for me this summer and I was excited to see it and couldn't wait. I plan on seeing it again, not 3D and see if I notice a difference.

<edit for brevity>

LOVE the review. thanks for posting this. i wanted to go this past weekend, but i twisted my ankle early friday morning, so i was pretty much back-flat all weekend, my only company being a constantly replenished bag of ice. wife was awesome and told the kids that they needed to stay upstairs and not "hop on pop," as they so often love doing. anyway, can't wait to see this. it's been on my radar since iron man 2 ran a brief teaser trailer.

The real pay off with this movie for me, just like THOR and even IRON MAN 2, were how they were setting up next years' blockbuster movie THE AVENGERS. I think they did a GREAT job... I was pumped and can't wait for that movie next year. Make sure you stay after ALL the credits are over, you get a bonus (just like most Marvel movies).

Or just look it up online and save yourself some time. If I had known it was just going to be a trailer, I would have left right away, especially since I had already seen that entire clip.

Or just look it up online and save yourself some time. If I had known it was just going to be a trailer, I would have left right away, especially since I had already seen that entire clip.

True, but if you are like me and want it on the big screen and enjoy that aspect of it, it's worth staying for. Ever since I ruined a few movies for myself a few years back with being "too much of a geek" and finding every thing about the movie online before seeing it, I try to stay away from info online before seeing a movie. I'll go geek out after. But you are correct, you can probably find the "bonus" online somewhere

Captain America struck me as the kind of movie where ubergeeks would probably have issues with it, but since my background consists of watching parts of the old CA movies (which are awful) and a general knowledge of the story, I found the movie enjoyable.

For those that saw it, are you familiar with Howe and Howe Tech on Discovery channel? Some of the Red Skull tanks looked like stuff they would have built.

Captain America struck me as the kind of movie where ubergeeks would probably have issues with it, but since my background consists of watching parts of the old CA movies (which are awful) and a general knowledge of the story, I found the movie enjoyable.

For those that saw it, are you familiar with Howe and Howe Tech on Discovery channel? Some of the Red Skull tanks looked like stuff they would have built.

did you notice how there guns sounded like the pulse canons on Iron Man's suit?

?

also should I change my name to LGR4GM?

did you notice how there guns sounded like the pulse canons on Iron Man's suit?

?

also should I change my name to LGR4GM?

Haha, yes I did. There's a lot of little hints at Iron Man tech in that movie.

And yes you should.

If we're going to start calling you Liger now that you're no longer kitten...

I'm calling him Lager. I don't care what anyone else wants it to refer to. Lager 4 GM.

True, but if you are like me and want it on the big screen and enjoy that aspect of it, it's worth staying for. Ever since I ruined a few movies for myself a few years back with being "too much of a geek" and finding every thing about the movie online before seeing it, I try to stay away from info online before seeing a movie. I'll go geek out after. But you are correct, you can probably find the "bonus" online somewhere

I don't feel like we're spoiling anything by saying exactly what the end of credits scene is, so I'm just going to go ahead and mention it. It wasn't like the other Marvel movies where it actually furthered the story a bit. This one is just a trailer for a movie that just about everybody in the US knows is being made. I was hoping for another new scene (and on that note, the one in the 1st Ironman was a very nice surprise).

This might fall outside the 1-2 year timeframe, but did you see Gran Torino? That has to be one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. I enjoy the special effects movies, too, because I take them for what they're worth (eye candy). It's only when you start expecting them to be more that they become disappointing.

Yeah, I caught that one on TV. It was good, but Eastwood was never a good actor. I compare him to Keannu Reeves.

There is a teen movie I really liked a lot...Keith. I'm not up on the latest teen stars, but these two were very good in their roles...Jesse McCartney and Elisabeth Harnois (who is really good) are the names.

here's a thought, name a move character that you think would make a fun hockey player and you can't use hockey movies... for example: I think Legolas from LOTR would make a good hockey player because anybody who can slide down stairs and fire arrows or kill an Oliphant all by himself has got to be awesome, Tim Thomas couldn't even stop him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMjkfZ3q8tE

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a really good movie last night: "The Guard." Cop movie set in a small town in Ireland, with a bunch of Irish actors (I think the lead was in "The Commitments") and Don Cheadle. Not an action thriller, but very funny and generally enjoyable. If you appreciate Irish humor and a well-made movie, check it out.

I saw a really good movie last night: "The Guard." Cop movie set in a small town in Ireland, with a bunch of Irish actors (I think the lead was in "The Commitments") and Don Cheadle. Not an action thriller, but very funny and generally enjoyable. If you appreciate Irish humor and a well-made movie, check it out.

So is this a set up for a Sesame Street 'One of these things is not like the others?' :huh:

• 3 months later...

Archived