(OT) Favorite Summer Movies

LGR4GM

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, now there's a sh*tty movie. :sick:

I actually thought of walking out of it... the plot was horrendous and the cheezy computer graphics pissed me off. Of course when it turned into aliens I would have left but the movie ended. Sh*tty is not a harsh enough word for what is was, Harrison Ford and Shia Lebouf should have smacked Lucas and Spielberg in the face with a shovel.

In other news, ZombieLand and Forgetting Sarah Marshall are great summer movies.

Hell yes Zombie Land!

And on the subject of Jays, Tahous, Mighty, etc., I've never been a Tahous fan. With Henrietta Hots right near my apartment, the new Tahous really doesn't factor in. It's just not the same feel. Plus the girlfriend prefers Jays menu over grungy Henny Hots, and I'm burned out on the garbage plate after living here for almost 5 years.

I should also give a shout out to Zonies in Jefferson plaza. Calzone shop open till 4am with free delivery. Can't beat that for drunk food.

Hell yes Zombie Land!

And on the subject of Jays, Tahous, Mighty, etc., I've never been a Tahous fan. With Henrietta Hots right near my apartment, the new Tahous really doesn't factor in. It's just not the same feel. Plus the girlfriend prefers Jays menu over grungy Henny Hots, and I'm burned out on the garbage plate after living here for almost 5 years.

I should also give a shout out to Zonies in Jefferson plaza. Calzone shop open till 4am with free delivery. Can't beat that for drunk food.

Zonies started in Oswego and there have been many a harbor fest of being hammered and getting some zonies at 3in the morning... plus watch Bad Boyes and drink every time they say SH!T or FU3k... actually make it bad boys 2

CLIMB FASTER!

"I thought I was going faster!"

"You were supposed to be this colossus! You were this great legendary thing... and yet, he gains."

"Well, I'm carrying three people, and he has only himself."

"I will not accept excuses; I'm just going to have to find myself another giant, that's all."

RIP Andre the Giant.

Over the years I have kept a Word file on the best movies I've ever seen. The list has grown to over 150 films but very few in the past five years.

Today's films are all about special effects, intended to "WOW!" you rather than provide substance to a storyline. There is almost no character development to speak of and the recent output of superhero movies is pathetic. It seems Hollywood has run out of ideas and is now reduced to remakes of old hits and comic books. So I watch TCM if I want to see a quality movie.

Having said that, there is one film over the past two years or so that not only grabbed my attention, but actually shook me. I walked out of the theater in a state of shock. That film was Knowing. Yes, I know it had special effects, but the story line was captivating and Cage is a good actor. (Reminds me, The Family Man - also excellent)

Also...

The Lord Of The Rings is a classic (I recall organizing a baseball team back in the 60's and calling them "ORCS" - no one knew what that meant so I changed the name to "Balrogs" - same thing). I can't wait for The Hobbit to be finished.

Did anyone else see Bridesmaids? It sounds like a chick flick, but my mom and brother keep telling me I need to see it because it's the female equivalent of The Hangover. I'm a little skeptical, though.

I was roped into going to that one. If that was the female Hangover, you should probably never drink again.

Over the years I have kept a Word file on the best movies I've ever seen. The list has grown to over 150 films but very few in the past five years.

Also...

The Lord Of The Rings is a classic (I recall organizing a baseball team back in the 60's and calling them "ORCS" - no one knew what that meant so I changed the name to "Balrogs" - same thing). I can't wait for The Hobbit to be finished.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember."

They don't make movies like "to Have and have not" or "singing in the rain" or "A night at the Opera" or "The Thief of Baghdad" or "the 7 Samurai" these movies don't exist anymore and it is a shame, but at least they were made int eh golden age of hollywood and still remembered for what they were, brilliant masterpieces the likes of which this world will never see again.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember."

They don't make movies like "to Have and have not" or "singing in the rain" or "A night at the Opera" or "The Thief of Baghdad" or "the 7 Samurai" these movies don't exist anymore and it is a shame, but at least they were made int eh golden age of hollywood and still remembered for what they were, brilliant masterpieces the likes of which this world will never see again.

7 Samurai, now that's a movie.

Did I miss something? Or was an overlooked provision of the debt restructuring deal the burning of all reels and DVD's of those movies? (My guess is they'd still live on on beta anyhow, as the only people that still own them are the forgotten Al Bundys of the world.)

While those sorts of movies don't seem to show up in the multiplex, I'd expect the Bullwinkles of the world keep them alive. (If he won't, I will.)

And any discussion of PASabrefan era movies wouldn't be complete w/out a couple of Bogie's best - 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'Casablanca'. I don't think it's possible to go wrong w/ Bogart.

Did I miss something? Or was an overlooked provision of the debt restructuring deal the burning of all reels and DVD's of those movies? (My guess is they'd still live on on beta anyhow, as the only people that still own them are the forgotten Al Bundys of the world.)

While those sorts of movies don't seem to show up in the multiplex, I'd expect the Bullwinkles of the world keep them alive. (If he won't, I will.)

And any discussion of PASabrefan era movies wouldn't be complete w/out a couple of Bogie's best - 'The Maltese Falcon' and 'Casablanca'. I don't think it's possible to go wrong w/ Bogart.

I was saying they dont exist in that they dont make them anymore not that you cant get them.

"To Have and Have Not" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037382/ is one of Boogies best and thats the movie where he met Becall..."you know how to whistle don't ya Steve? You just put your lips together and, blow"

also PA get your butt back on here we miss your banter

Having said that, there is one film over the past two years or so that not only grabbed my attention, but actually shook me. I walked out of the theater in a state of shock. That film was Knowing. Yes, I know it had special effects, but the story line was captivating and Cage is a good actor. (Reminds me, The Family Man - also excellent)

This might fall outside the 1-2 year timeframe, but did you see Gran Torino? That has to be one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. I enjoy the special effects movies, too, because I take them for what they're worth (eye candy). It's only when you start expecting them to be more that they become disappointing.

I was roped into going to that one. If that was the female Hangover, you should probably never drink again.

LOL thanks for the warning; I'll continue to avoid that one.

I just watched Captain America this weekend and it didnt disappoint very interesting from beginning to end.

The best movie I have seen in the last year or so has to be inception. We got to see it while I was in Iraq and it was crazy, I walked out of the theatre thinking that i was in a dream def one of my top ten now.

Archived