Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

I wouldn't be stunned if Leopold's numbers went down either, but more because of Ehrhoff ... MAG isn't guaranteed a spot in the lineup by any means.

My guess is that Leo drops to the 3rd line and is paired with Weber. Sekera gets Regehr or Ehrhoff and Myers on the first line gets the other vet. At some point I am sure ruff will juggle these lines around but I don't see Leo moving up much unless injuries or sekera majorly sucking occurs.

Myers - Ehrhoff/Regehr

Sekera - Regehr/Ehrhoff

Weber - Leopold

MAG

1st PP

Myers - Ehrhoff

2nd pp

Sekera - Leopold/MAG (depends on how MAG looks but I think he could become the guy)

Good riddance. Can't stand that guy.

Seconded. One of the few guys that I really hate in hockey. Heard an interview of his a few days back and he sounded like a pretty down-to-earth guy, but on the ice, he is intentionally dirty (not just walking that fine line, but will poke you in the eye if nobody's looking), then gives the "what did I do?" look when called or when somebody comes back at him. He takes being a pest to a level that I just can't stand. It just makes hockey look bad.

With Erhoff on the team I def expect Leopold's stats to drop this year. Unless Erhoff or Myers get hurt, Leopold won't see a sniff of the #1 PP unit. And he'll spend more even strength time on the ice with lower line forwards too.

You would put Myers on your #1 pp unit? Yikes!

You would put Myers on your #1 pp unit? Yikes!

Yes? Is there something you are thinking that makes this a bad idea?

I was thinking of his hard shot, swift passing abilities, and general all around offensive ability coupled with his 14ppp out of 37 total points last year.

also 2,000 posts, sweet

Of course. In what alternate universe would you NOT put Myers at the point on a power play?

Looks like we watch different Tyler Myers on the pp.I watched him on the Sabres 16th ranked pp during the regular season and in the playoffs. IMO Myers would not play the point on the #1 pp unit of any top 15 NHL teams yet. He is two years away from that. Sorry! He has a very inaccurate 100 mph slap shot on the pp and has yet to discover his wrist shot and puck speed. He does have excellent reach and defensive instincts but the pp is about scoring. He needs to work on his shot selection, timing, vision,anticipation and do something about his slow decision making when deciding to shoot and or pass. It would also be nice if they taught him a few effective dekes to help him get his shot off and open a few lanes. He puts the puck on net less than 7% of the time he shoots. That is Far too low of a percentage . (he has difficulty finding/ creating /and recognizing lanes). He will learn IMO but should do it on the two pp unit. Ehroff belongs on the point of the 1 pp unit, with someone with a little more sense ,quickness, skill, finesses and better vision. I think they added a guy like that? Tyler can get his 3 goals and 14 pp pts by anchoring the second unit and continue to learn imo. Other, obviously more astute, fans have different opinions, which they are entitled to.They expressed theirs in a less demeaning maner. It will be interesting to see what Lindy does when the season gets rolling.Vanek needs more finesse from the point not more life threatening 100mph head level,go sit down for twenty games, pin ball slap shots.The glass behind the net could also use a break.

Yes? Is there something you are thinking that makes this a bad idea?

I was thinking of his hard shot, swift passing abilities, and general all around offensive ability coupled with his 14ppp out of 37 total points last year.

also 2,000 posts, sweet

Nice post young Liger. (See, I don't ALWAYS disagree with you.)

Looks like we watch different Tyler Myers on the pp.I watched him on the Sabres 16th ranked pp during the regular season and in the playoffs. IMO Myers would not play the point on the #1 pp unit of any top 15 NHL teams yet. He is two years away from that. Sorry! He has a very inaccurate 100 mph slap shot on the pp and has yet to discover his wrist shot and puck speed. He does have excellent reach and defensive instincts but the pp is about scoring. He needs to work on his shot selection, timing, vision,anticipation and do something about his slow decision making when deciding to shoot and or pass. It would also be nice if they taught him a few effective dekes to help him get his shot off and open a few lanes. He puts the puck on net less than 7% of the time he shoots. That is Far too low of a percentage . (he has difficulty finding/ creating /and recognizing lanes). He will learn IMO but should do it on the two pp unit. Ehroff belongs on the point of the 1 pp unit, with someone with a little more sense ,quickness, skill, finesses and better vision. I think they added a guy like that? Tyler can get his 3 goals and 14 pp pts by anchoring the second unit and continue to learn imo. Other, obviously more astute, fans have different opinions, which they are entitled to.They expressed theirs in a less demeaning maner. It will be interesting to see what Lindy does when the season gets rolling.Vanek needs more finesse from the point not more life threatening 100mph head level,go sit down for twenty games, pin ball slap shots.The glass behind the net could also use a break.

Are you certain about the bolded stat above?

He was credited with 122 shots last year. If he only put 7% of his shots on net, then he tried to take 1743 shots last year, which equates to ~21 per game. According to NHL.com, he scored on 8.2% of those 122 shots; which isn't horrible for a D-man. But, if you are correct that he took 1700 or so shots last year, I will admit that only scoring 10 goals is pretty shabby.

And most teams are happy w/ ~30 shots per game, so if he is taking 20 or so, the Sabres must be rocking the other end. :thumbsup:

Nice post young Liger. (See, I don't ALWAYS disagree with you.)

Are you certain about the bolded stat above?

He was credited with 122 shots last year. If he only put 7% of his shots on net, then he tried to take 1743 shots last year, which equates to ~21 per game. According to NHL.com, he scored on 8.2% of those 122 shots; which isn't horrible for a D-man. But, if you are correct that he took 1700 or so shots last year, I will admit that only scoring 10 goals is pretty shabby.

And most teams are happy w/ ~30 shots per game, so if he is taking 20 or so, the Sabres must be rocking the other end. :thumbsup:

Taro..the post is about the pp... and his pp shooting.I messed the stat up in an edit . It should say 70% of his pp shots never make it to the net.(there are reasons for that) Actually it was 73 but i rounded. Not what i would want from the point on the pp. Are you arguing that there are not better 1 pp unit point options on this team right now? If you gave five other guys on this team the 1 pp unit time Tyler had last year their numbers would be as good or better. Let the kid continue to learn on the 2. Sorry he is not the phenom many fans here make him out to be.. .yet ....he is excellent defensively on the pp. and an excellent defensman.

Taro..the post is about the pp... and his pp shooting.I messed the stat up in an edit . It should say 70% of his pp shots never make it clenaly to the net. Actually it was 73 but i rounded. Not what i would want from the point. No doubt here right now, that there are better 1 pp unit point options while the kid continues to learn on the 2. Sorry he is not the phenom many fans here make him out to be.. .yet he is excellent defensively on the pp.

Do you have a link for the source of that stat? I'd like to see how he compares to other PP defensemen.

Do you have a link for the source of that stat? I'd like to see how he compares to other PP defensemen.

Do you mean compare him with other 1pp unit players who play the point? No i will not share the shot charts i keep but i can send you the blank sheets and halfway though the season we can talk about his pp shots? Weave...you know where the general pp stats are already and you can see him ranked against his peers. I think you already know what they say. If you would like a better comparison I could suggest you take the point guys from the other one pp units in the nhl last year, run them seperately and rank them . There are rankings available for defensemen on the pp in the nhl stats. I will ask you the same question as i did Taro. Are you telling me there are no better options to play the point on the 1 pp on this team than Tyler? Do you think there are other players on the team given the one unit pp time he had last year that would have better numbers? I would bet you right now, knowing it will never happen, that if you put grigs in his position on the pp all things being equal his numbers blow him away.

Do you mean compare him with other 1pp unit players who play the point? No i will not share the shot charts i keep but i can send you the blank sheets and halfway though the season we can talk about his pp shots? Weave...you know where the general pp stats are already and you can see him ranked against his peers. I think you already know what they say. If you would like a better comparison I could suggest you take the point guys from the other one pp units in the nhl last year, run them seperately and rank them . There are rankings available for defensemen on the pp in the nhl stats. I will ask you the same question as i did Taro. Are you telling me there are no better options to play the point on the 1 pp on this team than Tyler? Do you think there are other players on the team given the one unit pp time he had last year that would have better numbers? I would bet you right now, knowing it will never happen, that if you put grigs in his position on the pp all things being equal his numbers blow him away.

I gotta say, that's pretty hardcore.

But I still want Myers-Ehrhoff on that first power play pairing.

I gotta say, that's pretty hardcore.

But I still want Myers-Ehrhoff on that first power play pairing.

Ehrhoff was brought in to be the hammer on the power play. The other point-man's primary responsibility is to feed Ehrhoff the puck. That is why I seriously doubt the days of a forward at the point of the power-play are over. I would not be surprised to see Pominville at one point and Roy at the opposite half-wall feeding Erhoff while Vanek and another forward crowd the net snagging rebounds.

Ehrhoff was brought in to be the hammer on the power play. The other point-man's primary responsibility is to feed Ehrhoff the puck. That is why I seriously doubt the days of a forward at the point of the power-play are over. I would not be surprised to see Pominville at one point and Roy at the opposite half-wall feeding Erhoff while Vanek and another forward crowd the net snagging rebounds.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see it, but it's not what I want. I think Myers can do a fine job of retrieving the puck, keeping it in the zone, and either passing to Ehrhoff or firing away.

Archived