Around the NHL 2011-2012

spndnchz

Looks like Logan Couture getting extension somewhere around 2 yrs 6 mill.

That's an excellent move by SJ. It would benefit the sabres to note that other teams sign young stars early. (ennis and myers i am thinking of you) Also that makes me think that Ennis will get around 2.25-2.5 x 3 years when he gets resigned if he picks up where he left off

no, but it will be if april rolls around and Myers and Ennis aren't signed. I'm going to be like a magic 8 ball here and say, ask me again later.

Takes two to tango ... those guys might be seeing how Stafford cashed in on a big year and want to do the same. It's great for SJ Couture wanted to get it over with, but he's the exception ... RFA deals go well into the summer all the time ... Shea Weber only got done because of the arbitration, Dubinsky and Callahan went into late July, Doughty is STILL not signed (and surely even if Myers wanted to sign, he's waiting to see what Doughty gets) ... also unsigned are Luke Schenn, Bogosian, Marchand, Turris .... all these guys are very important to their teams, yet they have no contract.

Remember that list in April when all the hand-wringing begins about the Tylers if they are not extended yet ... take the Sabres to task at that point if you want, but be prepared to acknowledge that most teams (and players) in the league do business the same way.

From The Hockey News:

Rumor Roundup: Islanders seek defense

"Snow’s best trade option appears to be the Sabres, who are rumored to be trying to move Shaone Morrisonn and the last year ($2.075 million) of his contract."

Darcy does like trading with the Isle.

And with training camp starting, the team can use an extra bag of pucks. :beer:

Takes two to tango ... those guys might be seeing how Stafford cashed in on a big year and want to do the same. It's great for SJ Couture wanted to get it over with, but he's the exception ... RFA deals go well into the summer all the time ... Shea Weber only got done because of the arbitration, Dubinsky and Callahan went into late July, Doughty is STILL not signed (and surely even if Myers wanted to sign, he's waiting to see what Doughty gets) ... also unsigned are Luke Schenn, Bogosian, Marchand, Turris .... all these guys are very important to their teams, yet they have no contract.

Remember that list in April when all the hand-wringing begins about the Tylers if they are not extended yet ... take the Sabres to task at that point if you want, but be prepared to acknowledge that most teams (and players) in the league do business the same way.

dont disagree at all but a bunch of RFA's sign earlier than april and I think it would help the sabres to attempt to do that. Didn't say they must, have to, will perish if they dont but it would be beneficial is it were possible.

Lets trade Morrison to the isles for a 4th round pick and then be back to even again in the draft department

Flames trade Langkow to Phoenix for Stempniak.

Pending physical.

Perhaps the domino has fallen to initiate the second Calgary-Buffalo trade that Eklund blogs about :rolleyes:

Interesting trade. I think Stempniak could do well in Calgary depending on who he plays with. He was pretty good down the stretch a couple of seasons ago in Phoenix.

Perhaps the domino has fallen to initiate the second Calgary-Buffalo trade that Eklund blogs about :rolleyes:

Interesting trade. I think Stempniak could do well in Calgary depending on who he plays with. He was pretty good down the stretch a couple of seasons ago in Phoenix.

I hate to give it any weight because it Ek, but you never know ... Calgary cleared $2.6 million in space with the deal ... and maybe the Sabres like Stempniak ... I'd rather pay him $1.9 million to play on the 3rd line than Boyes $4 million.

I hate to give it any weight because it Ek, but you never know ... Calgary cleared $2.6 million in space with the deal ... and maybe the Sabres like Stempniak ... I'd rather pay him $1.9 million to play on the 3rd line than Boyes $4 million.

hmmm now thats interesting. Would that be a straight across trade if it occurred or are you thinking draft pick involved... Boyes switched with Stempniak to clear 2mil in cap... very interesting.

Langkow goes to Phoenix so thats minus 4.5mil

Stempniak comes the other way so thats +1.9

= -2.6 in cap now...

then Boyes comes back and stempniak leaves so thats + 2.1 in cap meaning the flames end up washing and being -.5 below where they started the day... i dont think it will happen but I like it. Also Stempniak is from West Seneca according to Yahoo NHL

hmmm now thats interesting. Would that be a straight across trade if it occurred or are you thinking draft pick involved... Boyes switched with Stempniak to clear 2mil in cap... very interesting.

Langkow goes to Phoenix so thats minus 4.5mil

Stempniak comes the other way so thats +1.9

= -2.6 in cap now...

then Boyes comes back and stempniak leaves so thats + 2.1 in cap meaning the flames end up washing and being -.5 below where they started the day... i dont think it will happen but I like it. Also Stempniak is from West Seneca according to Yahoo NHL

Well it might be or might be part of something bigger ... just thinking out loud in August ....

I was joking with my post, but I doubt the trade would be for Stempniak. What likely happens is that it would be Boyes to Calgary for someone like Stajan, Jokinen, or Hagman in return. That would give the Sabres a bit more breathing room of $500K if Stajan or $1 million if it is the other two. Then, Calgary net is less $1.6 million or less $2.1 million from where they started today. So, Buffalo saves anywhere from $500K to $1 million and Calgary saves anywhere from $1.6 million to $2.1 million. The most likely situation is Buffalo trades Boyes for Jokinen (although he does have an NMC) or Boyes for Hagman (who does not have an NMC nor NTC). I'd rather have Jokinen at $3m than Hagman as Jokinen has shown that he can score 30 goals in the NHL and he plays center while Hagman has shown he can score 20, but plays left wing and the Sabres need more center. Either way, lining up another Finn to play with Leino may create some chemistry, I don't know.

Either way, while all of this is conceivable, I do not put much weight into anything Eklund writes.

I was joking with my post, but I doubt the trade would be for Stempniak. What likely happens is that it would be Boyes to Calgary for someone like Stajan, Jokinen, or Hagman in return. That would give the Sabres a bit more breathing room of $500K if Stajan or $1 million if it is the other two. Then, Calgary net is less $1.6 million or less $2.1 million from where they started today. So, Buffalo saves anywhere from $500K to $1 million and Calgary saves anywhere from $1.6 million to $2.1 million. The most likely situation is Buffalo trades Boyes for Jokinen (although he does have an NMC) or Boyes for Hagman (who does not have an NMC nor NTC). I'd rather have Jokinen at $3m than Hagman as Jokinen has shown that he can score 30 goals in the NHL and he plays center while Hagman has shown he can score 20, but plays left wing and the Sabres need more center. Either way, lining up another Finn to play with Leino may create some chemistry, I don't know.

Either way, while all of this is conceivable, I do not put much weight into anything Eklund writes.

Well your entire scenario would not be what Eklund is hinting at anyway, as supposedly it is the Sabres side holding up the deal ... some have speculated that means Pominville won't waive his NTC ....

Whatever the case, I think IF anything goes down, it's big and it's for Iginla, so it's 95% not happening. Boyes for Jokinen is fine I guess in that it clears some of the winger logjam and brings a center, but it would mean Calgary, which has been looking for a center for Iginla forever, wouls have traded Langkow and Jokinen for two more wingers? Weird. One or both teams would probably be making other deals also, and once we get into that, we really have no idea what the heck is going on.

Well your entire scenario would not be what Eklund is hinting at anyway, as supposedly it is the Sabres side holding up the deal ... some have speculated that means Pominville won't waive his NTC ....

Whatever the case, I think IF anything goes down, it's big and it's for Iginla, so it's 95% not happening. Boyes for Jokinen is fine I guess in that it clears some of the winger logjam and brings a center, but it would mean Calgary, which has been looking for a center for Iginla forever, wouls have traded Langkow and Jokinen for two more wingers? Weird. One or both teams would probably be making other deals also, and once we get into that, we really have no idea what the heck is going on.

I don't remember if it was you or another user, but this move falls in line with exactly what I was saying in the Iginla for Pominville/Sekera/Pick thread.... Calgary is rebuilding. Ridding themselves of their overpaid, washed up veterans and getting ready to move Iginla for some key rebuilding pieces.

I don't remember if it was you or another user, but this move falls in line with exactly what I was saying in the Iginla for Pominville/Sekera/Pick thread.... Calgary is rebuilding. Ridding themselves of their overpaid, washed up veterans and getting ready to move Iginla for some key rebuilding pieces.

It was me ... and I don't disagree with the idea of them doing that, I just argued that if I was rebuilding, I would not want to be tied to Pominville's contract .... I'd rather pay Iginla more but get more leadership and production and not piss off my fanbase.

It was me ... and I don't disagree with the idea of them doing that, I just argued that if I was rebuilding, I would not want to be tied to Pominville's contract .... I'd rather pay Iginla more but get more leadership and production and not piss off my fanbase.

I don't know that the fanbase would be pissed if Iginla was traded. If they really are in rebuilding mode, it's safe to say they aren't going to seriously compete for the cup during Iginla's career. I liken it to the way Mats Sundin left Toronto, except that was via free agency rather than trade. Sure the fans were probably disappointed he didn't sign with Toronto, but I think the bulk of them probably realized they weren't going to compete for the cup those years and would much rather Sundin go and join a contender. Another example, thought not really the same circumstance, is Hasek -- I was only 10 at the time and didn't really understand all the reasoning and speculation behind trading him, but for all he gave to the franchise, I was happy he went on and won a cup.

So would Calgary fans really be that upset about trading Iginla to a contender and getting a pretty fair package of young players in return to expedite the rebuilding process? Or would they rather keep Iginla around to watch him play out the rest of his HOF-esque on a non-playoff team, and then get nothing for him when he retires (or hits UFA as a 36 year old)? Trading him now could shave a year or two off the rebuilding process.

I get the sense that Iginla is not going to get traded. He's got an NMC and I believe he is an Alberta boy. To me, it seems like Feaster is not trying to rebuild, but just trying to create some cap room. I mean, they've got some good pieces in Tanguay, Iginla, Bouwmeester, Sarich, Giordano, Glencross, and of course Kiprusoff. It's not like they need to rebuild, they just need some cap space to be able to make moves if they need to during the year, and now they have the ability to do that. Langkow was a total salary dump. Regehr is good, but they had to make that trade to get cap relief and to dump Kotalik and it seems like defense is a position they have some depth in. So, I don't think Calgary is that far off from being a playoff team, so I don't see the fire sale and the trade for Iginla anytime soon, but I could be wrong.

I'm also not sure I see why Feaster would want Pominville + stuff for Iginla as the net savings would be about $1.7 million and with other stuff probably $1 million in total cap space. And while I love Pominville, I just don't understand why Feaster would voluntarily take such a bad deal and royally screw himself. The Regehr trade made sense to me as that was clearly to create cap space. Pominville + stuff for Iginla makes no sense to me as the cap space gained would be minimal, any draft pick would likely be mid to late first round, and while the prospect pool is extremely deep in Buffalo it doesn't offset the loss of Iginla. Like you said, IF this were to happen, that means another trade would be in the works and that likely means Patrick Marleau would be coming to Calgary if Iginla got traded (that's my speculation at least).

I don't know that the fanbase would be pissed if Iginla was traded. If they really are in rebuilding mode, it's safe to say they aren't going to seriously compete for the cup during Iginla's career. I liken it to the way Mats Sundin left Toronto, except that was via free agency rather than trade. Sure the fans were probably disappointed he didn't sign with Toronto, but I think the bulk of them probably realized they weren't going to compete for the cup those years and would much rather Sundin go and join a contender. Another example, thought not really the same circumstance, is Hasek -- I was only 10 at the time and didn't really understand all the reasoning and speculation behind trading him, but for all he gave to the franchise, I was happy he went on and won a cup.

So would Calgary fans really be that upset about trading Iginla to a contender and getting a pretty fair package of young players in return to expedite the rebuilding process? Or would they rather keep Iginla around to watch him play out the rest of his HOF-esque on a non-playoff team, and then get nothing for him when he retires (or hits UFA as a 36 year old)? Trading him now could shave a year or two off the rebuilding process.

Whatever else we disagree on, trust me when I say Hasek leaving was NOTHING like Iginla possibly leaving. Hasek threatened to retire, undermining any chance of a fair package in return, and then vetoed the offer the Sabres did get from Detroit by repeating the retirement threat, making sure they did not get anything close to fair value. So no, the fans might not be as pissed as we were at Hasek IF Iginla brought a good package.

But as SabresFan536 says, and I keep saying, so I apologize, if you are going to rebuild, Pominville is NOT the way to go. He doesn't clear much space and he's not that young. You want to send them Sekera too, which actually means they are taking on salary ... how is that a smart rebuilding plan? Pay more for worse players, one of which will be past his prime by the time we are good again? Iginla to Buffalo (or anywhere) in a rebuilding plan is fine, but ... I suppose I shouldn't speak for Calgary fans, but if I was one, I would certainly be pissed. Not because of trading Iginla so much as what we got.

Whatever else we disagree on, trust me when I say Hasek leaving was NOTHING like Iginla possibly leaving. Hasek threatened to retire, undermining any chance of a fair package in return, and then vetoed the offer the Sabres did get from Detroit by repeating the retirement threat, making sure they did not get anything close to fair value. So no, the fans might not be as pissed as we were at Hasek IF Iginla brought a good package.

But as SabresFan536 says, and I keep saying, so I apologize, if you are going to rebuild, Pominville is NOT the way to go. He doesn't clear much space and he's not that young. You want to send them Sekera too, which actually means they are taking on salary ... how is that a smart rebuilding plan? Pay more for worse players, one of which will be past his prime by the time we are good again? Iginla to Buffalo (or anywhere) in a rebuilding plan is fine, but ... I suppose I shouldn't speak for Calgary fans, but if I was one, I would certainly be pissed. Not because of trading Iginla so much as what we got.

agreed on all accounts but I feel that Calgary has one of the dumbest GM's in the entire league and I am being serious. Who and how he spends money boggles the mind and Jokinen is lazy and yet he was brought back to be lazy a 3rd time. Idk if its all the GM's fault but some big names have gone into calgary and died away... Bouwmeester comes to mind as does Jokinen and maybe even stajan... If you can convince them Pommers sekera and a 1st is better than old Iginla then awesome for us and haha for them but I doubt it.

Like I said on Hasek, "it wasn't the same circumstance," but as a fan of his I was happy to see him go somewhere and win a cup. I would rather that have happened than have him go play for some second rate team and never make playoffs again.

You're missing the point on Pominville. The move isn't about salary. Taking on Pominville's salary means nothing because they will have more than enough cap room to handle it until he's due for renewal, in which he will probably not make nearly the same amount of money. The point is Iginla doesn't have too much time left, and if you're going to get a good deal for him, you have to do it now, not next season (maybe at the deadline though :thumbsup: ) -- nobody is going to overpay for a 35 year old with one year left on his contract. Pominville is a solid two-way veteran forward to mentor their younger prospects who should be phased into the roster over the next few seasons. He is not coming in to be the next Iginla, he is just a solid first or second line player to help guide along the younger players, and if he proves his worth he could be a nice fit in their top 6. Sekera has had a promising few years now and especially took strides over the course of last season. He could easily fit into their Top 4 and probably eventually make his way on the powerplay unit. If you throw in Pysyk and a draft pick, it's probably the best deal you're going to get, unless someone is willing to part ways with an elite level prospect, which certainly would not be worth it for two years a 34 year old veteran. Especially given the likelihood that in 2 years when he becomes a UFA, he would probably take a discount to return to Calgary and finish out his career at a reasonable price that would still allow them to sign other good players. He seems like that kind of guy.

Archived