Buffalo Sabres 2011 Development Camp

spndnchz

I agree, I think he is the first callup, but he stays in Rochester for this year & replaces Jochen next year.

That was actually my thoughts exactly. Keep Jochen here for the rest of this year, maybe even trade him at the deadline, but let Adam be the replacement for him.

I hope Luke Adam works hard in camp, he needs to be able to improve his game and make this team. I think his ability to be physical could help the sabres down the center.

I really don't think he's ready yet. I think he needs another year of development but hey, that's just my opinion

I agree, I think he is the first callup, but he stays in Rochester for this year & replaces Jochen next year.

I deliberately didn't say make the team this year. I meant in general. I am thinking of him as hopefully a 2nd line center at some point. I am skeptical that he will be on the starting roster but I do believe he will be the first callup. Adam is in a wonderful spot, he isn't a defender or a wing. The question is can he mature enough as a hockey player to lock down a roster spot and be a contributor at the NHL level. Last year during his call up we saw that he is not a huge liability, he can score, has to work on his speed a bit, and also he has the frame to go in the dirty areas. I actually believe that his 19 game NHL experience probably helped his development significantly because he saw what was needed of him. I really do hope that he has progressed since that time because I have liked him every since we acquired him. Any guy who makes it this far must have a very good work ethic and like Gerbe has proven, work ethic helps you achieve things others would fail at.

Its at the end but the highlights from this game are great:

I deliberately didn't say make the team this year. I meant in general. I am thinking of him as hopefully a 2nd line center at some point. I am skeptical that he will be on the starting roster but I do believe he will be the first callup. Adam is in a wonderful spot, he isn't a defender or a wing. The question is can he mature enough as a hockey player to lock down a roster spot and be a contributor at the NHL level. Last year during his call up we saw that he is not a huge liability, he can score, has to work on his speed a bit, and also he has the frame to go in the dirty areas. I actually believe that his 19 game NHL experience probably helped his development significantly because he saw what was needed of him. I really do hope that he has progressed since that time because I have liked him every since we acquired him. Any undrafted guy who makes it this far must have a very good work ethic and like Gerbe has proven, work ethic helps you achieve things others would fail at.

Its at the end but the highlights from this game are great:

I'll give you that.

Any undrafted guy who makes it this far must have a very good work ethic and like Gerbe has proven, work ethic helps you achieve things others would fail at.

Selected by Buffalo Sabres round 2 #44 overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96396

I'm assuming you got the undrafted thing from Yahoo, I noticed it was wrong on there awhile ago.

Actually, he might be a wing. Both Devine and Ruff have said that there is a split within the organization.

My guess is that if they weren't so thin down the middle, he'd be playing wing.

I think you are right.

I could see Adam playing both positions in any given game, depending on the situation/score.

I'm assuming you got the undrafted thing from Yahoo, I noticed it was wrong on there awhile ago.

you know i should have double checked it, because i kept thinking to myself "i saw him drafted didn't i?" Thxs for the correction. A 2nd round guy probably has more upside. I fixed it in the post and think that Adam can work hard and do well, whether it is this year or next is really up to Adam and the coaching staff. (I hope he makes it! :thumbsup: )

you know i should have double checked it, because i kept thinking to myself "i saw him drafted didn't i?" Thxs for the correction. A 2nd round guy probably has more upside. I fixed it in the post and think that Adam can work hard and do well, whether it is this year or next is really up to Adam and the coaching staff. (I hope he makes it! :thumbsup: )

I was skimming thru most of your post and I totally missed the 'un' part in front of drafted...wow...yeah...good thing it's Friday.

and "mbossysabre"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylYV9K-Zebk

I think that's Kevyn Adams running the drills.

I'm thinking Catenacci was the first guy on the right side and the last guy on the left? If so he has demonstrably better skating and puck-handling skills than anyone else in that video. Add that to his raw speed and I hope this kid makes it to Rochester this season.

Thanks for posting, chz.

GO SABRES!!!

Can someone tell me what Luke Adam's skill set is? In all the games I've seen, I couldnt tell you what he is actually good at.

Maybe a comparison to a current NHLer would be apt.

just off the top of my head....

Big physical forward that uses his body to protect possession. Nice shot, pretty good vision and surprising passing skills, loves to gobble up loose pucks near the net.

strong on the puck, but isn't a center that is going to wow you with open ice moves or dangles. The knock on him has been his skating, but he really does get a lot of momentum once he's moving. And although in the NHL last year he skated hard into the D zone....once there he often had no idea who to pick up. He would just seem lost for a few seconds - which at that level can kill you.

just off the top of my head....

Big physical forward that uses his body to protect possession. Nice shot, pretty good vision and surprising passing skills, loves to gobble up loose pucks near the net.

strong on the puck, but isn't a center that is going to wow you with open ice moves or dangles. The knock on him has been his skating, but he really does get a lot of momentum once he's moving. And although in the NHL last year he skated hard into the D zone....once there he often had no idea who to pick up. He would just seem lost for a few seconds - which at that level can kill you.

Agreed, but I thought he got better as time went on and at time showed he could really use his big frame to control defenders in the corners while little guys dug it out. I thought Kassian early in the season looked even more lost. Guess that most go with the territory with these big guys.

I'm thinking Catenacci was the first guy on the right side and the last guy on the left? If so he has demonstrably better skating and puck-handling skills than anyone else in that video. Add that to his raw speed and I hope this kid makes it to Rochester this season.

Can't, not old enough.

Can someone tell me what Luke Adam's skill set is? In all the games I've seen, I couldnt tell you what he is actually good at.

Maybe a comparison to a current NHLer would be apt.

Right after you posted this I went a Googlin' to see if I could drum up a scouting report on Luke Adam. And I found.................... absolutely nothing of any substance. :blink:

Right after you posted this I went a Googlin' to see if I could drum up a scouting report on Luke Adam. And I found.................... absolutely nothing of any substance. :blink:

Here's his profile from Hockey's Future:

Adam has a limited game, but he executes it effectively. He is very good in front of the net, and uses his size to his advantage. He is not a strong skater, but his ability to muck in the corners and chip away at rebounds can be an important asset. Although he does not have a great deal of upside, he is very good in front of the net, and projects as an effective role player.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/luke_adam

But I don't think it's been updated since he turned pro

Agreed, but I thought he got better as time went on and at time showed he could really use his big frame to control defenders in the corners while little guys dug it out. I thought Kassian early in the season looked even more lost. Guess that most go with the territory with these big guys.

I can't recall just where I found it but a couple weeks agoI read an interesting article on the draft. The author cautioned against over-rating guys who mature early and are dominant in juniors because of their size and strength. Mostly because that size and strength advantage is whittled away to just a marginal advantage (if any) when they make the jump to the big league. I suspect that was Kassians' issue in the preseason last year. He hadn't learned how to use his skill yet when he was faced with competition that was older than him and much closer to his size and strength. Hopefully he learns how to do it in Rochester this year.

Sooooo..... Luke Adam = Paul Gaustad? :blink:

I think his skating keeps him from being a top 6 forward.

I can't recall just where I found it but a couple weeks agoI read an interesting article on the draft. The author cautioned against over-rating guys who mature early and are dominant in juniors because of their size and strength. Mostly because that size and strength advantage is whittled away to just a marginal advantage (if any) when they make the jump to the big league. I suspect that was Kassians' issue in the preseason last year. He hadn't learned how to use his skill yet when he was faced with competition that was older than him and much closer to his size and strength. Hopefully he learns how to do it in Rochester this year.

McNeil, from this most recent draft, comes to mind.

First guy that comes to mind as an Adam comparable is Joe Nieuwendyk.

Not a great skater, but good enough. Nice hands, smart, scorer's touch, protects the puck well, great short game.

We should be so lucky.

I think his skating keeps him from being a top 6 forward.

McNeil, from this most recent draft, comes to mind.

IIRC, Landeskog was the player being talked about specifically. In the authors' eyes Landeskog was rated much higher than he should have been because his physical maturity was a bigger factor in his success than his talent level to date.

Here's his profile from Hockey's Future:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/luke_adam

But I don't think it's been updated since he turned pro

Hockey's Future is a great site and was the first website I remember using to keep tabs on prospects, but their player profiles are notorious for not being updated regularly. The original talent analysis could be older than 2010 as well. It doesn't jive with the "7.5" (first/second line player) ceiling they give him.

He's shown a ton of potential the past two years. He's also a big player who goes to the net and there's never a bad time to have one of those.

Archived