How the Bruins were built

thesportsbuff

Great article. Read it here.

I want to focus on this portion of it:

A breakdown of the Bruins since 2005-06

Holdovers: Three (Bergeron, Thomas, Krejci)

Free agency: Four (Recchi, Ryder, Chara, Thornton)

Trade: 11 (Horton, Peverley, Ference, Kaberle, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Paille, Kelly, Campbell, McQuaid, Rask)

Draft: Three (Marchand, Lucic, Seguin)

Interesting, right?

Great article. Read it here.

I want to focus on this portion of it:

A breakdown of the Bruins since 2005-06

Holdovers: Three (Bergeron, Thomas, Krejci)

Free agency: Four (Recchi, Ryder, Chara, Thornton)

Trade: 11 (Horton, Peverley, Ference, Kaberle, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Paille, Kelly, Campbell, McQuaid, Rask)

Draft: Three (Marchand, Lucic, Seguin)

Interesting, right?

Buffalo,

Holdovers: sucky player, sucky player, overpaid player

Draft : tiny prospect, another tiny prospect, jolly green giant

Trades : outta shape guy, guy that has the accuracy of pominville, guy that coulndt cut it on other teams.

Free agents: guy that left and won cup with other teams

Ok now that I got that outta my system : ) boston def did something right. They will Prolly have a tough team next year as well. Maybe we'll actually have a captain this season. Don't get me wrong, im optimistic, but at the same time, im in the process of deficating out some quaker steak and lubes atomic wings and that is making me grumpy ; )

Buffalo,

Holdovers: sucky player, sucky player, overpaid player

Draft : tiny prospect, another tiny prospect, jolly green giant

Trades : outta shape guy, guy that has the accuracy of pominville, guy that coulndt cut it on other teams.

Free agents: guy that left and won cup with other teams

Ok now that I got that outta my system : ) boston def did something right. They will Prolly have a tough team next year as well. Maybe we'll actually have a captain this season. Don't get me wrong, im optimistic, but at the same time, im in the process of deficating out some quaker steak and lubes atomic wings and that is making me grumpy ; )

We need more guys on our team who deficate grumply some atomic wings... then maybe we would be gritty and win stuff like the bruins, ALTHOUGH: The bruins were able to win because they relied on a team system not a talent system and I think that is also a key. The bruins have talent but do not rely on it alone unlike the canucks did. Think 06-07 sabres... talent wins round 1 and 2 but gets turned upside down by a team in round 3. Not saying the sabres were not a team but that they did not have buckle down and win mentality that got them within a period of facing the oilers for the cup.

Well, hopefully, now that OSP and Quinny are out of the picture, things may turn around. After all, when Darcy arrived on the scene, it wasn't long before we were in the Stanley Cup finals.

Ah, if only the Rigases hadn't screwed up like they did :rolleyes:

Well, hopefully, now that OSP and Quinny are out of the picture, things may turn around. After all, when Darcy arrived on the scene, it wasn't long before we were in the Stanley Cup finals.

Ah, if only the Rigases hadn't screwed up like they did :rolleyes:

Being from a small PA town near where the Rigases were from i've always had a soft spot for the old man. He really was a kind man.

Being from a small PA town near where the Rigases were from i've always had a soft spot for the old man. He really was a kind man.

I've heard that too. Unfortunately, his criminal record supersedes everything else that he did.

I've heard that too. Unfortunately, his criminal record supersedes everything else that he did.

Plus, ask anyone living in Coudersport what they think. Literally all of the population there either worked, was related to someone who worked, or lived next door to someone who worked there. Not so much now.

Also, Rigas threw a party, right before all hell broke loose, where an ice-sculpture Venus De Milo lactated White Russians. Seriously, if he wasn't in jail for other reasons, he deserved to go for that. Nero was killed by his bodyguards for less ostentatious displays of depravity..

Plus, ask anyone living in Coudersport what they think. Literally all of the population there either worked, was related to someone who worked, or lived next door to someone who worked there. Not so much now.

Also, Rigas threw a party, right before all hell broke loose, where an ice-sculpture Venus De Milo lactated White Russians. Seriously, if he wasn't in jail for other reasons, he deserved to go for that. Nero was killed by his bodyguards for less ostentatious displays of depravity..

Word is the party in the plaza will have something similar with Harry Neale lactating Bloody Caesars.

Mirtle is always good......

In sentence it could be Chara, Thomas, and center depth down the middle. Trap and choke.

What team ever won the cup with 8 power play playoff goals? (Buffalo had 5 in the playoffs)

Note who scored all four goals in game seven.

My completely uneducated view on that family, it always seemed like little Timmy was the real driving force behind the jail time.

Looking through your breakdown, it shows how well the Bruins used all aspects of acquisition.Chara came through free agency, Lucic through the draft, Horton from a trade, now that's using everything to your advantage.

Let's not forget the Wrecking Ball...

Hilarious! How can anyone be angry that Dan Paille won a Stanley Cup. :doh:

Looking at how the Bruins were built two words come to mind, opportunity and risk. This is a franchise that took advantage of opportunities when they became available like acquiring Chara and Horton. This was a franchise willing to take risks like acquiring Kaberle and trading away a player like Kessel. Did they bat 1.000 on every move, of course not. I truly hope Terry Pegula was paying attention. There are no rewards without risks and opportunities to acquire top end talent can't be ignored. Those are concepts Pegula needs to instil into Regier for this franchise to be successful.

I completely forgot about that. Just so sickening. He happened to be in the right place at the right time. <_<

Paille played awesome in the Cup series. He deserves it just as much as anyone on the Bruins. Who do u think shut down the twins and killed their PP.

The key for the Bruins winning this series was 3 things- 1. Poor goaltending by Luongo. 2. Superb goaltending by Thomas and 3. Horton being wheeled off the iced and in turn providing the Bruins with an extra edge in the motivation department.

I don't think Luongo played all THAT poorly, but he definitely deserves some of the blame. But, while I think it's nice to say that Boston rallied around Horton's injury and all that, truth be told Boston was never being badly outplayed in the series. They lost a game with 20 seconds and lost one in OT -- it's not like Vancouver was blowing them out or anything. IDK. The Horton hit happened, and it sucked for Boston, but who's to say they weren't going to win their games at home anyway? Just trying to look at things realistically. Think people are blowing the whole "Horton's injury motivated the team" thing out of proportion just a tad.

The key for the Bruins winning this series was 3 things- 1. Poor goaltending by Luongo. 2. Superb goaltending by Thomas and 3. Horton being wheeled off the iced and in turn providing the Bruins with an extra edge in the motivation department. Poor play by Edler and Ehrhoff.

Fixed. And I'd put Luongo and the D as 1 and 1a. It went to game 7, if they could have put it together for just 1 game, it wouldn't have mattered how good Thomas played or the whole 'rally around 18'.

Archived