Jeanneret coming back

spndnchz

Jeanneret saying the phrase "...and the Sabres win the Stanley Cup!" has already been playing in my mind for the last decade or so. I'd love to hear it for real.....

I would love to hear those words come from him...and if he thinks of retiring, he needs to secretly record those words, and put them away for when that day comes, if i don't hear RJ's voice, it just won't feel the same somehow... :cry:

There's a dead lady singing in Philadelphia... Just saying...

What's keeping him from doing road games, watching on a 50" in Buffalo?

Tons of sports broadcasters do this around the world, and often you couldn't even tell the difference.

I realise it would take some of the between play stuff away, as you're limited by the camera view, but I'd be willing to accept this if it meant hearing Rick's play-by-play.

Tons of sports broadcasters do this around the world, and often you couldn't even tell the difference.

I realise it would take some of the between play stuff away, as you're limited by the camera view, but I'd be willing to accept this if it meant hearing Rick's play-by-play.

I wouldn't. I don't think you can replace the insight that someone traveling with the team provides.

Can they get Jim Lorentz to come back if the schedule was reduced. He was one of the best analysts ever. his nowledge of the game really complimented Ricks. exuberance.

I think he's still writing his salmon fishing book.

I didn't think I would ever say this, but I actually thought Sylvester was the best of the fill-ins last season. Having him be that guy might force a change in the pre/postgame show they don't want to make, but ...

I also think that Ray or Roby or any combination of them doing analysis would be worlds better than Harry ...

I didn't mind Sylvester in the play by play role as much as I thought I would. If it would get him off the pre/post game show I'm all for it.

That's all well and good, until they pan to him for the intermission recap and he's lounging in his lazy boy drinking Lambrusco while rocking tighty whities and a Cheeto smeared wife beater. I don't want to see Rick like that.

That was my understanding too.

Maybe on the radio. But I think once any team gets deep into the playoffs all TV is either Versus, NHL Network or NBC with national play-by-play and commentary, like Doc Emmerick. Local announcers and feeds, at least here in Boston, are blacked out.

That's all well and good, until they pan to him for the intermission recap and he's lounging in his lazy boy drinking Lambrusco while rocking tighty whities and a Cheeto smeared wife beater. I don't want to see Rick like that.

I've got wood.

Neither would I, though I very much doubt it would be an issue :thumbsup:

Speed's Formula One broadcast team does nearly all of its commentary sitting in front of a monitor - they have one Pit lane reporter who actually goes to the races and Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett sit in Barca-loungers in a studio in Connecticut and call the races from Turkey, China, et al. Hell, back in the day (like, the '30s), baseball announcers did radio broadcasts of games from the studio while getting phone updates from a reporter who was actually at the game. THAT took some creativity.

With today's technology, RJ could broadcast games from his house (even home games). If you still have Rob Ray (or whomever) between the benches, it would be easy to pull this off and the viewers at home wouldn't know the difference.

One of the reasons Neale left Hockey Night in Canada was that he and Bob Cole were constantly mis-identifying players and not seeing plays as they actually happened. Cole is still doing play-by-play and he makes at least four or five gaffes per game. With Harry Neale alongside, you'd wonder if they were watching a different game. Keep RJ for as long as possible; get Roby back in the booth. He was great when he did it some years back. (Of course, if Lorentz could get a lounge chair next to RJ.....) :clapping:

Speed's Formula One broadcast team does nearly all of its commentary sitting in front of a monitor - they have one Pit lane reporter who actually goes to the races and Bob Varsha, David Hobbs and Steve Matchett sit in Barca-loungers in a studio in Connecticut and call the races from Turkey, China, et al. Hell, back in the day (like, the '30s), baseball announcers did radio broadcasts of games from the studio while getting phone updates from a reporter who was actually at the game. THAT took some creativity.

With today's technology, RJ could broadcast games from his house (even home games). If you still have Rob Ray (or whomever) between the benches, it would be easy to pull this off and the viewers at home wouldn't know the difference.

One of the reasons Neale left Hockey Night in Canada was that he and Bob Cole were constantly mis-identifying players and not seeing plays as they actually happened. Cole is still doing play-by-play and he makes at least four or five gaffes per game. With Harry Neale alongside, you'd wonder if they were watching a different game. Keep RJ for as long as possible; get Roby back in the booth. He was great when he did it some years back. (Of course, if Lorentz could get a lounge chair next to RJ.....) :clapping:

It's been done for a Sabres game once before.

I would not want to see it done on a regular basis.

I think I'd be a fan of Hamilton and Ray box, with Kevin and Roby still doing the intermission stuff, and Marty Biron between the benches. I figure they just turn Marty's mic on and off, because the dude's never gonna stop talking.

I totally want Biron as the bench guy! I love Marty and hes awesome anyways. BRING BACK BIRON!

I enjoy the old man ramblings of RJ and Neale. It's very Statler and Waldorf, or Grampa Simpson-esque. "Give me 5 bees for a quarter, you'd say"

I wish I could get to this place. Everytime, less say once a game, Harry opens his mouth it's either captain obvious, lets jinx the Sabres time, how far away a shot was, or insert one of ten most rambled hockey cliches. It gets real old, real quick.

Bring back half the '98-'99 Sabres team to be the broadcast team.

Rick does play by play from his Lazy Boy, Matt Barnaby does color (he tried out for this job before when Jim left), Rob Ray's between the benches, Mike Peca and Marty Biron lead the intermission report, Ted Nolan gets a coach's corner three minutes, Jason Woolley is the "Armchair Powerplay Quarterback" gimmick analyst, and Stu Barnes does some funny ###### with kids or something.

I wish I could get to this place. Everytime, less say once a game, Harry opens his mouth it's either captain obvious, lets jinx the Sabres time, how far away a shot was, or insert one of ten most rambled hockey cliches. It gets real old, real quick.

Have to agree, and it boggles my mind how I thought he was a great color commentator paired with Bob Cole. I cringe when he speaks sometimes.

Have to agree, and it boggles my mind how I thought he was a great color commentator paired with Bob Cole. I cringe when he speaks sometimes.

He was. He's older now, but I think he also asked himself "WTF did I get myself into" when coming to Buffalo and having to go day in and day out watching this team. RJ is a total homer and Harry is more of a realist. That doesn't mean that RJ hasn't weathered the storm better though.

He was. He's older now, but I think he also asked himself "WTF did I get myself into" when coming to Buffalo and having to go day in and day out watching this team. RJ is a total homer and Harry is more of a realist. That doesn't mean that RJ hasn't weathered the storm better though.

Honestly, I've always thought the reason he was worse here was that he couldn't keep up with RJ. Bob Cole is so low key and anticlimactic. Even Jim Hughson is low key compared to RJ (though Hughson is my fav in the league). With Cole, he had a few more seconds to collect before he said anything. I for one took Lorenz for granted and would really love to have him back.

• 1 month later...
The Buffalo Sabres today announced the reduced schedule of games that the broadcast team of Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale will work during the 2011-12 season. In total, Jeanneret and Neale will call 57 regular season games (39 home, 18 away), with Kevin Sylvester and Danny Gare taking over the remaining 23 games.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569122&cmpid=rss-News

Interesting that RJ chose to avoid NYC completely, and only make 1 of the trips to NJ. Must be too much hustle and bustle...

Rick has complained for years about the difficulties reading the numbers and calling games from MSG.

It is also a situation where they aren't the featured feed on their own network.

Avoiding Nassau ....well that just seems like a nice perk. :lol:

Archived