• Beer
    • Light Beer
    • Rum
    • Wine
    • Whiskey
    • Vodka
    • Tequila
    • Some other form of Rat Poison

Most light beers need to be lower in alcohol content to keep the calories down. Alcohol is metabolized for energy too, hence the calories. If light beers weren't lower in alcohol they wouldn't have calorie counts as low as they do.

I don't think Sam Adams has brewed Triple Bock since the late 90's, maybe 2000. It was a very cloying beer. Not my cup of tea.

Yeah, I'm one of "those guys".

To be honest, most of the Sam Adams special beers are sh*t. I like good Imperial Stouts and doppelbocks and the like, but Sam Adams does a great job of messing those up.

Great Lakes on the other hand... :beer:

Doesn't light beer become light due to caloric numbers not % of alcohol? Light beer when your driving. Thats just great.

Yup, I like to be sober by the time I leave games, or anywhere else I've driven too. Therefore, light beer. Way to assume I'm getting trashed and driving. <_<

Start it off with some scotch on the rocks- Dewars, Johnny Walker, or whatever is on top of my fridge and follow it up with ice cold Labatt Blue (beer got my vote). I don't know what it is, but that is my go to beer for both Sabres and Bills games. I think cause I don't live in the region so it can be hard to find and drinking it takes me straight back to pearl street, the arena, the ralph, anchor bar, BSG, etc.

To be honest, most of the Sam Adams special beers are sh*t. I like good Imperial Stouts and doppelbocks and the like, but Sam Adams does a great job of messing those up.

Great Lakes on the other hand... :beer:

Careful. I could easily turn this into a 10 page beer conversation. :thumbsup:

Overall I thing SA beers are good quality and pretty spot on for style. Alot of them aren't enthusiast beers though. I really enjoy Noble Pils and their Scotch Ale is one I look for. Lattitude 48 is a nice, if unspectacular, IPA. I like Stock Ale as well but never seem to find it anymore.

And Great Lakes doesn't make a bad beer. Edmund Fitz is my favorite porter.

Careful. I could easily turn this into a 10 page beer conversation. :thumbsup:

Overall I thing SA beers are good quality and pretty spot on for style. Alot of them aren't enthusiast beers though. I really enjoy Noble Pils and their Scotch Ale is one I look for. Lattitude 48 is a nice, if unspectacular, IPA. I like Stock Ale as well but never seem to find it anymore.

And Great Lakes doesn't make a bad beer. Edmund Fitz is my favorite porter.

I greatly enjoy Edmund Fitzgerald. I'm a porter kinda guy, especially during the winter months. The Holy Moses White really tickles my fancy for some reason.

They have a new Doppelbock out that I've never seen before, Doppelrock. It's solid.

Generally Sam Adams seems to do better with lighter beers. The Noble Pils is good.

I also have an affinity for Sierra Nevada. I've never had a bad beer from them. Kona also makes some good brews, for something a little unique.

Don't ask me to pick a favorite beer either. I just can't do it. :beer:

edit: had this on tap at MacGregor's the other night and liked it. Not too heavy to have with food, which was nice.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/563/17701/?ba=pjbear05

I greatly enjoy Edmund Fitzgerald. I'm a porter kinda guy, especially during the winter months. The Holy Moses White really tickles my fancy for some reason.

They have a new Doppelbock out that I've never seen before, Doppelrock. It's solid.

Generally Sam Adams seems to do better with lighter beers. The Noble Pils is good.

I also have an affinity for Sierra Nevada. I've never had a bad beer from them. Kona also makes some good brews, for something a little unique.

Don't ask me to pick a favorite beer either. I just can't do it. :beer:

edit: had this on tap at MacGregor's the other night and liked it. Not too heavy to have with food, which was nice.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/563/17701/?ba=pjbear05

Favorite beer? Hell, I can't even pick out a favorite style. Every beer has an occassion.

I've been known to darken the doorway of the Henrietta McGregor's location from time to time. I like to sit on one of their barstools on Sunday afternoons. I dunno why. Seems like a quiet Sunday buzz just suits me. It's a bit of a drive for me so I don't do it often, and I need to coordinate with the missus. She shops for a bit then picks my ass up and drags me home. They are opening their first Buffalo location soon. They are taking over the old Hooter's location on Maple near UB. Word on the street is 85 taps. Nice.

Really people need to get into rum drinking. From Captain to Barcardi gold to Curzan mango... havent found a rum that doesnt taste great and that doesnt mix with stuff I always have around (lemonade, coke, sprite, cider (with captain so freaking good!) mexicants...)

Favorite beer? Hell, I can't even pick out a favorite style. Every beer has an occassion.

I've been known to darken the doorway of the Henrietta McGregor's location from time to time. I like to sit on one of their barstools on Sunday afternoons. I dunno why. Seems like a quiet Sunday buzz just suits me. It's a bit of a drive for me so I don't do it often, and I need to coordinate with the missus. She shops for a bit then picks my ass up and drags me home. They are opening their first Buffalo location soon. They are taking over the old Hooter's location on Maple near UB. Word on the street is 85 taps. Nice.

That's awesome that they're expanding to Buffalo. It's a perfect hangout bar, and the beer selection cannot be beat. Buffalo will embrace MacG's.

There's a bar right by my house that has 88 taps. Super######inghandy. The only downside is that almost all of the good Wisconsin and northeastern beers don't distribute out here, like Great Lakes, Capital Brewery, New Glarus, Lakefront, Ithaca, Yuengling, Saranac, etc, or any Canadian beers.

There's some really good, skilled brewers in California and Oregon that brew good all sorts of decent exotics (like flavored stouts and IPAs and Belgians and Trappists and whites and hop-heavy ales and other weird gimmicky things, etc), but finding a good solid pilsener, lager, amber lager, red ale, or full-body porter on tap is nearly impossible. The previously mentioned midwestern and eastern breweries have these fundamental beers perfectly finessed; I miss them.

My perfect fridge from light to dark:

Blue

Yuengling

New Glarus Spotted Cow

Capital Blonde Dopplebock

Capital Wisconsin Amber Lager

Great Lakes Burning River

Ithaca Cascazilla

Saranac Black Forest

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

(Guinness+Bass)

An 85 tap bar in Buffalo would have the potential carry an absolutely dynamite selection, I hope it's well managed.

edit: And just to stay on topic, I stand by my previous statement that Blue would be my first choice for game watching.

Yup, I like to be sober by the time I leave games, or anywhere else I've driven too. Therefore, light beer. Way to assume I'm getting trashed and driving. <_<

Must have a quick liver to process the alcohol so quickly wow.Driving while you just have a "buzz" is just as bad.

Must have a quick liver to process the alcohol so quickly wow.Driving while you just have a "buzz" is just as bad.

Most people can process one beer per hour. A hockey game is three hours long at least. I'm also a big person with a high metabolism and tolerance to alcohol. I have no problem being sober after three beers at a game. Don't worry about me Officer Fife.

Most people can process one beer per hour. A hockey game is three hours long at least. I'm also a big person with a high metabolism and tolerance to alcohol. I have no problem being sober after three beers at a game. Don't worry about me Officer Fife.

If you really want to send him over the egde, tell him how you take your 4yo to the games without a car seat, then celebrate a victory with a cigar on the ride home as you keep the windows sealed tight.

If you really want to send him over the egde, tell him how you take your 4yo to the games without a car seat, then celebrate a victory with a cigar on the ride home as you keep the windows sealed tight.

I don't see the problem. The sealed windows keep the smoke from reaching the kid while he's strapped on the roof of the car.

If two things ever deserved each other in life.....it's the Buffalo Sabres and Milwaukee's Best Ice

Bash it all you want, good sir, but I've been drinking the Beast Ice since I was in high school and it's still my favorite beer to this day. 5.9% alcohol by volume and still only $6 a 12 pack. I can afford to drink the fancier microbrews and imports nowadays, but I'll stick with what I know best and still prefer, even if it is mass produced corn water.

Bash it all you want, good sir, but I've been drinking the Beast Ice since I was in high school and it's still my favorite beer to this day. 5.9% alcohol by volume and still only $6 a 12 pack. I can afford to drink the fancier microbrews and imports nowadays, but I'll stick with what I know best and still prefer, even if it is mass produced corn water.

I get a kick out of the fact you assumed I meant they are both crappy....yet you come to defense of the beer over the team. :lol:

I get a kick out of the fact you assumed I meant they are both crappy....yet you come to defense of the beer over the team. :lol:

What can I say, man. I love my beer. Plus I figured there was a better chance that others would chastise your assumed insult of the Sabres. I figure we're all fans here though, some are just more optimistic about the direction of the team than others, so I don't take another fans bleaker outlook on the team personally. Most people rip on the Beast though, but that's just another thing that I like about it. When I was in high school and college and I crammed my 24 pack suitcase into someone's fridge full of Bud Light, Coors, Heineken, etc. I always knew my beer would be the last to be swiped by the free loaders of the party.

LMAO

The short response would have been... there is no such thing as bad beer. :P

1st choice beer, lager, weizen, porters, stouts, no problem just has to be cold although I will pass on bud or ice beers.

More recently I have begun to really appreciate where less is more in a good bourbon or a single malt scotch or a dry vodka martini up with an olive.

Last on special occasions I like to follow up with and finish my bourbon or scotch with a good cigar.

Blue light or Aviator Red. Might start with a light then go Aviator (can't go the other way) at the Arena.

Of course it's margarita's at home.

Let's just admit that it's whatever you can get your hands on, ok, drunky?

(For me, it's whisky before the game and then usually nothing during the game.)

There's a bar right by my house that has 88 taps. Super######inghandy.

An 85 tap bar in Buffalo would have the potential carry an absolutely dynamite selection, I hope it's well managed.

edit: And just to stay on topic, I stand by my previous statement that Blue would be my first choice for game watching.

85 beer tap is awesome! Anyone know of a place in buffalo that comes close? I was thinking Brew Pub or maybe Pearl Street or Alternative brews but hey I am sure we could find a place.

anything to do with drinking or hockey is on topic for this thread. Its fun and edumacational! :beer:

Let's just admit that it's whatever you can get your hands on, ok, drunky?

(For me, it's whisky before the game and then usually nothing during the game.)

But but but.. I'm a functional drunk! :thumbsup:

PBR in a can or maybe some regional micro. Switch to whiskey in the third if it's a blowout loss.

There used to be a mini-mart down the street that sold Genny Cream Ale longnecks (for a brutal $6.50 a six pack), but they stopped a couple of years ago because I was the only person buying it. It's the only place I have ever seen Genny product in Montana.

Archived