Team MVP?

chileanseabass

at this point of the season (i know there's a lot to go) who would say is this team's MVP? not necessarily based on points (or wins for goalies) but the overall most valuable player?

MVP: Jochen Hecht (+12, 1 ot goal, 4 gwg, 2 shg, 4 ppg, 18+ mins per game)

Unsung Hero: Mike Grier

at this point of the season (i know there's a lot to go) who would say is this team's MVP? not necessarily based on points (or wins for goalies) but the overall most valuable player?

Team MVP: Lindy Ruff.

Unsung Hero: Lindy Ruff.

Just to be different... Marty Biron. How huge was his play after Miller was injured to help the Sabres avoid another November/December collapse?

Honestly, there isn't an MVP. Just have them all skate onto the ice for a standing ovation. :)

Just to be different... Marty Biron. How huge was his play after Miller was injured to help the Sabres avoid another November/December collapse?

Honestly, there isn't an MVP. Just have them all skate onto the ice for a standing ovation. :)

Good job on Biron.

If I HAD to pick, it'd be our Co-Captains Drury and Briere. I just friggin LOVE those guys. Its like they will not let us lose.

It's very very hard to pick just one MVP on this team since on any given night different players are the main contributors...

If I had to pick one I would have to vote for Tim Connolly...mainly because he is finally living up to his potential, not only offensively, but he also has become a great backchecker on defense, which has led to numerous goals this season after he breaks up a play in the defensive end and then turns it into an offensive rush for the sabres...

However, I really couldn't argue with any of the following players:

Drury, Hecht, Briere, Miller, Afinogenov(what a season for Max!! Almost a point a game and a Plus 7 Rating!!), McKee, Numminen, or Kotalik. Biron's name has to be in there too since he has played outstanding in the majority of games he has been in.

Lydman could possibly be in there too...all he does is play solid hockey and make very few mistakes...

The real strength of this team is the core of good players throughout the lineup that love playing together and hate losing...I can't remember a team where you watched them and didn't ever worry when they went down by 2 goals cause you knew they would come back and win...its just unbelievable how they never give up and always find a way to win...

I don't want to sound overconfident about winning the Cup, but I cannot fathom this team losing 4 out of 7 games to anyone in the league, regardless of who it is...

Matter2003

I believe Hecht is the unsung hero. He gets little or no PP time and leads the Sabres in even strength points by a large margin with 34 points.

Team MVP is close between McKee, Drury, Max & Kotalik with a darkhorse vote here for Tallinder, but in the end it's Drury.

The Sabres' power play. For a team that never had one under Ruff, where would we be without it?

This suggests that Lindy is responsible. Perhaps he is. Either he learned to coach it or he finally has the right combination and types of of players to make it work. Or perhaps its all of the above.

if he hadn't missed half the season, it would be briere in a landslide. since he will have only played about 50 games by the time the regular season ends, it will be briere anyway, just by a narrower margin. he has 17 more games to assert himself as the best player on the roster and i predict he will do that.

Yeah, I don't think they have an MVP, and I think that's what makes them such a great team....the only player they have who's a legitimate star is Briere (in the eyes of those knowledgable to hockey, Hecht and possibly Drury would be too), who was hurt half the season...even then, there are many players in the NHL better than Briere who's teams are in worse shape.

The bottom line is...if say Buffalo's 2 best players got hurt...say Briere and Hecht or Briere and Miller, whoever....Buffalo would still be a pretty good team. You can't say the same for NY if Jagr and Lundqvist go down, or Philly if they lose Gagne and Forsberg, NJ if they lose Elias and Gionta, TB if they lose Richards, Kubina, or Lecavalier...

That's what makes Buffalo, Ottawa, and Carolina...if you asked 50 fans of each of the 3 teams who their MVP was, you're liable to get 10 different answers for each team...and these are the teams dominating the Conference.

Maybe the days of the dominant player controlling his team's destiny almost on his own are over...

Very hard. If i had a vote, i'd probably go and vote Jay McKee.

I agree with you. Remember when McKee went down in November? The team lost like 6 straight. I love Jay. I sure hope they don't let him go, what a mistake that would be.

And Drury is right there, too. Hard to pick on this team

if he hadn't missed half the season, it would be briere in a landslide. since he will have only played about 50 games by the time the regular season ends, it will be briere anyway, just by a narrower margin. he has 17 more games to assert himself as the best player on the roster and i predict he will do that.

That's the only reason I don't pick Briere. He is the only player that stands well above the crowd. That goal he set up against Toronto the other night was just incredible. He's a superstar!

Archived