Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Eagle Rare: Like it

Doesn't smack you in the mouth as hard as Larceny(not that that's a bad thing). Definitely has a much different feel to me. It's good.

So I just tapped out my bottle of Larceny, just started my bottle of Eagle Rare. I'm 2 for 2 on my bourbon picks. Anyone have any recommendations for my next bottle (under $35). Thanks guys and girls.

I've been enjoying Widow Jane Bourbon lately.  (it is, unfortunately, NOT under $35/bottle.  More like $65).  It is made using water from the Widow Jane limestone mine in Rosendale, NY. It is aged 10 years in oak and is pretty awesome. A bit sweet, but the mineral content of the water gives it a clean taste that cuts through the sweetness a bit.  (They also produce several other spirits including a whiskey and a rum, which I have yet to try). I've already knocked off half a bottle (and bought another so I don't run out...)

I've been enjoying Widow Jane Bourbon lately. (it is, unfortunately, NOT under $35/bottle. More like $65). It is made using water from the Widow Jane limestone mine in Rosendale, NY. It is aged 10 years in oak and is pretty awesome. A bit sweet, but the mineral content of the water gives it a clean taste that cuts through the sweetness a bit. (They also produce several other spirits including a whiskey and a rum, which I have yet to try). I've already knocked off half a bottle (and bought another so I don't run out...)

I don't mind the price hike every now and then. Getting the stink eye from the wife is mostly what I try to avoid.

• 1 month later...

Had a bourbon tasting today, which will not surprise anyone who reads my "poetry" in the If You Owned the Sabres thread.

All bourbons were 1 oz. neat with about five or six drops of water.  (An eyedropper in a small bottle of water was provided.)  I drank about 4-6 oz of ice water in between tastings.

All scores are out of 10, but that would be obvious anyway.  These notes were taken contemporaneously with the tasting; I'm just repeating them here.

Widow Jane: 8, maybe 8.5.  Nice notes of vanilla and oak.  I may have been swayed by the name, which is why we're at 8 and not 9.

Hillrock Solcra: 3.  This was terrible.  There was some spice to it, I guess, but it just tasted like alcohol.  Bourbon shouldn't taste like medicine.

Angels Envy:  8.  I posted about this on the day after Christmas 2015, I believe, and it is wonderful.  Woodsy and smooth.  A little vanilla in there.

High West Bourye: 9.  The best of the day.  It's a bourbon-rye blend and WOW, is it good!  Smooth, vanilla and pecan, and just amazing.

W.L. Weller Reserve: 7.  This was because they were out of Weller 12.  I liked it, it was smooth and had some oak to it, but it didn't exactly slay me.  The price might have bugged me, too.

Lexington:  5.  A more mellow Hillrock.  

I finished with a full (i.e. 2 oz) Blantons with some ice.  I know, it's mass-produced, but I've got some sentimental attachments to it.

Had a bourbon tasting today, which will not surprise anyone who reads my "poetry" in the If You Owned the Sabres thread.

All bourbons were 1 oz. neat with about five or six drops of water. (An eyedropper in a small bottle of water was provided.) I drank about 4-6 oz of ice water in between tastings.

All scores are out of 10, but that would be obvious anyway. These notes were taken contemporaneously with the tasting; I'm just repeating them here.

Widow Jane: 8, maybe 8.5. Nice notes of vanilla and oak. I may have been swayed by the name, which is why we're at 8 and not 9.

Hillrock Solcra: 3. This was terrible. There was some spice to it, I guess, but it just tasted like alcohol. Bourbon shouldn't taste like medicine.

Angels Envy: 8. I posted about this on the day after Christmas 2015, I believe, and it is wonderful. Woodsy and smooth. A little vanilla in there.

High West Bourye: 9. The best of the day. It's a bourbon-rye blend and WOW, is it good! Smooth, vanilla and pecan, and just amazing.

W.L. Weller Reserve: 7. This was because they were out of Weller 12. I liked it, it was smooth and had some oak to it, but it didn't exactly slay me. The price might have bugged me, too.

Lexington: 5. A more mellow Hillrock.

I finished with a full (i.e. 2 oz) Blantons with some ice. I know, it's mass-produced, but I've got some sentimental attachments to it.

Everything High West does is so good. I'm jealous.

All bourbons were 1 oz. neat with about five or six drops of water.  (An eyedropper in a small bottle of water was provided.)  I drank about 4-6 oz of ice water in between tastings.

All scores are out of 10, but that would be obvious anyway.  These notes were taken contemporaneously with the tasting; I'm just repeating them here.

Widow Jane: 8, maybe 8.5.  Nice notes of vanilla and oak.  I may have been swayed by the name, which is why we're at 8 and not 9.

Hillrock Solcra: 3.  This was terrible.  There was some spice to it, I guess, but it just tasted like alcohol.  Bourbon shouldn't taste like medicine.

Angels Envy:  8.  I posted about this on the day after Christmas 2015, I believe, and it is wonderful.  Woodsy and smooth.  A little vanilla in there.

High West Bourye: 9.  The best of the day.  It's a bourbon-rye blend and WOW, is it good!  Smooth, vanilla and pecan, and just amazing.

W.L. Weller Reserve: 7.  This was because they were out of Weller 12.  I liked it, it was smooth and had some oak to it, but it didn't exactly slay me.  The price might have bugged me, too.

Lexington:  5.  A more mellow Hillrock.  

I finished with a full (i.e. 2 oz) Blantons with some ice.  I know, it's mass-produced, but I've got some sentimental attachments to it.

I'm surprised (and jealous)... I thought you weren't a fan of the spicier bourbons and rye? That High West sounds pretty good, though.

I'm surprised (and jealous)... I thought you weren't a fan of the spicier bourbons and rye? That High West sounds pretty good, though.

I don't mind spice, but the two that scored 5 or lower tasted like pure alcohol, maybe with some flavor.  They really were bad.

I love rye.  Not sure where that part came from.

I don't mind spice, but the two that scored 5 or lower tasted like pure alcohol, maybe with some flavor.  They really were bad.

I love rye.  Not sure where that part came from.

I may have just assumed you weren't a rye fan because you hadn't liked one of the spicier bourbons I tried at the Toad a while back. :oops:

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd pop my head in here today. I've been ranging out more and more on my whiskey recently, and here's what I've tried

Elijah Craig: Very good

Knob Creek: Not as good as EC, but I liked it

JD: What a disappointment. Over priced to say the least

Bird Dog: Just don't

Root Beer Whiskey: I don't even remember the brand, my BIL bought it for shits and giggles. Well, one of those things happened but not the other

Wisers: Game over. Not only was this the best whiskey I've had (granted a limited experience), this was the best drink I've ever had, period. Incredibly good, and my first rye to boot. Going to go out and try a different rye this weekend

Figured I'd pop my head in here today. I've been ranging out more and more on my whiskey recently, and here's what I've tried

Elijah Craig: Very good

Knob Creek: Not as good as EC, but I liked it

JD: What a disappointment. Over priced to say the least

Bird Dog: Just don't

Root Beer Whiskey: I don't even remember the brand, my BIL bought it for shits and giggles. Well, one of those things happened but not the other

Wisers: Game over. Not only was this the best whiskey I've had (granted a limited experience), this was the best drink I've ever had, period. Incredibly good, and my first rye to boot. Going to go out and try a different rye this weekend

Ive had Wisers. And enjoyed it. Definitely a Canadian style rye, but much more enjoyable than the other Canadians Ive had. Real easy sipping.

I love Highland Park 12 year. Jealous of your 18!

I love all Highland Park whiskies. One of my favourite brands. High quality in all of those I have tasted. They are always done with high quality and they haven't gone too gimmicky with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive had Wisers. And enjoyed it. Definitely a Canadian style rye, but much more enjoyable than the other Canadians Ive had. Real easy sipping.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is a pretty decent Canadian style.  Not as great as the hype it has gotten; but tasty.

• 3 weeks later...

Going to the store tomorrow before the game

Amy suggestions on some rye whiskey's?

If you are talking Canadian - Canadian Club 100% blows the Crown Royal away.  If you want to try a wild Canadian rye then look for Alberta Rye Dark Batch Whisky.  It actually includes 8% of Old Grand Dad bourbon and 1 % of actual sherry blended in.

On the KY front - Rittenhouse Rye BIB is very popular for a very good reason.  That 100 proof really gives the Rittenhouse spice an added boost.  I was originally going to say that I still love Sazerac Rye (baby Saz) better.  Not sure anymore comparing my open bottles.  The Saz is fruitier but I'm picking up more of the corn now then when the bottle was new.  Though their mashbills are pretty much the same (both of course are only 51% rye).  You really can't go wrong with either for the price points.  Good value with either.

Going to the store tomorrow before the game

Amy suggestions on some rye whiskey's?

Budget?  Spicy or no?

The 2016 BTAC info is out.  Now if only I could ever find any of the actual product.

A couple of the larger retaailers around here SOMETIMES get an allotment.  3 years ago Premiere on Transit Rd received an allotment of Thomas Handy.  It was my Fathers Day gift.  Delicious.

If you are talking Canadian - Canadian Club 100% blows the Crown Royal away.  If you want to try a wild Canadian rye then look for Alberta Rye Dark Batch Whisky.  It actually includes 8% of Old Grand Dad bourbon and 1 % of actual sherry blended in.

On the KY front - Rittenhouse Rye BIB is very popular for a very good reason.  That 100 proof really gives the Rittenhouse spice an added boost.  I was originally going to say that I still love Sazerac Rye (baby Saz) better.  Not sure anymore comparing my open bottles.  The Saz is fruitier but I'm picking up more of the corn now then when the bottle was new.  Though their mashbills are pretty much the same (both of course are only 51% rye).  You really can't go wrong with either for the price points.  Good value with either.

I like Bulleit and Dad's Hat, but I'm no expert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.