Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

• 2 weeks later...

Eagle Rare: Like it

Doesn't smack you in the mouth as hard as Larceny(not that that's a bad thing). Definitely has a much different feel to me. It's good.

So I just tapped out my bottle of Larceny, just started my bottle of Eagle Rare. I'm 2 for 2 on my bourbon picks. Anyone have any recommendations for my next bottle (under $35). Thanks guys and girls.

Edited by ubkev

Eagle Rare: Like it

Doesn't smack you in the mouth as hard as Larceny(not that that's a bad thing). Definitely has a much different feel to me. It's good.

So I just tapped out my bottle of Larceny, just started my bottle of Eagle Rare. I'm 2 for 2 on my bourbon picks. Anyone have any recommendations for my next bottle (under $35). Thanks guys and girls.

Your feedback tells me that you prefer bourbons on the sweeter, more caramel side.  Best bet to avoid the higher rye bourbons given your preferences so far.  Any of the Weller bottlings would probably be a good choice for you.  They have a 12yr, Special Reserve, and 107proof Antique.  The Antique may be too hot for you (a splash of water tones it down nicely), the 12yr is the priciest.  They are all made from the same recipe that produces Van Winkle.

Edited by We've

I haven't always follow this thread so sorry if it's been discussed.

Crown Royal Northern Harvest was named the 2016 Whisky of the Year this past December.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/crown-royal-northern-harvest-rye-is-the-2016-world-whisky-of-the-year-how-a-demure-montreal-lab-worker-created-it

Well ever since this was announced I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle.  Sold out of every single LCBO in my area through Christmas.  It was announced more shipments were made to several LCBO's in mid January but it basically sells out as soon as it hits the shelf.  I finally got my hands on a bottle over the weekend.  Haven't tasted it yet but can't wait.  It's been so difficult getting a hold of a bottle that I almost feel like there needs to be something worth celebrating before I pop it open.....

For real rye?  Not rye mixed with neutral grain distillate like most Canadian whiskeys?  I'm in for a bottle!

No I believe it is.  Although I'm not an expert by any means.  If there was a way to get you a bottle I would.  If you're ever up here make sure to look out for it (although there are still supply issues).

Your feedback tells me that you prefer bourbons on the sweeter, more caramel side. Best bet to avoid the higher rye bourbons given your preferences so far. Any of the Weller bottlings would probably be a good choice for you. They have a 12yr, Special Reserve, and 107proof Antique. The Antique may be too hot for you (a splash of water tones it down nicely), the 12yr is the priciest. They are all made from the same recipe that produces Van Winkle.

Thanks for the feedback we've. I went against your advice though. I've got a new system. I'm working my way down the shelf at the liquor store. Just picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye, yesterday. I've yet to find a whiskey or whisky that I don't like. The only problem is that about 2 or 3 days after consumption, I end up with multiple packages from Amazon delivered to my house. (don't drink and Prime, kids)

Bulliet is solid stuff. And if you like it, then I read you wrong. Go for the high ryes too!

I know a guy who who works for one of our fabulous state run Pennsylvania liquor stores(it's a pretty good system) he's gonna snag me a bottle of the new Crown Royal as soon as his store gets more. They are really good about special orders. My store is in a bit of a ghetto and they really only carry what's going to sell(Hennessy, Hypnotiq, etc) so sometimes they have to order what I want, or they can tell me who else has it nearby.

Edited by ubkev

Tried putting whiskey stones in my glass today. Had them in the freezer for 24 hours, put 3 of em in the glass and the minute the booze touched them, they were warm. F'n worthless. Give me 1 ice cube, every time!

Your feedback tells me that you prefer bourbons on the sweeter, more caramel side.  Best bet to avoid the higher rye bourbons given your preferences so far.  Any of the Weller bottlings would probably be a good choice for you.  They have a 12yr, Special Reserve, and 107proof Antique.  The Antique may be too hot for you (a splash of water tones it down nicely), the 12yr is the priciest.  They are all made from the same recipe that produces Van Winkle.

Along these lines, I've become a fan of Woodford Reserve - good taste, not too sweet, but sweet enough. I've been drinking Eagle Rare for a while - good to mix with, also.

Along these lines, I've become a fan of Woodford Reserve - good taste, not too sweet, but sweet enough. I've been drinking Eagle Rare for a while - good to mix with, also.

I fu##ing love Eagle Rare. I've got 7 or 8 more bourbons to try out, but this might seriously become my house bottle.

• 2 months later...

Having a glass of Jefferson's Very Small Batch Bourbon right now.  The taste is right where I want it to be, but at the price point, I should have just gotten another bottle of Blanton's.  

I really haven't tried anything new in awhile.  My local has been getting Elmer T. Lee in lately, after a long time where he couldn't get it.  I've been drinking that most Fridays.

What I've learned after going more than a month with the cabinet empty?

The first bottle you get will taste amazing and you'll drink too much of it that night. :)

Wife grabbed Knob Creek, 9yr, 100 proof.  I felt good.

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bottle of Buffalo Trace on Saturday. Its half empty. Good, good, good stuff. 

So far Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are my favorites. Larceny coming in close behind. 

Angels Envy is coming up next month. I found a store, fairly close by that usually has it in. 

Got a bottle of Buffalo Trace on Saturday. Its half empty. Good, good, good stuff. 

So far Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are my favorites. Larceny coming in close behind. 

Angels Envy is coming up next month. I found a store, fairly close by that usually has it in. 

I haven't had Buffalo Trace in ages. I used to buy that a lot.

I've been going hard into the Old Overholt for rye and sodas lately. They're my summer drink and I'm really liking them right now. Just something about it...

I haven't had Buffalo Trace in ages. I used to buy that a lot.

I've been going hard into the Old Overholt for rye and sodas lately. They're my summer drink and I'm really liking them right now. Just something about it...

I like gin in the summer. Particularly Tanqueray and 7up. Throw a slice of lime in there. Refreshing.

Me too.

Gin goes particularly well with this:  http://www.amazon.com/Cucumber-Soda-Ounce-Cans-Pack/dp/B00DY9IADS

I also like to make a Negroni on a summer night.

Sage gin and Fever Tree Tonic makes a mighty fine Gin and Tonic. I might have to stop at Wegmans on the way home to get some tonic now.

http://www.artintheage.com/our-spirits/sage/

I like gin in the summer. Particularly Tanqueray and 7up. Throw a slice of lime in there. Refreshing.

Mm yes. I am also on the gin train. I find I very rarely order anything else these days.  A few friends of mine just released their own gin- I have no idea if it's any good, but I'll probably buy a bottle in support soon. http://www.mashandgrape.com/products/desgin

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.