Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

Tried another new bourbon today.  IW Harper. There are two versions of this whiskey, a no age statment younger bourbon, and the 15yr version.  I was fortunate enough to sample the 15 yr version.  Smooth.  Very smooth.  It is an 86% corn mashbill, and the corn sweetness was really prevalent.  There were vanilla and caramel notes, but it was really the sweet corn that I noticed. The dominance of corn sweetness really set it apart from most bourbons.   And really nice barrel notes.  The char and wood were definitely present, but not in your face.  Surprisingly, the finish was quick.  Nice oily mouthfeel.  But it was soft.  Nothing really jumped out spice-wise like most older bourbons.  Just a nice, pleasant pour.  It's a bit pricey for what it is, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a glass at the bar.

Also tried a Japanese single malt, The Hakashu 12 yr.  This stuff is really good.  Big hit of sweet barley.  A little green apple shows up in there, And then butterscotch,  Delicious. I don't drink many single malts, but I could drink plenty of this one.

Edited by weave

Tried another new bourbon today.  IW Harper. There are two versions of this whiskey, a no age statment younger bourbon, and the 15yr version.  I was fortunate enough to sample the 15 yr version.  Smooth.  Very smooth.  It is an 86% corn mashbill, and the corn sweetness was really prevalent.  There were vanilla and caramel notes, but it was really the sweet corn that I noticed. The dominance of corn sweetness really set it apart from most bourbons.   And really nice barrel notes.  The char and wood were definitely present, but not in your face.  Surprisingly, the finish was quick.  Nice oily mouthfeel.  But it was soft.  Nothing really jumped out spice-wise like most older bourbons.  Just a nice, pleasant pour.  It's a bit pricey for what it is, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a glass at the bar.

Also tried a Japanese single malt, The Hakashu 12 yr.  This stuff is really good.  Big hit of sweet barley.  A little green apple shows up in there, And then butterscotch,  Delicious. I don't drink many single malts, but I could drink plenty of this one.

Somewhat related, but have you checked out the rye selection at the Wegman's liquor store lately? Man, rye is exploding. I've never seen so many offerings. 

Somewhat related, but have you checked out the rye selection at the Wegman's liquor store lately? Man, rye is exploding. I've never seen so many offerings. 

Didn't even know Wegman's had a liquor store.  Location?

I guess it's not technically theirs but it's right next to it on Hylan Drive in Henrietta and the whole place is...obviously Wegmans assisted. 

Heh, that's a Southern Maryland trick. There's no beer, wine, or liquor sales in grocery stores, but some stores will have a store next door as it's own business, sometimes with an interior door between the two. There's one that has the liquor store inside the grocery store just roped off with a separate register.

I went to the grand opening of Marble & Rye and I was quite impressed with their rye/scotch/whiskey offerings. Some very interesting and different options from your standard bar offerings. I would definitely recommend to any Buffalo locals looking to try a new place. Downtown on Genesee st.

http://marbleandrye.net/

(My work PC won't let me post the bottle list due to the alcohol filter :( )

I guess it's not technically theirs but it's right next to it on Hylan Drive in Henrietta and the whole place is...obviously Wegmans assisted. 

Yea.. it's owned by a member of the Wegman's family.  White House liquor was in Brighton and was highly regarded before the Wegman's bought it and moved it.  The same happened with Century Liquor in Pittsford.  Century Liquor was in Greece and Wegman's moved it.

Danny Wegman cannot own a liquor store due to state law.  So, they have those stores owned by other members of the family and they just happen to all agree to use Shopper's Club and every other inventory system so they can obtain their operating efficiencies.  There are some articles floating around about the legitimacy of it all but that was their play when the state refused to allow wine sales in the grocery stores.

Frankly, I'm happy for it.  I love Century.  Great prices and knowledgeable staff.  I don't think the Palmeri's (Marketview) would hold the same opinion but hey.. they do okay too.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've read it mentioned on here before, but I finished off a horrible week at work with cake and Blanton's. Just the original single blend. One of my coworkers grabbed me and another and we enjoyed a few sips. I'll admit to not being the best bourbon drinker out there- I do the proof shudder after the initial sip if I'm not careful. But this was very nice- sweet and warm. Exactly what I needed at that moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yea.. it's owned by a member of the Wegman's family.  White House liquor was in Brighton and was highly regarded before the Wegman's bought it and moved it.  The same happened with Century Liquor in Pittsford.  Century Liquor was in Greece and Wegman's moved it.

Danny Wegman cannot own a liquor store due to state law.  So, they have those stores owned by other members of the family and they just happen to all agree to use Shopper's Club and every other inventory system so they can obtain their operating efficiencies.  There are some articles floating around about the legitimacy of it all but that was their play when the state refused to allow wine sales in the grocery stores.

Frankly, I'm happy for it.  I love Century.  Great prices and knowledgeable staff.  I don't think the Palmeri's (Marketview) would hold the same opinion but hey.. they do okay too.

I was bummed when Century moved as it was only about 5 min from work and convenient to stop at on the way home.  Good prices too.  But living on the "far" west side I've got Mahan's which I think has Century beat in price (Marketview too) and since my company moved to the west side it's just as convenient.

Is anyone collecting Blanton's corks by any chance?  I have a couple of spare As that I would like to trade for corks that I'm missing.

You collect corks?  let me know what you are missing and I'll save mine.

I should probably just assume and save them all.   :blush:

You collect corks?  let me know what you are missing and I'll save mine.

I should probably just assume and save them all.   :blush:

Just Blanton's corks.  There are eight of them; the metal horse atop the cork is in a different position on each one.  In series (B-L-A-N1-T-O-N2-S) they show the horse running.

It's entering Scotch/Irish whiskey season for me (as well as cognac/armegnac/brandy), and I went to the store yesterday to replace a bottle of Talisker 10, by far my personal favorite. They didn't have any, so I tried some Bowmore 15, which was on sale. It's not bad, but not really that compelling compared to others in its price bracket.

• 1 month later...

Wow, more than a month with no activity in here? Maybe this thread will die a natural death and be absorbed into the eating/drinking thread (and I'm okay with that... it's had an impressive run!). Anywho, thought of you guys last week because apparently Colorado has some whiskey to offer! Tried these three in a flight at nearby bar last Sat.:

Breckenridge - a little hot, but good flavor and opens up nicely with a little water

Fireside - more mellow, solid offering

Tin Cup - my favorite of the three -- no water or ice needed, very sippable with good flavor

(sorry I can't do fancy tasting notes like weave!)

Also tried another new one tonight that was a housewarming gift: Alberta Rye Whisky Dark Batch. Initial impression was reminiscent of Bacardi Oakheart (a little sweet), but more heat to this; it has a lot of backbone and some spice that would hold up well in a cocktail. I'm looking forward to trying that in an Old Fashioned in place of my usual Bulleit Rye.

Edited by biodork

Sounds good, Bio.  I've had Breckenridge before.  I recall it tasting young (hot).

Went to a Halloween party last night. Made bourbon apple pie shots to bring.  Used Evan Williams Black as the base.  Added sugar, two cinnamon sticks, 1 whole nutmeg shaved, and a big chunk of fresh ginger.  Let that all steep on the countertop for 4 days.  Strained it out and added apple cider to it (about 4:1).

Oh my aching head.

Oh, and I drank a bunch of Scotch last night too.  Glencadam 10 yr.  Highland single malt.  I'm not a peat and smoke guy, so I was prepared to not like it.  This was not a heavy pour.  Easy on the peat.  Lots of grain and fruit notes.  Gorgeous mouthfeel.  Slightly sweet on the finish.  Light and delicious.  Unfortunately, I drank about half the bottle and my recollections are suffering for it.

Sounds good, Bio.  I've had Breckenridge before.  I recall it tasting young (hot).

Went to a Halloween party last night. Made bourbon apple pie shots to bring.  Used Evan Williams Black as the base.  Added sugar, two cinnamon sticks, 1 whole nutmeg shaved, and a big chunk of fresh ginger.  Let that all steep on the countertop for 4 days.  Strained it out and added apple cider to it (about 4:1).

Oh my aching head.

Wow that sounds incredible! I need to give those shots a try. Maybe I'll make them for Thanksgiving

Oh my aching head.

That does sound amazing! And so does the scotch, although in far lesser quantities than you consumed, lol.

Oh, and I drank a bunch of Scotch last night too.  Glencadam 10 yr.  Highland single malt.  I'm not a peat and smoke guy, so I was prepared to not like it.  This was not a heavy pour.  Easy on the peat.  Lots of grain and fruit notes.  Gorgeous mouthfeel.  Slightly sweet on the finish.  Light and delicious.  Unfortunately, I drank about half the bottle and my recollections are suffering for it.

"I was prepared to not like it. ... "I drank about half the bottle".

Talk about your ringing endorsement right there.  Haha.. that's awesome.  (well, except for your recollection issues...)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.