Should Enroth start Game 4?

Jerry Jabber

Should Enroth start Game 4?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should Enroth start Game 4?

In game 1, Miller looked like the Miiler of old, being in the right positions all game long and completely shutting down the Flyers. But in games 2 & 3, he's looked very average. Granted, there were a lot of penalties and defensive breakdowns in both games, but Miller also looked out of place, didn't have his body in the right position etc... I don't know if he's fully healed from his injuries or not. In your opinion, should Ruff shake things up and put Enroth in net to start Game 4?

(I don't know if this topic is already being discussed, so if it is, my apologies!)

I'm not sure I "get" what is to be gained by starting Enroth. He's not a better goalie than Miller at this point. And I don't really buy that the team might get some sort of lift out of seeing their 2nd string goalie start a hugely important game.

For the 2 of you that have voted "yes" so far, what is the percieved benefit to starting Enroth over Miller?

I'm not sure I "get" what is to be gained by starting Enroth. He's not a better goalie than Miller at this point. And I don't really buy that the team might get some sort of lift out of seeing their 2nd string goalie start a hugely important game.

For the 2 of you that have voted "yes" so far, what is the percieved benefit to starting Enroth over Miller?

Is Miller fully recovered from his injury? Did Ruff bring him back too soon? These are things you have to question after Miller's performance over the last 2 games. I know not everything is his fault (penalties, defensive breakdowns), but he looks out of position, rattled, etc... Just my opinion.

Is Miller fully recovered from his injury? Did Ruff bring him back too soon? These are things you have to question after Miller's performance over the last 2 games. I know not everything is his fault (penalties, defensive breakdowns), but he looks out of position, rattled, etc... Just my opinion.

If either of these were the case, we would have seen the Miller from Games 2-3 in Game 1.

I'm with PTR - defensive breakdowns are the problem. I'd have all the confidence in Enroth, but starting him is masking the problem. The only reason to do so is to give the rest of the team a wake-up call and the playoffs isn't the time to do that. Start your best guy and only replace him if he's getting bombed or he gets injured.

If this team needs to start its backup goalie to motivate our defense not to f*ck up then this series is already lost.

Well, there you have it. All of us being on the outside (I presume, at least), what else is there to motivate the team that we can point to? 70 virgins if they win the series? It's not like money is a motivator - the guys who need to play better are already getting the big bucks.

What we have seen is the defense really cleaned itself up and the team won when Enroth was in.

This is a tough spot for everyone; the fans, the team, the coaches.

What we have is the Sabres from the beginning of the season - what we need is the Sabres from February on. Will the series be a microcosm of the season? I hope that's how it turns out.

Well, there you have it. All of us being on the outside (I presume, at least), what else is there to motivate the team that we can point to? 70 virgins if they win the series? It's not like money is a motivator - the guys who need to play better are already getting the big bucks.

What we have seen is the defense really cleaned itself up and the team won when Enroth was in.

This is a tough spot for everyone; the fans, the team, the coaches.

What we have is the Sabres from the beginning of the season - what we need is the Sabres from February on. Will the series be a microcosm of the season? I hope that's how it turns out.

The defense played no different in front of Enroth than Miller. Look at the games down the stretch. It's not goaltender based, it's opponent based.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/gamelog.htm

Enroth faced an average of 29 shots per game over 13 games. Miller faced 30.2 on average. That is not a significant difference.

The goalies aren't the problem. It is that our defense has not been consistently good at providing support.

The defense played no different in front of Enroth than Miller. Look at the games down the stretch. It's not goaltender based, it's opponent based.

Enroth faced an average of 29 shots per game over 13 games. Miller faced 30.2 on average. That is not a significant difference.

The goalies aren't the problem. It is that our defense has not been consistently good at providing support.

"Shots" is a vague term in this league when you're referring to the stats. Quality chances are something else.

And I don't think the question is whether one goalie is superior to the other, it's how the team plays in front of whichever goalie.

But the Sabres are losing one goal games (not counting that empty netter) so that one shot may be the difference. ;)

"Shots" is a vague term in this league when you're referring to the stats. Quality chances are something else.

And I don't think the question is whether one goalie is superior to the other, it's how the team plays in front of whichever goalie.

As I dig through other teams' stats this becomes a valid point. Our goalies don't, on average, seem to face a significantly higher number of shots than other goalies. But the quality of the shots they face might be the problem. A good defense may allow a large number of shots, but they will be easy stops. Our defense is young and seems to allow more shots that are harder for goaltenders to stop, regardless of whether it's Miller or Enroth.

For example, Vancouver allowed more shots on average against Schneider than Luongo, but maybe those shots were not high risk? My statistic of average shots faced is probably not that great. But then it's also hard to argue that the team played better in front of Enroth when I can recall him having to make saves that he had no business making in order to steal us some games. Does the team play better in front of Enroth, or has Enroth just been a tiny bit luckier than Miller?

But the Sabres are losing one goal games (not counting that empty netter) so that one shot may be the difference. ;)

:thumbsup:

Sure, why not start the rookie goaltender with 13 starts this year in a critical game 4. Goaltending is obviously the only issue with this team and everything can be blamed on the goalie. Its his fault the defence is having plenty of breakdowns, its his fault the forwards are struggling to score against Brian "Freakin" Boucher, and its his fault the team can't stay out of the penalty box. :rolleyes:

The fans are bringing this organisation down to Leafs level embarrassing

Not to be overly pedantic here but "shots" is anything but a vague term. In fact, it is rather well defined. "Quality chances" IS a rather vague term and cannot be readily defined and is open to interpretation.

Sorry mang, it just tweaks me a bit when folks disregard actual hard data and choose to use subjective items to try to make quantitative judgements. I'm pretty sure it is safe to call "quality chances" a subjective item.

Sure, why not start the rookie goaltender with 13 starts this year in a critical game 4. Goaltending is obviously the only issue with this team and everything can be blamed on the goalie. Its his fault the defence is having plenty of breakdowns, its his fault the forwards are struggling to score against Brian "Freakin" Boucher, and its his fault the team can't stay out of the penalty box. :rolleyes:

One fan. One fan in this thread has suggested swapping Miller because it's a Miller problem. Singular.

Just sayin'...

^THIS!

The good gentlemen from Canada is recognized. Well said, sir.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree and disagree. I don't think what we have is a Miller problem, although a few of the goals the past 2 games I saw as easy saves. Especially the goal that went over his shoulder on Monday. I would not be opposed to the switch. First off, I like Enroth, and think he is solid, and would like to see him get a few reps in the playoffs. Also, I know the team is playing kind of slack in front of Miller, maybe we do need to put in Enroth to create a spark, it's no different than putting a 4th liner in the top 6, A: he gets better scoring chances and you see what he can do with good players, and it starts a fire under the ass of the people around him. Just sayin'..

I wouldn't be opposed to a switch, but I'm not necessarily in favor of one either. I wouldn't surprised either way, but we need a win on Wednesday...

In game 1, Miller looked like the Miiler of old, being in the right positions all game long and completely shutting down the Flyers. But in games 2 & 3, he's looked very average. Granted, there were a lot of penalties and defensive breakdowns in both games, but Miller also looked out of place, didn't have his body in the right position etc... I don't know if he's fully healed from his injuries or not. In your opinion, should Ruff shake things up and put Enroth in net to start Game 4?

(I don't know if this topic is already being discussed, so if it is, my apologies!)

Game 5 if they go back to Philly down 3-1, miniscule chance. No way does Enroth start game 4.

Cam Ward only had 28 starts before he and the Canes won the Cup.

No one is saying that goaltending is the only issue. IMO, at $6.2 mil a season it shouldn't be an issue at all. When you make that kind of investment you should have a clear advantage in goal over a team with a goalie making $900k. The Sabres don't have much of an advantage in goal if any. That needs to change in game #4 or you might as well have started Enroth.

Archived