Playoff Goaltending

Taro T

Interesting stat.

4 shutouts in the opening game of each series.

3 of the 4 goalies that had shutouts have cap hits of at least $5MM. The other one has a cap hit of $2.75MM.

In the Sabres-Phlyers game, the $1.8MM goalie gave up one heck of a rebound to Kaleta.

Talk amongst yourselves, I'm getting verklempt. ;)

Strange considering all the stick infractions that were called. The NHL can't be very happy with the low scoring games. Considering the fact they are looking to make big time bucks with a new TV contract look for even more so-so calls and increased PPs

Anyone else notice ESPN acknowledging the NHL this week? Even Around the Horn talked about it for 45 seconds. With the possibility of no NFL and the fact that Pro BBall sucks, they may be gearing up for a run at a weekly game.

I expressed concern about having Miller steal some games in the playoffs. And the need to have someone score the BIG or KILLER goal. Miller did his part and he'll need to be in a zone more than once, obviously. Kaleta got the big goal - and I'll take it - but let's hope we get more involvement offensively from our scorers.

In all, a perfect, boring, patient playoff road win! GO SABRES!!

Interesting stat.

3 of the 4 goalies that had shutouts have cap hits of at least $5MM. The other one has a cap hit of $2.75MM.

In the Sabres-Phlyers game, the $1.8MM goalie gave up one heck of a rebound to Kaleta.

Shutouts also get into the heads of the team you are playing, lets hope some frustration sets in................ :beer:

Oh and F the flyers........... :beer:

I am going with the fantasy hockey analysis here. Your forwards will on some occasions do nothing just because thats the way it is. Your goaltender will have an impact every freaking time he plays so if you have a goaltender who even just stops 1 extra shot out of every 20 than say the average gt, its worth the extra 3-4 mil dollars. Miller "stole" and I hate to use that word, game 1 of the series. At the end of the day if its my gt is bob and I have another 4mil dollar forward on my team or I have Miller, I will take miller but in all fairness I like miller a great deal so... i am a little biased.

One game does not a series (unless it is game 7 :) ) or playoff season make. Let's worry about analyzing goaltender statistics when there is appropriate sample set.

ZOMG!! You're not supposed to say anything like this until we lose !!!

:rolleyes:

Miller played his usual game. The difference was, when he was badly caught out of position, there was so much collapsing around the net and intensity from both sides that the puck didn't make it in the net. There were 3 occasions where just a little more oomph got the puck in and Miller was helpless. Then there was the post-ringer, and 2 long-range whiffs with the glove, although they went wide.

Miller stood up for himself at least. He's giving the appearance of being pumped. I don't know how much of that is mindF'ng himself.

Philly had much better controlled scoring chances the first 2 periods. I think Weber and Myers were the shakiest of the D-men. Myers rushed the puck, but he was tense at times getting hit in his own zone. Weber made 3 passes right in front of his own net, and was not in control of his skating at times. Gragnani plays with confidence. I didn't notice Morrisson or Montador except when Montador was taking penalties.

Can Grier, Kaleta, Gerbe, Gaustad and McCormick score enough goals to lead this team? This game wasn't much different than Boston last year. The grit, gritted and the slick, slicked.

I predict Buffalo will need to score 3 goals or more to win games from here in.

Interesting stat.

I love how I give you 30 years of playoff records for goalies and you tell me the sample size is too small and I am pigeonholing my theory!!!!!

I love how I give you 30 years of playoff records for goalies and you tell me the sample size is too small and I am pigeonholing my theory!!!!!

I stand by any past critiques I have made of your analyses.

I don't recall proposing a theory in the op. I simply posted what it was - an interesting stat, nothing more, nothing less.

Miller played his usual game. The difference was, when he was badly caught out of position, there was so much collapsing around the net and intensity from both sides that the puck didn't make it in the net. There were 3 occasions where just a little more oomph got the puck in and Miller was helpless. Then there was the post-ringer, and 2 long-range whiffs with the glove, although they went wide.

Miller stood up for himself at least. He's giving the appearance of being pumped. I don't know how much of that is mindF'ng himself.

Philly had much better controlled scoring chances the first 2 periods. I think Weber and Myers were the shakiest of the D-men. Myers rushed the puck, but he was tense at times getting hit in his own zone. Weber made 3 passes right in front of his own net, and was not in control of his skating at times. Gragnani plays with confidence. I didn't notice Morrisson or Montador except when Montador was taking penalties.

Can Grier, Kaleta, Gerbe, Gaustad and McCormick score enough goals to lead this team? This game wasn't much different than Boston last year. The grit, gritted and the slick, slicked.

I predict Buffalo will need to score 3 goals or more to win games from here in.

I already have about 10 posts agreeing with the bolded part, but I disagree about Miller. He was, IMHO, razor sharp and very much in control last night. I also think he'll pitch another 1-goal-or-less game in this series (and not just due to his efforts -- the team D was very strong last night and I expect that to continue in most of the games).

I already have about 10 posts agreeing with the bolded part, but I disagree about Miller. He was, IMHO, razor sharp and very much in control last night. I also think he'll pitch another 1-goal-or-less game in this series (and not just due to his efforts -- the team D was very strong last night and I expect that to continue in most of the games).

I think the D is key to Miller doing well this series, and moving forward from here. If they continue being strong, there's no reason Miller can't pitch 1 goal or less games.

I will say this about Miller as I observed a stellar performance last night from start to finish: In recent weeks, he seemed to be overly aggressive and, as a result, putting himself out of position. I'm referring mostly to his lateral movement where he moves WAY to far left or right, leaving the net virtually wide open for rebounds, etc. (Think the big Satan goal in the Boston series last year).

Last night, Miller was referred to as cool and calm. I state it differently: he was very controlled in his movements, didn't overreact laterally, absorbed shots and prevented rebounds, and generally was zoned in throughout the game. He also defended his crease physically on more than one occasion. THIS IS THE RYAN MILLER I HAVE WANTED TO SEE FOR QUITE A WHILE. This was the Olympic Ryan Miller!!

Hope he keeps it up!!!

Interesting stat.

Bad news, everyone: The Flyers just signed Bobrovsky to a $10M/year extension. We're screwed!

The argument isn't whether or not you'd prefer the veteran star goalie over the cheap rookie goalie. It's whether you should spend big money on a star goalie or on a star forward or defenseman.

How much better is the best goalie in the league versus the 10th best goalie in the league? Or the 15th best goalie in the league? Another way to look at it: Is your team better with one more 90 point/year forward if the goaltending is a little worse? There's no easy answer.

Miller made some good saves, but the difference was that there was SO MUCH traffic in front of the net that he got away being caught on the wrong side a few times. It was there. One time he didn't even get to his feet because he was out so bad. It just worked out that pucks didn't go in. I'm not saying he played bad. The defense and backcheck clogged the lanes. I'd give more props to them. I can't blame Miller for a shutout though!

Bad news, everyone: The Flyers just signed Bobrovsky to a $10M/year extension. We're screwed!

The argument isn't whether or not you'd prefer the veteran star goalie over the cheap rookie goalie. It's whether you should spend big money on a star goalie or on a star forward or defenseman.

How much better is the best goalie in the league versus the 10th best goalie in the league? Or the 15th best goalie in the league? Another way to look at it: Is your team better with one more 90 point/year forward if the goaltending is a little worse? There's no easy answer.

The way I look at it. A great goaltender is on the ice 60+ minutes.

Even the best skater gives you about 25 minutes.

But the choice on this board seems to be framed as either/or...

While Vancouver has the Sedins and Luongo (3)

Pittsburgh has Fluery Crosby and Malkin (3)

Buffalo has Miller, Vanek and ......(2)

I don't think they need to sacrifice Miller to get the 3rd of their big 3.

Archived