Playoff Goaltending

Taro T

Was that the same contract or an extension?

Fleury is an interesting case in this conversation. When I think big-time goalies I never consider him. High pick and a Cup winner, he has the pedigree. Maybe it is the shadow of Crosby?

Fleury was a RFA at the end of the 07-08 season. Signed a 4 year contract for a cap hit of 5 million. His first year was 3.5 million.

Is Fleury a "top 5" goalie in your opinion?

No. He is today's Grant Fuhr. A good to very good goalie with an amazing surrounding cast who doesn't wilt under pressure.

On the goalie scale where is Fleury compared to Miller?

Below. But not by much. IMO there are about 4-8 goalies who are more or less interchangeable in terms of where I'd rank them. Miller is consistently closer to the top of that list than Fleury IMO.

Is Fleury a "top 5" goalie in your opinion?

On the goalie scale where is Fleury compared to Miller?

Fluery is very streaky. But he's Pittsburgh's best chance to win at this point.

Miller is much more consistent. Fleury spends more time looking spectacular because he tends to over-commit at times and needs to race back.

right on. 1st pick overall in 2003 IIRC.

Gigerre was Hartford's 1st rounder.

Not sure about Ward but he was 1st round.

ward was 25th overall in the 1st round. His numbers are actually not great but he has been just above fluery

ward was 25th overall in the 1st round. His numbers are actually not great but he has been just above fluery

Ward's got a Conn Smythe and he's a goaltender. :D

(This gets so silly :beer: )

Most valuable doesn't always mean the best compensated. But there it is.

Most valuable in the Stanley Cup playoffs seems apples to apples to me.

I think Fleury is one of the most talented netminders in the league, but it doesn't always lead to him being a top 5 player. Somewhat in the same boat as Price. When they're on, it's real tough to beat them. But being on isn't a given.

No. He is today's Grant Fuhr. A good to very good goalie with an amazing surrounding cast who doesn't wilt under pressure.

Below. But not by much. IMO there are about 4-8 goalies who are more or less interchangeable in terms of where I'd rank them. Miller is consistently closer to the top of that list than Fleury IMO.

If you were to go back 5 years and average out Miller, Fleury, Wards GAA, SV%, SO, W/L numbers regular season and playoffs you would see that none of those 3 are any better or any worse than each other.

So to sit here and say Miller is better or Fleury is better or Ward is worse just isn't true. They are one in the same, no difference.

Interesting stat.

4 shutouts in the opening game of each series.

3 of the 4 goalies that had shutouts have cap hits of at least $5MM. The other one has a cap hit of $2.75MM.

In the Sabres-Phlyers game, the $1.8MM goalie gave up one heck of a rebound to Kaleta.

Talk amongst yourselves, I'm getting verklempt. ;)

Yeah, thank God we have Ryan "All-World, Superstar" Miller. Outplayed by Rask last year and, so far, Boucher this year.

Tremendous. What's the point of having a star goalie again?

Yeah, thank God we have Ryan "All-World, Superstar" Miller. Outplayed by Rask last year and, so far, Boucher this year.

Tremendous. What's the point of having a star goalie again?

Which one do we blame Miller for?

#1 Weber's skate?

#2 Butler's cough up.

#3 Monty's gem.

Just curious.

I thought Boucher was beat clean twice.

Although ... . . . . . . . .. .Boucher played well.

#1 Weber's skate?

#2 Butler's cough up.

#3 Monty's gem.

Just curious.

I thought Boucher was beat clean twice.

Although ... . . . . . . . .. .Boucher played well.

The point is that he makes absolutely no difference in the game. We could have had just about anyone in net tonight and given up....3 goals.

This is the second year in a row where we've gone into the first round with a supposed goaltending advantage and the second year in a row where it's making absolutely no difference.

#1 Weber's skate?

#2 Butler's cough up.

#3 Monty's gem.

Just curious.

I am never one to play the blame game, however, #1 should have been saved. I don't care if it tipped Weber or not, that was a save able puck. And #2, was a massive cough up by Butler, but, Miller didn't do himself any favors by trying to punch/shove Hartnell with the puck. He never regained his position after missing a swipe and Briere had an open net.

The point is that he makes absolutely no difference in the game. We could have had just about anyone in net tonight and given up....3 goals.

This is the second year in a row where we've gone into the first round with a supposed goaltending advantage and the second year in a row where it's making absolutely no difference.

And if that replacement gives up 5 instead, is he still the same?

And if that replacement gives up 5 instead, is he still the same?

That's all dependent on whether or not the "replacement" has a cap hit less than 6 mil, which would free up room to sign some RELIABLE defensemen.

Miller is a fantastic goalie, but in order for a goalies numbers to be great, the defense has to play great, and right now Defense is issue numero uno IMO. Would i like to sign a top UFA center in the offseason to boost the offense? Hell yeah. But this year I'd much rather see us get a more seasoned and responsible D-man to patrol the blue line. The young defense is getting their first playoff jitters, and hopefully, they'll snap out of it before Wednesday.

Edit: i don't mean to say that we should be kicking miller out of here for cap room, just trying to make a point that goalies aren't always the only one responsible when pucks end up in our own net.

That's all dependent on whether or not the "replacement" has a cap hit less than 6 mil, which would free up room to sign some RELIABLE defensemen.

That's the crux of it. Would you rather have a $6M defenseman, a $6M forward, or a $6M goalie? Ten years ago I would have said goalie without hesitating, but now I think there are enough good goalies where it doesn't matter that much.

Archived